Forums

20 licensing officers suspended

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

20 licensing officers suspended

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 27th, 2020, 11:57 am

At least 20 officers at the Licensing Division are currently under suspension for unethical and fraudulent practices on the job. The disclosure came from Works and Transport Minister Rohan Sinanan days after Transport Commissioner Clive Clarke admitted to Guardian Media that corruption and bobol were rampant at Licensing Offices across the country.

However, Sinanan and the Clarke did not divulge further information as the matters are under investigation and some may even reach as far as the court.

Among the issues Clarke and a small team of licensing officers have been fighting against are duplicate registration of vehicles, buying of driver’s permits, and vehicles being fraudulently registered.

Asked about the fraudulent matters that have tarnished the reputation of Licensing Office for years, Sinanan, speaking in the presence of Clarke at his Port-of-Spain office on Tuesday, said the problem stemmed from the division’s archaic paper-based system.

In 2017, Sinanan said, the ministry began rooting out corruption when they started to computerise the system.

“There was a lot of pushback because some people did not want that to happen. And that exercise has shown a lot of the flaws in the system. We are getting to the point where we will be able to identify the people who are doing it. Over the last two years, we have had about over 20 people who have been under investigation for these unethical practices and we continue to be stern on that,” Sinanan said.
“There is no service at the Licensing Office where you have to pay an employee to help you.”

He said if there was a demand for unethical practices, supply will always be high.
“There will only be corrupt officers at the Licensing Office if there is a demand for them. The problem at the Licensing Office is that the system allowed for that because nobody wants to go to the office and spend two and three days to get a simple thing like a transfer done.”
Sinanan said if the owner of a truck loses three days’ work valued $6,000 to get a truck inspected, “you wouldn’t think it hard to pay somebody $1,000 to bring that certificate home for you cause you can save $5,000. Those were some of the things that were happening.”

In a bid to reduce delays and long lines, he said his ministry has begun to offer online services.
“So you should only have to go to the Licensiong Office if you have a problem.”
Next year, he said, mobile licensing units will drive into rural communities to offer services to members of the public.

“We are going to have that in the first or second quarter of 2021 where in all the rural areas these mobile units will drive in on specific dates so nobody would have to leave their area to come into Port-of-Spain, Arima, or Sangre Grande to get simple things done.”
Minister disappointed a PoS cashiers failed to show up for work, leaving longs lines of frustrated cutomers

Sinanan also expressed disappointment on Tuesday that two cashiers at the Port-of -Spain Licensing Office did not show up for work, causing long lines and frustrated customers.
“If the systems have to work, public servants must be part and parcel of success. This morning (Tuesday) was a clear case of where the public servants failed the ministry. This was another case of public servants dropping the ball.”

Clarke said licensing normally has two regular cashiers on duty but they applied for leave.
The two replacement cashiers, however, also failed to show up for work.

He said a cashier from the Caroni’s Licensing Office had to be shifted to Port-of-Spain to ease up the congestion.

“The challenge we had in my view is that the information (the absence of the cashiers) should have reached the authorities much earlier. And we have put things in place to address that. In other words, we are saying if by 8 am you discovered there was a deficiency that should have been triggered so we have someone there.”

Clarke said this incident was nothing more than a communication breakdown.

He said customers should have more than one option to pay for a service,

Next July, Clarke said, all Licensing Offices will be equipped with self-service kiosks. In the event a cashier stays home, a customer can still make a payment using their credit or debit cards.

Clarke added, “In the past, though, what we discovered with the systems at licensing is that a number of the ills that took place, there were no proper audit trails. You had evidence disappearing.”

He said measures have since been put in place to scan critical documents such as transfer and applications form.

“So because of these computerised transactions we can now trace the individuals. Because of the digitisation process, we can trace beyond the person who is punching the information into the computer because sometimes they are the least involved.

Sometimes it may be other entities and we could not trace and track signatures and the workflow,” Clarke said.

https://www.cnc3.co.tt/20-licensing-officers-suspended/

Mercenary
Riding on 18's

Re: 20 licensing officers suspended

Postby Mercenary » December 27th, 2020, 12:14 pm

They can’t prove anything

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 27th, 2020, 12:34 pm

bobol & dgaf attitude of workers cud never stop , imagine only 2 cashiers they have , dise a small grocery or a parlor ...

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » December 27th, 2020, 12:53 pm

one set of fluff again.....Cadiz, Warner.....Rohani....all the same..

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » December 27th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Im not waiting in line sorry.

The system is corrupt and run by incompetent and unconcerned locals.

Citizens are forced to pay under the table or face inconveniences and delays.

Licenses have to be issues and renewed, cars need to be transferred and vehicles inspected....WHAT is the keep back and why does it take so long?

Get with the times T&T.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 27th, 2020, 2:28 pm

self-service kiosks.?

Sounds like the bobol self-service immigration kiosks in Tobago Airport .

Awaits to hear millions down the drain again and some red government family bank account fat

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 27th, 2020, 2:32 pm

we forget about them kiosks long time

zoom rader wrote:self-service kiosks.?

Sounds like the bobol self-service immigration kiosks in Tobago Airport .

Awaits to hear millions down the drain again and some red government family bank account fat

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 27th, 2020, 2:52 pm

I remember when I started working in the Cayman Islands I needed to get my driver's license exchanged.

I was concerned their LO would be another Trinidad where you had to Jump through hoops, filled out forms, meet angry servants and wait for cashiers. I was thinking it would take a month or so to get sorted.

Well my surprise, I went in and within 30 mins I booked the regulation test. They have no cashiers as all the clerks take payments when you submit the form for any transaction. Everything is debit card transaction.

A week later I passed the regulation and again in 30mins I had my new Cayman license, again the clerks took payments and took the photo out on the counter.

When you go in you meet a kiosks and you enter your transaction, it gives you a ticket and you want till your number calls. Clerks check your form and you pay what ever fee and that's it.

Their immigration department operates the same way, kiosks, see clerk, submit papers, pay fees and service complete.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 27th, 2020, 3:56 pm

What?
Cashiers not reporting to duty? Nah man.
Officers involved in racket and bobol? They lie.
Inefficiencies and incompetence you say? Nah, not licensing, never gonna happen. They musbe make a mistake and mistyped and they really meant TTPost or IRD

All lies, I await the trade unions inputs to refute those allegations.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 27th, 2020, 4:50 pm

yeah and the “the system” always breaking down mid morning and start back to work after lunch

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 27th, 2020, 5:41 pm

88sins wrote:What?
Cashiers not reporting to duty? Nah man.
Officers involved in racket and bobol? They lie.
Inefficiencies and incompetence you say? Nah, not licensing, never gonna happen. They musbe make a mistake and mistyped and they really meant TTPost or IRD

All lies, I await the trade unions inputs to refute those allegations.
Wait till the suspended officers get compensation for wrongful accusations

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » December 28th, 2020, 9:26 am

i calling ole talk on this 1 , after a while - back to work with full pay and benefits ....

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 28th, 2020, 9:32 am

only way to tackle this corruption is to do like gg and create an alternative lic division ala sort
maybe that is what rohani plan with the new cashier systems

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » December 28th, 2020, 9:38 am

pugboy wrote:only way to tackle this corruption is to do like gg and create an alternative lic division ala sort
maybe that is what rohani plan with the new cashier systems

Ahh...the age old Banana Republic tactic of creating a Parallel Department within an Organization.

Fastest way to get bragging rights.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”