Economist: The country is almost broke

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Economist: The country is almost broke

Postby De Dragon » April 16th, 2021, 1:39 pm

Habit7 wrote:
De Dragon wrote:Yet in the most glaring of absurdities, Impsy himself said we were in economic strife just recently.

Yea we are in a little tiff called a pandemic have you heard about it? It might not just be TT alone.

Tuntso, we were in a downward spiral BEFORE Covid. Covid only made it worse.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 16th, 2021, 2:27 pm

De Dragon wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
De Dragon wrote:Yet in the most glaring of absurdities, Impsy himself said we were in economic strife just recently.

Yea we are in a little tiff called a pandemic have you heard about it? It might not just be TT alone.

Really? International observer agencies predicted growth for TT in 2020 and 2021 and going forward. Were they PNM?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 16th, 2021, 2:27 pm

De Dragon wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

They doing their utmost best to blame their ill management on covid and kams.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 16th, 2021, 2:30 pm

Habit7 wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

Really? International observer agencies predicted growth for TT in 2020 and 2021 and going forward. Were they PNM?

Hello Habit7, that's interesting to hear about! Who were these international observer agencies?

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 16th, 2021, 2:42 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

Hello Habit7, that's interesting to hear about! Who were these international observer agencies?

Hold IMF I can look more for the others
https://www.looptt.com/content/imf-proj ... th-tt-2019

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 16th, 2021, 3:19 pm

Guyana mashing up de place

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » April 16th, 2021, 3:23 pm

World Bank too https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press ... and-tobago

VexXx Dogg wrote:Guyana mashing up de place

When poor countries grow, the numbers are massive but when you are rich it tapers off.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 16th, 2021, 3:35 pm

Habit7 wrote:
SuperiorMan wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

Hold IMF I can look more for the others
https://www.looptt.com/content/imf-proj ... th-tt-2019

Thanks for this. Guyana seems like a good place to invest in right now.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » April 28th, 2021, 2:58 pm

So companies on the verge of closing up more and more and this morning founf out that Customs in El socorro has reduced their daily processing to only 15 customers per day..... So you have to wait until your good have been unstuffed and then you get an appointment for roughly 2 weeks from today, and its either Customs or the Shipping company has the nerve to tell you that you will also have to pay RENT!
WTF is really wrong with Trinidad? is this the Customs or the Shipping company trying to make you pay rent now????

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 28th, 2021, 3:03 pm

wtf really going on in this country

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 28th, 2021, 3:05 pm

cargo company rent is a normal thing, you normally get a few days free which would be enough to get your docs processed and any duties worked out

but things real sticking now thru no fault of the cargo company

Ben_spanna wrote:So companies on the verge of closing up more and more and this morning founf out that Customs in El socorro has reduced their daily processing to only 15 customers per day..... So you have to wait until your good have been unstuffed and then you get an appointment for roughly 2 weeks from today, and its either Customs or the Shipping company has the nerve to tell you that you will also have to pay RENT!
WTF is really wrong with Trinidad? is this the Customs or the Shipping company trying to make you pay rent now????

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » April 28th, 2021, 3:24 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:So companies on the verge of closing up more and more and this morning founf out that Customs in El socorro has reduced their daily processing to only 15 customers per day..... So you have to wait until your good have been unstuffed and then you get an appointment for roughly 2 weeks from today, and its either Customs or the Shipping company has the nerve to tell you that you will also have to pay RENT!

those warehouses making good extra money

normally its 48 hours free.....

i get some sheit bonded last night at ABL (air freight) for no reason
commercial stuff is 20k and up, my shipment was under that

now i have to hire a broker, prepare customs entry, wait 2-3 weeks for an appointment and pay a rental charge everyday

plus most likely refund customers in the meantime who were expecting their stuff this weekend

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » April 28th, 2021, 3:39 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:

those warehouses making good extra money

normally its 48 hours free.....

i get some sheit bonded last night at ABL (air freight) for no reason
commercial stuff is 20k and up, my shipment was under that

now i have to hire a broker, prepare customs entry, wait 2-3 weeks for an appointment and pay a rental charge everyday

plus most likely refund customers in the meantime who were expecting their stuff this weekend

I really don't know how you can take all that pressure everyday, nah.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 8th, 2021, 10:32 pm

A nation being undone

Ralph Maraj
May 8, 2021

BASED ON an assessment by Johns Hopkins University, Trinidad and Tobago is now ranked fifth among countries in the developing world, India included, with the highest rate of Covid-19 infections.

Both Government and people dropped the ball. We were warned by Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Roshan Parasram in early March of “a considerable increase” in infections. But “people at the time thought it was too small”, says the CMO, who felt “it was enough to cause a significant snowball-type effect” where “the numbers would first double and then quadruple quickly”.

He was right. We have had 1,896 new cases and 27 deaths in seven days. Also, our vaccination programme has been shaky, getting off to a late start. Too many citizens are being undone by the pandemic.

Sadly, if we survive this, there is worse trouble brewing. The sense of a terminal condition hovers over Trinidad and Tobago today. Whilst cancerous social decay destroys the social fabric, our economy is also being undone.

Our LNG (liquefied natural gas) and petrochemical industries are now further threatened. Rystad Energy says US natural gas production will grow to a new record in 2022, at 93.3 billion cubic feet per day (bcfd) and will continue to rise further, exceeding 100 bcfd in 2024, making the US an even greater competitor in LNG and petrochemicals.

More ammonia and methanol plants will now migrate to the US to access its abundant, cheap natural gas, accentuating the threat that the Point Lisas Industrial Estate could become a massive junkyard of scrap iron as it also reels from the country’s lowest gas production in 16 years and the high gas price negotiated by PM Dr Keith Rowley with upstreamers.

And Rystad vice-presi­dent for Latin America Schreiner Parker says, “I don’t know how competitive Trinidad can be against US LNG. Of four LNG trains, you will have only two running at full capacity going forward.” Houston’s Energy Intelligence Group says “doubts linger about Trinidad and Tobago’s future” in LNG, and asks whether we are headed for the LNG exit. Will another massive scrap iron junkyard now emerge at Atlantic LNG Point Fortin?

That humongous US natural gas is driven by shale production, part of the global energy revolution, including renewables, that I repeatedly warned this Government about and which placed oil and gas revenues in termi­nal decline. But for five years, the Prime Minister and his Finance Minister, Colm Imbert, both intellectually ossified by oil, waited vacuously for the return of high prices, ducking the duty of diversification. Shame!

They did absolutely nothing but borrow and spend, not even recognising, as eco­nomist Mary King reminds us, that “technologies of the Internet, robotics, artificial intelligence and automation (IRAIA)” will inevitably influence any new economic direction, inclu­ding diversification. The Diego Martin dinosaurs are the chief architects of our present economic undoing.

Now economist Dr Terrence Farrell himself des­cribes the oil and gas industry as “terminal”, warning prices will never return to the highs of the 1980s. He too talks about “a global energy transition and a shift to renewables”, and reminds the Government that “countries are accepting there’s an end to fossil fuels”.

Today, after five years as Prime Minister, Rowley pathetically asks “where, with what and how to diversify our economy”. Scandalous! He has gestated no new foreign revenue streams, without which there will be absolutely no recovery. Can our economy revive under such abysmal leadership even if we survive the pandemic? This nation is being undone.

Our situation is compoun­ded by our indebtedness. Total net public sector debt now stands at $122.19 billion, or 82.7 per cent of GDP (gross domestic product). This is bad enough. But even more alarming, as economist Mariano Browne points out, this country’s foreign debt stood at US$4.69 billion in September 2020, almost 26 per cent of the country’s net public sector debt, more than double the US$2.23 billion in September 2015.

Folks, we service our foreign debt with foreign exchange from our foreign reserves. And we are already borrowing to pay interest on existing debt. With foreign revenue reduced, outflows now exceed inflows and there is consequently no non-borrowed replenishment of shrinking reserves. How long will our reserves last to service our foreign debt and to also import the almost everything we eat, drink, wear and use in our homes, hospitals, schools, offices, roads and factories?

New Central Bank data shows foreign reserves at US$6.75 billion at the end of February 2021. But how much of that is borrowed and which must be paid back? Farrell estimates our non-borrowed reserves are already down to about US$5 billion today, a 50 per cent drop since 2015.

The Finance Minister recently confessed to having “serious difficulty finding mo­ney to keep the country running”. Alarming! This is after his Government spent an estimated US$6 billion of reserves and HSF (Heri­tage and Stabilisation Fund) drawdowns combined, and generated no new foreign revenue streams, the lifeblood of this economy.

This country is headed for bankruptcy. That feeling of “terminality” hangs in the air. We face the dire prospect, not long from now, of empty shelves in groceries, pharmacies and elsewhere. Under this Government, a nation is being undone.

—Ralph Maraj

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » May 9th, 2021, 7:32 am

The economy is not bad, neither is our inflation rate.Ask anybody that defending illegal Venezuelans....

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 9th, 2021, 9:40 am

Ralph Maraj makes alot of salient points. The only thing I disagree on is the oil price highs of the 1980s as a simple google search would show that the 1980s was known to have a significant oil price shock. That aside he is mostly correct. In the next 10 years idk what T&T would look like. The world is moving away from fossil fuels so that will mean trouble for us where we still depend largely on it. Also, I didn't realise reserves were so low. Jesus take the wheel. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mass exodus of our technocrats in the near-to-medium term (as people start to wizen up). I say this as who with a family will stay in an environment of low GDP, high unemployment, high inflation (a devaluation may have to be seriously considered to help with the forex situation) and high uncertainty about the future. And we still have no fall back sector. Tourism doesn't exist here. Agriculture is minimal. Manufacturing is tied to the energy sector and construction (regardless of what the economic recovery team tells you) does not generate forex (can't remember seeing anyone export a highway for example) so it is a useless contributor to GDP.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 9th, 2021, 10:16 am

elec2020 wrote:Ralph Maraj makes alot of salient points. The only thing I disagree on is the oil price highs of the 1980s as a simple google search would show that the 1980s was known to have a significant oil price shock. That aside he is mostly correct. In the next 10 years idk what T&T would look like. The world is moving away from fossil fuels so that will mean trouble for us where we still depend largely on it. Also, I didn't realise reserves were so low. Jesus take the wheel. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mass exodus of our technocrats in the near-to-medium term (as people start to wizen up). I say this as who with a family will stay in an environment of low GDP, high unemployment, high inflation (a devaluation may have to be seriously considered to help with the forex situation) and high uncertainty about the future. And we still have no fall back sector. Tourism doesn't exist here. Agriculture is minimal. Manufacturing is tied to the energy sector and construction (regardless of what the economic recovery team tells you) does not generate forex (can't remember seeing anyone export a highway for example) so it is a useless contributor to GDP.

There will be a Trini exodus to Guyana, mark my woods on this. Guyana's government wants more indos in Guyana.

When crime starts getting worse, cause it will, Trini indos looking for a safety and a good livelihood will go to Guyana.

Guyana is already relying heavily on Trini expertise in many areas, and many indo businessmen setting up in Guyana.

Trini will still appear 'rich' due to drug money but that won't be the reality for the everyday person.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 9th, 2021, 10:35 am

Dohplaydat wrote:
elec2020 wrote:Ralph Maraj makes alot of salient points. The only thing I disagree on is the oil price highs of the 1980s as a simple google search would show that the 1980s was known to have a significant oil price shock. That aside he is mostly correct. In the next 10 years idk what T&T would look like. The world is moving away from fossil fuels so that will mean trouble for us where we still depend largely on it. Also, I didn't realise reserves were so low. Jesus take the wheel. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a mass exodus of our technocrats in the near-to-medium term (as people start to wizen up). I say this as who with a family will stay in an environment of low GDP, high unemployment, high inflation (a devaluation may have to be seriously considered to help with the forex situation) and high uncertainty about the future. And we still have no fall back sector. Tourism doesn't exist here. Agriculture is minimal. Manufacturing is tied to the energy sector and construction (regardless of what the economic recovery team tells you) does not generate forex (can't remember seeing anyone export a highway for example) so it is a useless contributor to GDP.

There will be a Trini exodus to Guyana, mark my woods on this. Guyana's government wants more indos in Guyana.

When crime starts getting worse, cause it will, Trini indos looking for a safety and a good livelihood will go to Guyana.

Guyana is already relying heavily on Trini expertise in many areas, and many indo businessmen setting up in Guyana.

Trini will still appear 'rich' due to drug money but that won't be the reality for the everyday person.
If Guyana wants more injuns then they should look to India and not Trinidad.

Guyana it's about 40 years behind Trinidad. Good county but they primitive.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 9th, 2021, 10:39 am

i feel so too. But Guyana will eventually face the same issue as T&T. That is, fossil fuels is no longer goin to be warranted. Climate change is real. And world leaders are recognizing this. The plans for reducing carbon footprints got hit by COVID-19, but they will resume (maybe with more vigor to make up for lost time). So Guyana may have opportunities but idk how long those will last. Remember as well Guyana is one of the most corrupt nations in the world. And as we see time and time again corruption is the downfall of us in the Caribbean. So people can go to their but idk if its a good long term plan.

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » May 9th, 2021, 11:15 am

Thing about Guyana their economy is more diverse than Trinbago's ... Oil is the new kid on the block and a star performer at that... there are many many avenues for them to channel these oil revenues into other than traditional area's which are Agriculture (Rice & Sugar), bauxite, Gold, fisheries and Timber. Two big ones are eco-tourism and aquaculture.

But as pointed out the corruption is high in Guyana and I for one would advise anyone looking to invest there significantly or migrate there know many Guyanese arent like Trini's there can be alot of xenophobia as well.

Also those of allyuh who flashy before you get rob street crime there is alot more than in Trini.

All of that being said when things open up I would encourage anyone to go visit the place it is nice bad

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » May 9th, 2021, 11:23 am

elec2020 wrote:i feel so too. But Guyana will eventually face the same issue as T&T. That is, fossil fuels is no longer goin to be warranted. Climate change is real. And world leaders are recognizing this. The plans for reducing carbon footprints got hit by COVID-19, but they will resume (maybe with more vigor to make up for lost time). So Guyana may have opportunities but idk how long those will last. Remember as well Guyana is one of the most corrupt nations in the world. And as we see time and time again corruption is the downfall of us in the Caribbean. So people can go to their but idk if its a good long term plan.
Fossil fuels is no longer goin to be warrante is a marketing ploy. It a con job.

Until non fossil fuels are available for Planes , ships and trains fossil fuel will always be needed. Car are low powered and can use non fuels, but trains, planes and ship are power hungry .

Fossil fuels is here for another 50 to 100 years.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » May 9th, 2021, 11:53 am

zoom rader wrote:
elec2020 wrote:i feel so too. But Guyana will eventually face the same issue as T&T. That is, fossil fuels is no longer goin to be warranted. Climate change is real. And world leaders are recognizing this. The plans for reducing carbon footprints got hit by COVID-19, but they will resume (maybe with more vigor to make up for lost time). So Guyana may have opportunities but idk how long those will last. Remember as well Guyana is one of the most corrupt nations in the world. And as we see time and time again corruption is the downfall of us in the Caribbean. So people can go to their but idk if its a good long term plan.
Fossil fuels is no longer goin to be warrante is a marketing ploy. It a con job.

Until non fossil fuels are available for Planes , ships and trains fossil fuel will always be needed. Car are low powered and can use non fuels, but trains, planes and ship are power hungry .

Boeing says its fleet will be able to fly on 100% biofuel by 2030

22 Jan 2021

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Boeing Co said on Friday it will begin delivering commercial airplanes capable of flying on 100% biofuel by the end of the decade, calling reducing environmental damage from fossil fuels the “challenge of our lifetime.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boei ... SKBN29R2C4

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 9th, 2021, 12:17 pm

adnj wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

Boeing says its fleet will be able to fly on 100% biofuel by 2030

22 Jan 2021

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Boeing Co said on Friday it will begin delivering commercial airplanes capable of flying on 100% biofuel by the end of the decade, calling reducing environmental damage from fossil fuels the “challenge of our lifetime.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-boei ... SKBN29R2C4

like i said. the powers to be pushing for it. so it will happen

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 9th, 2021, 12:20 pm

timothymcdavid wrote:Thing about Guyana their economy is more diverse than Trinbago's ... Oil is the new kid on the block and a star performer at that... there are many many avenues for them to channel these oil revenues into other than traditional area's which are Agriculture (Rice & Sugar), bauxite, Gold, fisheries and Timber. Two big ones are eco-tourism and aquaculture.

But as pointed out the corruption is high in Guyana and I for one would advise anyone looking to invest there significantly or migrate there know many Guyanese arent like Trini's there can be alot of xenophobia as well.

Also those of allyuh who flashy before you get rob street crime there is alot more than in Trini.

All of that being said when things open up I would encourage anyone to go visit the place it is nice bad

ah yes. nice point. the energy revenues can be channeled into those sectors and make Guyana much more independent on energy revenues long term than tnt. If that will happen remains to be seen due to the corruption. Also Guyana is very xenophobic. When I did my masters i met a young woman who worked at the central bank of guyana (she took no pay leave to do a phd). And she was telling me about the hate she used to get when she was there as a black woman. So me eh know. Moving anywhere is a gamble. Its up to u to decide if the pros outweigh the cons.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 9th, 2021, 12:48 pm

elec2020 wrote:
timothymcdavid wrote:Thing about Guyana their economy is more diverse than Trinbago's ... Oil is the new kid on the block and a star performer at that... there are many many avenues for them to channel these oil revenues into other than traditional area's which are Agriculture (Rice & Sugar), bauxite, Gold, fisheries and Timber. Two big ones are eco-tourism and aquaculture.

ah yes. nice point. the energy revenues can be channeled into those sectors and make Guyana much more independent on energy revenues long term than tnt. If that will happen remains to be seen due to the corruption. Also Guyana is very xenophobic. When I did my masters i met a young woman who worked at the central bank of guyana (she took no pay leave to do a phd). And she was telling me about the hate she used to get when she was there as a black woman. So me eh know. Moving anywhere is a gamble. Its up to u to decide if the pros outweigh the cons.

This is mostly correct, but like I said things in trini under PNM will continue to get worse. Imagine facing a future of low salary or unemployment and rampant crime. Guyana will need tonnes of skilled professionals in their upcoming boom. So don't be surprised if 5000-10000 trinis leave per year to go there over the next few years.

ZR is mostly right, fossil fuels have a strong place for at least 25 years. The transition to renewables is expensive and will be done slowly.

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » May 9th, 2021, 1:28 pm

5000-10000 Trini's leave Trinidad to live in Guyana a year ... please bruh ... you ever been to Guyana?

Where are these people gonna live and work infrastructure in Guyana cant even properly service people who are there?

Average salary in Guyana is below minimum wage in Trinidad and sadly public sector salaries are now generally higher than private sector salaries.

Currently you get blackouts almost every other day in Guyana and even the locals dont drink the water if you wanna bathe in it and live in Georgetown better have a some good soap at least a protex.

80% if university graduates from Guyana leave ... the lines at the embassies of people looking to leave that country are still long ... unemployment and poverty is very high ... workforce participation is under 50%.

If people are going to Guyana to invest is one thing but even so you gonna have to go with deep pockets cause setting up a business a generator is mandatory and electricity costs 5x's over there compared to Trini.

As the Guyanese Banna would say is no bed of roses over there. I would say there are significant opportunities but you got to be prepared to work hard and seize them probably just as much drugs if not more passing through their economy
as well.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » May 9th, 2021, 1:31 pm

^ thats the thing. I have never been to guyana but I have heard that it generally living conditions are bad

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » May 9th, 2021, 2:17 pm

elec2020 wrote:^ thats the thing. I have never been to guyana but I have heard that it generally living conditions are bad

Depends bro ... if you are making money in Guyana as like anywhere else you can live well.

My point is simple if you are going to deposit yourself in Guyana make sure you visit and see the lay of the land ...alot of Trini's dont realize how good we have it here versus other parts of the caribbean versus South America electricity supply and cost is one such area.

I encourage every one of you guys to visit trust me for vacation especially during motor races you will like allyuh self down there just play it normal and dont go and show off do not allow people to sponge off allyuh you cant buy friends or loyalty there or anywhere else.

Whenever I visit I got to run away from beers and food in Guyana.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » May 9th, 2021, 2:26 pm

elec2020 wrote:^ thats the thing. I have never been to guyana but I have heard that it generally living conditions are bad

Well I have been several times. One time was for work and I was literally all over the country, in rel rel rel bush.

Last time was 2 years ago, Georgetown wasn't bad, not as developed as Trinidad but very liveable. Didn't experience any power outages in the week I was there, but it happens very often in the countryside.

Honestly, it kinda has a very early 1990s Trinidad look to it.

Not saying it's better than trindiad, but when jobs try up and people need to earn a living you go where the money is.

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » May 9th, 2021, 3:07 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:

Well I have been several times. One time was for work and I was literally all over the country, in rel rel rel bush.

Last time was 2 years ago, Georgetown wasn't bad, not as developed as Trinidad but very liveable. Didn't experience any power outages in the week I was there, but it happens very often in the countryside.

Honestly, it kinda has a very early 1990s Trinidad look to it.

Not saying it's better than trindiad, but when jobs try up and people need to earn a living you go where the money is.

What time of the year did you visit?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”