TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Ranked Choice Voting - Promo Video Added!!!

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Ranked Choice Voting - Promo Video Added!!!

Postby Slartibartfast » July 5th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Facebook video link
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1037076336708818

Hey guys, I'm starting a petition to see what support there is for Ranked Choice Voting in Trinidad and Tobago.

I've already got a group of about 30 people that are looking for something to work on, and I'm seeing if this will be it.

Ranked Choice Voting
Writeup explaining everything in detail with information on our local voting trends.
Questionnaire and Results
Petition (Work in progress. Hoping to do up a promotional vid when I get chance)

Before anyone chimes in,
"Yes I know this looks like failure"
"No, this by itself is not going to make a difference"
"Yes, I am open to suggestions cuz I don't know what I'm doing either"

I'm working on something bigger. This is just the first step. I had more planned but that snap calling of the election threw off a lot of what I wanted to do. It could not have come at a worse time. :( As usual, I always appreciate the support of you guys.

Check out the write-up if you want more information. I took time to lay it all out there. Hit me a pm, if for some crazy reason you actually want to be a part of what I doing.
Last edited by Slartibartfast on July 19th, 2020, 6:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

MG Man
2NRholic

Re: Ranked Choice Voting Petition

Postby MG Man » July 6th, 2020, 8:17 am

I'll definitely sink my teeth into this later when I have some time

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » July 6th, 2020, 8:32 am

I did the survey... nice way of trying to address the dilemna of voting for one of the lesser evils... but idk nah i still believe in the one person one vote mantra

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » July 6th, 2020, 11:59 am

Thanks elec. Btw you still get only one vote. The only difference is that now you don't have to worry about wasting it.

You want to vote the "lesser of two evils" go ahead. But it there an independent party that you actually want to support?

Well with this you can do both. Rank your favorite party #1 and if they don't get through, well your vote goes for the "lesser of two evils" option.

It's just that this way, third parties actually have a chance. We have not had a viable thrid party in 29 years other than COP (which was quickly swallowed up by UNC because it split the votes).

And they were swallowed up so that the votes wouldn't be split. Splitting votes is not an issue with RCV.

win/win

PS Thanks MG

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Re: Ranked Choice Voting

Postby jhonnieblue » July 6th, 2020, 2:13 pm

Interesting, filled out the survey

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » July 6th, 2020, 2:39 pm

Answered!!

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » July 6th, 2020, 4:57 pm

Survey done....just remember..I want a cepep contract ...please an thanks.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 6th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Redman wrote:Survey done....just remember..I want a cepep contract ...please an thanks.
Ask elite he gets PNM contracts

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » July 7th, 2020, 9:26 am

survey done

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 7th, 2020, 9:34 am

All Done

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » July 7th, 2020, 4:51 pm

zoom rader wrote:
Redman wrote:Survey done....just remember..I want a cepep contract ...please an thanks.
Ask elite he gets PNM contracts

Thanks fellas! Keep 'em coming.

Some very interesting results. People look like they will actually welcome this change but that's no surprise when you consider if non-voters had their own political party, they would have won more elections than all other parties combined in the last 30 years.

I would have done a comparison all the way back to independence but some of the election reports on the EBC website are corrupted.

Lucas20
Riding on 13's

Postby Lucas20 » July 7th, 2020, 6:24 pm

Never thought I would've seen a discussion on ranked choice voting for here. Might actually get people to vote for a 3rd party if they don't see it as much of a waste vote anymore. Full support

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » July 10th, 2020, 1:29 pm

Thanks! I just getting tired of things being in a state of constant decline so I've decided that everything I can think of to make things better, I'll just throw it out there and see what resonates.

The hardest thing to get in TnT is early adopters to a new idea. I'm in contact with a group of highly qualified professionals, businessmen, lawyers etc that are willing to listen to my opinion but not really willing to jump out into anything if they don't see much support for it. I'm not vex though, nobody wants to waste their time.

All this to say, signing the petition and filling out the survey and sharing this will actually help because it is being used as part of the data collection on public perception and willingness when I go to present my data and research to these people.

These people I am trying to convince are connected to and can influence some of the ones that have enough power to make a difference.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 10th, 2020, 3:34 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Thanks! I just getting tired of things being in a state of constant decline so I've decided that everything I can think of to make things better, I'll just throw it out there and see what resonates.

The hardest thing to get in TnT is early adopters to a new idea. I'm in contact with a group of highly qualified professionals, businessmen, lawyers etc that are willing to listen to my opinion but not really willing to jump out into anything if they don't see much support for it. I'm not vex though, nobody wants to waste their time.

All this to say, signing the petition and filling out the survey and sharing this will actually help because it is being used as part of the data collection on public perception and willingness when I go to present my data and research to these people.

These people I am trying to convince are connected to and can influence some of the ones that have enough power to make a difference.
1 week of PNM rule and we all feel that way

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » July 13th, 2020, 4:33 pm

zoom rader wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Thanks! I just getting tired of things being in a state of constant decline so I've decided that everything I can think of to make things better, I'll just throw it out there and see what resonates.

1 week of PNM rule and we all feel that way
UNC is complicit in everything the PNM has done in my opinion. If you prefer, you could wait until 2025 to see how nobody gets fined, arrested or jailed for all that went on these past 5 years just like how we had 5 years of PNM blaming UNC for all their alleged corruption but zero investigations started and nobody held accountable. Wouldn't it be very odd if they shared financiers...?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » July 13th, 2020, 4:47 pm

To prove your point, this is exactly what has happened. Repeat cycle. Rinse. Repeat. Our Democracy at work.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Re: Ranked Choice Voting - Promo Video Added!!!

Postby Slartibartfast » July 19th, 2020, 6:55 am

Promo Video Added

Facebook video link

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » July 19th, 2020, 6:58 am

maj. tom wrote:To prove your point, this is exactly what has happened. Repeat cycle. Rinse. Repeat. Our Democracy at work.

I sure I said this as well. When I get chance I'll go through my posts and see.

But I just find it sad how Kamla, after being voted out for alleged rampant corruption is now supposed to be our saving grace and PNM, who STILL accusing Kamls of all this corruption investigated nothing in the past five years.

Now Kalma come with that "black man" talk to distract everybody and keep them fighting along race lines.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 19th, 2020, 7:23 am

Slartibartfast wrote:
maj. tom wrote:To prove your point, this is exactly what has happened. Repeat cycle. Rinse. Repeat. Our Democracy at work.

I sure I said this as well. When I get chance I'll go through my posts and see.

But I just find it sad how Kamla, after being voted out for alleged rampant corruption is now supposed to be our saving grace and PNM, who STILL accusing Kamls of all this corruption investigated nothing in the past five years.

Now Kalma come with that "black man" talk to distract everybody and keep them fighting along race lines.
Best she used the Empty Man

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » July 19th, 2020, 11:47 am

Survey completed.

But that red and yellow video - how come they did not show 2 fronts or 2 rears? Asking for a friend.

Lou Screuz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Lou Screuz » July 19th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:Promo Video Added

Facebook video link

good initiative

pull down the volume on the inception music

raise up the vocals

and project your voice from your chest

not your throat

but it is good to see that youths like you

thinking this way

and doing something about it

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » July 19th, 2020, 7:41 pm

bluefete wrote:Survey completed.

But that red and yellow video - how come they did not show 2 fronts or 2 rears? Asking for a friend.

I was trying to click bait everyone so I had to cover all the bases.

It kinda sad the sort of response this video got on facebook because of that stupid thumbnail. Like 1k views in less than an hour. My vids average less that 100 views total.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » July 19th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Lou Screuz wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:Promo Video Added

Facebook video link

good initiative

pull down the volume on the inception music

raise up the vocals

and project your voice from your chest

not your throat

but it is good to see that youths like you

thinking this way

and doing something about it

Yeah.... I mixed this on a laptop so it sounded good on laptop speakers. By the time I played it from my phone I realised the mistake but was too tired to change it. I think the last bit after the graph animations is the worst.

But thanks for the support!

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 22nd, 2020, 9:19 am

Slartibartfast wrote:But thanks for the support!

bump. check this out. London, Ontario implemented.
https://www.london.ca/city-hall/elections/ranked-choice-voting/Pages/What-is-Ranked-Choice-Voting.aspx

Nice .pdf presentations on that page too.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » September 22nd, 2020, 9:59 am

yep - why not?

We have to evolve to a more dynamic democracy- and technology today enables that.

Referendums are easy to implement and thereby we can/need to get to the point where the actions/policies implemented are based on direct feedback from the population- laws can also be modified and updated based on same.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 22nd, 2020, 11:36 am

maj. tom wrote:
Slartibartfast wrote:But thanks for the support!

bump. check this out. London, Ontario implemented.
https://www.london.ca/city-hall/elections/ranked-choice-voting/Pages/What-is-Ranked-Choice-Voting.aspx

Nice .pdf presentations on that page too.

i didnt understand it from the video, of how the system works when u eliminated the lowest ranks... but from that flow chart i got it. u keep on eliminating the lowest candidate, putting those second choice votes toward the remaining candidates, until u get a 50%?

i was thinking it operated as if: no one got a clear 50%, that they will then look at the second choice votes, so that who got teh majority of the second choice will take the lead. but that still would have resulted in a minority winner... i just wasnt catching it.
Last edited by sMASH on September 22nd, 2020, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 22nd, 2020, 12:01 pm

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » September 22nd, 2020, 12:30 pm

A disadvantage is that it's confusing to the average voter. It will be difficult for the Elections Authority to educate the public on how to use the ballots correctly and not spoil them. Y number of candidates usually means Y number of ranked choices. So would a ballot paper like this actually disenfranchise voters who don't have higher education to understand this process? A person who cannot read or write still must have the right to vote and choose their candidates. And let's not forget “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

A second disadvantage is that without electronic/computer voting (a whole different level of voting reform laws), counting these ballots by hand will be prone to a lot of human error. For example, round 2 should ONLY consider 2nd choice, but a human can make the mistake in counting and consider Choice 3 or Choice 1 within the 2nd round. Then there needs to be an Elections Officer who is trained with some level of statistics who must compile the results for each seat as well as have a computer system with the dedicated software that's untamperable in place to tally the results properly. Really complicated compared to the traditional ballot counting.

So it's no wonder that "First Past the Post" has been in place for centuries in various countries without change.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » September 23rd, 2020, 5:04 pm

Hey sMASH, can you provide feedback on what wasn't clear in the video?

Thanks for the bump maj.tom and you are correct in your assessment of the hurdles in front of this sort of reform. But, there are way more hurdles under the surface that I was not aware of when I started this. I threw a lot of effort behind this (got stabbed in the back a few times) but learned a lot about why change is so difficult to come by in this country, but that's a next convo there. I'm still recovering from the burnout I experienced trying to push for this. Haven't had the energy to do anymore podcasts or videos since. All I could say is that there is a lot of hurt below the surface and a lot more people looking to profit off of it than make it better. Anybody trying to make this country better in whatever way has my full support and respect.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 23rd, 2020, 5:47 pm

is three years now i hearing bout RCV and never understood the mechanics. its only now i got it. coudl be just me.
first time i saw it was with this vid. and was seeing other explanations, but didnt get it still. this vid is the same as urs, just with more detail for explanation.

what i didnt understand, is how they taking the votes from one candidate and allotting it to another.

what the flow chart detailed that no other explanation did, was that when the lowest performing candidate gets eliminated, their ballots will have the 2ND choice on the ballots considered, and the second choices will be added to the respective candidates.

the explanations kept saying that 'their votes would be sent to the other candidates', and it seemed that u split all the votes towards all the other candidates. it did not say that ' in that instance, the second choices of those voters, will have those ballots allotted to the candidates as second choices.

bear in mind, its not that important to explain it that detailed to the majority of voters, as the amount of words will make it sound confusing and u will lose support.
the important selling point is that a voter, can vote for the person they feel is the best. and if that person doesnt win, ur ballot is not wasted, cause u can chose ur next best bet, cause u have a second choice on the ballot.

but really, u will be ranking all the candidates according from ur fist pick to ur last pick.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”