TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Should T&T schools be opened in January 2021?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Yes
15%
No
85%

Total votes: 13

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 13th, 2020, 6:51 pm

As the Gov't continues to ease up on lockdown restrictions due to Covid19, schools remain closed at least until January 2021.
The Ministry of Education has released a draft document outlining recommendations and guidelines for schools reopening in January, however I'm sure there will be some push-back from concerned parents and teachers on doing that.

Across Europe, schools and child care centers are staying open even as much of the continent reports rising coronavirus cases, and even as many businesses and gathering places are shut or restricted. Countries such as France, the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy appear to be following the emerging evidence that schools have not been major centers of transmission of the virus, especially for young children. And experts say these nations are also demonstrating a commitment to avoiding the worst impacts of the pandemic on children.

The U.S. has taken a different approach. As new cases climb above 100,000 per day, there are very few places in the U.S. where classrooms have remained full even as restaurants and bars are empty. In cities such as Boston and Washington, D.C., schools are remote, but indoor dining is allowed. This week, Detroit announced it was closing its schools through January, while indoor dining and bars there remain open at 50% capacity. Meanwhile, in states like Florida and Texas, schools — along with most businesses — have stayed open, even with very high and rising case rates.

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/13/93415367 ... s-are-open

I don't know, but I don't think we have the discipline of those countries. It's still a tough job to get people to wear their masks properly. Chin diapers abound.

So should T&T schools be opened in January 2021?

skylinechild
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Should T&T schools be opened in January 2021?

Postby skylinechild » November 13th, 2020, 7:00 pm

why not make it a poll duane ??

alot of tuners are parents and they have a right to be concerned about their childs health and safety....

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » November 13th, 2020, 7:02 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:As the Gov't continues to ease up on lockdown restrictions due to Covid19, schools remain closed at least until January 2021.
The Ministry of Education has released a draft document outlining recommendations and guidelines for schools reopening in January, however I'm sure there will be some push-back from concerned parents and teachers on doing that.

Across Europe, schools and child care centers are staying open even as much of the continent reports rising coronavirus cases, and even as many businesses and gathering places are shut or restricted. Countries such as France, the United Kingdom, Germany and Italy appear to be following the emerging evidence that schools have not been major centers of transmission of the virus, especially for young children. And experts say these nations are also demonstrating a commitment to avoiding the worst impacts of the pandemic on children.

The U.S. has taken a different approach. As new cases climb above 100,000 per day, there are very few places in the U.S. where classrooms have remained full even as restaurants and bars are empty. In cities such as Boston and Washington, D.C., schools are remote, but indoor dining is allowed. This week, Detroit announced it was closing its schools through January, while indoor dining and bars there remain open at 50% capacity. Meanwhile, in states like Florida and Texas, schools — along with most businesses — have stayed open, even with very high and rising case rates.

I don't know, but I don't think we have the discipline of those countries. It's still a tough job to get people to wear their masks properly. Chin diapers abound.

If we can get a vaccine by March keep them close till then, only because after Christmas I do expect a huge surge in cases.

If a vaccine is expected later, like May onwards. Then I'd suggest opening them but only to forms 4, 5 and 6 and for primary schools standard 4 and 5.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 13th, 2020, 7:04 pm

Better they stay home. The traffic moving nice whole year now, why screw with it?

But seriously, nah.
Kids below 10 generally are not responsible enough to chance that just yet. Secondary school students maybe, but better to keep primary schools as online classes only for now

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » November 13th, 2020, 7:19 pm

Here's an new, informative graph showing the effects of different measures in curbing the spread of COVID19. The blue points show the R number (ability to spread) under the restrictions. The red line shows the virus' R number when the restrictions are lifted. The different between those dots is how effective that measure is in reducing COVID19 spread. (You may have to click for full-resolution image)

ElRD_74UYAIHQSM.jpg

For each NPI, the reference period is the day before introduction or relaxation of that NPI. An R ratio of more than 1 indicates increased transmission, and an R ratio of less than 1 indicates decreased transmission. The error bars present the 95% CIs of the R ratios derived from the model. NPI=non-pharmaceutical intervention. R=time-varying reproduction number.

The graph is from the Lancet, a well respected medical journal.

What you can take from that is certain restrictions are more impactful than others. School closures being particularly well at controlling the spread.

That, and we have a large festival coming up on December 25 which is likely to have ripple effects well into January.
Last edited by paid_influencer on November 13th, 2020, 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » November 13th, 2020, 7:21 pm

Devourment wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:As the Gov't continues to ease up on lockdown restrictions due to Covid19, schools remain closed at least until January 2021.

If we can get a vaccine by March keep them close till then, only because after Christmas I do expect a huge surge in cases.

If a vaccine is expected later, like May onwards. Then I'd suggest opening them but only to forms 4, 5 and 6 and for primary schools standard 4 and 5.

How much people taking that vaccine? If you go through various news outlets you will see that alot of online individuals are skeptical about this vaccine. As proof of the low reception of the vaccine countries like Canada and New Zealand have taken the drastic approach of making immunization mandatory else you basically can't do anything. The UK was going to take that approach but when their parliament 'tested the waters' the disdain was massive. Not everyone is keen on a rushed vaccine with God knows what long term repercussions. If I had children I wouldn't give them it

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » November 13th, 2020, 7:27 pm

no. leave it closed till februrary, so that u can observe what spread u got for christmas, ole years, and christmas and ole years activities. only if it is minor then reopen. if its not minor, leff it as it is. cause as that start to trail off u will get ur carnival vibes. carnival or not people gonna carnival on the down low. and that will sky rocket the scene.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 13th, 2020, 7:46 pm

skylinechild wrote:why not make it a poll duane ??

alot of tuners are parents and they have a right to be concerned about their childs health and safety....

Will do
thanks!

Devourment
Trinituner Peong

Postby Devourment » November 13th, 2020, 7:55 pm

elec2020 wrote:
Devourment wrote:

How much people taking that vaccine? If you go through various news outlets you will see that alot of online individuals are skeptical about this vaccine. As proof of the low reception of the vaccine countries like Canada and New Zealand have taken the drastic approach of making immunization mandatory else you basically can't do anything. The UK was going to take that approach but when their parliament 'tested the waters' the disdain was massive. Not everyone is keen on a rushed vaccine with God knows what long term repercussions. If I had children I wouldn't give them it

Good thing you not spreading your genes then.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » November 13th, 2020, 8:49 pm

^ I gave you several articles and research papers that showed the side effects of vaccines. And those vaccines were done over the span of years. One done in under 1 year going to have no side effects??? Ok sheep

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » November 13th, 2020, 9:09 pm

sMASH wrote:no. leave it closed till februrary, so that u can observe what spread u got for christmas, ole years, and christmas and ole years activities. only if it is minor then reopen. if its not minor, leff it as it is. cause as that start to trail off u will get ur carnival vibes. carnival or not people gonna carnival on the down low. and that will sky rocket the scene.

exactly, i too rather a safe than sorry approach

unless a proven vaccine comes out: d future for public schooling not looking so promising ... :|

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » November 13th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Like another tuner suggested, I would also agree with watching the case counts after holidays, then depending maybe open secondary schools and standard 3-5, but younger ones should remain at home, they still have trouble keeping their hands out of their mouths and off their faces. Plus they don’t fully understand the concept of social distancing.
Older teachers who are vulnerable should also have the option to stay at home due to their risks.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”