Forums

Where can you buy a old used CRT TV?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Where can you buy a old used CRT TV?

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 11th, 2020, 3:01 pm

It have any electronic shops locally that sells these dinosaurs still working?

Not the crappy sharp TV the somewhat decent Sony Trinitron and them.

What is the average price of them so now? I could only imagine how old the capacitors and parts in them thing is now :lol:

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Where can you buy a old used CRT TV?

Postby eliteauto » April 11th, 2020, 4:28 pm

there are electronic repair shops that would have, I gave away an RCA 32" to a friend after owning it for 16 years, it was (at the time) one of their best models, it's still going ( now 18 years old) . There's a guy on Piccadilly in POS who has a lot of TVs on the pavement you could try there

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » April 11th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Like yuh going to do some gaming on a Wii.

Check facebook classifieds, they come up now and again.

Other things to watch out for in addition to dried out caps is a shorting flyback transformer and faded CRT...:cool:

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 11th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Thanks will see if I could source ah Trinitron

Yeah going do some gaming not on Wii but making up ah collection of PS1 and SNES games and stuff. I started collecting retro games as a hobby I sorry I did end up throwing away my PS1 and SNES all them years ago yes.

The Nostalgia does come with a vengeance when yuh getting older yes.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 11th, 2020, 4:58 pm

I have a sharp flat 29 crt

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » April 11th, 2020, 5:02 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Thanks will see if I could source ah Trinitron

Yeah going do some gaming not on Wii but making up ah collection of PS1 and SNES games and stuff. I started collecting retro games as a hobby I sorry I did end up throwing away my PS1 and SNES all them years ago yes.

The Nostalgia does come with a vengeance when yuh getting older yes.

They does call it a midlife crisis...:lol:

Nothing could beat the experience of OEM equipment but if you'll be gaming intermittently check out the various emulators for the PC.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » April 11th, 2020, 5:51 pm

There is a shop in POS.

Dropped pin
Near Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago
https://maps.app.goo.gl/GrEgoVZNdBifFeow7

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 11th, 2020, 5:52 pm

^ Yeah boy ent, midlife crisis is a hell of a thing lol

the prices for retro games is ridiculous aswell, I go just use ah emulator.

Here this my biggest issue was how bad the retro games scale on modern HDTV, CRT has a unique ability to produce scanlines with something better than black the gun can turn off which means the pixels glow, while making the retro games look like HD. It could scale 240p low res to any size without any loss in detail aswell.... Where as a LCD or other modern TV can't do this when you enable scan lines which is why enabling scanlines look like sh!t and the lines are so dark looking. Not like CRT where its all bright and glowing and nice

But I managed to find this, check it out its called "CRT Royale" a special shader for emulators, what it does is exactly what CRT Does. But to use it properly you need to run the retro games at 4K in a 4K TV preferably as glossy TV panel as possible. With as much contrast as possible, have a look at this video he shows you how each preset looks with and without crt royale. The problem with running regular scanline filtering on regular matte monitors is regular scanline filters just makes sh!t dark where as this does not it emulates every aspect of a CRT gun

You will notice it looks incredibly well but if you have a 4K Screen and you can select the youtube video to 4K you would see it in all its glory. I intend to do this so I can play all my retro games. I don't think I will bother with the CRT TV anymore. They are just sooooo old now, one thing to know about this CRT ROyale shader, if you have an OLED TV it would be perfect as you can get, probably will never truly emulate CRT but can get so close.

Apparently it actually uses a lot of PC Gaming power at 4K due to the nature of the shader and how the CRT is emulated but my PC is pretty good it can run it no problem. I just need a 4K screen now

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 11th, 2020, 6:05 pm

Firstly, all these local places closed.
You could look for a RCA to HDMI converter somewhere. Instead of wasting money on a piece of junk TV that will send up your TTEC bill.

Or download the free emulators for PC like snes9x or BizHawk. There are libraries of ROMs on the internet. Controls on the keyboard or buy a Nintendo or PS1 USB controller to plug into your PC if it's the nostalgia of that gamer's thumb you want.

The converter is USD $12 and the retro controller pack is USD $35 on Amazon.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 11th, 2020, 6:09 pm

maj. tom wrote:Firstly, all these local places closed.
You could look for a RCA to HDMI converter somewhere. Instead of wasting money on a piece of junk TV that will send up your TTEC bill.

Or download the free emulators for PC like snes9x or BizHawk. There are libraries of ROMs on the internet. Controls on the keyboard or buy a Nintendo or PS1 USB controller to plug into your PC if it's the nostalgia of that gamer's thumb you want.

The converter is USD $12 and the retro controller pack is USD $35 on Amazon.

Check out the last post I made on this thread explaining why the need for a CRT TV, modern screens doesn't have the unique scanline ability of a CRT Gun, but there is indeed a new technology its been out a while now that can get pretty close to it using 4K emulation and a 4K Screen with "Crt Royale" shader emulation but it has to be very high contrast or an OLED. I feel I will go down that road, my issue isn't lack of connectivity or anything like that it is how horrible the retro games look on modern displays which all lack the unique ability found only in a cathode ray tube

I may invest in a OLED 4K TV which is what is needed for this and a super bright one at that. Hopefully black friday will have a deal

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » April 12th, 2020, 6:06 am

Yes, scan lines do add to the nostalgic feel.

As you mentioned glossy screens, most desktop monitors nowadays coming with matte displays while TVs carrying semi-glossy coatings at best. Like they're becoming an endangered species...:lol:

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:^ Yeah boy ent, midlife crisis is a hell of a thing lol

the prices for retro games is ridiculous aswell, I go just use ah emulator.

Here this my biggest issue was how bad the retro games scale on modern HDTV, CRT has a unique ability to produce scanlines with something better than black the gun can turn off which means the pixels glow, while making the retro games look like HD. It could scale 240p low res to any size without any loss in detail aswell.... Where as a LCD or other modern TV can't do this when you enable scan lines which is why enabling scanlines look like sh!t and the lines are so dark looking. Not like CRT where its all bright and glowing and nice

But I managed to find this, check it out its called "CRT Royale" a special shader for emulators, what it does is exactly what CRT Does. But to use it properly you need to run the retro games at 4K in a 4K TV preferably as glossy TV panel as possible. With as much contrast as possible, have a look at this video he shows you how each preset looks with and without crt royale. The problem with running regular scanline filtering on regular matte monitors is regular scanline filters just makes sh!t dark where as this does not it emulates every aspect of a CRT gun

You will notice it looks incredibly well but if you have a 4K Screen and you can select the youtube video to 4K you would see it in all its glory. I intend to do this so I can play all my retro games. I don't think I will bother with the CRT TV anymore. They are just sooooo old now, one thing to know about this CRT ROyale shader, if you have an OLED TV it would be perfect as you can get, probably will never truly emulate CRT but can get so close.

Apparently it actually uses a lot of PC Gaming power at 4K due to the nature of the shader and how the CRT is emulated but my PC is pretty good it can run it no problem. I just need a 4K screen now

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 12th, 2020, 6:58 am

^ yeah boy ent, only Apple has something called the LG Fine Display Retina, it is 21.5 inch @4K and it is fully Glossy. I think it is like $1000 USD for one but it needs to be connected to a Apple computer unfortunately.

And let's be real that eh emulating one @ss at 4K

I have the last ever made fully glossy monitor, it is a Dell S2415H 1080p with a very slow G2G unfortunately but its pretty beautiful to look at.

The retroarch CRT Royale shader has to be done at 4K internally for it to work properly and it has to be on a glossy as possible display and very high contrast.

So my best bet I reckon is a 43" 4K TV that is atleast Semi Gloss and has local dimming and very high contrast.

It's real weird just how much power and money it takes to recreate a true 240p old archaic experience with a 4K PC emulating using nearly 300 watts eh? the very problem engineers fought to to solve. lol :lol:

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » April 12th, 2020, 5:51 pm

I thought you was going for this kinda thing.

While them thing might look better and have near 0ms input lag,
I still prefer to go with bigger screen, higher resolution at the expense of sub 20ms input lag.

I use review sites like RTings and FlatpanelsHD because not many sites include input lag as a test.

They only watch response time and see 1ms GTG or 5ms and say "Yes that will be good for gaming" despite having all kinda 100ms input lag.

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » April 13th, 2020, 3:04 pm

I hook up a ps2 to my smart tv... But fonts blurry.. is it a processing issue?

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 13th, 2020, 3:26 pm

ANything less than a PS3 will look like sh!t on modern HD/Smart TV

You need a CRT to properly run those PS2 systems otherwise it will look like rubbish.

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » April 13th, 2020, 3:34 pm

What resolution is the tv 1080p or 2160p (4K)
It stretching to take up most of the screen?

Then that is just a consequence of running 480p on a 1080p or 2160p device.
No amount of sharpening/post-processing could ever turn a 480p into 2160p.
Might look better on the 1080 than the 2160.

If the TV have a setting to not stretch it to full screen, it should show sharper, but the visual window will be smaller on a 1080p and much less on a 2160 (4k) - black bars on all 4 sides.
On some of them older LG had a setting like 'set aspect ratio by source' or something so.

nismotrinidappa
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby nismotrinidappa » April 13th, 2020, 3:43 pm

I believe it a 1080. It's a TCL brand 55 inch. Will see if I can reduce the stretch..

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 13th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Dunno how allyuh could stand them nasty PS2 graphics on those HDTV nah.

Atleast it looks crisp and nice on CRT, anyways I shall dedicate my life to finding that Sony Trinitron CRT one way or another it will be mine, if only I didn't throw away the 32" Trinitron I had 10 years ago.....
\
BTW watch the passion this man put into this repair video nah :lol:

That is a man who understands the beauty of CRT yes :lol:

I shall rebuild my lost childhood pixel by pixel, one collectable SNES by one collectable PS1 by one PS2 by one by one

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » April 13th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Long video . You could just skip through like every 5 minute mark.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 13th, 2020, 4:12 pm

^ he is a bit clueless when he says he can barely tell the difference, just like the morons who used to claim that they can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p TV when playing Xbox One or PS4 when everybody with half a brain knows the difference is obvious.

CRT factually and scientifically looks better easily when playing retro games even 3D ones like PS2 because of the unique behavior of CRT and its ability to scale any game to the size of any CRT without any loss of quality. HDTV LCD or OLED cannot do this, retro games were designed for CRT and its flaws along with unique abilities they possess.

This fool also claims he can't tell the difference between lag, he seriously can't tell the difference between 0ms lag on CRT vs 20ms lag on LCD? ok then he shouldn't be making videos if this is the case........

Blaze d Chalice
Riding on 17's

Postby Blaze d Chalice » April 13th, 2020, 5:19 pm

Oh i didn't listen to the video.
I just skip through to see how it was looking on the different TVs to see if dais what nismo was talking about menu being blurry.

Seeing they were using additional hardware too so I don't know if that might have had an effect.

Wrt to the lag, he eh really test no twitch game (not the platform) that would highlight this like a fighting or sniping game.
Most people might not notice unless is like 50 and up, but if is a turn-based game, for sure they won't notice.

If your input lag is more than 100 is best you throw away that, or use it as a Menu display in a food shop.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 13th, 2020, 5:49 pm

This fella TV real nice jed

https://i.redd.it/hm93y5r8ifs41.jpg

^ watch that nah damn

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » August 3rd, 2020, 9:49 am

I have a 20 year old 'crappy' Sharp TV at work that had to be force shelved because my office space was downsized after a move. Them TV's built solid.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 3rd, 2020, 9:52 am

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”