Forums

Farming Advice

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Newtofarming
Riding on 13's

Farming Advice

Postby Newtofarming » July 21st, 2020, 12:20 pm

So basically I got 2 acres of land in Bejucal Warren road. Access to water but the land is lower than the road.
Never farmed before, since the land is low I was thinking to farm Horse Plantain as it might be easy to do. What I would like to know;
1) Average cost to till and brush cut the land (not too much grass on it right now)
2) What crops I can do ( I wanted to intercrop with dasheen in irrigation and with peppers in-between the rows of plantain)
3) If I do 2 acres of crops, would it be difficult to sell?
4) If it might be an expensive start as I can't get my farmers badge yet what short low maintenance crops can I grow in a low land area? (Last time the land flooded was during the great floods of 2018) other than that their is is farm right next to my own doing crops.

Nexus
3NE 2NR for life

Re: Farming Advice

Postby Nexus » July 21st, 2020, 12:49 pm

Congrats on the land, you have crossed one of the biggest impediments to farming.
Approach this as you would any business, do research. It might be advisable to speak with an agri consultant and spend a bit of money to formulate a proper business plan (A few on FB like Tropical Agriculture consultancy).
You can always liaise with the Ministry's extension services division, your area would be at Farm Rd in Curepe (Public day is wednesdays) where you would get some good advice and can get soil tests done etc...the time element might be a next matter; Namdevco can also advise on the marketing elements.
Fundamental to answering your questions would be how much time and money you have to invest in this, seems as though you looking to 'dip your foot' into this which is good, but it easy with agriculture to get discouraged fast.
I can do the soil mapping and analysis for you, can always PM details of the plot...just a bit busy this week.

Cheers

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » July 21st, 2020, 1:34 pm

Farming advice?

Find a way to plant without thief coming to raid your crops.

Everything else is meaningless unless you can actually solve the real problem which is larceny.

jsali
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jsali » July 21st, 2020, 2:02 pm

Newtofarming wrote:So basically I got 2 acres of land in Bejucal Warren road. Access to water but the land is lower than the road.
Never farmed before, since the land is low I was thinking to farm Horse Plantain as it might be easy to do. What I would like to know;
1) Average cost to till and brush cut the land (not too much grass on it right now)
2) What crops I can do ( I wanted to intercrop with dasheen in irrigation and with peppers in-between the rows of plantain)
3) If I do 2 acres of crops, would it be difficult to sell?
4) If it might be an expensive start as I can't get my farmers badge yet what short low maintenance crops can I grow in a low land area? (Last time the land flooded was during the great floods of 2018) other than that their is is farm right next to my own doing crops.

Consultant: https://www.facebook.com/Food-and-Agric ... 2057740930

The best I know.

Newtofarming
Riding on 13's

Postby Newtofarming » July 21st, 2020, 3:15 pm

Nexus wrote:Congrats on the land, you have crossed one of the biggest impediments to farming.
Approach this as you would any business, do research. It might be advisable to speak with an agri consultant and spend a bit of money to formulate a proper business plan (A few on FB like Tropical Agriculture consultancy).
You can always liaise with the Ministry's extension services division, your area would be at Farm Rd in Curepe (Public day is wednesdays) where you would get some good advice and can get soil tests done etc...the time element might be a next matter; Namdevco can also advise on the marketing elements.
Fundamental to answering your questions would be how much time and money you have to invest in this, seems as though you looking to 'dip your foot' into this which is good, but it easy with agriculture to get discouraged fast.
I can do the soil mapping and analysis for you, can always PM details of the plot...just a bit busy this week.

Cheers

Thank you for the advice will p.m. you.

axe
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby axe » August 30th, 2020, 8:27 am

Call this guy: Ravi Narine +18683942079
Trust me he is perhaps one of the best agricultural consultants, family history of farming, is a farmer, works for the ministry of agriculture... Etc

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » August 30th, 2020, 9:47 am

Nexus wrote:Congrats on the land, you have crossed one of the biggest impediments to farming.

Cheers

X a bazillion
This and the referral to Ravi Narine.....UWI, the Ministry ADB etc are all agencies that are there to support people exactly like you....

Get advice opinions and info from those entities and then see what you want to do...there are many unutilized facilities ....good luck

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”