Forums

Exercise caution when buying your pharmaceuticals

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

jedismurf99
Street 2NR

Exercise caution when buying your pharmaceuticals

Postby jedismurf99 » February 26th, 2021, 8:58 am

I've been in the industry for a few years now and just like with any job, only when you're on the inside can you see the truth behind what people take for granted.

While there is a lot I could talk about, I've decided to narrow it down to one particular case for today:

Terramycin Opthalmic Ointment.
The local agents (we used to get it from Smith Robertson, but I think Massy Distribution carried it as well) for this product haven't stocked it since 2018; with the last batch available from them expiring in September of that year.
A part of the problem is that some doctors, especially in hospitals and clinics, are just out of the loop and continue to write prescriptions for people to use this. Even with some knowing it isn't available in the public health system right now, there is often a note on the prescription that the patient must "buy it outside" or "to purchase".
Seeing this so called gap in the market, some "suitcase trading" outfits have been importing it from places like Turkey or Pakistan... it's what the people want right?

There are three concerns with that, and I'll go through them in a little detail:

1) It is illegal to import antibiotics not conforming to Food and Drug registered items. While you may or may not care about that, it leads into the next two problems.

2) Proper storage of all pharmaceuticals ensures their integrity. There is no way to know how these drugs were kept - in the case of Terramycin the stable temperature range is 15*C to 25*C with excursions at 30*C. When this thing was sitting in the trunk of someone's car for the last couple days while they drive around pushing it, let me tell you it was hotter than 30*C in there for many hours.

3) It might actually be completely counterfeit. There have been numerous cases where drugs that were supposedly packaged for Eastern European, Turkish, Pakistani and other markets (where prices are kept low by both purchasing power constraints and government subsidies) have been totally fake.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Pakistan_fake_medicine_crisis is one example where several people died.

Closer to home there was an incident two years ago with a drug through an improper channel:
https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/7-blinded-by-tainted-eye-injection-6.2.954394.f1a1eb0e10

So what does all of this have to do with you? When your grandmother comes back from the clinic after seeing the doctor about an eye with yampee and she has a prescription to buy this from your local pharmacy... they should tell you it isn't available and to go back to get a new prescription for Tobradex or something instead.

If they try and sell you the attached image, with no English writing on it at all, you might need to change pharmacy.

P.S. Personally I've seen three people use this after not listening to me and come back with pain in the eye, blurred vision for several days, and in the end the infection didn't even clear up.
Attachments
Terramycin Fake.jpg

agent007
punchin NOS

Re: Exercise caution when buying your pharmaceuticals

Postby agent007 » February 26th, 2021, 9:13 am

Thank you for the heads up, we appreciate the info!

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 26th, 2021, 9:19 am

Thanks - didn't realise there was counterfeit stuff for this O_o

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » February 26th, 2021, 9:49 am

All good medicines have knock offs.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 26th, 2021, 10:13 am

Good info....haven't actually seen that medicine in years for real though.

jedismurf99
Street 2NR

Postby jedismurf99 » February 26th, 2021, 12:48 pm

Dave wrote:All good medicines have knock offs.

Oh for sure, and sometimes you're paying over $600 for very dubious stuff.

How it's supposed to look:
Plavix Real.jpg

How they have it:
Plavix Fake.jpg

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » February 26th, 2021, 1:00 pm

Whoah

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » February 26th, 2021, 1:01 pm

Good looking out.
I saw MTA Pharmacy trying to alert the public of this exact problem quite a few times based on what their customers bring in.

https://www.facebook.com/20639114703399 ... 809398858/

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » February 26th, 2021, 5:05 pm

I never saw a note on any state health prescription expressing "to purchase" though.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 26th, 2021, 5:14 pm

real plavix have a ghost on the box?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 26th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Well now, this explains a lot.

Last batch of meds, I was literally a step away from having seizures. Friday, I was trembling a lot and very unsteady. Couldn't even cut my own nails, cold sweating and very shaky, just about out of it.

Nothing seems to have any side effects on me except this course.

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » February 26th, 2021, 8:44 pm

Strange, because I always thought everything coming out of India and Pakistan like Cipla and the like were already fake. So we're saying there may be fakes of the fake? :shock:

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » February 26th, 2021, 9:15 pm

What you took? Antibiotics?
nervewrecker wrote:Well now, this explains a lot.

Last batch of meds, I was literally a step away from having seizures. Friday, I was trembling a lot and very unsteady. Couldn't even cut my own nails, cold sweating and very shaky, just about out of it.

Nothing seems to have any side effects on me except this course.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » February 26th, 2021, 9:19 pm

They hadda be special to knock off generics but it probably happens. Usually they'll go for the big brands; Bayer, sanofi aventis, Pfizer, janssen...
alfa wrote:Strange, because I always thought everything coming out of India and Pakistan like Cipla and the like were already fake. So we're saying there may be fakes of the fake? :shock:

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 26th, 2021, 9:41 pm

Long time since i have seen Terramycin.

Reminds me a bit where in some hospitals, patients that under a specific medication taking both the genuine and generic versions as it carries the same name and it's being mixed during storage.

Keep posting cases OP.

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » February 26th, 2021, 9:45 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Good info....haven't actually seen that medicine in years for real though.

For bacterial eye infections use Vigamox, thank me later

jedismurf99
Street 2NR

Postby jedismurf99 » February 27th, 2021, 10:47 am

alfa wrote:Strange, because I always thought everything coming out of India and Pakistan like Cipla and the like were already fake. So we're saying there may be fakes of the fake? :shock:

This is a slightly involved topic, let me see if I can break it down:

Original / Genuine / Brand Name
This is referring to only one thing - the branded version of a drug that is being sold by the company who holds the intellectual property rights for the development of the drug.

This is further broken down into the officially registered and distributed version for our territory, and then other versions with other languages, packaging or variations meant for sale in different markets.

Example: Glucophage Metformin 500mg manufactured in France by Merck for our market. Distributed by Oscar Francois.
Metformin Glucophage.jpeg

Generic
After a set number of years, the chemical formula of the drug that was protected information becomes public information, (but not necessarily the technology to formulate it, or the processes used to mass produce it). Other companies are free to make their own version of the drugs, which is supposed to go through thorough testing to make sure it has a similar effect. The quantity and chemical makeup of the "active ingredient" must be the same. The excipients (the other inactive ingredients making up the rest of the dose are not necessarily the same.

Examples: Metformin 500 by the Denk company manufactured in Germany for sale in EU and Caribbean, distributed by Massy Distribution.
Health 2000 Metformin 500mg, manufactured by S Kant Healthcare in India for sale in Canada and Caribbean, distributed by Optima Pharmaceuticals.
Metformin Generics.jpeg

Fake / Counterfeit
As mentioned earlier in this thread, companies faking drugs, mostly fake the "original" one, so they will look similar to the original and it should be impossible to tell the difference if done well BUT as far as I know, there is almost no faking of drugs meant for our market. What that means is that you are unlikely to run across a fake drug that looks exactly like the officially registered drug in Trinidad.

The risk here is those drugs not meant for our market in the first place, and being distributed by sketchy third party suitcase traders. They will look somewhat similar, but with foreign markings and generally a cheaper price, but not by much because most of the savings will be profits for pharmacies who don't care to inform you.

Here's an example with some heart medication:
Original (Servier Corporation, Oscar Francois) and Generic (Cipla, Physicians Pharmaceuticals Ltd.) for our market:
Vastarel Trivedon.jpeg

Finally, here is an example of the same drug, meant for the Turkish market, and distributed by a fly by night operation with a link in Customs:
Note, this could be real or fake, we will never know without lab testing.
Vastarel 35mg FAKE.jpg

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”