TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Which Analog Echo Chamber did DJ's use in the 70s?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

mikehende
3NE 2NR for life

Which Analog Echo Chamber did DJ's use in the 70s?

Postby mikehende » May 4th, 2020, 9:43 am

Hey guys, anyone remember the Analog brands and model the DJ's used back in the 70s? I know in the 80s Digitech and Delta labs was very popular but those were digital units.

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Which Analog Echo Chamber did DJ's use in the 70s?

Postby X_Factor » May 4th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Pioneer Sr 303 reverb

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » May 4th, 2020, 2:25 pm

^^^u well know d ting self

i just checked d actual model no on d 1 my bro used back in d day & its exactly that : d Sr 303 .....

mikehende
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mikehende » May 4th, 2020, 2:32 pm

I have that model and have owned I think all of the Pioneer models SR 101, 202, 303, SR 9, 60 and I think there was one more over the years but that is a Spring reverb guys and not "echo" machines.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » May 4th, 2020, 3:08 pm

OP you sure about DJ's using "echo chambers" I too remember 70's DJs having the reverbs which were erroneously called echo chambers

mikehende
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mikehende » May 4th, 2020, 3:11 pm

YeaH I had tapes back in the 70s from guys like Maddy and Wilkinson Corporation who used echo/delay effects when they made tapes. Let me check with Rocky and another friend of mine who was a dj back in the 70s who might have used them, get back here.

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » May 4th, 2020, 10:40 pm

Sansui RA-500

mikehende
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mikehende » May 5th, 2020, 9:26 am

eliteauto wrote:OP you sure about DJ's using "echo chambers" I too remember 70's DJs having the reverbs which were erroneously called echo chambers

It seems you're mostly right with this. One of my Dj's from back then said the Sansui too so it would appear the reverb is what they termed as echo.

Still have some other DJ's to try to connect with who used delay and echo fx when making their tapes, will report back if/when I should find them. I had an echo machine in the 80s but can't remember the brand.model, it was something like this
Univox EchoChamber EC-80A Tape Echo:

https://reverb.com/p/univox-ec-80a?gcli ... rce=google

and this is a good demo of the Roland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK2-tv4GW5E

As you can hear, even though he is using a guitar and not playback music the audio quality is superb and the echo fx itself is much better than the 80s Digital fx machines.

mikehende
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mikehende » May 5th, 2020, 3:27 pm

Right guys, seems I am going down the right track. Just spoke to the dj friend again who had mentioned the Sansui Reverb.

He confirmed that he also had a Space Echo machine similar to the one in the video I linked to and had used it for the same reasons [echo and delay effects]

To clarify on the echo fx, if any of you here are old enough to remember Dave Elcock's TOP 10 Radio program back in the 70s, part of his jingle when he got to the no.1 song it would say "number one-one-one-one-one" e.t.c, that is the echo effect I am referring to and is what the tape or space echo machines was famous for.

Also guys like Rennie B would use the delay effect which most likely came from that type machine. God I am old! sighhhhhhhh

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kasey » May 8th, 2020, 1:26 am

mikehende wrote:Right guys, seems I am going down the right track. Just spoke to the dj friend again who had mentioned the Sansui Reverb.

He confirmed that he also had a Space Echo machine similar to the one in the video I linked to and had used it for the same reasons [echo and delay effects]

To clarify on the echo fx, if any of you here are old enough to remember Dave Elcock's TOP 10 Radio program back in the 70s, part of his jingle when he got to the no.1 song it would say "number one-one-one-one-one" e.t.c, that is the echo effect I am referring to and is what the tape or space echo machines was famous for.

Also guys like Rennie B would use the delay effect which most likely came from that type machine. God I am old! sighhhhhhhh

Hey I am starting a vintage Sound system set for my dad and got my hands on some nice stuff. You have vintage audio stuff to sell or part with? Also I am looking for vinyl records if you can put me unto anyone.

mikehende
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mikehende » May 8th, 2020, 7:21 am

What's your dad's age if you don't mind me asking?

Also, what equipment and type of setup are you contemplating?

As for vinyl, classified ads or eBay would be your best bet to purchase vinyl for cheaper price.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » May 8th, 2020, 1:09 pm

I have some vintage high end equipmenf

Will consider selling if the price is right

Carver pre amp and processing and mcintosh amplifier

mikehende
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mikehende » May 8th, 2020, 1:27 pm

Yes, I can vouch for the quality of both units mentioned. I had a Phase Linear crossover back in the day which was made by Bob Carver, anything by him is quality.

As for MacIntosh amp, that should be a tube amp and is one of the best ever.

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kasey » May 9th, 2020, 9:29 pm

mikehende wrote:What's your dad's age if you don't mind me asking?

As for vinyl, classified ads or eBay would be your best bet to purchase vinyl for cheaper price.

My dad is 62
I already got my hands on a Sansui 8080DB receiver with a pair of Sansui SP-X9700 speaker boxes. I need to repair the high end in the boxes, but otherwise in great cosmetic shape for the age. Just wanna add some stuff to compliment them, and a turn table. I already have a pair of Technics 1200, but I use that to Play around as a DJ Hobbyist. I want to get another turntable for my dad to add to his set also, hence the reason for the need for some records.

Frankly once I see a good deal, I will take it.

antlind
Riding on 17's

Postby antlind » May 9th, 2020, 9:41 pm

mikehende wrote:Right guys, seems I am going down the right track. Just spoke to the dj friend again who had mentioned the Sansui Reverb.

Correct. Back in the 1980s both the Reverb and Echo Chamber units were popular. My buddy had both. With the Reverb unit there were two dials that you could turn to vary the effect of the reverb making the output sound somewhat mechanical. But the echo until allowed you to have specific words echoed in Rennie B fashion. I think the echo chamber was analog while the Reverb was totally electronic. I can’t recall the brand names of either device unfortunately.

mikehende
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mikehende » May 10th, 2020, 9:00 am

The Reverb unit used back then was mainly the Sunsui RA 500 and Pioneer models like the SR 303 and SR9 models, these were used for spring Reverb effects.

For delays and echoing effects, in the 70s most popular brands as I have now found out were the Korg and other brands Space Echo tape delay units. in the 80s the Digital units like the Digitech and Delta labs units was famous for echo and delay.

nismoid
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby nismoid » May 11th, 2020, 10:18 pm

Gemini Echo Chamber was also a popular choice before the Pioneer Reverb and Expanders

mikehende
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mikehende » May 12th, 2020, 8:58 am

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » June 3rd, 2020, 8:35 pm

Kasey wrote:

My dad is 62
I already got my hands on a Sansui 8080DB receiver with a pair of Sansui SP-X9700 speaker boxes. I need to repair the high end in the boxes, but otherwise in great cosmetic shape for the age. Just wanna add some stuff to compliment them, and a turn table. I already have a pair of Technics 1200, but I use that to Play around as a DJ Hobbyist. I want to get another turntable for my dad to add to his set also, hence the reason for the need for some records.

I had a pair of the Sansui SP-X9700 boxes that I sold to a tuner about 2 years ago. I wonder if its that pair that's found its way to you? I've just finished work on two pieces that haven't worked in about 12 years a Sherwood S7100-A reciever from 1973 and a Kenwood KA-501 amplifier from 1978. I guess the extra free time covid-19 has given, has me feeling nostalgic and rekindled my love for playing music at home. Gonna refoam a pair of Paradigm Atom V3 to run with it and build a cabinet with some pallets
IMG_20200601_125556_366.jpeg

mikehende
3NE 2NR for life

Postby mikehende » June 4th, 2020, 7:43 am

Man, I was thinking of doing the same thing but to get the true analog sound will mean having to use records and tape and I am now too lazy to use those.

Can you tell me which dj software is that on your Mac please?

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kasey » June 4th, 2020, 10:38 am

No idea, but they in good condition. How much you sold them for? Also, I will be interested if you are willing to part with any other vintage equipment you have for the right price. Also interested in vinyl records if you know anyone.

eliteauto wrote:
Kasey wrote:

My dad is 62

I had a pair of the Sansui SP-X9700 boxes that I sold to a tuner about 2 years ago. I wonder if its that pair that's found its way to you? I've just finished work on two pieces that haven't worked in about 12 years a Sherwood S7100-A reciever from 1973 and a Kenwood KA-501 amplifier from 1978. I guess the extra free time covid-19 has given, has me feeling nostalgic and rekindled my love for playing music at home. Gonna refoam a pair of Paradigm Atom V3 to run with it and build a cabinet with some pallets IMG_20200601_125556_366.jpeg

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » March 22nd, 2021, 6:25 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/9299188 ... 8660956391
Vintage Pioneer 202
Reverbnation
Great condition
Price : $600.00

X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby X_Factor » March 23rd, 2021, 10:11 am

he sells some awesome vintage gear
that dynaco combo is worth an easy 5-600usd on ebay

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kasey » March 24th, 2021, 2:55 am

X_Factor wrote:he sells some awesome vintage gear
that dynaco combo is worth an easy 5-600usd on ebay

I nearly buy that enno. I think it still there too.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » March 24th, 2021, 10:43 am

That Dynaco stack is an easy buy and worth it especially with their stuff gaining in value. I recently acquired a Dynaco SCA-80Q, Dynaquad amp and my tech was telling me even locally there are collectors of them.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 10.36.02 AM.png

Black Scorpion
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Black Scorpion » March 24th, 2021, 10:54 am

Looks mint
eliteauto wrote:That Dynaco stack is an easy buy and worth it especially with their stuff gaining in value. I recently acquired a Dynaco SCA-80Q, Dynaquad amp and my tech was telling me even locally there are collectors of them.

hindian
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby hindian » March 24th, 2021, 12:11 pm

My contribution to the thread as pertains to vintage audio. This is my Marantz 4400 4 channel reciever with working oscilloscope. I've also got my old mans Marantz turntable so I'm look around for a tube amplifier and some boxes to match. There is some additional circuitry that can be plugged in at the bottom of the reciever to split it to 8 channels but that hard to find.
20210324_120611.jpeg

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”