Off shore Sailing

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

zoom rader
TunerGod

Off shore Sailing

Postby zoom rader » April 22nd, 2020, 2:44 pm

Any offshore, sea sail boaters in here.

Planing to do a world tour, anyone done it in here ?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Off shore Sailing

Postby adnj » April 22nd, 2020, 2:53 pm

Never more than a couple of hundred miles from home port.

I spent a lot of time sailing with my parents. I spent even more time maintaining that boat for them.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » April 22nd, 2020, 3:20 pm

zoom rader wrote:Any offshore, sea sail boaters in here.

That was always a dream of mine.... some day maybe after retirement... good luck boy Zoom navigate them waters well

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 22nd, 2020, 3:24 pm

adnj wrote:Never more than a couple of hundred miles from home port.

I spent a lot of time sailing with my parents. I spent even more time maintaining that boat for them.
Looking to get into it.

After all this covid mess , I will looking to take some sailing classes. Been looking at tons of youtube vids.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 3:50 pm

Zoom , I have two friends who did it more than once . One is a French Marine who sailed the world once and made numerous trips between Europe and The west Indies . His stories might make you want to change your mind ,because it's not easy . He did USA to Trinidad a couple times too because he brings in boats for people who purchased abroad .

He has retired for the last two years because of age . He will tell you of ninety foot waves in a thirty foot boat and having to lash yourself to the helm for days because of storms , cannot move to use the toilet , eat or sleep . Sailing around the Caribbean might be more interesting unless you have real belly and can get someone you feel safe with . Th

The other is a German who did Europe ,Mediterranean , Indian Ocean and the Pacific . He has a different mentality and goes by rules . Very meticulous and efficient so he is the ideal sailor . He travelled in a boat he made himself

If you want to talk to one of them I'll tell you where he is and you can get first hand info .

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 22nd, 2020, 4:30 pm

^^^ I have worked on oil tankers and faced hugh waves in the north sea. I kinda experienced the rough seas in the small motor boats going from platform to platform where helicopters cannot land or no helipad. Waves normal like 6 to 10 meters. It's was enought to make you puke and really feel sick. But those were just short trips of 90 miles in a motor boat. Some of the guys on those boats where part time sailors in the winter where they got paid the most and after winter they go go sailing in their own boats till the next winter. Those guys told some stories, so I kinda know what they faced.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 4:42 pm

Well check Sailing Association . They have courses every year but with this situation I don't know if this summer they have anything planned .

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » April 22nd, 2020, 4:43 pm

Heard some of the Frenchman's stories first hand,Zanzibar too.Good man that..he admires you..

rspann wrote:Zoom , I have two friends who did it more than once . One is a French Marine who sailed the world once and made numerous trips between Europe and The west Indies . His stories might make you want to change your mind ,because it's not easy . He did USA to Trinidad a couple times too because he brings in boats for people who purchased abroad .

He has retired for the last two years because of age . He will tell you of ninety foot waves in a thirty foot boat and having to lash yourself to the helm for days because of storms , cannot move to use the toilet , eat or sleep . Sailing around the Caribbean might be more interesting unless you have real belly and can get someone you feel safe with . Th

The other is a German who did Europe ,Mediterranean , Indian Ocean and the Pacific . He has a different mentality and goes by rules . Very meticulous and efficient so he is the ideal sailor . He travelled in a boat he made himself

If you want to talk to one of them I'll tell you where he is and you can get first hand info .

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 22nd, 2020, 4:45 pm

rspann wrote:Well check Sailing Association . They have courses every year but with this situation I don't know if this summer they have anything planned .
Yeah I gonna check them after Covid, also checked some classes up in the UK. So I have to wait, until then it's endless reading and youtube for it.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 4:46 pm

VII wrote:Heard some of the Frenchman's stories first hand,Zanzibar too.Good man that..he admires you..

rspann wrote:Zoom , I have two friends who did it more than once . One is a French Marine who sailed the world once and made numerous trips between Europe and The west Indies . His stories might make you want to change your mind ,because it's not easy . He did USA to Trinidad a couple times too because he brings in boats for people who purchased abroad .

Aye ! I forget that Gerard is yuh pardna too . He always talk about you . Every Sunday morning he's by me . Tells everybody my two sons is his grandchildren . He knew them from when the older was 4 yo.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 4:54 pm

zoom rader wrote:
rspann wrote:Well check Sailing Association . They have courses every year but with this situation I don't know if this summer they have anything planned .
Yeah I gonna check them after Covid, also checked some classes up in the UK. So I have to wait, until then it's endless reading and youtube for it.

Sailing around Europe and then on to Trinidad was my plan with my friend but he doesn't want to do it again due to age and health issues .

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 22nd, 2020, 5:04 pm

I hoping to do up the islands to gain experience and once I feel I am able then cross the Atlantic to Mediteran then on to pacific via Indian ocean. Looking at doing a year.

So it's gonna be sailing clases, buy boat, get family crew.

I did Europe on motor bike and was thinking of doing South America ,but boating seems a better trill.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 5:17 pm

Going west to east is considerably harder you have to go more northward to do so because of the winds and current . Once you get across , Europe will be easy. I not promising anybody that I will be up for the Pacific though. Six months plus and unpredictable weather .

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 22nd, 2020, 5:22 pm

rspann wrote:Going west to east is considerably harder you have to go more northward to do so because of the winds and current . Once you get across , Europe will be easy. I not promising anybody that I will be up for the Pacific though. Six months plus and unpredictable weather .
Well plans still on the table, was also thinking via Panama then the smaller islands to Oz.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 5:25 pm

Provisioning , safety gear and communication equipment must be studied in detail. Probably more than anything else.
Learning astronomy ,weather , currents and tides , boat maintenance and reading maps must be given serious study. Don't rely on navigation equipment alone .

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 5:27 pm

Panama to Oz is a real pull , but you'll visit some of the most beautiful places .

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 5:35 pm

Remember you'll be looking for wind so you have to travel more southward to take advantage of the westerlies so you'll have to learn real geography .

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 22nd, 2020, 5:58 pm

^^^ one Family member is a fisherman but he's never done real sailing, so he knows a little about the sea. All other details like planning, navigation, comms I will be doing that. So just reseaching all I can at the moment.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 6:15 pm

The course has basic navigation and maps , so it's a good start . Read up as much as you can . A sailboat and a motor boat are two different things and when you out at sea there's no changing your mind a sometimes no turning back. Also knowledge of wind currents is vital. But it's doable with the right preparation.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » April 22nd, 2020, 6:25 pm

this topic reminds me of school days learning about Harold & Kwailan La Borde ...

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 7:04 pm

Rovin wrote:this topic reminds me of school days learning about Harold & Kwailan La Borde ...

Hear nah ! They were real brave eh ? That boat was so small and they had children with them ( on the second voyage I think ) .

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 22nd, 2020, 7:13 pm

Closest I ever get to that feeling was one day we on a friend boat going Tobago for Great Race and he didn't want to listen to directions and had no navigation instruments. He like he was heading for Barbados and almost miss Tobago . He run out of gas and we had to let the current carry us in almost a mile . We leave Trinidad 7 am and reach Tobago about 3.30 pm.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » April 22nd, 2020, 11:35 pm

My friend planned this in 2010 with her family and the trip started in 2012 from US West Coast, and I literally never heard from them again, 2 days after leaving. I googled the name some time after to see if they died but nothing came up.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 23rd, 2020, 12:37 am

I have a few questions if you all dont mind:

1. What is the ideal boat size for this mission?
2. What would be the minimum amount of persons allowed to be on-board?
3. How much storage for food and water do we have? In other words, what range would the boat give you before a day's worth of food and water is consumed?
4. Portable or on-board GPS and sat phone?
5. Portable or on-board radio communication?
6. Propulsion is strictly sails or with motor redundancy?
7. If motor, what sort of range we looking at?
8. Maritime laws, is such a venture legal and if so, what sort of documents (besides govt identification and passports) must one walk with if stopped by Coast Guard or military personnel?
9. Likelihood of pirates? How to determine what boat/vessel is a threat? Would the boat have radar equipment?
10. What about determining water depth? How to avoid the rocks or other unsceen obstacles? Is sonar equipment a must have?
11. Boat maintenance and checks is done based on nautical miles covered? What sort of things must one look or check for under maintenance?
12. Restrooms and taking a bath. This is obviously dependent on boat size and facilities. If so, where does one buy the water to store for these purposes?
13. How do these small boats navigate through rough seas and storm like conditions?
14. Is it that route planning is done by avoiding bad weather which can lengthen a trip? How do you know when to strike the right balance between course heading and weather conditions?
15. How do you deal with emergencies out at sea? Who responds to a mayday in international waters?
16. What sort of cost factor are we talking about here? Food, fuel, maintenance, docking fees etc?
17. Bench marking, what is the ideal range for noobs?

This interests me highly but as you can obviously detect, the furthest I've ever been was "down the islands".

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 23rd, 2020, 12:38 am

Been planning this for two years, so have to wait till covid over . Hope fully boat prices will drop in my favor.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 23rd, 2020, 1:16 am

agent007 wrote:I have a few questions if you all dont mind:

1. What is the ideal boat size for this mission?
2. What would be the minimum amount of persons allowed to be on-board?
3. How much storage for food and water do we have? In other words, what range would the boat give you before a day's worth of food and water is consumed?
4. Portable or on-board GPS and sat phone?
5. Portable or on-board radio communication?
6. Propulsion is strictly sails or with motor redundancy?
7. If motor, what sort of range we looking at?
8. Maritime laws, is such a venture legal and if so, what sort of documents (besides govt identification and passports) must one walk with if stopped by Coast Guard or military personnel?
9. Likelihood of pirates? How to determine what boat/vessel is a threat? Would the boat have radar equipment?
10. What about determining water depth? How to avoid the rocks or other unsceen obstacles? Is sonar equipment a must have?
11. Boat maintenance and checks is done based on nautical miles covered? What sort of things must one look or check for under maintenance?
12. Restrooms and taking a bath. This is obviously dependent on boat size and facilities. If so, where does one buy the water to store for these purposes?
13. How do these small boats navigate through rough seas and storm like conditions?
14. Is it that route planning is done by avoiding bad weather which can lengthen a trip? How do you know when to strike the right balance between course heading and weather conditions?
15. How do you deal with emergencies out at sea? Who responds to a mayday in international waters?
16. What sort of cost factor are we talking about here? Food, fuel, maintenance, docking fees etc?
17. Bench marking, what is the ideal range for noobs?

This interests me highly but as you can obviously detect, the furthest I've ever been was "down the islands".
YouTube answers all those questions.

There are loads of folks with no sailing experience that took the plunge . They sold everything they had brough boat and funded their own sail around the world. They part funded the trip by vlogging. When they completed the trip they often sold the boat to recover some of the cost.

From what I leant a 40 foot boat is ideal with a crew of 3 to 4. Sailing is a 24 hr job so it will take each crew member on an 8 hr shift. Most crew where hands on with some sort of technical skill like electrician, mechanic handyman ect. So in case of repairs they can assit if repairs at sea or dock.

I got a fisherman who is handy with boat repairs and fishing, other guy has mechanical back ground, while myself is electrical/electronic/Instrument background

They would sail from island to island with the longest about 3 weeks at sea from land.

Customs and immigration would mean applying for visas if needed before the trip. Boat paper work and registration. Medical shots & insurance, boat insurance if boat fairly new.

As for cost, a boat can cost around from $30k + US , monthly cost that covers everything from fuel , maintenance, food, custom & Immigration, mooring, docking fees, foreseeable repairs can reach around $2k US per month give and take.

Some folk on YouTube did it on 1K a month. They ate fish from what they caught.

I estimate a cost of 500k TT boat included for a year split among the crew.

Still doing more reseach.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » April 23rd, 2020, 7:03 am

Lunacy.

But glorious fantastic lunacy.
Good Luck.Sincerely

I know one person who is in South, who has 50 years experience,,building and regional sailing...He is very well dialed in in the TTYA etc.
Perfect to get your info from..
If you so inclined I can pass one his number.

cornfused
30 pounds of Boost

Postby cornfused » April 23rd, 2020, 7:25 am

Less than 1000 hours on small one to two man sail boats. Good luck Zoom. I may be into part time fishing soon. Be careful a sat phone,water and other items said above are necessary.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » April 23rd, 2020, 8:17 am

Redman wrote:

Lunacy.

But glorious fantastic lunacy.
Good Luck.Sincerely

I know one person who is in South, who has 50 years experience,,building and regional sailing...He is very well dialed in in the TTYA etc.
Perfect to get your info from..
If you so inclined I can pass one his number.
That sounds like Carvallo from Manjack St, I know the dude. Aka Santa.

If it is him, I know him personally and he already gave me pointers. He actually built a small boat for me awhile back.

But it's not lunacy, if you do your research and planning. I did the same on a bike ride across Europe

Carvallo himself sailed himself to South Africa in the 1970s and he did it on a whim

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Rory Phoulorie » April 23rd, 2020, 8:30 am

How are you dealing with pirates? I know someone who has a sailboat and was moored somewhere in a bay in Magarita Island (this was way before all this confusion now in Venezuela) with other yachts and was boarded in the night by pirates.

I would assume that the pirate problem will not be isolated to Venezuela alone.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”