Cantilever Stairs

Postby Johndoe1992 » August 3rd, 2020, 11:39 am

can anyone advise on a designer/ builder for a floating stairs :?:

Johndoe1992
Riding on 13's

Re: Cantilever Stairs

Postby Johndoe1992 » August 3rd, 2020, 11:30 pm

Bump
Johndoe1992 wrote:can anyone advise on a designer/ builder for a floating stairs :?:

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » August 4th, 2020, 9:24 am

Johndoe1992 wrote:can anyone advise on a designer/ builder for a floating stairs :?:

just build a regular stairs and say wingardium leviosa,

(note, it's leviOsa not leviosarrrrrr)

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 4th, 2020, 9:48 am

that requires some good structural design engineering
Always good to seek out a proper architect because it won't be as simple as just getting a builder to do something from a sketch pr photograph

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 4th, 2020, 10:18 am

MG Man wrote:

Always good to seek out a proper architect because it won't be as simple as just getting a builder to do something from a sketch pr photograph
There are wall-mounted and center-beam floating stairs. Wall-mounted stairs require structural calculations for the wall. Center-beam, not so much.

You will still need someone to review, calculate and recommend pitch, height and depth dimensions.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 4th, 2020, 10:26 am

adnj wrote:
MG Man wrote:

There are wall-mounted and center-beam floating stairs. Wall-mounted stairs require structural calculations for the wall. Center-beam, not so much.

You will still need someone to review, calculate and recommend pitch, height and depth dimensions.

yup. A good architect will be able to do the math
That's the point of using an architect vs a house plans draughtsman or a builder
center beam kills the effect
But yeah, not something you can just wake up and decide 'yeah ah want dat

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 4th, 2020, 10:55 am

MG Man wrote:
adnj wrote:
MG Man wrote:

yup. A good architect will be able to do the math
That's the point of using an architect vs a house plans draughtsman or a builder
center beam kills the effect
But yeah, not something you can just wake up and decide 'yeah ah want dat

I especially appreciate the added qualification of a "good" architect. I have seen some designs that were best suited to walking up an old church tower.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 4th, 2020, 11:06 am

if u have d $ then anything possible

to me floating stairs looks more appealing attached to only 1 side rather than a center beam like a spine , have to be very soundly structured & some strong steel engineering , no budshit mango tree welders shud be working on dat ....

Johndoe1992
Riding on 13's

Postby Johndoe1992 » August 4th, 2020, 7:52 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:

Johndoe1992
Riding on 13's

Postby Johndoe1992 » August 4th, 2020, 8:08 pm

adnj wrote:
MG Man wrote:

Yup, don't know anyone who can advise on cost and load bearing capacity of the stairs etc . Currently doing house plans and if I Wana build it I can tweak my plans to strengthen the wall right now while I still can but don't have a clue on who can advise . Love the concept , saw the stairs with the center beam , not too much of a fan.

Johndoe1992
Riding on 13's

Postby Johndoe1992 » August 4th, 2020, 8:10 pm

Well yea , if I had the money , would just ship down one built to spec but mauby money and champagne taste ...
Rovin wrote:if u have d $ then anything possible

to me floating stairs looks more appealing attached to only 1 side rather than a center beam like a spine , have to be very soundly structured & some strong steel engineering , no budshit mango tree welders shud be working on dat ....

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » August 4th, 2020, 9:40 pm

I made a funny joke

Why didn't anyone quote it and haha reac?

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 4th, 2020, 9:46 pm

ruffneck_12 wrote:

hahahahahahahaha :p

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 4th, 2020, 9:56 pm

Johndoe1992 wrote:
adnj wrote:
MG Man wrote:

Yup, don't know anyone who can advise on cost and load bearing capacity of the stairs etc . Currently doing house plans and if I Wana build it I can tweak my plans to strengthen the wall right now while I still can but don't have a clue on who can advise . Love the concept , saw the stairs with the center beam , not too much of a fan.
Ordinarily, with an architect you would have had civil, structural and services engineers that would answer those questions.

If you are drawing plans without an architect because of cost, it may be best that you perhaps decide against the floating staircase.

Stairs should be designed to withstand a 1000 lbs static and 300 lbs live load without yield. I have seen some built to less-stringent standards but that does not seem like a safe compromise in my opinion.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » August 4th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Civil engineer here. Send me a pm with details if you interested. You have plan and elevation drawings or at least an idea of the dimensions? I assume you are using reinforced concrete?

ScHoolboySoloQ
Trinituner Peong

Postby ScHoolboySoloQ » August 4th, 2020, 10:21 pm

I was thinking if you break the wall, make some holes, send some steel beams down there and cast it for good foundation then cross some beams to add structural integrity to the frame. From there make the stairs itself with a steel skeleton and cover it with wood then weld the stairs to the frame. You can bend and twist it however to suite the area. Cast the wall back and hide everything.

If you using concrete you can weld the steel skeleton to the frame first then make a boxing and pour your mix.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 4th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Civil engineer here. Send me a pm with details if you interested. You have plan and elevation drawings or at least an idea of the dimensions? I assume you are using reinforced concrete?

not just a pretty face, are ya

ruffneck_12
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby ruffneck_12 » August 4th, 2020, 11:00 pm

MG Man wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:

love you

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 5th, 2020, 2:09 am

MG Man wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Civil engineer here. Send me a pm with details if you interested. You have plan and elevation drawings or at least an idea of the dimensions? I assume you are using reinforced concrete?

Here come the oil and protuberance jokes...

ruffneck_12 wrote:
MG Man wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:

love you

Johndoe gave you some smileys somewhere up there.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » August 5th, 2020, 6:01 am

cadman
Street 2NR

Postby cadman » August 5th, 2020, 7:04 am

Alex
868 473 8017
Call to discuss and for more information.
Knowledgable and Experienced.

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » August 5th, 2020, 7:07 am

ruffneck_12 wrote:
MG Man wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:

love you
Omgosh so cute

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 5th, 2020, 8:16 am

K74T wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:
MG Man wrote:
ruffneck_12 wrote:

love you
Omgosh so cute

that shouldn't come as a surprise

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 5th, 2020, 8:38 am

When I worked in construction so many years ago we used to have meetings in NLBA Architects often. They had renderings and photos of private residences designed by them hung up on the walls. My word the kind of houses Trinidad has!!!

Must be nice to have sheit ton of money.

Johndoe1992
Riding on 13's

Postby Johndoe1992 » August 5th, 2020, 1:43 pm

SR wrote:https://tt.linkedin.com/in/nigel-a-ali-architect-14339645
Link broken...?

Johndoe1992
Riding on 13's

Postby Johndoe1992 » August 5th, 2020, 1:46 pm

ScHoolboySoloQ wrote:I was thinking if you break the wall, make some holes, send some steel beams down there and cast it for good foundation then cross some beams to add structural integrity to the frame. From there make the stairs itself with a steel skeleton and cover it with wood then weld the stairs to the frame. You can bend and twist it however to suite the area. Cast the wall back and hide everything.

If you using concrete you can weld the steel skeleton to the frame first then make a boxing and pour your mix.
Was thinking along the same lines after watching some YouTube videos but not a builder nor designer so definitely can't even come up with an avg cost .
https://youtu.be/eIkSi6yeJSE

Johndoe1992
Riding on 13's

Postby Johndoe1992 » August 5th, 2020, 1:49 pm

cadman wrote:Alex
868 473 8017
Call to discuss and for more information.
Knowledgable and Experienced.
Thanks bro.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » August 19th, 2020, 9:00 am

MG Man wrote:

Nope! I also have very dainty wrists that some women find marginally attractive.

Dizzy28 wrote:

When I worked in construction so many years ago we used to have meetings in NLBA Architects often. They had renderings and photos of private residences designed by them hung up on the walls. My word the kind of houses Trinidad has!!!

Must be nice to have sheit ton of money.
About 8 years ago I designed 24,000 sq.ft. house (floor area not land space eh) in an area where land is very expensive to buy. The house had an indoor swimming pool with male and female toilets. I thought it was a shopping mall at first. I also designed another house that had a bridge over the foyer and etertainment room to get to the master bedroom. Another house I designed had a jacuzzi in the en suite guest bedroom.... the kind of things you see in this business eh! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » August 19th, 2020, 9:05 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
MG Man wrote:

Nope! I also have very dainty wrists that some women find marginally attractive.:

I can't stress enough how much your use of the word 'dainty' turned me on

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”