Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Baigan pie recipe

Postby De Dragon » May 16th, 2020, 11:26 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
dogg wrote:No the pies.

I think baiganee is the one where baigan slices are fried with the grind dhal paste on both sides.

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
dogg wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
dogg wrote:I cant find any online. The baigan filling specifically, any idea how its made?

You tried searching for recipes with eggplant, melongene, brinjal, aubergine?
it has lots of names

No I didn't. I was looking for the type that doubles vendors sell. I didn't think that would be so difficult to find!

I guess I'll have to wing it!

You mean Baiganee?

You've wasted a thought, that is kachoorie

No fella, kachorie has no baigan in it, just grind dhal+channa.

Some doubles/pie people put baigan in theirs. I hate them either way

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 17th, 2020, 6:53 am

De Dragon wrote:

I think baiganee is the one where baigan slices are fried with the grind dhal paste on both sides.

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
dogg wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
dogg wrote:I cant find any online. The baigan filling specifically, any idea how its made?

it has lots of names

No I didn't. I was looking for the type that doubles vendors sell. I didn't think that would be so difficult to find!

You mean Baiganee?

Sorry but you're clueless.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 17th, 2020, 6:57 am

I ended up cutting the baigan in small slices then steaming them for a few minutes with some salt and mild seasoning. The pies came out well enough. Made some pommecythere chutney to go with it. 100% would do again.

I have to say I'm a somewhat surprised at the confusion surrounding these baigan pies. Some ppl didn't even know about it.

And guy above^ was convinced a baiganee was secretly a kachoorie

K74T
TunerGod

Postby K74T » May 17th, 2020, 8:16 am

Any pics?

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » May 17th, 2020, 1:45 pm

I still think OP mistaking a heavily battered baiganee for a baigan pie- but either way at least he finally got through with the recipe to some degree

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » May 17th, 2020, 2:10 pm

only real place i see this is in san juan. debe version is sheit and i doh really see baiganee anywhere else. the lady selling by el socorro junction on the hiway have the baiganee where the baigan is steamed and seasoned and put in the flour mixture similar to an aloo pie. the guy in aranguez next to liquor palace bar had the grind channa and dhal mixture with the slice of baigan in d middle and not to far from he has another guy using the saheena mixture of dhal, channa and dasheen bush bhagi with the slice of baigan in the middle. the 3rd guy baiganee does lash and better than the other two with the woman by el socorro hiway coming in second.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 17th, 2020, 2:13 pm

SMc wrote:I still think OP mistaking a heavily battered baiganee for a baigan pie- but either way at least he finally got through with the recipe to some degree

No.

Baigan pie - similar to aloo pie but with baigan stuffing.
Baiganee - battered (katchoorie paste) and fried slices of baigan

Check a neighbourhood doubles or pie man and try one. Its not spectacular, just an alternative to your typical aloo pie.

I still can't believe baigan pies are so foreign sounding to some of you.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 17th, 2020, 2:14 pm

K74T wrote:Any pics?

nah man sorry, I didn't take pix.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 17th, 2020, 2:17 pm

screwbash wrote:only real place i see this is in san juan. debe version is sheit and i doh really see baiganee anywhere else. the lady selling by el socorro junction on the hiway have the baiganee where the baigan is steamed and seasoned and put in the flour mixture similar to an aloo pie. the guy in aranguez next to liquor palace bar had the grind channa and dhal mixture with the slice of baigan in d middle and not to far from he has another guy using the saheena mixture of dhal, channa and dasheen bush bhagi with the slice of baigan in the middle. the 3rd guy baiganee does lash and better than the other two with the woman by el socorro hiway coming in second.

Its not hard to come by.
As you say, lots of vendors in San Juan environs have them. Also by Maritime gas station in Barataria.
Tunapuna market has a couple ppl selling it.

The fella around the corner from Aranguez Savannah (close to the main road) had some good ones. I'm not sure if he's still selling there.

supercharged turbo
punchin NOS

Postby supercharged turbo » May 17th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Gladiator wrote:This is what I call Bhaigan pie ... LOL

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 17th, 2020, 4:02 pm

dogg wrote:

So you didn't make enough to freeze? I was curious to see the recipe and the results

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 17th, 2020, 4:19 pm

eliteauto wrote:
dogg wrote:

So you didn't make enough to freeze? I was curious to see the recipe and the results

I did, they're in the freezer, but they look like normal aloo pies. I can take pix of that if you want...

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » May 17th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Its called Ratatouille ... tastes quite good actually.

supercharged turbo wrote:
Gladiator wrote:This is what I call Bhaigan pie ... LOL

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 17th, 2020, 9:38 pm

I don't think ratatouille really looks like that.
It's a vegetable stew. Similar to our "fry baigan and aloo", except with many colored vegetables and reduced with red wine and many spices. In fact, closer to an indian vegetable curry.

The Pixar animation image was a recipe specially created by a consultant that they hired for the film, a chef Thomas Keller.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 17th, 2020, 9:41 pm

easy-ratatouille-recipe-with-eggplant-zucchini-tomatoes-pepper-onion-vegan-low-carb.jpg

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 17th, 2020, 10:11 pm

dogg wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
dogg wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:

it has lots of names

You mean Baiganee?

Sorry but you're clueless.

You didn't know what any primary school student knows, but I'm clueless? :roll: Carry on.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » May 17th, 2020, 11:02 pm

Its just a variation... same concept. You can do it like a traditional "pie" or like that.

maj. tom wrote:I don't think ratatouille really looks like that.
It's a vegetable stew. Similar to our "fry baigan and aloo", except with many colored vegetables and reduced with red wine and many spices. In fact, closer to an indian vegetable curry.

The Pixar animation image was a recipe specially created by a consultant that they hired for the film, a chef Thomas Keller.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 17th, 2020, 11:13 pm

dogg wrote:
eliteauto wrote:
dogg wrote:

I did, they're in the freezer, but they look like normal aloo pies. I can take pix of that if you want...

yeah man cool, tbh I never heard of that version before this thread, only knew of the baiganee where they fried it in the kachoorie batter

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 18th, 2020, 6:21 am

A lot of doubles vendors sell that type of pie . I finding it strange that there are fellas here who never see it before . The sheds in Debe has it selling too . Probably it melts a little and is eaten without inspecting it ?

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » May 18th, 2020, 7:15 am

rspann wrote:A lot of doubles vendors sell that type of pie . I finding it strange that there are fellas here who never see it before . The sheds in Debe has it selling too . Probably it melts a little and is eaten without inspecting it ?

Nah if they've never seen it, it means it doesn't exist :roll:

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » May 19th, 2020, 9:05 am

K74T wrote:

This is probably one of the best local youtube channels I've seen. It's a shame she does not have more subscribers.

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » May 19th, 2020, 11:27 pm

Op, I see this Natasha lady have 2 videos:

- Baiganee Pie | Eggplant Pie - Episode 768 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzyMKnhWrbY
- Baigan Pie | Eggplant Pie - Episode 644 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZJZ8jK53-8

So this baigan pie that you talking about is more like which one of Natasha's pies, ep 768 or ep 644?

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 21st, 2020, 10:05 am

2ndchance wrote:Op, I see this Natasha lady have 2 videos:

- Baiganee Pie | Eggplant Pie - Episode 768 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzyMKnhWrbY
- Baigan Pie | Eggplant Pie - Episode 644 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZJZ8jK53-8

So this baigan pie that you talking about is more like which one of Natasha's pies, ep 768 or ep 644?

Not unlike #768. But I don't believe they use whole pieces of baigan like that. Smaller pieces. But I could be wrong.

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » May 21st, 2020, 1:53 pm

dogg wrote:

Not unlike #768. But I don't believe they use whole pieces of baigan like that. Smaller pieces. But I could be wrong.

Interesting. Can anyone suggest a vendor where I could sample this kinda baigan pie in the St.Augustine/Curepe area?

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 21st, 2020, 8:56 pm

There are two types, most times both are called baiganee, it's just a variation in how it's made. Very rarely you'd find a vendor making both.

Kinda like how there are two kinds of saheena - the roll and the chip.

I know both - the medallion sliced one, coated in ground dhal/channa and fried. More crunchy and loads more flavour. Don't need any condiments, just pepper to taste.

The aloopie variety is just a lenthways slice, salted and seasoned, then inserted into the aloopie type dough and fried. This one needs the normal condiments to taste good. Channa, pepper, sauce etc.

I eh eat doubles or pie in about a year, so I due to go mashup some

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » May 22nd, 2020, 5:35 am

2ndchance wrote:
dogg wrote:

Interesting. Can anyone suggest a vendor where I could sample this kinda baigan pie in the St.Augustine/Curepe area?

you might check d vendors by macoya junction or d man by the bus route on pasea road, idk if he still sells there but stop some years ago an it taste bad so i never went back by he. but el socorro less dan 5 minutes away and yuh sure to get in el socorro. aranguez main road yuh will get all types on a sat or sun

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 22nd, 2020, 9:18 am

2ndchance wrote:
dogg wrote:

Tunapuna market has a couple doubles vendors selling them. Ask around

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » May 22nd, 2020, 11:21 am

Aye yeesssss now remember what dogg talking about... Yeh dah does lash

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » May 24th, 2020, 11:11 am

Plain with no add-ons for the demo purposes. It is good.

dogg
Riding on 17's

Postby dogg » May 24th, 2020, 4:05 pm

maj. tom wrote:Plain with no add-ons for the demo purposes. It is good.

that's the baiganee variety. Looks good though.

The pie type is the one I was interested in.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”