TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The 2020 General Election Thread (AUGUST 10TH)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Who will you be voting for on Aug 10th

Poll ended at August 9th, 2020, 11:04 pm

PNM
22%
UNC
59%
COP
2%
PEP
13%
NNV
No votes
MSJ
No votes
NDP
No votes
PDP
No votes
Independent
4%

Total votes: 127

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Re: The 2020 General Election Thread (AUGUST 10TH)

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » July 5th, 2020, 4:38 pm

bluefete wrote:
eliteauto wrote:Seems like the following for the UNC
Vandana Mohit- Chaguanas East
Anita Haynes- Tabaquite
Khadijah Ameen- St. Augustine

Is that all for now?

Fazal was a good one though....oh well

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » July 5th, 2020, 4:44 pm

I'm confused by this if your net income drops so does your taxes.
bluefete wrote:Image

My income for the year has dropped significantly. Where does he expects me to get money to pay taxes?

I heard the Finance Minister tell businesses to pay their 2020, 1/4ly taxes based on last year's earnings. He has to be a special kind of dotish.

TOTALLY BEREFT OF IDEAS!!!!!

https://nomadcapitalist.com/2018/11/22/ ... ncome-tax/

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » July 5th, 2020, 4:45 pm

boxy wrote:I'm confused by this if your net income drops so does your taxes.

property tax is not based on net income.

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » July 5th, 2020, 4:51 pm

It is also not based currently on anything. Currently the formula used is from over 50 years ago Some people with sprawling mansions pay $200 someone with a vacant lot pays $57.50 I fail to see where you are going with this?
paid_influencer wrote:
boxy wrote:I'm confused by this if your net income drops so does your taxes.

property tax is not based on net income.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 5th, 2020, 4:53 pm

I don't mind paying taxes, but I need to my taxes working for me.

House tax will not improve my standard of living or make things easier for better services.

It will squandered away, given away and citizens will end up with less service than before.

No to house tax.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » July 5th, 2020, 4:54 pm

UNC candidate for Couva North - Ravi Ratiram

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » July 5th, 2020, 5:00 pm

House tax goes towards the sanitation services budgets (garbage trucks, cepep,) Police, fire and government school budgets in your area. This was thoroughly discussed years ago. In a separate thread.
zoom rader wrote:I don't mind paying taxes, but I need to my taxes working for me.

House tax will not improve my standard of living or make things easier for better services.

It will squandered away, given away and citizens will end up with less service than before.

No to house tax.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » July 5th, 2020, 5:03 pm

boxy wrote:House tax goes towards the sanitation services budgets (garbage trucks, cepep,) Police, fire and government school budgets in your area. This was thoroughly discussed years ago. In a separate thread.

how are we able to pay for those things without property tax?

by the way, they pass by you yet?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 5th, 2020, 5:17 pm

boxy wrote:House tax goes towards the sanitation services budgets (garbage trucks, cepep,) Police, fire and government school budgets in your area. This was thoroughly discussed years ago. In a separate thread.
zoom rader wrote:I don't mind paying taxes, but I need to my taxes working for me.

No to house tax.
What sanitation service?

I still have to pay the council to clean my cesspit.

I paid income taxes for donkeys, that money is used for these so called services.

House tax is rip off

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » July 5th, 2020, 5:18 pm

paid_influencer wrote:

So what income taxes for?

House tax is sham and ripp off

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » July 5th, 2020, 5:59 pm

You know that covid 19 grant people keep claiming they waiting for?
Disaster assistance
Infrastructure repairs/building
Public servants salaries (when Duke demands more pay for workers where you think the money originates?)
Subsidies for buses/trips to Tobago via air and ocean
Health care
GATE
I Think you are already aware of this but regardless if Kams returns to power I'm certain that tax cut promise will only become a thing when its her final year in office just like every other political party who make these weird pie in the sky promises.
zoom rader wrote:
paid_influencer wrote:

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 5th, 2020, 6:16 pm

So UNC say if we win we will rape allyuh less and the PNM say if we win we definitely raping allyuh more.

Better try your luck on getting less rape for now...
boxy wrote:You know that covid 19 grant people keep claiming they waiting for?
Disaster assistance
Infrastructure repairs/building
Public servants salaries (when Duke demands more pay for workers where you think the money originates?)
Subsidies for buses/trips to Tobago via air and ocean
Health care
GATE
I Think you are already aware of this but regardless if Kams returns to power I'm certain that tax cut promise will only become a thing when its her final year in office just like every other political party who make these weird pie in the sky promises.
zoom rader wrote:
paid_influencer wrote:

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » July 5th, 2020, 6:16 pm

^ you left out VAT refunds. Where would the money to pay VAT refunds come from? :drinking:

as far as I can see, taxes disappear into the consolidated fund and doesn't come back. It goes to fund all manner of waste and corruption. Imagine businesses abiding by the VAT system and paying in but the Ministry of Finance itself is breaking the rules to keep those same funds for years now.

boxy, also answer my question. they pass by you yet to check out how much to tax you on your house?
Last edited by paid_influencer on July 5th, 2020, 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » July 5th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Nope they never came I actually went in about 4 years ago to pay it as It was mandatory to get a mortgage a year later returned and was told that they are no longer accepting payments till they revamp cost was $82 btw

paid_influencer wrote:^ you left out VAT refunds. Where would the money to pay VAT refunds come from? :drinking:

as far as I can see, taxes disappear into the consolidated fund and doesn't come back. It goes to fund all manner of waste and corruption. Imagine businesses abiding by the VAT system and paying in but the Ministry of Finance itself is breaking the rules to keep those same funds for years now.

boxy, also answer my question. they pass by you yet to check out how much to tax you on your house?

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » July 5th, 2020, 6:36 pm

boxy wrote:Nope they never came I actually went in about 4 years ago to pay it as It was mandatory to get a mortgage a year later returned and was told that they are no longer accepting payments till they revamp cost was $82 btw

good to see your tax dollars at work, yes? :drinking:

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » July 5th, 2020, 6:40 pm

Well I have no issue paying more as I am fully aware the consequence of the sanitation trucks not passing when they should. And if a Bush fire happens next to the empty lot the fire service has the proper equipment and personnel to respond to my call.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » July 5th, 2020, 6:46 pm

boxy wrote:Well I have no issue paying more as I am fully aware the consequence of the sanitation trucks not passing when they should. And if a Bush fire happens next to the empty lot the fire service has the proper equipment and personnel to respond to my call.

indeed, you need to pay more for the same services you get now.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » July 5th, 2020, 6:46 pm

elec2020 wrote:
The_Honourable wrote:Nah PDP only fighting the Tobago seats and also THA elections 2021. If successful, then they will come Trinidad for LE 2022/23 and GE 2025.

Thanks for the info... i think PDP have a good chance of winning bago elections... what has shamfa and webster-roy done of note to the tobago people... dismantle the seabridge... produced a boyched budget (PDP well lay into them on the discrepancies and lack of vision in their recent budget)... and no self governance... i think bago lookimg iffy this rounds... even nailed on PNM areas looking iffy... some residents claim no justice no vote... we dont want hampers we want jobs... so this elections here may be very interesting

Agreed, high chance PDP will be going to Duke. The APT James fast ferry might come just in time to mamaguy tobagonians but I doubt it.

Let's see how POS South, Laventille West and Laventille East/Morvart votes. PNM might still take it but the turnout would be low. If UNC wins one of those seats, that will be a major upset.

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » July 5th, 2020, 6:55 pm

paid_influencer wrote:
boxy wrote:Well I have no issue paying more as I am fully aware the consequence of the sanitation trucks not passing when they should. And if a Bush fire happens next to the empty lot the fire service has the proper equipment and personnel to respond to my call.

indeed, you need to pay more for the same services you get now.

Hmm good point
We pay more now for the same doubles we use to get then
We pay more for the same internet/cable services we use to get then
We pay more now for the same kfc we eating then
We pay more now for the same maxi ride we took then
We pay more now for the same all inclusive fete we went then
We pay more now for the same construction labor we had then

I wonder if there is a term for that?

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » July 5th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Nacta: UNC 'safe seat' nominees could determine election

POLLSTERS North American Caribbean Teachers Association (Nacta) said the choice of candidates by the United National Congress (UNC) for their "safe" constituencies could influence the outcome of the August 10 general election.

Nacta, in a release, said this information was from an ongoing tracking poll the group has been doing.

"Whereas, previously, marginal seats determined the outcome of an election, in this election, nominees in seats bordering marginals could influence the latter’s outcome."

Nacta said the UNC has selected candidates in seven marginals, one safe seat, and challengers for all People's National Movement (PNM) safe seats, while the PNM has completed selection of candidates in the 41 seats. The UNC was scheduled to nominate candidates in remaining 16 safe seats on Sunday.

"Voters say that the contest appears to be a battle of youth and inexperience against seasoned, skillful, and well-known (or accomplished) politicians. Voters note that the PNM is going into the election with mostly veterans – some 70 per cent who are being returned or have national profile. The UNC is going into the election with over 70 per cent fresh faces."

Nacta said the findings of ongoing polls revealed that voters were not very pleased with either party’s candidates in all of the marginals that would determine the outcome of the elections.

"Voters tell the poll interviewers that quite a few candidates in marginals are a complete turn off and many say they would not vote. Some nominees have national profiles while most are barely known outside of friends and families. Some are well liked while others have low approval numbers."

Nacta reported that overall voters say PNM has more recognised or high-profile candidates than the Opposition.

"But readers are cautioned that (being a) candidate (with a national profile) doesn’t necessarily mean they would win seats. For example, three high-profile candidates have low approvals. Only one of seven nominees for marginals in the Opposition has a national profile and has received widespread approval among voters not only in the constituency being contested but nationally as well. On the ruling side, all but one of seven nominees have national profiles although three have been given low approval numbers and are considered very unpopular by their constituents and would experience close contests."

Nacta said the PNM candidate in Tunapuna, Esmond Forde, (also the incumbent) has the highest likeable rating among those vying to win the seven marginals. His challenger from the UNC, former national footballer David Nakhid, also has high likeable ratings and resonance with voters. Jearlean John, who is vying for La Horquetta/Talparo, has the highest likeable ratings among the opposition candidates in the seven marginals.

"The race could very well be determined by the selection of candidates in the UNC’s strongholds (safe seats) bordering the marginals. Since the UNC candidates are not well known, voters feel eminent nominees in bordering seats could give a boost in the marginals."

Nacta pointed out that the PNM has high-profile candidates in almost all safe seats, with some having celebrity status.

"The selection of Penny Beckles (Arima), Brian Manning (San Fernando East), Keith Scotland (Port of Spain South), Jason Williams (San Juan / Barataria), among others, receive near unanimous approval from the party’s base. Voters say their selection would boost the PNM’s prospect in the marginals. Similar selection of nominees in UNC safe seats could put the PNM against the wall."

Nacta said voters endorse the idea of fresh faces in the electoral lineup and give "a thumbs up" to UNC political leader Kamla Persad-Bissessar for taking this direction.

"But they say they would like to see in the line up a mixture of veterans (incumbents) and fresh faces of high-profile nominees of integrity and who have a proven track record of accomplishments. It is noted that the country is at a dangerous time in its development. The party that wins the election will not have an easy time in government and any opposition would need strong voices in its front bench. Thus, voters are unambiguous that fresh faces alone without competence won't cut (it).

"It is, therefore, important that (all) parties put forward candidates that the population believe have the competence to govern. Voters want candidates who are likeable, honest, and trustworthy and who have professional and national profile. Short of those requirements, turnout would be very low."

Source: https://newsday.co.tt/2020/07/05/nacta- ... e-election

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » July 5th, 2020, 8:02 pm

PEP on cnc3 now
they big in the dance

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » July 5th, 2020, 8:08 pm

pugboy wrote:PEP on cnc3 now
they big in the dance

the best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The next best time is now.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » July 5th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Gary Aboud supporting PEP

"it cannot be an evil thing to change from a proven entity that has a track record of raiding the treasury"

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » July 5th, 2020, 9:40 pm

Heard from a good source the exchange rate going from 6.9 to $10 TT for 1 US in September.

And also serious serious hard times coming no matter who win, nothing will be able to save us.

Apparently Covid and the effects it has had on the world is way more serious than it looks, I think it is better the PNM wins so they go look bad. UNC really eh want no part of this hard times coming, they might never win another election if they win this cause all ah them subsidy has to cut

They may end up getting rid of GATE completely is what I suspect.

Syrian using up all the foreign exchange and Trinis keep buying useless imported sh!t over local alternatives.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » July 5th, 2020, 9:42 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Heard from a good source the exchange rate going from 6.9 to $10 TT for 1 US in September.

And also serious serious hard times coming no matter who win, nothing will be able to save us.

Apparently Covid and the effects it has had on the world is way more serious than it looks, I think it is better the PNM wins so they go look bad. UNC really eh want no part of this hard times coming, they might never win another election if they win this cause all ah them subsidy has to cut

They may end up getting rid of GATE completely is what I suspect.

Syrian using up all the foreign exchange and Trinis keep buying useless imported sh!t over local alternatives.

Only 6.9? It's practically that right now

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » July 5th, 2020, 9:51 pm

^ if Rowley win this election it means that Rowley is the only person capable of saving Trinidad.

The general public has to have REAL confidence in him to vote for him again after ALL the madness that has took place with job losses etc.

The general consensus is if Kamla win she will borrow money and spend like crazy and we will not be able to pay it back turning is eventually into zimbabwe. It will be 5 perfect years and then total annihilation of Trinidad where as Rowley saved Trinidad from the IMF.

This isn't my opinion eh pappi, I just saying what the general public believes and what the word on the ground is in with swing voters that I have spoken with.

As for my opinion love him or hate him, Rowley did save this country from the IMF and he did also save this country from COVID. There is noway in hell people are going to not notice this

Also a lot of people complained when he canceled GATE in private institutions, however what a lot of people don't know is that we were paying for degrees that had little to no value whatsoever. Tertiary education in Trinidad was starting to become like the US with a lot of For Profit Scam taking place. The people who will swing the election are the ones who believed that Rowley did the right move with regards to GATE and private institutions.

I honestly think that we have more graduates than we have job placements, what Trinidad needs is jobs and a way to grow foreign exchange.

But it is time to prepare we bamcee for it going to get boll hard come 2021. Kiss every subsidy goodby, it is just a shame that syrians will continue to use up whatever foreign exchange there is to import more vehicles and Trinis will continue to buy new vehicles eliminating whatever little reserve we have left. We have a very American consumerism attitude we are very selfish and is all about me me me looking better than harrylal.

Soon we won't be able to import food

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » July 5th, 2020, 10:05 pm

Yea I voting Rowley I want devaluation, I make most of my earnings in USD, CAD and GPB.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » July 5th, 2020, 10:28 pm

Keith has my vote

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » July 5th, 2020, 10:29 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:^ if Rowley win this election it means that Rowley is the only person capable of saving Trinidad.

The general public has to have REAL confidence in him to vote for him again after ALL the madness that has took place with job losses etc.

The general consensus is if Kamla win she will borrow money and spend like crazy and we will not be able to pay it back turning is eventually into zimbabwe. It will be 5 perfect years and then total annihilation of Trinidad where as Rowley saved Trinidad from the IMF.

This isn't my opinion eh pappi, I just saying what the general public believes and what the word on the ground is in with swing voters that I have spoken with.

As for my opinion love him or hate him, Rowley did save this country from the IMF and he did also save this country from COVID. There is noway in hell people are going to not notice this

Also a lot of people complained when he canceled GATE in private institutions, however what a lot of people don't know is that we were paying for degrees that had little to no value whatsoever. Tertiary education in Trinidad was starting to become like the US with a lot of For Profit Scam taking place. The people who will swing the election are the ones who believed that Rowley did the right move with regards to GATE and private institutions.

I honestly think that we have more graduates than we have job placements, what Trinidad needs is jobs and a way to grow foreign exchange.

But it is time to prepare we bamcee for it going to get boll hard come 2021. Kiss every subsidy goodby, it is just a shame that syrians will continue to use up whatever foreign exchange there is to import more vehicles and Trinis will continue to buy new vehicles eliminating whatever little reserve we have left. We have a very American consumerism attitude we are very selfish and is all about me me me looking better than harrylal.

Soon we won't be able to import food

All this "saving the country from the IMF talk" doesn't the IMF lend money with tight controls to ensure that it isn't used corruptly and is used with accountability. I guess borrowing from the Chinese is the better option since Rowley and he gang can thief out half and nobody gives a chit... except for we great great grand children that have to repay it one day to come.

As for saving the country from COVID.... are people's brains made out of dirt. COVID is still out there 1000% more than in March. We in the middle of COVID and at any time we can have a resurgence in Trinidad. If COVID was all over and we didn't take a hard hit then okay, but there is no accomplishment. We hid from COVID in its early stages and now come back out when it have 10 million people with it all over the world. We are just sitting ducks.... unless a vaccine comes out soon.

Also some people fail to see the backdoor election campaign the PNM executed and capitalized on COVID to do so:
1. Empty the HSF
2. Give free money to Tobago to buy votes
3. Give free money to Churches to buy votes
4. Inflate medical and COVID related costs
5. Shut down UNC financiers businesses to squeeze them out
6. Give free money to "creatives" to buy votes
7. Selectively open the border for those that they need to come back
8. Try to use COVID hampers and grants to buy votes

Oh and what about Delcy and PDVSA and that tanker load of crap.... your 7 day memory forget about all that already.

If PNM regains power, their bankrupt ideas and sufferation policy will further contribute to the downward spiral of the last 5 years. Spending Billions with nothing to show but a couple vanity projects. Imagine now putting a committee in place for dealing with the social problems of Beetham and Lavantille when you only have one month before election.... please

Thanks to them Beetham and Sea Lots people yes... if they didn't do what they did election would have never been called. The UNC on the other hand is no perfect solution. But changing out those mofos every 5 years and not leaving any of them in power for two consecutive terms to get fat, comfortable and even more arrogant is what gets my vote!!!

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » July 5th, 2020, 10:31 pm

but we've heard devaluation talk on this forum since 2015

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=643610&

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”