Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

TSTT's CEO Resigns Effective 30/9/2020

Postby bluefete » September 23rd, 2020, 6:04 pm

Dr. Ronald Walcott:

Good riddance.

TSTT is in a total mess right now.

They cannot even generate bills on time since their "transformation".

Plus they recently put in a new voice system for calls that is one of the most terrible on the planet.

Maybe, Huawei forced them to do it.

Source: Wait for it!

K74T
TunerGod

Re: TSTT's CEO Resigns Effective 30/9/2020

Postby K74T » September 23rd, 2020, 6:27 pm

The Board of Directors of Telecommunications Services of Trinidad and Tobago Limited (TSTT) today announced the resignation of its Chief Executive Officer, Dr. Ronald Walcott who, after six years as CEO of the company, is moving on to pursue other career opportunities.

Dr. Walcott has been with the company for a total of 14 years and led the development and implementation of a five-year organisational transformation initiative that took TSTT, a legacy telecommunications organisation, into the digital arena.

Dr. Walcott said: “Having overseen the implementation of our 2016 – 2021 Strategic Plan, I think now is the right time for me to step away and for new leadership to steer the company through the next phase of its development. There are other challenges I would like to pursue.”

TSTT’s Chairman Sean Roach thanked Dr. Walcott for his stewardship during what he said was a challenging period for TSTT.

Dr. Walcott’s resignation takes effect on October 1st, 2020.

Ms. Lisa Agard will act as CEO following Dr. Walcott’s departure.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » September 23rd, 2020, 7:47 pm

Agreed the new voice system for contacting them and registering complaints and such is so opaque.

To be honest though the quality of the service only got bad recently, why the recent and sudden drop in quality?
Was his 6 year tenure so bad, was it incompetence or mismanagement or poor decisions or happy to let things go or all of the above?

is it that they see the writing on the wall for the company?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 23rd, 2020, 8:46 pm

Heard he resigned due to huge losses even after laying off hundreds of workers.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 23rd, 2020, 8:56 pm

Poor strategic decision-making going back to when Emile Elias was chairman and they bought Amplia from Massy for $250 million.

Total waste of money.

Also this happened in June 2020:

https://caribbeanbusinessreport.com/new ... rtability/

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » September 24th, 2020, 12:01 am

Can the company be turned around?

Does the current board have the ability to do so?

Why did they buy Amplia? Was there a market incentive or a friends and family deal?

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » September 24th, 2020, 12:06 am

Corporate service is currently horrible.....imagine asking for an update on a request (2 weeks after the promised delivery date) only to be told that they having trouble with foreign exchange.....they don't have inhouse support again or what? it's for a few softphone licenses :| 15 licenses at 35TT each. wtf?
Last edited by stev on September 24th, 2020, 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » September 24th, 2020, 12:08 am

Numb3r4 wrote:Can the company be turned around?

Does the current board have the ability to do so?

Why did they buy Amplia? Was there a market incentive or a friends and family deal?

probably not...Digicel and Flow taking the market slowly but surely TBH....some companies who are long time customers are even thinking about moving away from TSTT Metro....financial institutions i talking about.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » September 24th, 2020, 12:16 am

Losing corporate clients, oh boy.

Was this fall off recent (0-6years) with the tenure of this Walcott person or a long time in coming?

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » September 24th, 2020, 3:09 am

Lisa Agard was originally from TSTT, then she moved on to Massy Communications/Amplia, Guardian Media, CNMG/TTT and now back at TSTT. What a career! I noticed the article mentions, acting CEO so maybe they may or may not appoint her? I'm also still waiting for the exact reason why she was fired from the board at TTT, which was a government instructed decision.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » September 24th, 2020, 4:03 am

hmmm... regime change?

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » September 24th, 2020, 4:05 am

Dohplaydat wrote:Heard he resigned due to huge losses even after laying off hundreds of workers.

i am sure he still left with probably a 10/20 million or more in his separation package that he probably set up for himself to pay himself. so he smiling to his private yacht on his way to a tropical island that he can relax while we wuk and suffer till we dead.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » September 24th, 2020, 6:46 am

Don't hate on successful people!

Work hard an try an reach to the point where it can happen to u too. BTW gate is still available from certificates Stright up to PhD or Dba.
screwbash wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:Heard he resigned due to huge losses even after laying off hundreds of workers.

i am sure he still left with probably a 10/20 million or more in his separation package that he probably set up for himself to pay himself. so he smiling to his private yacht on his way to a tropical island that he can relax while we wuk and suffer till we dead.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 24th, 2020, 6:59 am

death365 wrote:Don't hate on successful people!

Work hard an try an reach to the point where it can happen to u too. BTW gate is still available from certificates Stright up to PhD or Dba.
screwbash wrote:

You know how many PhD's and DBA's out there ent making squat.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 24th, 2020, 7:00 am

agent007 wrote:Lisa Agard was originally from TSTT, then she moved on to Massy Communications/Amplia, Guardian Media, CNMG/TTT and now back at TSTT. What a career! I noticed the article mentions, acting CEO so maybe they may or may not appoint her? I'm also still waiting for the exact reason why she was fired from the board at TTT, which was a government instructed decision.

Good observation. The mess TSTT is in right now, they will have to pay the next CEO $millions to clean it up.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » September 24th, 2020, 9:31 am

After you qualify it is for u to push an make ur own part.

Education is only the 1st part... The rest is up to u... I personally know a few people who don't want to leave Trinidad to go Tobago and work....
Then cussing everyday that they unemployed
bluefete wrote:

screwbash wrote:

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 24th, 2020, 11:22 am

When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I used to work in Tobago as part of an audit team. Stayed in a hotel. One Thursday an entire team of models (about 20) came up for the weekend for a show and stayed in the hotel. No sleep was gotten that weekend.

I will go Tobago to work in a heartbeat. People do not know what they are missing.

death365 wrote:After you qualify it is for u to push an make ur own part.

Education is only the 1st part... The rest is up to u... I personally know a few people who don't want to leave Trinidad to go Tobago and work....
bluefete wrote:

screwbash wrote:

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » September 24th, 2020, 11:29 am

screwbash wrote:

What an incredibly ignorant statement. A man who make ceo, create job losses and questionable technology, give himself a bess vsep is successful?

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » September 24th, 2020, 4:20 pm

screwbash wrote:

Normal state enterprise largesse.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » September 24th, 2020, 4:33 pm

screwbash wrote:

the position duz be who you know and politically aligned with. look at the acting CEO now , she one a few state boards but still get the ceo wuk, y wasnt it advertised or given to someone who not on a state board or have a next or even the person just behind the CEO at same TSTT.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » September 24th, 2020, 11:24 pm

The government should just sell TSTT and done the whole story.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 25th, 2020, 12:07 am

how has amplia been performing? viable or money pit?

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » September 25th, 2020, 2:06 am

screwbash wrote:

screwbash wrote:

the position duz be who you know and politically aligned with. look at the acting CEO now , she one a few state boards but still get the ceo wuk, y wasnt it advertised or given to someone who not on a state board or have a next or even the person just behind the CEO at same TSTT.

It’s an acting position so she’s holding on until filled otherwise. She’s the GM of Amplia so very senior in the organization and held senior positions in TSTT. She’s well equipped for the job. What exactly is the problem ?

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » September 25th, 2020, 5:18 am

j.o.e wrote:
screwbash wrote:

screwbash wrote:

It’s an acting position so she’s holding on until filled otherwise. She’s the GM of Amplia so very senior in the organization and held senior positions in TSTT. She’s well equipped for the job. What exactly is the problem ?

no problem, jus showing these position is for certain people who know people or aligned politically a certain way. she was fired from TSTT. i am sure there had to be a second in command to the the CEO how come that person did not get acting CEO?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » September 25th, 2020, 7:06 am

screwbash wrote:

screwbash wrote:

If she was the Vice Chair, then that is normal pending the appointment of a substantive Chairman/Chairwoman.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » September 25th, 2020, 7:31 am

Long time that shoulda happen.... Sell back to C&W and done that
The_Honourable wrote:The government should just sell TSTT and done the whole story.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » September 25th, 2020, 4:58 pm

LOL
On this small island, you think any job paying upwards of $300k/yr going to anybody without a party card, church card or lodge card? Get real bro... "success" in this little crab barrel is for who knows you.

I'm sure Walcott had his alignments.. and while you're at it, find out which school he got his "Dr" from.

screwbash wrote:

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » September 25th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Weird flex, but agreed.
Ever so often (pre-covid) I have to go Tobago for a few days... its definitely relaxing; until the shortages and transport-to-trinidad issues kick in,, then, stress.

bluefete wrote:When I was in my late teens and early twenties, I used to work in Tobago as part of an audit team. Stayed in a hotel. One Thursday an entire team of models (about 20) came up for the weekend for a show and stayed in the hotel. No sleep was gotten that weekend.

I will go Tobago to work in a heartbeat. People do not know what they are missing.

death365 wrote:After you qualify it is for u to push an make ur own part.

bluefete wrote:

screwbash wrote:

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » September 29th, 2020, 10:52 am

Well, look t'ing.

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/09/29/rowley ... s-by-300m/

Rowley: TSTT overbilled taxpayers by $300m
CARLA BRIDGLAL 8 HRS AGO

State telecoms company TSTT overcharged taxpayers by $300 million for providing cameras to the government, the Prime Minister said Monday. Dr Rowley did not specify what type of cameras, but in 2016 the Ministry of National Security partnered with TSTT to set up a pilot CCTV/surveillance project.

Rowley said TSTT claimed the arrangement it had with Government for providing these cameras had run up a debt of $750 million. The Prime Minister said he felt compelled to clarify after head of the Communication Workers’ Union Clyde Elder claimed Government owed TSTT at least $500 million and up to $1 billion.

“The spokesperson for the union from TSTT made some very definitive statements here which I need to address. One is that the government owes TSTT $1 billion dollars. As head of the Cabinet, I know of no such thing. What I do know is that we do owe TSTT some money.”

Rowley said the Government looked “very closely” at TSTT’s claim and came to the conclusion that there was no basis for the claim.

“You must remember TSTT is a company 51 per cent owned by the people of Trinidad and Tobago, and 49 per cent owned by a foreign company. TSTT was claiming that the arrangement we had with the government for providing cameras had run up a debt of $750 million. This government looked very closely at that and came to the conclusion that there was no basis for that claim.

”In fact, as far as the government is concerned, with our communication with and our relationship with TSTT, the government's understanding is that debt is of an order of approximately $200 million.”

He said recently, the government came up with a way for that $200 million to be paid to TSTT. He said as far as the government was concerned, “TSTT has been, in the context of an existing contract and an expired contract, grossly overbilling the taxpayers for the supply of those cameras.”

Instead of accepting TSTT 's claim and “after tremendous resistance from all sorts of underlings and imps in the system,” Rowley said the Government managed to draw out and have a public tender to supply the service.

“The bids came in with TSTT bidding $380 million for the service. Another able contractor that was pre-qualified bid $80 million. So, in fact, by tender process we have discovered that TSTT was (overcharging) the country by $300 million in that arrangement.” That was unacceptable, he said because it would mean “putting 49 per cent in Cable and Wireless’ pocket.”

Cable and Wireless is the minority owner of TSTT; the State owns the other 51 per cent.

“We didn’t want to do that at all. The Government awarded the contract to the best bid at $80 million, and that work is underway.” Government is now in negotiations with TSTT to settle the outstanding debt, on a quantum meruit basis (a reasonable sum for services rendered based on the contract) of government’s offer of an approximation of $4 million a month.

“So, it is not the final story, or accurate to say that the government is owing TSTT this $1 billion or $700 million, and is portraying it as though we are the cause of any demise of TSTT’s business as usual.”TSTT did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » September 29th, 2020, 1:33 pm

^^ tbh, sounds like the contract ran out and Rows not paying even though the service remained active
Also sounds like fam&friends getting an $80m contract.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”