TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Bad decisions people make in their 20's..

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

teems1
punchin NOS

Re: Bad decisions people make in their 20's..

Postby teems1 » April 6th, 2021, 11:10 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:
zoom rader wrote:I learnt lessons from family members in what not to do in your 20s.

1.Don't get married, it ruined family members.
2. Taking loans to buy cars, family member always broke. Cars worth nothing.
3. They still renting rather than investing in real estate.
4. Having umpteen kids and paying child support.
5. Stayed in the same job and did not improve in their education.
6. Having big weddings only to get divorced in less than 3 years with loans.

6. They all voted red government but cuss kams for their downfall.

Tings to do in your 20s.

Save, invest, save invest.

Buy real estate, set up side business.

Education, Education

Bull at will and cover your piggy , send her home.

Some comments on your points. I kinda agree.

1. Don't get married if you're both not ready. It's not something to be rushed.
2. Car loans are inevitable, esp if you need a car to get to work etc. The lesson is don't overreach or overextend yourself. Why spend 400k on a brand new car when you can get a locally used one of the same type for half that. Basically don't be a series chaser always wanting the latest plate.
3. Renting is dead money, suffer if you must with family until you can buy.
4. Don't have more children than you can afford financially and otherwise. Some can make with one, others with 5. Individual situations are different.
5. Education used to be free, now it ain't. Treat education as something that can deliver ROI. Choose wisely.
6. No comment on politics.

The list of things to do in the 20's is spot on, I'd add start investing in your health here, not necessarily be a gym rat, but at least play some recreational sports.

Renting to gain independence from your family is ok only if you can afford it, and have a plan to not rent forever. Many marriages have the unnecessary burden of the in laws due to not moving out.

If possible, purchase a house before getting married. That is the ideal.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 6th, 2021, 11:58 am

procrastinating ....

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 6th, 2021, 12:49 pm

Spending money like there was no tomorrow because I was turning my own key as they say :lol:
Women, wine and song constantly, with no real thought about the future.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 6th, 2021, 1:26 pm

Young ones on the forum take notes.This will be you in a decade.Your future depends on what you do today.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 6th, 2021, 3:20 pm

Seems really tough to think about a future in Trinidad right now.
timelapse wrote:Young ones on the forum take notes.This will be you in a decade.Your future depends on what you do today.

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » April 6th, 2021, 3:21 pm

In many years the air headed 20 year olds will say,

"I thought the venes coming here was a wonderful thing. I felt good in my heart because I was a big humanitarian and all them xenophobe trinis didn't see my wisdom"

All of that while waiting for a job whoring venes will skin their cyat for and getting robbed on your way home by a vene gang member.

Have fun with that

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » April 6th, 2021, 3:56 pm

matr1x wrote:In many years the air headed 20 year olds will say,

"I thought the venes coming here was a wonderful thing. I felt good in my heart because I was a big humanitarian and all them xenophobe trinis didn't see my wisdom"

All of that while waiting for a job whoring venes will skin their cyat for and getting robbed on your way home by a vene gang member.

Have fun with that

Real vene gangs not on petty crime. They are more sophisticated than that.

In 20 years time, the complaints will be they can't compete with all these vene businesses and complaints against the Vene 1% will be a big thing.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » April 6th, 2021, 4:35 pm

For those that need practical advice on purchasing a used car.

Say you want a 70k car. Save aggressively until you have about that amount. At that point you can decide to buy it cash, but you wont have much to cover a car title search, insurance, transfers, and the routine maintenance to do immediately after purchase. You can decide to either buy a cheaper car and have enough to do these extras.
OR
Take out an unsecured loan for 50-70% of that amount for a short (less than 2 years) term. The interest rates are high on an unsecured loan (11-12% APR), but this assumes your family members either cant or wont assist financially, and you are young and have zero loan history with the bank. The bank wont do a car loan for anything >5 years from date of manufacture so it has to be unsecured. If you keep the loan duration short, you wont really expect to pay more than 110-115% principal as total repayment. Put the loan with a portion of the money you saved. This is good so that you dont drain every last cent you had in case an emergency comes up.

The idea of paying 8k in interest on a 50k loan for 2 years would be obscene to a lot of folks here, but it is one of the few practical options for a lot of young folks, especially those on 3 year contract employment. You never ever ever want to drain your bank account to zero after a big purchase.

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » April 6th, 2021, 4:49 pm

Moving out of your home, regardless if parents nice to live with it or not, is one of the most important things you can do in your 20s. That gain in independence and maturity is priceless.

However, a good rule of thumb is - don't ever spend more than 25% of your salary on rent. So if you're making 15k/mo, don't be spending more than 4k on rent.

A better example, don't spend more than 40% of your salary on rent+loans. So all this talk about used car, new car, 7 year loans....it's useful, but make sure whatever monthly loans + rent + credit card installments doesn't ad up to more than 40% of your pay before tax.

Otherwise, you're living beyond your means and any financial disaster such as sickness, jobloss or emergency repairs will hit you much harder.

So if you're making 15K a month, that's 6k max on loans + rent.

You can get a decent 1 bedroom even 2 bedroom for 4k
2k a month loan on a decent RORO or used car is a good.

I do echo one common sentiment expressed here:

7 year loan between 2-3k on a econobox like a City/ Accent/Elentra/Cerato/Sentra/Juke makes NO SENSE.

These cars even the Corolla, after 7 years has poor resale value.

My co-worker bought a cerato on a 7 year loan, paying 3.3k a month, and after 7 years sold it for 70k......I on the other hand bought a RORO Mazda 3 for 130k, paying 1.8k a month for 5 years, and I sold it for 50K just last year, after 6 years of ownership.

So she paid 277k in loans while I paid 108k. My downpayment was more yes but not substantially more.

She basically would have paid 150k+ more for her car, and for 5 years I had any extra 1.5k to save/spend.

On top of that she preferred how my Mazda3 drove compared to her Cerato.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » April 6th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Cerato has low profiles with stiff shocks and a torsion beam. It made to look presentable and that's it.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » April 6th, 2021, 5:06 pm

Would've not wasted so much time being heartbroken over women who didnt matter in the long run. I remember failing a course in final year UWI because i was trying to win back my ex. I never got her back (in hindsight, thankfully) & had to write over the exam where I passed.
I used to real drink rum and go all those clubs, like Platinum on a Wednesday, Coconuts on a Thursday and Pier 1 on a Friday, rather than focus on studying. In hindsight i shouldve lessened that, but I chalk it up as experience now.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 6th, 2021, 5:13 pm

Devourment wrote:Moving out of your home, regardless if parents nice to live with it or not, is one of the most important things you can do in your 20s. That gain in independence and maturity is priceless.

However, a good rule of thumb is - don't ever spend more than 25% of your salary on rent. So if you're making 15k/mo, don't be spending more than 4k on rent.

A better example, don't spend more than 40% of your salary on rent+loans. So all this talk about used car, new car, 7 year loans....it's useful, but make sure whatever monthly loans + rent + credit card installments doesn't ad up to more than 40% of your pay before tax.

Otherwise, you're living beyond your means and any financial disaster such as sickness, jobloss or emergency repairs will hit you much harder.

7 year loan between 2-3k on a econobox like a City/ Accent/Elentra/Cerato/Sentra/Juke makes NO SENSE.

My co-worker bought a cerato on a 7 year loan, paying 3.3k a month, and after 7 years sold it for 70k......I on the other hand bought a RORO Mazda 3 for 130k, paying 1.8k a month for 5 years, and I sold it for 50K just last year, after 6 years of ownership.

So she paid 277k in loans while I paid 108k. My downpayment was more yes but not substantially more.

She basically would have paid 150k+ more for her car, and for 5 years I had any extra 1.5k to save/spend.

Which cars do you recommend to own and avoid? What do you think about an evo x?
What has the highest resale value?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » April 6th, 2021, 5:17 pm

goalpost wrote:Would've not wasted so much time being heartbroken over women who didnt matter in the long run. I remember failing a course in final year UWI because i was trying to win back my ex. I never got her back (in hindsight, thankfully) & had to write over the exam where I passed.
I used to real drink rum and go all those clubs, like Platinum on a Wednesday, Coconuts on a Thursday and Pier 1 on a Friday, rather than focus on studying. In hindsight i shouldve lessened that, but I chalk it up as experience now.

This is what being young is about though, you think all them men who study hard and didn't chase women are happy now?

Balance and prioritizing the right things is what's important though and you didn't at the time, but you made up.

Plenty men go down a path and never recover.

But it's important to remember, you only young once. My uncle is a former presidential medal winner and he always advises me, don't be like him. He sacrificed his youth to get where he is, but he said at around 40, he went through a mid-life crisis and wished he had more fun as a youth.

Do you think I will ever regret all the fun I had as a youth? Hell I still having fun now and I'm almost 40, I don't intend to stop.

Money on experiences is worth just as much as money on a house.

SuperiorMan
punchin NOS

Postby SuperiorMan » April 6th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
goalpost wrote:Would've not wasted so much time being heartbroken over women who didnt matter in the long run. I remember failing a course in final year UWI because i was trying to win back my ex. I never got her back (in hindsight, thankfully) & had to write over the exam where I passed.

This is what being young is about though, you think all them men who study hard and didn't chase women are happy now?

Balance and prioritizing the right things is what's important though and you didn't at the time, but you made up.

But it's important to remember, you only young once. My uncle is a former presidential medal winner and he always advises me, don't be like him. He sacrificed his youth to get where he is, but he said at around 40, he went through a mid-life crisis and wished he had more fun as a youth.

Do you think I will ever regret all the fun I had as a youth? Hell I still having fun now and I'm almost 40, I don't intend to stop.

what the f.uck you know

you are a failure as a person who makes hundreds of alt accounts and posts pics of girls you imagine you sleeping with.
your uncle prob just as imaginary as all them girls you talking about....creepy weirdo you are.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » April 6th, 2021, 5:27 pm

He make some sense there though.Enjoy your youth to some extent.But also plant your seeds for the future self to reap

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 6th, 2021, 5:40 pm

timelapse wrote:He make some sense there though.Enjoy your youth to some extent.But also plant your seeds for the future self to reap
I think it's all about balance but what is the right balance?
You dont want to enjoy to much and end up broke and destitute and then again you dont want to end up old and rich like Emile Elias and chasing 17 year olds...

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 6th, 2021, 5:51 pm

wtf wrote:
Devourment wrote:Moving out of your home, regardless if parents nice to live with it or not, is one of the most important things you can do in your 20s. That gain in independence and maturity is priceless.

Which cars do you recommend to own and avoid? What do you think about an evo x?

Aside from the currently very high price for an Evo X, the maintenance costs can be quite high.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » April 6th, 2021, 5:53 pm

SuperiorMan wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

what the f.uck you know

you are a failure as a person who makes hundreds of alt accounts and posts pics of girls you imagine you sleeping with.
your uncle prob just as imaginary as all them girls you talking about....creepy weirdo you are.

LOL triggered much?

hold that and STFU

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » April 6th, 2021, 5:56 pm

wtf wrote:
timelapse wrote:He make some sense there though.Enjoy your youth to some extent.But also plant your seeds for the future self to reap
You dont want to enjoy to much and end up broke and destitute and then again you dont want to end up old and rich like Emile Elias and chasing 17 year olds...

Yea I know men who really over do it too.

It is 100% about balance and living within your means. I just not cynical about saving and being a miserly like others.

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » April 6th, 2021, 5:58 pm

wtf wrote:

At that age, i eh thinking about balance nah
At that age, i wanted to bull ALL d woman, drink ALL d alcohol, smoke ALL d cigarettes, strangely never got into the weed smoking.

Now, nearing 40, i only want to still bull ALL d women, but doh tell my wife that

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 6th, 2021, 6:12 pm

blue bra on point.

widdyphuck
18 pounds of Boost

Postby widdyphuck » April 6th, 2021, 7:38 pm

goalpost wrote:
wtf wrote:

At that age, i wanted to bull ALL d woman, drink ALL d alcohol, smoke ALL d cigarettes, strangely never got into the weed smoking.

Now, nearing 40, i only want to still bull ALL d women, but doh tell my wife that
Well he tried but got a case against himself..
Goes to show that money isn't everything. Its It's probably youth..

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » April 6th, 2021, 7:56 pm

wtf wrote:Which cars do you recommend to own and avoid? What do you think about an evo x?

For a sedan, cant beat a Corolla, Civic or Lancer, very reliable cars if you do your maintenance, very few surprises.

Civic and corolla are champs of resale value, not the lancer so much.

Evo X is very expensive, 250-300k for a used one locally. All have been modified to hell and back, and the SST transmissions are fragile.

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » April 7th, 2021, 12:09 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
wtf wrote:Which cars do you recommend to own and avoid? What do you think about an evo x?

For a sedan, cant beat a Corolla, Civic or Lancer, very reliable cars if you do your maintenance, very few surprises.

Civic and corolla are champs of resale value, not the lancer so much.

Evo X is very expensive, 250-300k for a used one locally. All have been modified to hell and back, and the SST transmissions are fragile.

Nothing wrong with buying a new Corolla or Civic. I was just saying, you could get a used one with 60,000 KM or less on the Odo for almost half the cost of a new one.

It makes far more economic sense to buy a good 5 year used car versus a new one.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » April 7th, 2021, 12:17 pm

goalpost wrote:
wtf wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thought was just me.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » April 7th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Staying in TT and the caribbean after age 20.

Thinking that what's occuring in TT is what is occuring in the world. Not educating themselves up to a world class standard so they end up falling furthet behind.

My advice would be if you can do it study and work abroad for a couple of years. Expand your horizon as much as possible.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 7th, 2021, 1:23 pm

1. Eagerness to leave your parents house
2. Not furthering education
3. Studying cars, music, movies and woman
4. Taking advice from societal idiots and rejects
5. Investing in car and converting same into a project
6. Eating junk
7. Not exercising enough
8. Having too much “friends”
9. Alcohol and cigarettes....there is no positive here for your liver, kidneys, lungs and heart as examples.

What we should do is,

1. Spend quality time with loved ones...time is precious as tomorrow is not guaranteed for any of us
2. Be more generous and responsible
3. Hold yourself to a higher standard of moral, ethical and spiritual practices
4. Make sure you have a solid educational footing
5. I know you want a car but don’t buy brand new just yet. Look for a good roro or local used vehicle first
6. If you want to settle and start a family, do so while you young. Don’t be old and now looking to put down child, that to me is not fair to the kid cause younger dads are more physically fit generally and would live to experience more milestones in the child’s life eg. Being there for graduation and wedding etc
7. I know you want to eat the best and travel to exotic destinations to have a vacation etc. I don’t blame you. I know you want brand name clothes and foot wear. Some even like a lot of jewelry etc. I would say channel those resources towards land acquisition. By the time you hit the 30s you won’t regret it.
8. Stop eating out and focus more on healthy home cooked food
9. Align yourself with progressive people (not lying deceitful pyramid scheme cult of posers and wolves who wanna get rich quick eh). No. Align yourself with humble people who don’t gossip and complain and whose mission is one of continuous improvement.

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » April 7th, 2021, 1:25 pm

The vast majority of young adults have great difficulty with taking sound advice from their elders.
The developmental conditions today with social media and extremely sophisticated media messaging has made the ability to make deliberate good decisions almost impossible for young inexperienced adults.
The choices we make without the benefit of experience are almost completely dependent on what kind of social and cultural conditioning we have been exposed to.
Young adults today are really navigating a mine-field of life defining traps and the matrix is very difficult to negotiate.
Thankfully a few defy the odds.

tarzan
Sweet on this forum

Postby tarzan » April 7th, 2021, 1:57 pm

imo migrating at this point will be a great option in your 20's, i predict there will be a serious brain drain after the borders reopen, in the past ten years the quality of life has not gotten any better also with the steadily increasing inflation rate it makes it hard for us to live a good life even if we stick to the code.

all are very valid points and i agree with most of the advise given, stay away from negative thinkers....educate yourself on an international standard and move outta here...

until our economy moves away from being dependent on oil and gas prices opportunities will become less and less avaliable.......dont ever think that youre too old or its too late to make a transition to another country...

trinidad will always be governed by corruption and narco trade......in closing you could live the most honest, loyal, ethical life and still become victim to this harsh system.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » April 7th, 2021, 4:51 pm

bad decisions people in their 20's making is feeling they invincible to covid an going out despite better judgement and govt orders to stay the fuq home and they go end up dead dead dead as you seeing in the news over the easter weekend. idk if they just want to make news. why the hell you need to go beach, for a drive, mall, river, liming when it have covid rampant. people in their 20 should tell they relatives dont beat up over their stupidity.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”