Forums

VTM Pizza Scam

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

grandprixtt
Ricer

VTM Pizza Scam

Postby grandprixtt » September 30th, 2020, 9:53 am

So idk if it has become viral enough to make news (or if the news media will even touch this) but there has either been:

a. A massive data leak/ hack of VTM accounts.
b. A massive phishing scam (but they already have VTM no.s as seen in the screenshots so I don't see the point).
c. A major fraud happening at a popular blue bank to retrieve Forex from paying customers.

Light blue bank has been refusing to alert callers that this is happening to many ppl, instead trying to 'investigate' where the person made some mistake.

Check out the public fb post and Make up your own minds. This has been happening a long time but not this many in one go and at one location.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... =581960003

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Re: VTM Pizza Scam

Postby FrankChag » September 30th, 2020, 10:00 am

Bold investigative journalism is soo badly needed on this island..
Maybe what comes close is Akash's picong

grandprixtt
Ricer

Postby grandprixtt » September 30th, 2020, 10:19 am

Also, mysterious emails saying "you're connected" to republic bank wifi has been popping up yesterday. I have received it myself.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 30th, 2020, 10:27 am

lol, nothing will come of this. Nothing. "It was a glitch, computer error, etc."
Bank investigates themselves.
Public: rahrahrahrahrah no real investigation, no lawsuit, laws protect banks.
Bank: yeah ok. Thanks, bye. Pay your monthly fee for us to hold your money please.

Shareholder's Profit must be posted at every quarter.

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » September 30th, 2020, 10:31 am

You people just don't get it.

The billions of dollars stolen by politicians aren't shipped out of the country in brown bags. These transactions are facilitated through banks and these banks in return get to do whatever they want with people's money under the guise of law.

You scratch my back I scratch yours.
Either way the people are fcuked...... and they like it so!

grandprixtt
Ricer

Postby grandprixtt » September 30th, 2020, 11:16 am

maj. tom wrote:lol, nothing will come of this. Nothing. "It was a glitch, computer error, etc."
Bank investigates themselves.
Public: rahrahrahrahrah no real investigation, no lawsuit, laws protect banks.
Bank: yeah ok. Thanks, bye. Pay your monthly fee for us to hold your money please.

Shareholder's Profit must be posted at every quarter.

Yea I agree, but even if it makes light blue stop and figure out a new tactic to rob us, its worth sharing.

Light blue cannot continue pulling this Nigerian prince rubbish. At the very least, it should be straight cuss they corrupted CSRs getting on the phone, not naive people to mamaguy.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » September 30th, 2020, 4:46 pm

You guys really expect a bank to be investigated? Legit governments have a hard time holding banks accountable, I guarantee this will not be investigated.

Not like it really matters, we only know about sada roti investigations anyway

..... gone cold overnight and thrown out without a second thought shortly after....

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » September 30th, 2020, 7:03 pm

all the OP issues stem from two root causes:

1- the buying rate for USD is ridiculously below market value, and
2- there isn't enough USD to keep the VTM card service going.

OP could beat up all he want, it not going to fix the above issues.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » September 30th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Oh God is that how you all treat day old sada roti....

No wonder this place is the way it is.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 30th, 2020, 7:44 pm

But didn't Republic Bank say they are doing away with VTM?

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 30th, 2020, 8:06 pm

bluefete wrote:But didn't Republic Bank say they are doing away with VTM?

they said they not renewing the vtm cards after they expire- but disabling cards jus so and not giving a replacement at least with the same expiry is a bit too much- my card have another year till next October so i won't be happy if they take it upon themselves to just cancel it so and on top of that keep my US money instead of putting it into another account or towards a new cc.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » September 30th, 2020, 8:18 pm

wouldn't surprise me if they just outright cancelled all those VTM cards, or put strict limit on spending/withdrawls. The VTM cards were never meant to replace a US$ account.

Regular local credit cards next on the chopping block.

mero

Postby mero » September 30th, 2020, 8:40 pm

grandprixtt wrote:So idk if it has become viral enough to make news (or if the news media will even touch this) but there has either been:

b. A massive phishing scam (but they already have VTM no.s as seen in the screenshots so I don't see the point).
c. A major fraud happening at a popular blue bank to retrieve Forex from paying customers.

Light blue bank has been refusing to alert callers that this is happening to many ppl, instead trying to 'investigate' where the person made some mistake.

Check out the public fb post and Make up your own minds. This has been happening a long time but not this many in one go and at one location.

This lady in that fb post is an idiot. The Bank can't magically make up fraud transactions abroad to buy pizza.

It's a common thing and credit cards are under attack all the time by fraudsters and cyber criminal, sometimes they hit one, a few or hundreds under computerized bin attacks like with this Canadian pizza transaction . If the transaction wasn't successful there's no need to investigate and chargeback get invloved

All banks are also cancelling their present paid cards services and no longer renewing pre paid cards or new applications.. it's not profitable enough. Pre paid cards don't generate interest like credit cards.

And go on any banks website and look at the cash, buying and selling.

Only thing off here is the bank not offering her a replacement card when it was compromised but that also depends on the expiry date..sure cards expiring in 2020 not gonna be worth the money to print the plastic

abducted
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abducted » September 30th, 2020, 11:17 pm

mero wrote:
grandprixtt wrote:So idk if it has become viral enough to make news (or if the news media will even touch this) but there has either been:

This lady in that fb post is an idiot. The Bank can't magically make up fraud transactions abroad to buy pizza.

It's a common thing and credit cards are under attack all the time by fraudsters and cyber criminal, sometimes they hit one, a few or hundreds under computerized bin attacks like with this Canadian pizza transaction . If the transaction wasn't successful there's no need to investigate and chargeback get invloved

All banks are also cancelling their present paid cards services and no longer renewing pre paid cards or new applications.. it's not profitable enough. Pre paid cards don't generate interest like credit cards.

And go on any banks website and look at the cash, buying and selling.

Only thing off here is the bank not offering her a replacement card when it was compromised but that also depends on the expiry date..sure cards expiring in 2020 not gonna be worth the money to print the plastic

The debit card has USD on it that the customer loaded on to the card, the bank is refusing to give the customer the cash in USD when cancelling the card

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » September 30th, 2020, 11:32 pm

guess this was another reason people decided to go with DSS instead :D

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » October 1st, 2020, 5:03 am

abbow wrote:guess this was another reason people decided to go with DSS instead :D

i seeing charges for thai food restaurant and a couple other places that were declined from somewhere in Greece but the card seems to still be active. i dont usually have money on the card anyway. i would put money when i am ready to use it and put the exact amount or put $100 USD and load it on amazon gift card for use at a later date. are they disabling the card after the declined transaction ?

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » October 1st, 2020, 8:41 am

screwbash wrote:
abbow wrote:guess this was another reason people decided to go with DSS instead :D

i seeing charges for thai food restaurant and a couple other places that were declined from somewhere in Greece but the card seems to still be active. i dont usually have money on the card anyway. i would put money when i am ready to use it and put the exact amount or put $100 USD and load it on amazon gift card for use at a later date. are they disabling the card after the declined transaction ?

Same thing happened to my card involving said pizza establishment based in Canada. I received an email from Republic informing me that a transaction was declined at said place and to call if it wasn't me that made the transaction. Calling them took forever as there was a constant busy tone. When I did get through the person said I can cancel the card immediately and collect a payout in the bank but they are not reissuing new VTMs. I declined since I don't keep much money on it anyway. Card is still functional, used it yesterday

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 1st, 2020, 8:56 am

Typically the bank would cancel the card when there are unauthorized charges, especially in another country. In all cases really. Too much risk of a fraudster running the same card/numbers again undetected and that VISA account would be compromised. So they cancel it and just give the customer a new card the next day in the mail. That they didn't cancel it is bad for you.

So how come there is a suddenly flurry of unauthorized activity in Canada to so many VTM card holders in Trinidad at the same time? That's not more than suspicious? Either RBL entire database has been compromised by hackers, or something else.... oh yeah it's a computer glitch, don't worry.

mero

Postby mero » October 1st, 2020, 9:29 am

maj. tom wrote:Typically the bank would cancel the card when there are unauthorized charges, especially in another country. In all cases really. Too much risk of a fraudster running the same card/numbers again undetected and that VISA account would be compromised. So they cancel it and just give the customer a new card the next day in the mail. That they didn't cancel it is bad for you.

So how come there is a suddenly flurry of unauthorized activity in Canada to so many VTM card holders in Trinidad at the same time? That's not more than suspicious? Either RBL entire database has been compromised by hackers, or something else.... oh yeah it's a computer glitch, don't worry.

It's called bin attacks.. happens to every bank, figure out the first 6-8 numbers of a credit card and just used programming to run thousands of cards, eventually something has to hit. 2020 has lots of fraudulent activity, I suspect it's due to covid and lack of travel where tens of thousands of ppl normally get skimmed from and more ppl being home esp cyber criminals.

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » October 1st, 2020, 11:28 am

I went to that same bank last year to deposit some US onto my cc in advance for something I was going to purchase.
I give the teller the money and he opens a drawer full of US in a rubber band and adds it to it.
At the same time I overhear the guy at the counter next to me,(Caucasian guy to boot) being told by the teller that they don't have any US at the moment to give him and he needs to check back later.

Sensing an opportunity I ask my teller if I wanted back my US if I could get it back..he says yes as TT or a credit to my cc(which it was already). Says it's company policy not to give back US.

Trinis don't even understand the extent to which these banks are fcuking them.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » October 1st, 2020, 6:50 pm

TT dollar is legal tender for all debts public and private.

grandprixtt
Ricer

Postby grandprixtt » October 1st, 2020, 7:19 pm

mero wrote:
maj. tom wrote:Typically the bank would cancel the card when there are unauthorized charges, especially in another country. In all cases really. Too much risk of a fraudster running the same card/numbers again undetected and that VISA account would be compromised. So they cancel it and just give the customer a new card the next day in the mail. That they didn't cancel it is bad for you.

It's called bin attacks.. happens to every bank, figure out the first 6-8 numbers of a credit card and just used programming to run thousands of cards, eventually something has to hit. 2020 has lots of fraudulent activity, I suspect it's due to covid and lack of travel where tens of thousands of ppl normally get skimmed from and more ppl being home esp cyber criminals.

Unders your logic, but not possible. There is no transaction history on the business account. The owner of Taystee said his bank shows nothing suspicious. You would think running thousands of cards on a single business would show some kind of history.

grandprixtt
Ricer

Postby grandprixtt » October 1st, 2020, 11:12 pm

paid_influencer wrote:all the OP issues stem from two root causes:

1- the buying rate for USD is ridiculously below market value, and
2- there isn't enough USD to keep the VTM card service going.

OP could beat up all he want, it not going to fix the above issues.

Listen, I just want them to come better than that. My wife vtm get chop, my friends this week all in one go. I ain't want to lose mine like a ass. So if the general public made aware of this fake 'compromised card' bs, or a major leak in republics database.. they better come better than a mc pizza place.

If you check the comments, you would see the owner of the business claims he sees nothing, not even an out of province attempt to use his account to charge any cards, far less Trinidad cards. These emails are from republic, have no merit, and the CSRs not even telling people it was widespread. They getting "so what yuh was doin before this happen? Clicking horny singles in san fernando?" Blaming the victim, they only mistake was this time the batch was too big.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » October 1st, 2020, 11:51 pm

Skanky wrote:I went to that same bank last year to deposit some US onto my cc in advance for something I was going to purchase.
I give the teller the money and he opens a drawer full of US in a rubber band and adds it to it.
At the same time I overhear the guy at the counter next to me,(Caucasian guy to boot) being told by the teller that they don't have any US at the moment to give him and he needs to check back later.

Sensing an opportunity I ask my teller if I wanted back my US if I could get it back..he says yes as TT or a credit to my cc(which it was already). Says it's company policy not to give back US.

So when you do that and you buy from Amazon, can you switch to US$ for the purchase on your cc? Or will they convert to TT$ and charge you accordingly?

Skanky
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Skanky » October 2nd, 2020, 5:29 am

bluefete wrote:
Skanky wrote:I went to that same bank last year to deposit some US onto my cc in advance for something I was going to purchase.

So when you do that and you buy from Amazon, can you switch to US$ for the purchase on your cc? Or will they convert to TT$ and charge you accordingly?

Doesn't Amazon offer everybody the option to pay in either currency regardless?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 2nd, 2020, 10:54 am

Skanky wrote:
bluefete wrote:

Doesn't Amazon offer everybody the option to pay in either currency regardless?

Yes but at whatever Amazon sets their exchange rate to be

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”