TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Once in 800 year 'Christmas star' December 21st 2020 - Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Once in 800 year 'Christmas star' December 21st 2020 - Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn

Postby redmanjp » December 21st, 2020, 1:01 pm

https://astronomy.com/news/sky-events/2020/12/jupiter-and-saturn-will-form-rare-christmas-star-on-winter-solstice

Jupiter and Saturn will form rare "Christmas Star" on winter solstice
On December 21, Jupiter and Saturn will appear closer in Earth’s night sky than they have since 1226 A.D. You can watch the event live here, courtesy of Lowell Observatory.
By Eric Betz | Published: Monday, December 7, 2020

On December 21, Jupiter and Saturn will get so close in the sky that they will almost appear to merge with one another. Such a close conjunction between the two has not occurred under a dark sky for some 800 years.

Astronomy: Roen Kelly
This December, Jupiter and Saturn will put on a show for skygazers that hasn't been seen in roughly 800 years. Astronomers are calling it the Great Conjunction of 2020. On December 21 — coincidentally the winter solstice — the two largest planets in our solar system will appear to almost merge in Earth’s night sky.

During the event, Jupiter and Saturn will sit just 0.1 degrees apart, or a mere one-fifth the width of the Moon. The sight will likely leave many casual observers wondering "What are those large, bright objects so close together in the sky?"

In fact, Jupiter and Saturn will be so close that you will be able to fit them both in the same telescopic field of view. That’s an incredibly rare occurrence. The last time Jupiter and Saturn were this close together away from the Sun was in 1226 A.D., at a time when Genghis Khan was conquering large swaths of Asia, and Europe was still generations away from the Renaissance.

Humanity won’t have to wait quite as long to see the solar system’s two largest planets repeat this month's performance, though. Another Great Conjunction will occur in 2080. Of course, many of us alive today won’t be around then, so it would be wise to soak in this show while you can.

How to find Jupiter and Saturn
For much of the year, Jupiter and Saturn have shared the same swath of sky. The pair begin the month of December just 2 degrees apart, creating an already impressive sight. Now, you can find them both in the southwestern sky just after sunset, located some 20 degrees above the horizon at 6 P.M. local time.
By mid-month, they’ll be just one Moon-width apart. On December 16, the Moon will sit just 5 degrees away from the pair, offering a handy comparison. They’ll reach greatest conjunction on December 21.

Conjunctions happen when two celestial objects appear to pass close to one another as seen from Earth. Of course, those objects aren’t necessarily physically close, they simply look that way because of their orbital alignment.
Conjunctions are extremely common, though. Throughout the year, the Moon regularly appears alongside a number of planets and bright stars. And two or more planets come together relatively frequently. However, having two bright planets like Jupiter and Saturn pair up is extremely rare.

The last conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn happened in May 2000. That close approach in our sky occurred relatively near the Sun, which made it hard to observe. A similar thing occurred in 1623 A.D., when Jupiter and Saturn brushed shoulders near the Sun.

IN T&T

https://trinidadexpress.com/newsextra/look-for-the-christmas-star-tonight/article_fd884382-439c-11eb-8bf7-1b8afb666dcd.html
Look for the Christmas Star tonight
Anna Ramdass Dec 21, 2020
Tonight is the night to look to the heavens as "the great conjunction" is set to take place just after sunset.

Two planets -Jupiter and Saturn will create a spectacle as it has been nearly 400 years since the planets passed this close to each other in the sky.

It has been nearly 800 years since the alignment of Saturn and Jupiter occurred at night, as it will for 2020, allowing nearly everyone around the world to witness this “great conjunction".

The phenomenal light in the sky is also being described as the "Star of Bethlehem" and "Christmas Star".

Astronomer Matthew Tung from CARINA (Caribbean Institute of Astronomy) told the Express that people in Trinidad and Tobago will be able to first see the planet Jupiter at sunset (5.49 p.m/6 p.m.).

He said the best view of both planets will start around 6.30 p.m.

He said the planet's will be low on the Western sky so make sure you view is unobstructed.

Tung said the planets set (go below the horizon) at 8 p.m.

"So make sure to make some time to see the view before then. While outside, also take the chance to observe the 50 per cent illuminated first quarter moon," he said.

Tung said the the closest approach of the two planets occurs tonight when the distance between the two planets will only be one fifth the diameter of the full Moon.

He said the view may be difficult with the naked eye for some.

Tung said a small pair of binoculars will allow you to see the moons of Jupiter, but you will need a telescope to see the rings of Saturn.

According to the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) in 1610, Italian astronomer Galileo Galilei pointed his telescope to the night sky, discovering the four moons of Jupiter – Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto.

In that same year, Galileo also discovered a strange oval surrounding Saturn, which later observations determined to be its rings.

These discoveries changed how people understood the far reaches of our solar system.

Thirteen years later, in 1623, the solar system’s two giant planets, Jupiter and Saturn, traveled together across the sky. Jupiter caught up to and passed Saturn, in an astronomical event known as a “Great Conjunction.”

“You can imagine the solar system to be a racetrack, with each of the planets as a runner in their own lane and the Earth toward the center of the stadium,” said Henry Throop, astronomer in the Planetary Science Division at NASA Headquarters in Washington.

“From our vantage point, we’ll be able to be to see Jupiter on the inside lane, approaching Saturn all month and finally overtaking it on December 21.”

NASA stated from our vantage point on Earth the huge gas giants will appear very close together, but they will remain hundreds of millions of miles apart in space.

And while the conjunction is happening on the same day as the winter solstice, the timing is merely a coincidence, based on the orbits of the planets and the tilt of the Earth.

“Conjunctions like this could happen on any day of the year, depending on where the planets are in their orbits,” said Throop.

“The date of the conjunction is determined by the positions of Jupiter, Saturn, and the Earth in their paths around the Sun, while the date of the solstice is determined by the tilt of Earth’s axis. The solstice is the longest night of the year, so this rare coincidence will give people a great chance to go outside and see the solar system.”
Last edited by redmanjp on December 22nd, 2020, 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Once in 800 year 'Christmas star' will be seen today

Postby timelapse » December 21st, 2020, 1:05 pm

Telescope ready to go.Hopefully no clouds like last night

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » December 21st, 2020, 6:14 pm

damn, whole sky overcast in POS. :( hope it clears soon

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » December 21st, 2020, 6:20 pm

No clear skies.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 21st, 2020, 6:33 pm

too much cloud
can't see anything from here

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 21st, 2020, 6:35 pm

i just went outside & only thing i cud make out is half a moon , way too cloudy or is it sahara dust ? ....

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 21st, 2020, 6:38 pm

timelapse wrote:Telescope ready to go.Hopefully no clouds like last night
what set up ru running?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: Once in 800 year 'Christmas star' will be seen today - Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 21st, 2020, 6:41 pm

LIVE STREAM

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » December 21st, 2020, 6:58 pm

Rovin wrote:i just went outside & only thing i cud make out is half a moon , way too cloudy or is it sahara dust ? ....

Supposed to be in the western sky , not straight above. I'm at the foreshore lookout but so far nothing

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Once in 800 year 'Christmas star' will be seen today - Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn

Postby matr1x » December 21st, 2020, 7:17 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:LIVE STREAM

Thank you for this

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » December 21st, 2020, 7:22 pm

Skies clear but maybe too much light pollution anyone getting a good view anywhere?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » December 21st, 2020, 7:47 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:131621182_10160750711639741_2461074185708261030_o.jpg

Local shot? Everywhere is so cloudy up north

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » December 21st, 2020, 8:31 pm

what direction that was taken in- the western sky?

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » December 21st, 2020, 8:39 pm

I got a glimpse for a few seconds, too much clouds and not enough clear time to catch it with the telescope.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 21st, 2020, 9:01 pm

Only clouds !!!

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » December 21st, 2020, 9:08 pm

so apparently we can still see it for a few more nights- just that they are not as close as tonight

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 21st, 2020, 10:01 pm

lowel observatory, having different astronomers talk in the background. interesting stuff, if u have nothing to do.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 22nd, 2020, 10:09 am

sMASH wrote:
what set up ru running?

Celestron travelscope, wife got me for bday earlier this year.Blasted clouds mess it up. Saw some of the Ursids at about 2 AM though.

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » December 22nd, 2020, 10:13 am

timelapse wrote:
sMASH wrote:
what set up ru running?

Celestron travelscope, wife got me for bday earlier this year.Blasted clouds mess it up. Saw some of the Ursids at about 2 AM though.

was brilliant for the last couple of weeks looking at it to the lead up yesterday.

Not sure why people only thought they would see it yesterday alone.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 22nd, 2020, 10:32 am

What size aperture?

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 22nd, 2020, 10:37 am

abbow wrote:
timelapse wrote:
sMASH wrote:
what set up ru running?

was brilliant for the last couple of weeks looking at it to the lead up yesterday.

Not sure why people only thought they would see it yesterday alone.

Was supposed to be the clearest night to see them according to the Starwalk © App. Thats what I using since I got the telescope.I watching Jupiter and Saturn most of this year.Was something fun to look forward to during lockdown.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 22nd, 2020, 1:10 pm

sMASH wrote:What size aperture?

Stop makin me read nah hoss...
Courtesy of Amazon:
About this item

Superior optics: The Celestron 70mm Travel Scope features high-quality, fully-coated glass optics, a potent 70mm objective lens, a lightweight frame, and a custom backpack to carry it all. Its quality is unmatched in its class and against competitors.
Powerful eyepieces for up-close viewing: Our telescope for astronomy beginners is equipped with two high-quality eyepieces (20mm and 10mm) that provide low- and high-power views of celestial objects at night and terrestrial objects during the day.
Large 70mm objective lens: Our refractor telescope is equipped with a large 70mm aperture objective lens that provides enhanced, brighter views compared to the 50mm model while adding very little additional weight. Setting up and using the Travel Scope is quick and easy.
Bonus bag, tripod, and software: This Celestron telescope and full-height tripod can be taken anywhere in the included travel backpack

I use the 20 mm eyepiece to see the Ursids

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » December 22nd, 2020, 3:39 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Image

Well look at that...now I don't have to go outside.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 22nd, 2020, 4:34 pm

timelapse wrote:
sMASH wrote:What size aperture?

Stop makin me read nah hoss...
Courtesy of Amazon:
About this item

Superior optics: The Celestron 70mm Travel Scope features high-quality, fully-coated glass optics, a potent 70mm objective lens, a lightweight frame, and a custom backpack to carry it all. Its quality is unmatched in its class and against competitors.
Powerful eyepieces for up-close viewing: Our telescope for astronomy beginners is equipped with two high-quality eyepieces (20mm and 10mm) that provide low- and high-power views of celestial objects at night and terrestrial objects during the day.
Large 70mm objective lens: Our refractor telescope is equipped with a large 70mm aperture objective lens that provides enhanced, brighter views compared to the 50mm model while adding very little additional weight. Setting up and using the Travel Scope is quick and easy.
Bonus bag, tripod, and software: This Celestron telescope and full-height tripod can be taken anywhere in the included travel backpack

I use the 20 mm eyepiece to see the Ursids

70mm , cool.

put ur fone and see if u can get some pics through the eyepiece. a small scope i had, endup 'machining' a mount to stablize a camera to it. worked okay enough.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Once in 800 year 'Christmas star' December 21st 2020 - Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn

Postby redmanjp » December 22nd, 2020, 6:37 pm

anyone watching tonight?

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: Once in 800 year 'Christmas star' December 21st 2020 - Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn

Postby sMASH » December 22nd, 2020, 6:48 pm

clear skies right now, seeing it clear as day.. i think. i think its south, south west direction?

what i am seeing is a bright star with another fairly dimmer one to the right of it.. if that is not it, then that is sumting totally new.

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » December 22nd, 2020, 8:07 pm

Gladiator wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

Well look at that...now I don't have to go outside.

Ayeee, same here lol :lol:

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » December 22nd, 2020, 8:41 pm

sMASH wrote:clear skies right now, seeing it clear as day.. i think. i think its south, south west direction?

what i am seeing is a bright star with another fairly dimmer one to the right of it.. if that is not it, then that is sumting totally new.

That’s it.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”