Taxes to be removed on Laptops and Tablets says Finance Minister

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: Taxes to be removed on Laptops and Tablets says Finance Minister

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 9th, 2020, 10:29 am

fireworks wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:the platforms that are beign used for schooling work much better on desktops, there are aspects of the video sharing and the micropohone that do NOT work properly with tablets....

In the USA My kids over the past few months used windows laptop, chromebook, iPad, iphone Samsung Android tablet android phone for school and it was the same experience across all OS. Did zoom google meet google class.

What platforms do you think the schools in Trinidad using ?

Same here
Tablet experience was not any different for live sessions from a laptop or desktop

Many platforms are used locally including Google Classroom, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Edmodo etc

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 9th, 2020, 10:39 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
fireworks wrote:
Ben_spanna wrote:the platforms that are beign used for schooling work much better on desktops, there are aspects of the video sharing and the micropohone that do NOT work properly with tablets....

In the USA My kids over the past few months used windows laptop, chromebook, iPad, iphone Samsung Android tablet android phone for school and it was the same experience across all OS. Did zoom google meet google class.

Same here
Tablet experience was not any different for live sessions from a laptop or desktop

Many platforms are used locally including Google Classroom, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Edmodo etc

same here.
Kindle worked decent, but meeting volume was low so I am using a BT speaker. (a number of platforms had this low vol issue for meetings)
It has a potatocam, but my kid is not presenting, so that's ok - teacher can see her fine when needed.

Had to sideload apps because Amazon store dotish, but at least it possible.

I rescued an older laptop as a backup plan in case we need it

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 9th, 2020, 11:24 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
fireworks wrote:

Same here

same here.
Kindle worked decent, but meeting volume was low so I am using a BT speaker. (a number of platforms had this low vol issue for meetings)
It has a potatocam, but my kid is not presenting, so that's ok - teacher can see her fine when needed.

Had to sideload apps because Amazon store dotish, but at least it possible.

I rescued an older laptop as a backup plan in case we need it
If you want to use an old computer for distance meetings, you can consider migrating the OS to CloudReady, also. There are other Chrome Linus distros but this one seems to have a solid track record.

What's the best CloudReady device? The one you already have.

CloudReady: Home Edition is the free, easy way to transform your old PC or Mac into a high-performing Chrome device.

https://www.neverware.com/freedownload#intro-text

On a related note, although I don't see the logic behind not including desktop computers in the tax elimination, I don't agree that desktops are a better alternative for any student or mobile worker. The steady drop in desktop market share likely supports that position.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 10th, 2020, 10:37 pm

Parents continue long hunt for laptops
By Bavita Gopaulchan -September 8, 2020

Electronic stores across the country are currently running low on computer stocks, as many parents are still rushing to purchase laptops and other electronic devices for their children to access online learning this term.

Guardian Media visited several stores yesterday where lines of people, including parents and their children, were seen outside awaiting their turn to enter.

Kevin Victory, a technician at The Wizz Computers, told Guardian Media the last three weeks have been hectic at the various outlets.

“Laptops are selling like hot bread right now and we are almost out of all the laptops we have here,” Victory said.

“We have a shipment coming in with about 1,000 laptops by about next week,” he added.

Parent Shameed Mohammed said he spent several days going to various stores to find a laptop for his son Naveed with little luck.

“I have been checking all over and is like every store sold out,” Mohammed said.

“This morning I called like 15 to 20 places, nobody has stock. But some expecting stock by Friday or next week and you have no choice but to go around.”

Over the last few weeks, The Wizz technician Victory said many parents have been coming to their stores and were overwhelmed by the variety of brands and specifications to choose from.

However, according to Jonathan Mahabir, a lecturer at the Computer Forensics and Security Institute, buying a laptop for a child is actually quite simple. He advised parents not to get lost in the technical jargon.

Mahabir noted, “They don’t need anything more than the basics right now and that is really just to do Zoom meetings and tabs for their research, so that does not need a big, powerful system.”

Mahabir said the specifications could be a “basic 4core system, either Intel or AMD, and at least eight gigabytes of ram.” This type of system, he indicated, could cost anything between TT$2,700 to $3,400.

Minister of Finance Colm Imbert last week announced that all taxes on laptops, computers, notebook computers and tablet computers have been removed. However, prices on these items have not yet fallen since the legal notice to have the taxes removed was only finalised yesterday by the Finance Ministry.

Apart from laptops, Guardian Media was told there has also been a rush for webcams and desktop repairs.

Meanwhile, learning from home does not prevent children from being bullied and led astray.

Daren Dhoray, a digital anthropologist at CyberSafeTT, warned that the web can be a dark place and advised parents to take the necessary precautions to ensure their children’s safety in the digital world.

“There are tools like routers and so on that you can enable parental controls which would sort of block certain sites but all of that is quickly negated when you have a data plan on your phone and it is not being monitored by the home network,” Dhoray told Guardian Media.

He also advised parents to install anti-virus and anti-malware software and monitor the webcams on their children’s computers.

Apart from laptops, Guardian Media was told there has also been a rush for webcams and desktop repairs.

https://www.cnc3.co.tt/parents-continue ... r-laptops/

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 10th, 2020, 10:47 pm

they can use desktops...

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 11th, 2020, 12:05 am

Economy getting a lil boost. transient, though.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 11th, 2020, 6:18 am

there are loads of used mini towers on ebay from company surplus going real cheap
need monitors though.

sMASH wrote:they can use desktops...

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » September 11th, 2020, 6:30 am

What about those mini pc units that plug into the TV like a fire stick. They sell for under 100usd. Can that be an option?

Not certain why the push for expensive laptops for these children. Somebody looking to eat a big food...
pugboy wrote:there are loads of used mini towers on ebay from company surplus going real cheap
need monitors though.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 11th, 2020, 6:37 am

feeding frenzy indeed
sorry for parents with all them cheap android tablets that does start to crash

Gladiator wrote:What about those mini pc units that plug into the TV like a fire stick. They sell for under 100usd. Can that be an option?

Not certain why the push for expensive laptops for these children. Somebody looking to eat a big food...
pugboy wrote:there are loads of used mini towers on ebay from company surplus going real cheap
need monitors though.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 11th, 2020, 7:59 am

Gladiator wrote:What about those mini pc units that plug into the TV like a fire stick. They sell for under 100usd. Can that be an option?

need monitors though.

is that the android boxes that u use to watch the cable tv? if so, once u can load up some office software, the zoom app and watsapp, that should get the trick done.

me, i personally like the mini towers, the small dell ones that cant fit an optical drive, just an apu, and bolt it to the back of a monitor.

there a a lot of options, if they expand the interpretation away from laptops alone. but then again, its only for three months, only some of the taxes, and only because the donkeys them vote for dat.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 11th, 2020, 8:48 am

sMASH wrote:

need monitors though.

is that the android boxes that u use to watch the cable tv? if so, once u can load up some office software, the zoom app and watsapp, that should get the trick done.

me, i personally like the mini towers, the small dell ones that cant fit an optical drive, just an apu, and bolt it to the back of a monitor.

there a a lot of options, if they expand the interpretation away from laptops alone. but then again, its only for three months, only some of the taxes, and only because the donkeys them vote for dat.
Plus a microphone, a webcam, and a keyboard/mouse combo.

Or you can spend US$130 on a Lenovo M10 tablet and use it anywhere that has web access.

Or you can buy a laptop for less than US$300.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/best ... -under-300

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 11th, 2020, 9:04 am

sMASH wrote:

need monitors though.

Keep in mind that a webcam and microphone are required for online learning and Zoom / Teams. A TV and many desktops will require having to add these on. Laptops and tablets have these built in.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 11th, 2020, 10:38 am

I recall a mini computer like device for around $30 that can do different things but u have to addon some stuff to it including monitor, keyboard, etc.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 11th, 2020, 11:02 am

redmanjp wrote:I recall a mini computer like device for around $30 that can do different things but u have to addon some stuff to it including monitor, keyboard, etc.

webcam, microphone, speakers, mouse also

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 11th, 2020, 11:16 am

redmanjp wrote:I recall a mini computer like device for around $30 that can do different things but u have to addon some stuff to it including monitor, keyboard, etc.

The Raspberry PI or Pine64? that's a bit deep for most (nontechie) parents to do

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 11th, 2020, 11:23 am

VexXx Dogg wrote:

The Raspberry PI or Pine64? that's a bit deep for most (nontechie) parents to do
Or, you can buy a US$130 Lenovo M10 tablet and the kid can use it anywhere with web access.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 11th, 2020, 11:28 am

adnj wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

Or, you can buy a US$130 Lenovo M10 tablet and the kid can use it anywhere with web access.
is some one bulk buys them, set them up, bolt them to a monitor, and sells it as a plugnplay package.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 11th, 2020, 11:36 am

sMASH wrote:
adnj wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

is some one bulk buys them, set them up, bolt them to a monitor, and sells it as a plugnplay package.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 11th, 2020, 11:55 am

adnj wrote:
sMASH wrote:
adnj wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: well yeah,,, if its available still, lol.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » September 11th, 2020, 1:51 pm

If any teacher dumb enough to use video, they are not protected from certain misuse. Just letting them know

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » September 11th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Tobago Teacher sells soup to buy laptops for pupils ....

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/09/11/teache ... iAoBvXs6q0

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 11th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Mason Hall Government Primary School eh?
So proud of the goodly Doctor "From Mason Hall to White Hall."
Taking care of his community.

When Kamla was giving them laptops...... look i eh getting into this PNM sheit right now nah. It too frustrating how the PNM does suffer the people... right in front their faces, kicking them down and spitting on them... and they still voting back PNM. But then blaming the Calcutta Ship.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » September 11th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Nice.
This is why I support PNM.
Suffer them more.
They seem to like it.

I like to see them suffer willingly.
It is consensual. No one is being hurt or doing anything against their will.
Is like one of them bondage/bdsm flick.

Fun fact: Did you know that if PNM put a funnel in each of their supporters "angus" and pour some ground bird pepper and vinegar, they might bawl a lil bit at first, but ultimately will ask to change it up for "Moruga Scorpion?"

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » September 11th, 2020, 8:10 pm

What a jack arse country, stop goverment laptops in favour runing soup sales to buy laptop

All you PNM idiots take bull

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » September 11th, 2020, 8:57 pm

I think I speak for (myself and) all PNM people when I say "we like it so"

But ent alour could bring down a whole set of these devices during the 3 months period and then sell them back at dig-out-eye price after the 3 month, and say how price increase because tax came back?
You would get some good money dey man.

And then you can't say pnm eh do nutn for you.

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » September 14th, 2020, 11:20 am

web.png

Anyone else experiencing this? I heard up to the 8th people were invoiced with taxes and Web Source said that they cannot comment on refunds till they are advised about how they are refunded by Customs.

So basically you have to play the waiting game?

zorced
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby zorced » September 14th, 2020, 1:43 pm

Was just advised by consumer affairs to be patient as they are still trying to get a better understanding of the details involved with customs.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » September 14th, 2020, 2:04 pm

I just collect a 679US laptop
Paid freight only. TT$155
I grab it and run

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 14th, 2020, 2:07 pm

they did a NLCB and implement the measure based on the announcement without the black and white.
dont answer no strange pbx numbers.

abbow
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby abbow » September 14th, 2020, 3:02 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:I just collect a 679US laptop
Paid freight only. TT$155
I grab it and run

paid similar on two separate purchases as well.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”