Forums

Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Re: Businesses that closed down in Trinidad & Tobago due to Covid-19 lockdown

Postby Ben_spanna » October 16th, 2020, 8:47 am

So how exactly does reduced working hours at customs help avoid the spread of covid? customs has been on a rotation but at the same time they have been only clearing less than 50% of what they normally would do, and they are working shorter hours..... does this really make sense or are they using this as an excuse to put in even less actual work?

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 16th, 2020, 5:55 pm

Ben_spanna wrote:So how exactly does reduced working hours at customs help avoid the spread of covid? customs has been on a rotation but at the same time they have been only clearing less than 50% of what they normally would do, and they are working shorter hours..... does this really make sense or are they using this as an excuse to put in even less actual work?

And my extension this can be applied to ANY business in Trinidad .

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 20th, 2020, 9:30 am

Halley Restaurant in Shoppes of Trinity is closed .

Blue Star Restaurant in Maraval is closed .

https://www.guardian.co.tt/news/restaur ... 8b2ede8b31

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 20th, 2020, 11:51 am

Watch Rahael, Sabga and Massy acquire all the country's malls, public utilities, and industrial/commercial factories and suppliers.

Wonder why the government and certain landlords have an incentive to making things hard?

Kewell35
Riding on 16's

Postby Kewell35 » October 20th, 2020, 12:25 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:Watch Rahael, Sabga and Massy acquire all the country's malls, public utilities, and industrial/commercial factories and suppliers.

Wonder why the government and certain landlords have an incentive to making things hard?

Aren't they losing a lot of money though?

regone
Street 2NR

Postby regone » October 20th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:Watch Rahael, Sabga and Massy acquire all the country's malls, public utilities, and industrial/commercial factories and suppliers.

Massy is actually going back to their core businesses thats why MTI and massy comms were sold and more to come. So i highly doubt they would be acquiring malls, keep your eye on massy properties they might be next....

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 20th, 2020, 1:16 pm

Remember the usual crowds of people can't be in the same place at the same time.this is what is affecting production and shipping and factories all over the world.

While usually you could have 30 people in a area working side by side....now you should only have 5. So everything is much slower. This also leads to major quality control issues in factories
Ben_spanna wrote:So how exactly does reduced working hours at customs help avoid the spread of covid? customs has been on a rotation but at the same time they have been only clearing less than 50% of what they normally would do, and they are working shorter hours..... does this really make sense or are they using this as an excuse to put in even less actual work?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 20th, 2020, 4:18 pm

i hear Standards gonna close 5 of their stores.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 20th, 2020, 5:18 pm

Kewell35 wrote:

Aren't they losing a lot of money though?

Yes but some can easily afford to lose and then use what they have to get businesses and properties at discount rates.

regone wrote:
Massy is actually going back to their core businesses thats why MTI and massy comms were sold and more to come. So i highly doubt they would be acquiring malls, keep your eye on massy properties they might be next....

Yes, that's correct, Massy is both stream lining and I believe they are also exploring different lines of business.

Rahael is looking at acquiring malls.

But looks let's face reality, it's not just them looking to acquire cheap businesses, those with liquidity will be looking at this as a golden opportunity.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 20th, 2020, 5:20 pm

sMASH wrote:i hear Standards gonna close 5 of their stores.

How much stores them have? Can't be much more than 5 because I am regularly all over Trinidad and I know only GB, St James, Arima, probably one in south I guess......maybe one in Tobago i think.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » October 20th, 2020, 5:22 pm

The 1% is always a step ahead.

Always.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » October 20th, 2020, 5:51 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:

How much stores them have? Can't be much more than 5 because I am regularly all over Trinidad and I know only GB, St James, Arima, probably one in south I guess......maybe one in Tobago i think.

it have one in the crossie in san juan and one in mt hope opposite the new food basket, idk if the one in queen street still around. it had one in princes town

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » October 20th, 2020, 5:53 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:Remember the usual crowds of people can't be in the same place at the same time.this is what is affecting production and shipping and factories all over the world.

While usually you could have 30 people in a area working side by side....now you should only have 5. So everything is much slower. This also leads to major quality control issues in factories

this is exactly why I don't understand reduced work hours. If anything, you'd need more work hours to handle the exact same demand.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » October 20th, 2020, 5:57 pm

screwbash wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

it have one in the crossie in san juan and one in mt hope opposite the new food basket, idk if the one in queen street still around. it had one in princes town

probably plenty property tax for stores that barely have any foot traffic anymore.

Unicomer (Courts) probably killing them these days with cheaper goods, higher purchase and ready finance. Unicomer coulda keep Errol Fabien around and employed. Man almost lost his house recently.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 20th, 2020, 6:03 pm

sando have two, ptown have one. tobago have, and i know of two warehouses, sealots and on the highway past chag.

the workers is one set of people, but what bout the techs, the drivers, lorrymen, maintenance for the building, like ac, electrical, plumbing, decorators etc... it will have more people with less work after.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » October 20th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Pennywise Plaza in Chaguanas has a Standards as well
screwbash wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 20th, 2020, 6:57 pm

Dizzy28 wrote:Pennywise Plaza in Chaguanas has a Standards as well
screwbash wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

Just 2 weeks ago i went into standards st.james to try to get a computer desk. The staff completely ignored me or prenteded they had other things to do so i left. They clearly don't want my money. The irony is that these same staff wondering how on earth standards closing down. I feel no pity for them

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 20th, 2020, 7:00 pm

i got regular attention at the sando branches and ptown. i jess find their pricing not all that.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » October 20th, 2020, 7:26 pm

they have 8 branches currently

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 20th, 2020, 8:43 pm

i hear about this from a worker... hopefully, is just them exaggerating with their bacchanal mentality.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » October 20th, 2020, 8:49 pm

sMASH wrote:i hear about this from a worker... hopefully, is just them exaggerating with their bacchanal mentality.

Standards is ANSA.. deep pockets and plenty access for forex (ANSA Merchant bank gets forex directly from the central bank). They probably not going anywhere.

:drinking:

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 20th, 2020, 8:59 pm

ANSA also bought out Bank of Baroda and Berger last year. Maybe they need to reign in other aspects of their business to ensure that these businesses produce the returns they envisaged. Also, i highly doubt ANSA receives foreign exchange with no strings attached (that is no collateral placed down). So its not as rosy as u think. Also, as car sales have gone down significantly according to industry heads it is not farfetched to believw that there automotive, insurance and lending arms also feeling the pinch

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » October 20th, 2020, 9:14 pm

elec2020 wrote:ANSA also bought out Bank of Baroda and Berger last year. Maybe they need to reign in other aspects of their business to ensure that these businesses produce the returns they envisaged. Also, i highly doubt ANSA receives foreign exchange with no strings attached (that is no collateral placed down). So its not as rosy as u think. Also, as car sales have gone down significantly according to industry heads it is not farfetched to believw that there automotive, insurance and lending arms also feeling the pinch

Everybody feeling the pinch, but certain groups in a position to deal with it better than others. In this budget alone, the gov't knock down used car dealers and say them using too much forex. No talk about ANSA or new car sales.

You think things happening by accident in this country? fair play and good will reign on this twin island republic.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 20th, 2020, 9:18 pm

8 branches alone and all that advertising?

They may consolidate a few and push online shopping with delivery from the warehouses.
Courts making a mess with theur online shopping, so they could corner the market on that.

All courts need to do is to put bar codes on individual items. And let scanners update the inventory and location automagically. When some item is clicked as bought, it selects and actual infmduvidual item. Cause theur inventory people is useless.

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 20th, 2020, 11:02 pm

paid_influencer wrote:
elec2020 wrote:ANSA also bought out Bank of Baroda and Berger last year. Maybe they need to reign in other aspects of their business to ensure that these businesses produce the returns they envisaged. Also, i highly doubt ANSA receives foreign exchange with no strings attached (that is no collateral placed down). So its not as rosy as u think. Also, as car sales have gone down significantly according to industry heads it is not farfetched to believw that there automotive, insurance and lending arms also feeling the pinch

Everybody feeling the pinch, but certain groups in a position to deal with it better than others. In this budget alone, the gov't knock down used car dealers and say them using too much forex. No talk about ANSA or new car sales.

You think things happening by accident in this country? fair play and good will reign on this twin island republic.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/trinidadex ... f.amp.html

New car sales were down in june. I am sure theybwill be down again for september and the forseeable future. Also does the removal of tax breaks apply solely to foreign used cars? I'm not sure as the pm stated removal of tac breaks on vehicles imported for private use. Isn't that what delearships do? So if the tax break does in fact impact them then the loss in car sales will continue for the forseeanle future

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » October 21st, 2020, 2:13 am

elec2020 wrote:
paid_influencer wrote:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/trinidadex ... f.amp.html

New car sales were down in june. I am sure theybwill be down again for september and the forseeable future. Also does the removal of tax breaks apply solely to foreign used cars? I'm not sure as the pm stated removal of tac breaks on vehicles imported for private use. Isn't that what delearships do? So if the tax break does in fact impact them then the loss in car sales will continue for the forseeanle future

Logic and economics on track :D

It's a business cycle down turn that will exist for a while.

The solution is to stimulate the economy .

T&T shrinking middle class paying too much tax .

The exemption should of been $100K not $84K

You targeting the wrong peeps .

The confidence is NOT there for investment .

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 21st, 2020, 9:08 am

^ its always the middle class that suffering. That said it is generally accepted that consumer cinfidence is very low and when that happens individuals are more likely to prioritis precauyionary saving than consumption. Its up to the government to revitalise consumer confidence. But the fiscal space to do so is not available

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » October 23rd, 2020, 11:42 am

50 gone @ CCN

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 23rd, 2020, 11:45 am

dogg wrote:50 gone @ CCN
Good, they all supported the red Goverment.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » October 23rd, 2020, 11:48 am

zoom rader wrote:
dogg wrote:50 gone @ CCN
Good, they all supported the red Goverment.

Rowley and Imbert says otherwise though.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”