TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Looking for schedule 80 pipe 3.5" with threaded ends.

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Looking for schedule 80 pipe 3.5" with threaded ends.

Postby nervewrecker » January 31st, 2021, 11:45 pm

I need something to hold at least 1000 psi of carbon dioxide with a regular bringing it down to about 200psi for 2 second bursts to keep the intercooler cool and condenser cold.

A venturi system seems to work wondeers as I mocked up on while the docs told me keep put.
On 150 psi it does a lot of damage and can be used to angle the cold stream and spread it nicely.
I used a half inch pipe with both lines in it. One copper and one nylon. The center restriction is right where the copper ends and the nylon about 1/4" behind..

I may be charged with the responsibility of doing the cooling system in the painless performance Nissan skyline that is due to be released so I looking at getting my name on it. System need to run for 20 minutes max.

As well as mine together with the potential sponsors.

Typing this is laborous in my state
Last edited by nervewrecker on January 31st, 2021, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Looking for schedule 80 pipe 3.5" with threaded ends.

Postby adnj » February 2nd, 2021, 11:58 am

3-1/2" nominal pipe has an O.D. of 4.0 inches.
3" nominal pipe has an O.D. of 3.5 inches.

This is one steel pipe size that you really have to be specific about because of the sizing ambiguity.

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Looking for schedule 80 pipe 3.5

Postby sMASH » February 2nd, 2021, 12:55 pm

a guy on fb had some drill pipe for sale,,, i think up couva... that is what might get u tru

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 2nd, 2021, 10:13 pm

I built a venturi system that takes very little water. it's designed to cool the area around the house and the galvanise. The air comp is enough so I looking for a means of storing massive amounts of compressed gas. CO2 is a refrigerate and it cheap. I l9kkingnfora conatijerb to mstorem huge quantities wihnna regulator. aboutn 250psi should be enough . drill pipe cannhandlemthenpressutenas nitncn edaceedb 1000 psi easy.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 2nd, 2021, 10:29 pm

How hot is the area where you plan to store the cO2?
I only ask because it may not reach 1kpsi, or might very well surpass that pressure level and that could raise possible safety issues depending on the vessel.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » February 2nd, 2021, 11:56 pm

You can check out Lo-Tec

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 3rd, 2021, 12:09 am

or u can buy a small scuba tank. those things supposed to be 4500 psi. pops have one for the air rifle, and refills every so often at the riffle shops.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 3rd, 2021, 3:01 am

88sins wrote:How hot is the area where you plan to store the cO2?
I only ask because it may not reach 1kpsi, or might very well surpass that pressure level and that could raise possible safety issues depending on the vessel.

if i exceed 33 c is plenty.

i thinking asking dumorefor a cng tank.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 3rd, 2021, 5:22 am

a proper tank might be the only way to get it filled,
IGL is very stringent on what tanks they will fill in to.

on my alum soda co2 tank I used a key to scuff my name into the side of it and the guy refused as he said the guys inside would say it scratched and damaged, but said if I painted it he would allow it as the guys would not know.

co2 is required or if air can be used than the fireman scba 4500psi tank(air rifle type) is an option

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 3rd, 2021, 6:54 am

@sMASH
scuba tanks are rated 3k-3.3k psi, cf scba tanks are rated 4.5kpsi.

@pugboy
Quite correct about IGL, dem don't play around and just fill any vessel you bring with any gas you want.
Air cools during expansion but at lower pressures not as well as cO2, so some cooling efficiency and performance would be lost.

nerve
You could consider using a buddy bottle or two, or three, filled 30% full with dry ice. That way a rupture would cause less damage IF one occurred, and you can fill it yourself. Just be sure that the system has a good gauge on it so that you can bleed off any excess pressure and liquid and you good to go

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 3rd, 2021, 7:13 am

a long time rotary mechanic from st james wayne alexis aka "doc"
tried a dry ice intercooler on an rx2 in the 80s
intake basically running through a canister filled with dry ice.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 3rd, 2021, 8:48 am

pugboy wrote:a long time rotary mechanic from st james wayne alexis aka "doc"

that wouldn't work. because even tho dry ice is cold, it's temps at ambient pressure are not low enough to get the required effect of cooling the liquid/gas passing at speed thru a pipe/intake/intercooler. Basically flow inside would be moving too fast for the dry ice to cool it.
however, cO2 gas is much colder than it's solid counterpart, so a fine spray of cO2 gas vented directly across an intercooler would work, provided you have enough gas at high enough pressure to run it for a while. Essentially, lower temps can be reached by venting the gas directly across the surface of the chamber containing the gas/liquid to be cooled, and it's cooling smaller chambers with smaller volumes so efficiency increases. Only problem I can see is making sure the cO2 hits and stays on the surface to be cooled as long as possible. Easy enough to do, shield the rear and sides and the base, leaving a vent on top rear and the front open with a front mounted fan and your cO2 nozzles between the shielding and cooler. Shielding would have an additional small benefit of keeping some of the heat from the engine/radiator off the intercooler.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » February 3rd, 2021, 11:22 am

yeah i don’t think anything became of it
i saw the setup it was basically a plastic bucket with intake passing thru it.

it was quickly shelved as the nos era was soon in place

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 3rd, 2021, 3:27 pm

Use a water cooled intercooler. But the water reservoir should also contain the co2 ice.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 3rd, 2021, 3:37 pm

sMASH wrote:Use a water cooled intercooler. But the water reservoir should also contain the co2 ice.

that gonna go thru sublimation so fast it eh even funny, and all the cO2 will leave the reservoir.
If it's sealed, u hadda be sure the reservoir can handle the pressure build up otherwise all you go hear is pop & see one setta smoke looking thing all over the place

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 3rd, 2021, 6:11 pm

88sins wrote:
sMASH wrote:Use a water cooled intercooler. But the water reservoir should also contain the co2 ice.

that gonna go thru sublimation so fast it eh even funny, and all the cO2 will leave the reservoir.
If it's sealed, u hadda be sure the reservoir can handle the pressure build up otherwise all you go hear is pop & see one setta smoke looking thing all over the place
okay okay.... well normal ice. freeze it very cold. put an exchanger, such as a radiator or ac condenser at the bottom of the cooler. then put the ice on top of that. when u staging, u flip on ur watercooled inter cooler pump, and boom, cold breeze in yuh plenum

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 3rd, 2021, 7:23 pm

That could work, but daz real headache to engineer and fabricate, whereas space might be a issue as well.
He on the right track with cO2, but as I said, is to get a tank filled with sufficient volume and pressure to make it work, and to position the jets just right for optimal coverage and the shielding to keep it there as long as possible. Well, that, and you eh want NONE of that cO2 finding it's way to the intake, so shielding is kinda important.

Consistent 2 second bursts at 150 psi over the span of 20 minutes, will require a whole lot of cO2. Could maybe regulate it down to 80-100 psi @ the nozzle, but what he looking at will take at least one large tank, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was not enough to run the 20 minutes span.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 4th, 2021, 10:12 pm

dumore said they giving me a tank.

is just to take out the plug and load up a bag. They take 2000 psi easy.

this is for home use.

funny story, the scrap iaron men stopped by and there was a 3 fet piece of pipoe with an end cap. luck straike.

painless is for a few bursts maybe 2 minutes tops.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 4th, 2021, 10:33 pm

88sins wrote:
pugboy wrote:a long time rotary mechanic from st james wayne alexis aka "doc"

that wouldn't work. because even tho dry ice is cold, it's temps at ambient pressure are not low enough to get the required effect of cooling the liquid/gas passing at speed thru a pipe/intake/intercooler. Basically flow inside would be moving too fast for the dry ice to cool it.
however, cO2 gas is much colder than it's solid counterpart, so a fine spray of cO2 gas vented directly across an intercooler would work, provided you have enough gas at high enough pressure to run it for a while. Essentially, lower temps can be reached by venting the gas directly across the surface of the chamber containing the gas/liquid to be cooled, and it's cooling smaller chambers with smaller volumes so efficiency increases. Only problem I can see is making sure the cO2 hits and stays on the surface to be cooled as long as possible. Easy enough to do, shield the rear and sides and the base, leaving a vent on top rear and the front open with a front mounted fan and your cO2 nozzles between the shielding and cooler. Shielding would have an additional small benefit of keeping some of the heat from the engine/radiator off the intercooler.

this will fail for his application.

I using water that has a high specific heat capacity.

co2 itself is a refrigerant. you allow it to expand it consumes heat. With the Compressed gas as a propellant in a venturi system, you getting a broad spray with minimal water use and most likely the water very cold or nearly frozen. Is like it spitting frost. You want to facilitate the latent heat of evap to consume heat.

I saw pressures drop from 0ver 300 psi to 175 in my condenser spraying mist alone on in it my bt50. A lot of load off the engine and cabin cold like ice. Aluminium surge tank with 50psi nitrogen and 80 psi positive displacement water pump. Timer relay to control.

7 misting nzozles. i scrapped the design for thecycle tkme and volume.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 6th, 2021, 12:23 am

So, I realise I have one of those empty ace propane tanks. Rated for about 100psi.
It's about 2.5" to 3" in diameter.
If I bore out the pressure relief valve and cap it and the schrader device in the head I have a low pressure tank.

In the old days the pumped engine blocks with concrete to reinforce them. Sinking it neck up in concrete inside a 4" pipe with fiberglass fibers and concrete with a rammer can get me a few hundred not so? A few loose wraps of steel wire around it can do some reinforcement as well. Or wire mesh which I also have.

One of those ac pro flush kits with brass fittings make for a good venturi system. Is just to bore the nozzle for a progressive opening and the straw in the right place already.
Is just a solenoid I need now which I have. Can use compressed nitrogen for now.

You feel I can make a 500 psi? Or work a 250 for now?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 6th, 2021, 4:39 am

Iirc some AC refrigerant tanks go up to 300 psi

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 6th, 2021, 2:56 pm

max, the rfeilef cam blow out.

all says dont leave in direct sunloihjt, but this is trimidd

phreakazoid
Trinituner Peong

Postby phreakazoid » February 6th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Give IGL a call as they may already have what you are looking for in small refillable canisters/tanks. You might just need a pressure regulator and an automated valve to give you the 2 second bursts that you require.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 6th, 2021, 6:55 pm

Massy gas has too lonf of a turn ovre time. I have a tank and trius medical is my buddy.

I filling with nitro for a trial,

he says I need a nmedicak certifucate to buy n2o though. Sniff that and I out cokd hahahahaha

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 6th, 2021, 6:55 pm

And I have a programmbale pulse relay with fittings

phreakazoid
Trinituner Peong

Postby phreakazoid » February 9th, 2021, 6:18 pm

nervewrecker wrote:And I have a programmbale pulse relay with fittings

Nice... If you are going with the pipe and welded end caps, back weld the threaded connections, add a tested/certified pressure relief valve and do some NDE to ensure that the welds are good. Make sure all fittings are properly rated

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”