Forums

Rambharat says Doubles is made of imported ingredients

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Rambharat says Doubles is made of imported ingredients

Postby Dizzy28 » December 2nd, 2020, 1:01 am

EXCLUDING the optional condiments, Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries Clarence Rambharat says doubles is "100 per cent imported content (foods)." He questioned its popularity, referring to it as the "national dish."

He was speaking at the Point Fortin Borough Corporation's grow box distribution at the Fanny Village Recreational Ground on Monday morning.

While he said he has no issue with the sale and purchase of doubles, he urged the public to support local farmers by purchasing foods with locally-produced ingredients.

"Our big imports are, of course, things that we need. Rice, flour, sugar...those things are things that we need. But do we need so much? Do we need doubles to be the national dish of this country? And not just national dish at a certain time. National breakfast, national lunch and national dinner.

"I don't have any problem with a bara ever so often. But to see people dressed for work in all their fineries, 5 am and 6 am standing up by a doubles man and then coming back lunchtime by a next doubles man."

He said while he was hopeful the covid19 pandemic caused people to opt for more healthy options, he was disappointed by the viral challenge encouraging people to make doubles at home and post pictures to social media.

"Doubles is 100 per cent local content. There is no local content.

"When you get your doubles in your hand, you might add some cucumber, local pepper, tamarind and those things. But doubles is almost totally imported content. Why should we be aiming for that? And why have we made that the national snack and the national food?"

He said the covid19 pandemic showed him "how twisted we could be as individuals."

He reminded the public of its responsibility in ensuring food security.

"What you put in your fridge, what you put in your cupboard determines the success of your farmers right here."

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/12/01/rambha ... d-content/

Wait till he finds out where all the contents of our local manufacturing stalwarts products comes from. Not even the peppers used in the pepper sauces are local by those bigger companies.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: PNM in Gov't

Postby De Dragon » December 2nd, 2020, 1:10 am

Dizzy28 wrote:EXCLUDING the optional condiments, Minister of Agriculture, Land and Fisheries Clarence Rambharat says doubles is "100 per cent imported content (foods)." He questioned its popularity, referring to it as the "national dish."

He was speaking at the Point Fortin Borough Corporation's grow box distribution at the Fanny Village Recreational Ground on Monday morning.

While he said he has no issue with the sale and purchase of doubles, he urged the public to support local farmers by purchasing foods with locally-produced ingredients.

"Our big imports are, of course, things that we need. Rice, flour, sugar...those things are things that we need. But do we need so much? Do we need doubles to be the national dish of this country? And not just national dish at a certain time. National breakfast, national lunch and national dinner.

"I don't have any problem with a bara ever so often. But to see people dressed for work in all their fineries, 5 am and 6 am standing up by a doubles man and then coming back lunchtime by a next doubles man."

He said while he was hopeful the covid19 pandemic caused people to opt for more healthy options, he was disappointed by the viral challenge encouraging people to make doubles at home and post pictures to social media.

"Doubles is 100 per cent local content. There is no local content.

"When you get your doubles in your hand, you might add some cucumber, local pepper, tamarind and those things. But doubles is almost totally imported content. Why should we be aiming for that? And why have we made that the national snack and the national food?"

He said the covid19 pandemic showed him "how twisted we could be as individuals."

He reminded the public of its responsibility in ensuring food security.

"What you put in your fridge, what you put in your cupboard determines the success of your farmers right here."

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/12/01/rambha ... d-content/

Wait till he finds out where all the contents of our local manufacturing stalwarts products comes from. Not even the peppers used in the pepper sauces are local by those bigger companies.

This election/Canada reject knows better than to jump out and even mention the 1% and their absolute lack of local content.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: PNM in Gov't

Postby Dizzy28 » December 2nd, 2020, 1:16 am

Clarence have to be the biggest woft in Cabinet. The rest of them enter as conmen and thieves but he was supposedly a fresh face, the lawyer/lecturer with a weekly column always talking about corruption etc.

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Re: Rambharat says Doubles is made of imported ingredients

Postby Cantmis » December 2nd, 2020, 11:35 am

Carnival supplies local ?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 2nd, 2020, 11:57 am

Some doublesman rest level horn on the mites or something.
Before this they were mentioned in terms of taxes and then for the lockdown they were not equitably treated as other food joints.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » December 2nd, 2020, 11:58 am

clarence jes make ah big ass of he self & fb ppl letting him know what time it is ...

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » December 2nd, 2020, 12:05 pm

But he is right..........all the basic ingredients to make doubles are imported.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » December 2nd, 2020, 12:10 pm

In other news, almost all our 'local' foods use imported ingredients

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » December 2nd, 2020, 12:16 pm

SR wrote:But he is right..........all the basic ingredients to make doubles are imported.

As do most other things and everything containing sugar in any form

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » December 2nd, 2020, 12:17 pm

He's correct. Stop playing smart with foolishness.

It just shows just how much imports we require even to make the most basic of our foods.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » December 2nd, 2020, 12:22 pm

Trinidad doesn't have the climate or space required to produce wheat. Flour will always be imported.

I'm not even sure if we grow any legumes in Trinidad, or we just import all. I know India produces a large amount of the world's channa/chickpeas, so for us to compete with an economy of that scale is near impossible.

supremacy_007
Sweet on this forum

Postby supremacy_007 » December 2nd, 2020, 12:33 pm

dumbest agrument of month award show go to him.... what a k*k*hole comment to make, with this thinking, what about d bake in maracas, d rice in pelau, the cow heal in soup and the dumplins, by this measure, nothing is really local......

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » December 2nd, 2020, 12:35 pm

teems1 wrote:Trinidad doesn't have the climate or space required to produce wheat. Flour will always be imported.

I'm not even sure if we grow any legumes in Trinidad, or we just import all. I know India produces a large amount of the world's channa/chickpeas, so for us to compete with an economy of that scale is near impossible.

Wouldn't it be possible to have a wheat substitute for the bara flour? Can the chickpeas be grown here to meet local demand?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 2nd, 2020, 12:35 pm

What kinda kant is Clarence

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 2nd, 2020, 12:54 pm

SR wrote:But he is right..........all the basic ingredients to make doubles are imported.

The basic ingredients for almost all our food are imported.
Grains and Pulses - We eat more rice than we produce, we produce no wheat
Meat - where we produce meat locally its commercially impossible without imported feed, hatchlings, medicines etc.
Sugar - the basis of the entire food and beverage industry requires refined sugar - all imported
Root crops - Didn't shitlickers this year say he want to import yams so I assume we are not even self sufficient in that

Clarence as Min of Agriculture should know the value chain in local Agriculture more than to have made his asisine statements. He clearly was trying to be a troll.

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 2nd, 2020, 1:18 pm

He brains clearly imported too.His predecessors, instead of focusing on food production figured that oil and gas would never run out, so they never bothered to create sustainable farming.Citizens to blame as well.We generally prefer foreign over local.Add the word "imported" to any local produce and watch your sales go up.I have personally tried this as an experiment and it works every time.Also we generally prefer to plant concrete instead of food.I've been saying this for years.I grow a lot of the stuff that I like to eat.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 2nd, 2020, 1:20 pm

like he & most of allyuh now getting the idea of what I was telling allyuh, practically all our food with the exception of chicken is imported, and even that is very heavily dependent on multiple imported products by way of feed and meds. What idiotboy should be doing is looking into encouraging farming so that production of local produce can be boosted, & said produce can then be developed & used to reduce how much we import. but nah, he find that sounding like wuk & he eh interested in wuk, he rather just yap.

I notice that he conveniently avoided the economics of WHY doubles is so popular.
Flour while made with imported raw materials, is relatively cheap, as well as channa. When you on the road with not much funds and hunger kick in, it is very hard to deny that $10 gets you 2 doubles and that will hold you out a long time. I dare him & anyone else, try getting a meal of similar proportions anywhere else selling anything else, for the same price, with the same speed, with as much flavor and as satisfying as a doubles. I go wait till whoever find it.
Now I not promoting eating doubles often as the best thing to do it eh, because it really is not a healthy thing to eat on a regular basis. but it exists and is popular for a reason,and after how many decades of popularity now, ppl not gonna stop making selling or eating it until the reason why it exists is fixed and they have a better alternative

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » December 2nd, 2020, 1:50 pm

88sins wrote:like he & most of allyuh now getting the idea of what I was telling allyuh, practically all our food with the exception of chicken is imported, and even that is very heavily dependent on multiple imported products by way of feed and meds. What idiotboy should be doing is looking into encouraging farming so that production of local produce can be boosted, & said produce can then be developed & used to reduce how much we import. but nah, he find that sounding like wuk & he eh interested in wuk, he rather just yap.

I notice that he conveniently avoided the economics of WHY doubles is so popular.
Flour while made with imported raw materials, is relatively cheap, as well as channa. When you on the road with not much funds and hunger kick in, it is very hard to deny that $10 gets you 2 doubles and that will hold you out a long time. I dare him & anyone else, try getting a meal of similar proportions anywhere else selling anything else, for the same price, with the same speed, with as much flavor and as satisfying as a doubles. I go wait till whoever find it.
Now I not promoting eating doubles often as the best thing to do it eh, because it really is not a healthy thing to eat on a regular basis. but it exists and is popular for a reason,and after how many decades of popularity now, ppl not gonna stop making selling or eating it until the reason why it exists is fixed and they have a better alternative

His supporters prefer to eat salt

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » December 2nd, 2020, 1:51 pm

the easier question would be : which of our meals are all local?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 2nd, 2020, 1:53 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:the easier question would be : which of our meals are all local?

Boiled Carite with boiled cassava.

Can't use oil because all our cooking oils are imported.
Or I guess you could use coconut oil!!

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 2nd, 2020, 1:58 pm

i hear most of the “fresh” local juices using concentrate from mexico and other places

likewise the locally “manufactured” ketchup using puree from china

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 2nd, 2020, 1:59 pm

plain callaloo without pigtail

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:the easier question would be : which of our meals are all local?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » December 2nd, 2020, 2:03 pm

pugboy wrote:i hear most of the “fresh” local juices using concentrate from mexico and other places

Back in 2014 I was in a meeting with Namdevco where they said something like 70% of pepper mash used in the country is imported from Colombia and Costa Rica. Pepper Mash is what is used by the big companies like Chief, Matouks and Chatak to make their pepper sauces. Trini peppers are added to provide flavour but the basis is the mash.
So something ubiquitous as Trini pepper sauce isn't actually Trini at all

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » December 2nd, 2020, 2:19 pm

pugboy wrote:plain callaloo without pigtail

Why not pigtail?

Don't they have pig farms in Erin?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 2nd, 2020, 2:21 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:
pugboy wrote:i hear most of the “fresh” local juices using concentrate from mexico and other places

Back in 2014 I was in a meeting with Namdevco where they said something like 70% of pepper mash used in the country is imported from Colombia and Costa Rica. Pepper Mash is what is used by the big companies like Chief, Matouks and Chatak to make their pepper sauces. Trini peppers are added to provide flavour but the basis is the mash.

not unless yuh do like me & grow your own and make yuh pepper sauce at home.
& even that has one imported item in it (but only cuz I eh figure out yet if it make sense to grow grow garlic ) :lol:

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » December 2nd, 2020, 2:46 pm

Well no different, theres one of trinis mainstream bakery's that was once known for their fantastic pastry pies, now, imports ready mix pastry and they just bake it with the infill and thats what you all call pie!

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » December 2nd, 2020, 4:00 pm

lehme rephrase: what combined dishes that turns into a meal are all local? :lol:

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 2nd, 2020, 4:16 pm

afaik salted cured pigtail is only imported from canada

teems1 wrote:

Why not pigtail?

Don't they have pig farms in Erin?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » December 2nd, 2020, 4:19 pm

garlic, tomato purée and onions are mainly supplied by china.
esp garlic
and china exports a lot of peeled garlic with prison labour, lot of them peeled with teeth as the prisoners fingers sore from overwork.

88sins wrote:
Dizzy28 wrote:

not unless yuh do like me & grow your own and make yuh pepper sauce at home.
& even that has one imported item in it (but only cuz I eh figure out yet if it make sense to grow grow garlic ) :lol:

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » December 2nd, 2020, 5:55 pm

pugboy wrote:garlic, tomato purée and onions are mainly supplied by china.
esp garlic
and china exports a lot of peeled garlic with prison labour, lot of them peeled with teeth as the prisoners fingers sore from overwork.

snd daz y I doh buy peeled garlic :lol:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”