TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Yellow Fever Alert: Monkeys test positive - Get vaccinated if you haven't before!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Yellow Fever Alert: Monkeys test positive - Get vaccinated if you haven't before!

Postby redmanjp » February 24th, 2021, 2:15 pm

from 1 virus to another

https://trinidadexpress.com/newsextra/yellow-fever-alert-monkeys-test-positive/article_91cb51ec-76a6-11eb-8607-db2137cde72c.html

Yellow Fever Alert: Monkeys test positive
Feb 24, 2021 Updated 17 min ago

The Ministry of Health is urging the public to get vaccinated against yellow fever after the vi­rus was detected in mon­keys in South Trinidad.

In a release yesterday, the ministry said there has been an increase in deaths among the monkey population in this area, and the Ca­ribbean Public Health Agen­cy (CARPHA) has confirmed the presence of the fellow fever virus in samples obtained from the bodies of the dead monkeys.

It added that the ministry’s Veterinary Public Health Division and the Insect Vector Control Division routinely monitor the monkey population.

The yellow fever virus can be transmitted to humans mainly through the bite of an infected mosquito. Mosquitoes get the virus by feeding on infected primates (humans, monkeys) and can then spread the virus to other primates (hu­man or non-human).

The ministry no­ted the majority of the popu­lation would already have been vaccinated against yellow fever as this is a vaccine given in early childhood.

However, it is advi­sing the public to review the yellow fever (YFV) section on their immuni­sation cards to ensure they have been vaccina­ted.

“Anyone who has not been vaccinated against yellow fever should vi­sit their nearest public health centre to do so as soon as possible. It is especially important that children are kept current with their vaccination schedules.

“Children should receive their yellow fever vaccine when they are one year old. A single primary dose of the yellow fever vaccine provides life-long protection,” the ministry said.

Despite the discovery of the virus in monkeys in South Trinidad, the ministry said there is no outbreak of yellow fever in the human population at this time. It added that no case of yellow fever has been recorded in T&T since 1979.

Persons who are espe­cially at risk if they have not been vaccina­ted include veterinary personnel, laboratory workers who routinely handle wild-type yellow fever virus, agricultural personnel who frequent forested areas, hunters, forest workers, hikers and campers, defence force personnel and health workers who frequent forested areas, and persons who live near forested areas.

The ministry said anyone who develops symptoms of yellow fever should immediately visit a health facility.

Symptoms of yellow fever may include fever, headache, jaundice, muscle pain, fatigue, abdominal pains, bleeding gums or vomiting.

Questions on this matter can be directed to the Insect Vector Control Division by calling (868)-612-4823.
Last edited by redmanjp on February 24th, 2021, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Yellow Fever Alert: Monkeys test positive - Get vaccinated if you haven't before!

Postby Dizzy28 » February 24th, 2021, 3:11 pm

Adults should be ok. Yellow Fever shots offer life coverage and as far as I know it is mandatory here to be given at 12-15 months and 9-12 years and only the young who are not up to date with shots would be without it.

In May 2014, The World Health Assembly adopted an amendment to Annex 7 of the International Health Regulations (2005) (IHR), which stipulates that the period of protection afforded by yellow fever vaccination, and the term of validity of the certificate will change from 10 years to the duration of the life of the person vaccinated. On 11 July 2016, the amended IHR Annex 7 entered into force and is legally binding upon all IHR States Parties. The revised Third Edition of the IHR includes this amended text.

Thus, from 11 July 2016 the certificate of vaccination against yellow fever is valid for the life of the person vaccinated. This lifetime validity applies automatically to all existing and new certificates, beginning 10 days after the date of vaccination. Accordingly, as of 11 July 2016, revaccination or a booster dose of yellow fever vaccine will not be required for international travellers as a condition of entry into a State Party, regardless of the date that their international certificate of vaccination was initially issued.
https://www.who.int/ith/updates/20160727/en/

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Yellow Fever Alert: Monkeys test positive - Get vaccinated if you haven't before!

Postby sMASH » February 24th, 2021, 3:37 pm

vaccinate the monkeys.

by chance all the foreigners like the venes, chin, or guyanese, whats the protocol for their entry and vaccines?

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 24th, 2021, 3:50 pm

Guys please be careful how we use the term monkeys.

Some of our members may find it offensive.

Oh wait Zoom isnt with us atm.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 25th, 2021, 11:52 am

Dizzy28 wrote:Adults should be ok. Yellow Fever shots offer life coverage and as far as I know it is mandatory here to be given at 12-15 months and 9-12 years and only the young who are not up to date with shots would be without it.

coverage only 89%. should be at least 95% according to WHO. so that's like > 150,000 not vaccinated. so pl should get their shot so we don't create another outbreak here.

https://newsday.co.tt/2021/02/24/tt-on-high-alert-for-yellow-fever/

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 25th, 2021, 12:08 pm

revenge from the monke

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 25th, 2021, 12:45 pm

only concern is they now have to roll out both yellow fever and covid vaccines at the same time which will slow the rollout of the covid vaccine

nature wants its revenge 1 way or another

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 25th, 2021, 1:10 pm

redmanjp wrote:only concern is they now have to roll out both yellow fever and covid vaccines at the same time which will slow the rollout of the covid vaccine

Vaccinations are happening in Trinidad for all the mandatory and even non mandatory diseases regardless of Covid.
Just two weeks ago where I work Min of Health came on the request of one of the tenants and gave the most recent flu vaccine to those who wanted. I was busy or else I would have also taken it.

You worry too much.

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » February 25th, 2021, 1:12 pm

There are monkeys that look like caucasians chinese and Indian to name a few..thats why I can't take you serious you seem to be a racist mofo and for that I wish you fire on earth...

You would never look like those Venes you worship,to them you're just a straight haired black bottom asian monkey..although many of them look like albino monkeys themselves..

MaxPower wrote:Guys please be careful how we use the term monkeys.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 25th, 2021, 2:41 pm

VII wrote:There are monkeys that look like caucasians chinese and Indian to name a few..thats why I can't take you serious you seem to be a racist mofo and for that I wish you fire on earth...

You would never look like those Venes you worship,to them you're just a straight haired black bottom asian monkey..although many of them look like albino monkeys themselves..

MaxPower wrote:Guys please be careful how we use the term monkeys.

Hello VII,

Straight haired black bottom asian monkeys?

Albino monkeys??

As i said, careful how you use the term and desist from the racial name calling.

The earth is already on fire bro so your wish came through.

But i wish you all the best man.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 25th, 2021, 4:57 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
redmanjp wrote:only concern is they now have to roll out both yellow fever and covid vaccines at the same time which will slow the rollout of the covid vaccine

Vaccinations are happening in Trinidad for all the mandatory and even non mandatory diseases regardless of Covid.
Just two weeks ago where I work Min of Health came on the request of one of the tenants and gave the most recent flu vaccine to those who wanted. I was busy or else I would have also taken it.

You worry too much.

covid vaccines are not being rolled out yet except to a few health workers- when the mass vaccination start that's what i'm referring to- we have 50000 ppl to vaccinate against covid from the 1st covax batch but now 115k + for yellow fever. moms eh waiting months again for the vaccine or whenever they decide private docs could get it.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”