Forums

Ads messing up browsers

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Digicel Ads messing up browsers

Postby Rovin » October 25th, 2020, 1:47 pm

can anybody educate me on how does a advertiser get paid from me if i see their ad or even click on it but i did not make any purchase from them ? , are they hoping by chance i freely publicize their ads to somebody who may make a purchase ? fat chance from me

one has to be strong minded not be easily coerced into buying anything if u dont need it no matter how many times ads are shoved into ur face

is there anybody who do more plentiful ads than kfc ? , all over d net , traditional media & on billboards by d road .... yet on a rare occasion i will buy

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » October 25th, 2020, 2:35 pm

pugboy wrote:yeah it could be forced advertising under the guise of script malfunction
somebody need to take this up with telecom authority

lol wut?

Once digicel pay their fees dem doh business.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 25th, 2020, 2:42 pm

digicel denying persons access to websites
that can’t be legal

The_Honourable wrote:
pugboy wrote:yeah it could be forced advertising under the guise of script malfunction
somebody need to take this up with telecom authority

lol wut?

Once digicel pay their fees dem doh business.

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » October 25th, 2020, 2:58 pm

pugboy wrote:ipad screenshot
not getting the digicel ad presently on iphone
3C573506-07DE-47E6-92B6-46AA942CEFBF.jpeg

Same with my iPad Air 2. Up to a short while ago.

Refreshing the browser seems to clear it. Then when I close and open back the website it happens - intermittently though.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 25th, 2020, 3:05 pm

The ads are working fine on my desktop, with a 27" monitor. Digicel has a huge banner at the top and sides of the window. The viewing experience hasn't changed though because it's a big screen.
The issue with ads is that they have to be programmed and tested on all the devices that people are using to fit the format of various screen sizes. I doubt it's intentional, just bad programming.

The ads should have been pulled immediately by Trinituner until Digicel assures that the issue is tested and fixed properly. Right now they're just causing too much frustration.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » October 25th, 2020, 3:19 pm

Rovin wrote:can anybody educate me on how does a advertiser get paid from me if i see their ad or even click on it but i did not make any purchase from them ? , are they hoping by chance i freely publicize their ads to somebody who may make a purchase ? fat chance from me

one has to be strong minded not be easily coerced into buying anything if u dont need it no matter how many times ads are shoved into ur face

is there anybody who do more plentiful ads than kfc ? , all over d net , traditional media & on billboards by d road .... yet on a rare occasion i will buy

the user clicking doesn't pay, the website owner does, depending on if it is pay-per-click or other method

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » October 25th, 2020, 4:03 pm

It moving to the top randomly

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 25th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Rovin wrote:can anybody educate me on how does a advertiser get paid from me if i see their ad or even click on it but i did not make any purchase from them ? , are they hoping by chance i freely publicize their ads to somebody who may make a purchase ? fat chance from me

The carrier gets paid, i.e. the website for carrying the ad. Paid by the advertiser. Like how the Express or TV6 gets paid by XYZ to run their ads. It's usually the "Cost per Mille" model, where for every thousand impressions of the ad with website users, the website owners get paid, something like $2.00 USD. An impression is any engagement the ad has with a viewer, whether a view or a click, and these metrics are usually measured by an Ad Bot program, like Google Adsense. The advertiser uses the Google platform to place ad content on website which are targeted to the individual's browsing history and preferences using cookies. Like sometimes you're searching for a tool on amazon and suddenly you will get some ads in your window on a local seller of tools... if that local seller decided to advertise.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The bigger question you're asking: how advertising works? By numbers and by psychology. They're not targeting you if you don't care about the product, they're targeting the thousands of others. Wider reachable audience, more probability that a percentage will purchase their goods. You are the product for ads. The consumer goods are the product for you, influenced by ads. $$$Profit for the company. For you it may not be KFC, but ads are constantly in our lives which subtly and unconsciously encourage us on all the decisions we make.

If you really want to know more i suggest you watch "The Century of Self" and the work by Edward Bernays and how all of us are under the influence of modern society, whether we like it or not, whether we choose to acknowledge it or deny it. Through this influence we have now become a comfortable consumerist society which had the goal of docility to avoid the types of conflict of extreme violence and destruction that happened in WWII. WWI was just 20 years before and was the most destructive war to that date. If trends like that had continued, humanity will destroy itself. You will notice that there hasn't been such a war since, only minor conflicts and global tensions in isolated countries that do not have access to a consumerist society of control and docility.

This is one of the reasons why you don't see any protesting in our country by the middle class against injustices by the government... because none of us are now willing to do what it takes to upset our comfortable lives where we get mostly everything we want for an almost luxurious life. We might grind and grovel on forums, but no one is going to lose their homes and family and treasured possessions to be put in jail, etc. for protesting. The question is always "why aren't they protesting? We like it so!" without consciously realizing that YOU are part of the THEY. The people who say that don't ask why they themselves are not protesting, it's always looking at other people to represent the interest of society, while believing the conscious self to be the most valuable entity that has too much to lose if engaged in such protest. Unless it's really dire and drastic where home and limb is threatened. Linking it again, this is why when you do see protests and burning tires, who are those people? Poverty and lower education that the government can ignore at will. If you really want to know more, take the red pill Morpheus offered and fall down the rabbit hole, here's the video:

Some of the YouTube comments are quite enlightening as well.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 25th, 2020, 6:41 pm

^^^^hmmm kool thanks , will check that video out ...

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 26th, 2020, 8:47 am

Anyone still experiencing the ad cutting off part of your screen?
Can you send a screenshot if it is still doing that and let me know what device?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 26th, 2020, 8:56 am

the cutting off stopped
but the tops rolling still happening randomly

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Anyone still experiencing the ad cutting off part of your screen?
Can you send a screenshot if it is still doing that and let me know what device?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 26th, 2020, 9:01 am

pugboy wrote:the cutting off stopped

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Anyone still experiencing the ad cutting off part of your screen?

Tops rolling? can you explain?

squirrel
Street 2NR

Re: Digicel Ads messing up browsers - FIXED

Postby squirrel » October 26th, 2020, 10:21 am

While scrolling down on the web page, it randomly jumps to the top of the web page in an instant.

Edit: This only happens if you start scrolling down before the web page has completely loaded. It seems that there is some javascript code to jump to the top "div"/ "section" / whatever, that is executed after the page has fully loaded.
Last edited by squirrel on October 26th, 2020, 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » October 26th, 2020, 10:26 am

Still randomly auto scrolling to the top here as well on Android tablet with chrome.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » October 26th, 2020, 10:49 am

Nope. Not fixed on my laptop.

Still scrolling down both sides (left and right).

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 26th, 2020, 11:07 am

bluefete wrote:Nope. Not fixed on my laptop.

Still scrolling down both sides (left and right).

yes it's supposed to do that
it's not supposed to block any of the content on the page

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 26th, 2020, 11:08 am

squirrel wrote:While scrolling down on the web page, it randomly jumps to the top of the web page in an instant.

Edit: This only happens if you start scrolling down before the web page has completely loaded. It seems that there is some javascript code to jump to the top "div"/ "section" / whatever, that is executed after the page has fully loaded.

ok thanks will look into that
is this on mobile only or on desktop also?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 26th, 2020, 11:29 am

meant auto scroll to page top

hope you sending the agency a bill for all this work their folks should have done properly

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
pugboy wrote:the cutting off stopped

Tops rolling? can you explain?

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » October 26th, 2020, 12:52 pm

issue seems to be fixed ...

Gem_in_i
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Gem_in_i » October 26th, 2020, 1:12 pm

Still up scrolling randomly

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 26th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Gem_in_i wrote:Still up scrolling randomly

They are still working on that

Polydor
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Polydor » October 26th, 2020, 1:53 pm

As I've indicated many years ago when Trinituner page changed and the sides were all white, it's really painful on the eyes.

My $0.02

Thanks.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 26th, 2020, 2:43 pm

You can force Dark Mode in Chrome on desktop.
chrome://flags/#enable-force-dark
Chose simple RGB option.
Also use a program like f.lux to automatically dim and filter the screen in the night.

brickman
18 pounds of Boost

Postby brickman » October 26th, 2020, 2:58 pm

I use unlock origin and dark reader extensions on pc & blokada on android & have no issues.

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » October 26th, 2020, 5:21 pm

still not fixed

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 26th, 2020, 5:28 pm

websites like they fraid to pull the ads and show who is the boss

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » October 26th, 2020, 5:32 pm

And putting *FIXED* in the thread title.

It ain't fixed for sheit.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 26th, 2020, 5:37 pm

Works fine on the same device it was not working with yesterday.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 27th, 2020, 6:26 am

Works well now

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » October 27th, 2020, 6:35 am

Fixed on my laptop - Thank you.

Duane: Maybe your advertisers could be a little bit more creative in their ad placements on the site.

That experiment failed because it shrunk the available space on the right, left and top sides of our screens. I think the constant scrolling also got people upset.

But I am not a techie.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”