Forums

Cheapest Used Car to maintain

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Cheapest Used Car to maintain

Postby Chimera » August 6th, 2020, 11:41 am

I have a almera with 400k mileage and the original engine.....use to be a econo car vehicle and then the 2nd owner use to work taxi.....
Working good still

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » August 6th, 2020, 6:58 pm

almera really good on running cost, doh listen to anyone who say hilux is good thing and cheap to maintain. call around and find out the cost of some parts, 10-12k for a set of injectors, turbo 4-5k.

almera or fielder gets my vote. Was going to buy a fielder soon, but just might change my mind on that.. I seeing finishing my laurel first.

oh and dont buy any laurels or ciferos, thats a HUGE money pit, doh ask me how i know.

xtech
punchin NOS

Postby xtech » August 6th, 2020, 9:08 pm

Toyota Prius most economic car I ever owned.

And my Legnum still can’t beat it for reliability

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » August 6th, 2020, 9:50 pm

Rovin wrote:whatever u go with d most important ting imo is getting a non-beat-out car , especially like mentioned above 1 dat never licks wukkin PH

alot of trinis abuse their rides then want to flash it over\pretty it up to hide all d crap under neath to catch some unsuspecting buyer

always take a mechanic or somebody who know cars along with u to spot stuff u didnt catch

very important to check if its a fairly recent car is to do a credit check & make sure car is on owners name not previous owner ...

This.

Had a time I went with a friend to buy a car. Paint over, engine bay clean and everything looking nice. Car start up nice but I find the exhaust smelling funny so I just easily open the oil cap while they were ole talking and it was looking milky so I say ah ha head gasket have to change.

Taking it for a test drive now the owner driving real slow and it did not shift smoothly into 2nd and it did not want to go into 3rd so he was babying it. I tell the driver mash gas you keeping back traffic. He mash and it slip :|

I start cussing one time about the dishonesty he was showing. I almost hit the guy some hard slap. My friend said just leave it but I telling him you cant let people advantage you like that hoss :|

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » August 6th, 2020, 10:12 pm

i went with someone to check out a b2500, the guy was like lemme come meet you guys somewhere ect, i insisted No, dont start it as yet, i wanna be there for the first start of the morning, open bonnet and made sure engine was stone cold.

the guy turn to heat, return back the key and reheat, tumble tumble, tumble Salt. i hit the primer a two pump and he hit a start again, battery start to run low now, noticable rpm drop while rolling over
bam so it start up, white smoke at the back of the van, engine start to miss then stabilize.

prob glowplug relay? glowplugs? leaking injectors?

left it right there but the van was horribly overpriced at the time.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 6th, 2020, 11:00 pm

Actually it has a cost to servicing, repair and time that can be measured.

rebound wrote:I had an NZE and a Wingroad (both new foreign used.lol). I had both cars for 5 years, properly maintained and both cars cost me nothing extra from normal maintenance.

I met the current owner of the Wingroad last year and he said the car is doing great, all he had to do was paint over, suspension and bushings, and changed the engine twice (apparently thats not a big deal).

I met the current owner of the NZE last week and he said the car is doing great but, he had to do over the air condition system (apparently that was the big deal for him).

So I guess its perspective. Theoretically in my veiw the 17 year old NZE serviced the owner with little issue but, I notice that Nissan owners are cool with seeing an engine changes as a plus.....

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 6th, 2020, 11:10 pm

Ted_v2 wrote:almera really good on running cost, doh listen to anyone who say hilux is good thing and cheap to maintain. call around and find out the cost of some parts, 10-12k for a set of injectors, turbo 4-5k.

almera or fielder gets my vote. Was going to buy a fielder soon, but just might change my mind on that.. I seeing finishing my laurel first.

oh and dont buy any laurels or ciferos, thats a HUGE money pit, doh ask me how i know.

How often you changing parts in a Hilux? And it has so much Hilux in the country you can get used Hilux parts to buy at a fraction of the cost of a new one and often they hold up just as good. Nobody not really gonna buy brand new Hilux parts from the firm unless just so, the foreign used parts hold up just as good and far cheaper.

Statistically speaking Hilux is the cheapest to maintain, there is a reason Toyota is the number 1 selling vehicle brand on the planet.

It is the best value for money and proven to be the most reliable by every consumer report documentation.

Nissan which is owned by renault ranks as one of the most unreliable brands in the world

Watch any Scotty Kilmer video and you will see every recommendation he ever makes is ALWAYS Toyota and NEVER Nissan and for good reason.

The only reason Trinis does big up Nissan is because the knock off imitation parts dog cheap even though it doh last one fck and they end up paying more for mechanic's time in the long run.

It is foolish to think that any vehicle on the planet could ever compare to Hilux reliability especially the older ones. I have NEVER EVER heard ANYBODY in my life Complain about their Hilux. Most people buy Hilux and keep it for life, you does hardly ever see men selling their Hilux unless they upgrading. Almost nobody selling their Hilux cause it giving problem this is literally the most reliable vehicle ever made so much that Top Gear has a trophy of one

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 6th, 2020, 11:18 pm

Only in Trinidad do men claim that Toyota is expensive.

Every other part of the world Toyota is considered the cheapest and best value for money, period.

Can you get knock off imitation Nissan shocks for $400? yes
Does Toyota shocks cost 4 times that price? yes

Does the Toyota shocks last 4 times longer? NO they actually last 10 Times longer.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » August 7th, 2020, 8:30 am

Toyota is king in reliability...not sure for recent models though..hearing hybrid battery probs.

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Nexus » August 7th, 2020, 8:44 am

Does the axio fall in to this category?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 7th, 2020, 8:54 am

Effectic...do you have a hilux? Have you ever had to buy a hilux part?

3 weeks ago my brother in law had to spend 6000 to replace the clutch in a 5 year old tdd hilux after a drive up paragrand.

Then last week a worker rest throw out some drain cleaner form the regular bottle into a plastic bottle and rest it on the seat for 10 minutes before he go to use it in a sink

Drain cleaner melt through the bottle and through the seat and floor mat

Toyota want 6000 for the bottom part of the passenger seat

A fella in south have a set of seats for $8000

Toyopet
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Toyopet » August 7th, 2020, 8:58 am

You're somewhat right wrt the diesel Hilux. You may get lucky and get one that doesn't call for parts but I would not advise it to someone looking for a low maintenance vehicle.

I know personally of too many 3.0 Hilux' that went wrong, and when they did, they went really wrong (turbos, injectors, complete engines, transmissions etc)

And that is on top of already high maintenance costs of owning ANY diesel vehicle (close to 2 quarts of oil, fuel filter which a petrol engine rarely has, diesel treatment due to our shitty diesel etc).

IMO if you have to get a Hilux, get a 2.7 petrol edition.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Almera and Tiida

But my personal recommendation is Corolla 101 or NZE, it even cheaper in the long term because parts last longer even tho it costs more you get more value for your money

If you could afford a 2007 era model Hilux that is lifetime. Diesel is also far more reliable than gas cause it needs no spark plugs or coil pack it works on compression.

My brother has a Hilux new bought in 2006 it is a TCA the viigo model if u call it that and only thing he changed so far was Oil, Tire and break pads.

Let that sink in for a second and you will realize these Hilux using alien technology it almost never needs maintenance.

Toyota has no competition there is a reason they will always be number 1

Imagine having a vehicle for 14 years and never changed anything but the basics like oil and tire that is the benefit you get when you go Toyota

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 7th, 2020, 9:34 am

that recent rounds of bad diesel a few months ago firetruck up realll plenty hilux

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 7th, 2020, 10:10 am

Nexus wrote:Does the axio fall in to this category?

Most people I know complained about tranny issues

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 7th, 2020, 10:15 am

cvt gearboxes require regular oil changes
otherwise it’s big money to fix

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:
Nexus wrote:Does the axio fall in to this category?

Most people I know complained about tranny issues

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 7th, 2020, 10:17 am

any diesel with variable vanes turbo cam fail long term which is why the 2.5 hilux tut is tend to last very long.

diesel pickups gonna cost more in the long haul for sure
require frequent oil changes
cost of bigger tires

when diesel was $1.5 it was a steal
not anymore

Toyopet wrote:You're somewhat right wrt the diesel Hilux. You may get lucky and get one that doesn't call for parts but I would not advise it to someone looking for a low maintenance vehicle.

I know personally of too many 3.0 Hilux' that went wrong, and when they did, they went really wrong (turbos, injectors, complete engines, transmissions etc)

And that is on top of already high maintenance costs of owning ANY diesel vehicle (close to 2 quarts of oil, fuel filter which a petrol engine rarely has, diesel treatment due to our shitty diesel etc).

IMO if you have to get a Hilux, get a 2.7 petrol edition.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Almera and Tiida

But my personal recommendation is Corolla 101 or NZE, it even cheaper in the long term because parts last longer even tho it costs more you get more value for your money

If you could afford a 2007 era model Hilux that is lifetime. Diesel is also far more reliable than gas cause it needs no spark plugs or coil pack it works on compression.

My brother has a Hilux new bought in 2006 it is a TCA the viigo model if u call it that and only thing he changed so far was Oil, Tire and break pads.

Let that sink in for a second and you will realize these Hilux using alien technology it almost never needs maintenance.

Toyota has no competition there is a reason they will always be number 1

Imagine having a vehicle for 14 years and never changed anything but the basics like oil and tire that is the benefit you get when you go Toyota

mad
Sweet on this forum

Postby mad » August 7th, 2020, 10:19 am

Chris00007 wrote:What is the cheapest USED car in terms of maintenance. The initial price doesn't matter but I'm looking for something that would be the cheapest to maintain from now until the next 6 years or so. Cheap engine, transmission, suspension parts etc.

Looking at the Almera, Y12 Wingroad, Tiida and Note so far. If y'all have any others, feel free to suggest

Based on your suggestion I am assuming you looking to spend between 25K to 40K max. And it seems like you want to go Nissan.
I owned quite a number of vehicle car brands including German. So I will give you my two cents on your topic.
First off. Toyota is king when it comes to reliability. Parts are little more expensive but it last way longer than the other car brands.
Second if this is your first time owning a vehicle I would say to go with the Nissan. While I would agree with the others to go with an NZE, but the thing is you don't know what your buying and you may end up with "cat in bag". With Nissan you sure parts cheap and you could get the car running to good standard fairly cheap. But if you personally know someone who has an NZE that has been kept well, then don't hesitate to buy it. Plus the price range would be in your bracket.

With regards to Honda as someone mentioned, I did own a EG9 SIR VTEC and I gave this car a hell of a beating. The roads by me back in those days when I had it was like the moon with big craters. The suspension in this civic held up quite impressively based on how I used to treat it and I was running 17's on it. Had it for about 2 years with no issues, just changed oil and filter.. Sold it with about 283000K on the Odometer. I would rank Honda very close to Toyota. With respect to Honda engines you get a little more juice out of the Honda as compared to Toyota with similar displacement. I presently have a Honda Vezel for sale atm, anyone interested can p.m me for details and pics.

With regards to the Hilux. Please see my thread below:
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=522330
I forgot to update this thread, but basically all I did was put a brand new MAP sensor and flushed the fuel tank. Bad fuel can put you in problems with these vans. But nevertheless they work really good, I still have mine up to this day. At around 150000km you will have to change the timing belt as well as the oils. This usually cost around 8k-10k, parts and labour. But after that you good to go for another 150000Km. What I learnt is that a bad MAP sensor can also trigger a fuel rail sensor failure. So the thing is to change the MAP sensor first before you dig in further. It will save you some big$.

With respect to Mitsubishi, I only owned the Triton pick-up for this brand as well as the 3rd Gen L200. I would definitely rank my Triton higher than my Vigo in terms of performance and reliability. The Vigo just have a more comfortable drive. With respect to Sedans I have no experience with this brand, but the pick-ups are very strong and reliable.

German: Parts cheap online. In fact some cheaper than Toyota. (shocks is a good example). Excellent performance as compared to any Japanese brand. Be prepared to spend some change at the 100000Km mileage mark. Labour can be a bit more expensive but most important make sure you have a good mechanic for these cars.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask.

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » August 7th, 2020, 10:27 am

wouldn't recommend a pickup at all if yuh looking for cheap maintenance
is true you don't have to change parts as often but when you do you gon wish you didn't own a pickup

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 7th, 2020, 10:30 am

Come on now that is just wilful ignorance if the man put acid on something and rest it on he seat and it burn through he whole hilux. And who changing clutch in a TDD Hilux? my brother TCA from 2006 with 300k Mileage never required a clutch plate change. Clearly again somebody riding the clutch and burn it out........ You can't attribute that to "maintenance" that is damage and ignorance.

Now I don't own a Hilux personally but my brother has a TCA Hilux and my father has a TBO Hilux and both those vehicles work SOLID as you would ever imagine. I was the one who burn out the clutch in my dad TBO Hilux cause at the time I didn't know how to drive manual but that was my fault and the parts was NOT expensive to fix. But then we don't buy our Parts on Toyota we order our parts from Ebay or buy it used down South. So we have 0 complaints about prices

They are not 3.0 or anything like that they are BASIC 2.5 or what have you versions we learned our lesson long ago about buying complicated vehicles when we had that VTEC EG8. We from there on always went for the most basic and simple models.

Since I sold my 101 Corolla to finish renovate my house during Covid pandemic my father say he will help me buy a Hilux when I ready he will reach me halfway, so that will be 3 Hilux in the family. I will be looking at something like a TCA or TCK etc for around $60,000

Imagine I bought that 101 Corolla from a man who abused it pulling bull PH and I keep it for 5 years never change anything and sold it for the same price I paid the only issue is it needed a paint over and a lil body work but fcking car was solid as hell mechanically it get covered completely submerged by the great flood 2 years ago that had people sleeping on their house roof the car started fine next day when I flushed the mud from the Engine and transmission. I will never buy something other than Toyota, I may consider an Almera tho but them thing is thief car bandit love it.

Bandit eh running down no Hilux plus Diesel burns way slower than Gas and it cheaper and you never have to worry about Coil pack or spark plug failing.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 7th, 2020, 10:35 am

Just something I want to mention my dad has his TBO Hilux for what 20 years? and he never had to change Shocks or bearings infact from my understand I can't even remember him ever changing balljoints or bushing. Never had any issue with Engine, just a lil servicing the regular here and there. the ONLY issue it has is when you switch off the Engine it will still run, you have to put it in 5th gear and release the clutch to shut it off, thats the ONLY issue he pickup has right now and that real good for 20 years service free of maintenance.

Let that sink in for a second eh.

So I agree, maintenance on these 4X4 isn't cheap, but how often or when are you going to maintain it? assuming you TAKE CARE OF IT, check it and see also my dad buys USED tires for his Hilux.

he pays $160 to $200 for a foreign used tire. Will you pay serious money for brand new ones? sure but who does that? you get used tires in almost new condition for a fraction of the price. We run stock rims, if you want to get aftermarket rims you gonna pay big money for hilux tires.

A pickup is useful for making extra money as transport, I used to use my dad Hilux to make a lil hustle for people in the area cause his one is 2 Door single cab so the tray long plus we have a 2 coconut estate and 4 acres of orange citrus so it was real useful. But if you doubt you would get transport wuk or have 0 use for a pickup and never will well yeah you could just get a cheap Corolla or Almera. I know my next vehicle is a Hilux around $60k tho cause where I live does REAL FLOOD with water so high it gets inside the car and I fedup of Trinidad jackass pothole filled roads that mashing up car suspension. Hilux does handle these roads and flooding good

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » August 7th, 2020, 11:10 am

As reliable as they are. Any issue gonna be an expensive issue. And remember you buying a heavily used vehicle

rebound
Riding on 17's

Postby rebound » August 7th, 2020, 11:16 am

I would not really blame the TDD hilux clutch change on the pickup tho...thats more sounding like driving style to me.

konartis
Shifting into 6th

Postby konartis » August 7th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Cheaper is the Nissan vehicles, but reliable and less maintenance is Honda : civic to be exact.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 7th, 2020, 9:25 pm

So much to go through

I would take spark plugs, coils over diesel injectors any day.

2.7 litre gas lux have problems with the emissions blower motor (I can't recall the proper name for it)... You can look it up.

A lot of persons don't have any idea about the sensitivities of a high pressure common rail diesel. (The major difference between the gas and the diesel lux besides the obvious is that the diesel requires about 2 extra litres of oil, and a timing belt replacement and it has a turbo vs plugs, coils).
I think fuel consumption is similar.

Ahh Honda... Suspension is complicated up until they started using MacPherson struts in their economy boxes, and even then it is still complicated. Parts are generally expensive. Transmission is complicated. Small engines usually lack torque so they are revved higher to compensate. Parts are generally available online due to popularity in the states and sheriff auto supplies

Simple design
Honda rear trailing arm multi link suspension= 16 bushings for the entire rear end.
Any rear trailing arm suspension= 4 bushings for the entire rear end

Driving style... You can burn out a mitsu CVT in less than 100 km driving it like you stole it or it can last at least 100000kms if you drive it sensibly.

I have also experienced where people have "no problems" but they didn't know something was wrong so they never had it repaired... But the following owner found the problem and they had to bear the expense so to the first owner, it is a reliable car but to the subsequent owner it is unreliable or expensive.

Toyota for the win

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 7th, 2020, 9:38 pm

^ Hoss you would buy a Gas Hilux in this country? I think you would setting up yourself if you do?

Price of gas high and a 2.7L Gas Engine gonna drink gas, yes?

Where you getting parts for a Gas Engine Hilux? 99% of Hilux in Trini is Diesel, if you need parts for a diesel you can go to any Hilux scrap yard and get the parts pretty cheap.

Gas? you might have to go TTTL and I could imagine how much they would charge for something there.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » August 7th, 2020, 11:34 pm

Yes

I well give you a hint: the engine is sold in another Toyota pickup truck in the USA.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:^ Hoss you would buy a Gas Hilux in this country? I think you would setting up yourself if you do?

Price of gas high and a 2.7L Gas Engine gonna drink gas, yes?

Where you getting parts for a Gas Engine Hilux? 99% of Hilux in Trini is Diesel, if you need parts for a diesel you can go to any Hilux scrap yard and get the parts pretty cheap.

Gas? you might have to go TTTL and I could imagine how much they would charge for something there.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » August 7th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Wait na ppl does still buy parts at Toyota Trinidad?

A part number is easy to get.

Bring in your own parts and you will STILL come out cheaper than the dealer.

People going to buy parts at TTTL and bawling about the price as if that is the price in general for all Toyota parts.

Lol

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 8th, 2020, 3:09 am

MaxPower wrote:Wait na ppl does still buy parts at Toyota Trinidad?

People going to buy parts at TTTL and bawling about the price as if that is the price in general for all Toyota parts.

Lol

This is what i trying to figure out the kinda price men talking about here all kinda $11,000 for fuel rail and all kinda thing it has to be TTTL them shopping.

We does either buy online or from the Hilux scrap yard, have plenty crash hilux in Trinidad you getting good parts from for a fraction of the proce TTTL want

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 8th, 2020, 5:33 am

Tbh I wont really buy a used pickup from NO1. No matter the brand, how it looking, I aint buying. Brand new or nothing else

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » August 8th, 2020, 8:08 am

MaxPower wrote:Wait na ppl does still buy parts at Toyota Trinidad?

Lol
Even Scotty says buying oem from toyota dealership is whack.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”