TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Official HiFi Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » March 30th, 2020, 10:56 am

Not sure if there is an existing thread on HIFI for home stereo for enthusiasts. Not professional DJ or Home Theater but HiFi....

Any local HiFi enthusiasts out there?

User avatar
ru$$ell
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2478
Joined: August 4th, 2003, 10:01 am
Location: one up....

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby ru$$ell » March 30th, 2020, 11:24 am

use to be into it,but fell outta the loop some years ago

you'll be surprised of some of the equipment there is locally, real cult following of this stuff on the real high end part down here

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9651
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 30th, 2020, 11:44 am

I use a number of audiophile products but it is mainly headphones, I own a Sennheiser HD 660s and HD 58x jubilee along with Topping D30 DAC and Monoprice Liquid Spark Amplifier

I used to own other devices aswell but nothing compares to open back headphones. In terms of speakers I have a pair of bookshelf dayton speakers on tall stands which I plan on replacing with Floor Standing DIY Speakers and a Topping PA3 Amplifier

I used to own a Denon D2000 headphones but sold it years ago, there is no going back when you get to hear how open a OpenBack Design headphone is.

In terms of music it is indeed true not all style of music is designed for audiophile listening especially not modern music.

My favorite selection of music is usually from people like Zeos when he does reviews on his channel

yosi horikawa has excellent music for enjoyment of Audiophile equipment, tho my all time favorite artist for this hobby remains to be Lana Del Rey, something to note is smoking Cannabis completely changes the experience of music listening it boosts it to levels that is beyond what high end audio equipment can achieve. If all is combined it is an experience of a lifetime.

if you like you can check out massdrop for amazing deals get the HD6XX or HD58X if you interested in knowing what the limit of human hearing is like.

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » March 30th, 2020, 1:36 pm

Thanks ED... glad to see HiFi is alive in T&T... Russel... I remember long ago men had Sansui and Kenwood top end stuff.

I started HiFi last year after giving car audio SQ a rest. I did some open baffle DIY floorstanders coupled with NAD and Behringer amps. But it takes alot of processing to get the peaks subdued via DSP with the open baffle.

I have since gotten some Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers on stands and the Sound is very detailed and tonal accuracy and imaging is amazing with the NAD 326Bee.

I am thinking of upgrading the amplifier but reading online that the Japanese amplifiers tend to be more technical sounding while the European amps are warmer and natural sounding. Any experience from you guys would be appreciated...

User avatar
Rovin
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5201
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: Heart of Chaguanas ...

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Rovin » March 30th, 2020, 1:42 pm

for a car audio SQish guy like myself i always say i go do a lil something for in home listening but never got around to it ...

User avatar
ru$$ell
18 pounds of Boost
Posts: 2478
Joined: August 4th, 2003, 10:01 am
Location: one up....

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby ru$$ell » March 30th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Gladiator wrote:Thanks ED... glad to see HiFi is alive in T&T... Russel... I remember long ago men had Sansui and Kenwood top end stuff.



nah,i'm speaking of "price for downpayment of a house" kinda high end :|

Image

The best setup i've ever heard in my life, 804 Diamonds

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9651
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 30th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Gladiator wrote:Thanks ED... glad to see HiFi is alive in T&T... Russel... I remember long ago men had Sansui and Kenwood top end stuff.

I started HiFi last year after giving car audio SQ a rest. I did some open baffle DIY floorstanders coupled with NAD and Behringer amps. But it takes alot of processing to get the peaks subdued via DSP with the open baffle.

I have since gotten some Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers on stands and the Sound is very detailed and tonal accuracy and imaging is amazing with the NAD 326Bee.

I am thinking of upgrading the amplifier but reading online that the Japanese amplifiers tend to be more technical sounding while the European amps are warmer and natural sounding. Any experience from you guys would be appreciated...


There are the DIY Overnight Sensation speaker kit you can buy and assemble and save a lot of money from the reviews I saw they are cheap and sound incredibly good.

There is also the floor standing DIY aswell which I wanna build myself you can get all speaker parts very cheap from parts express website which is where I shop.

Audiophile grade quality can be had on a budget these days, but some people take this hobby too far and fool themselves into thinking more money = better sound quality.

There is something known as confirmation bias, never believe all those nonsense subjective reviews claiming that audio cables make a difference or expensive DAC makes a difference there is none, any you hear is simply conformation boas.

There is a legendary guy known as NwAvGuy (North West Audio Video Guy) he is an electrical engineer from the pacific north west in North America who was active on the snake oil scam website known as Head Fi a very famous website. He exposed their scams showing the so called "golden ears" independent reviewers were paid shills for audio companies. He proved that all these phaggots claiming they had golden ears were liars because there is something seriously wrong with a 60 year old phaggot telling you a 20 something year old person how good a pair of headphone or speaker sounds, he used SCIENCE to show these phaggots no longer hear the upper and lower frequency of the 20hz to 20kz range, he proved via blind and or double blind test the gold standard of scientific testing that every single one of these lying snake oil audiophile phaggots had FAILED the blind listening test the $2000 Golden rated DAC put up against a $2 cheap motherboard DAC and the phaggots couldn't tell the difference.

He created what was known as the ODAC using his own Open Source Design for a fraction of the price that big audio companies charged and he completely destroyed everyone in the industry proving how the audiophile industry is a big SCAM.

After this fiasco head fi administrator and owner JUDE put up a new disclaimer in the TOS where he states Scientific Evidence is BANNED from head fi and is relegated to some sub section of the forum where nobody could see. He then proceeded to ban NwAvGuy permanently for bursting the bubble of the HiFi industry. This wasn't enough they then sent hired thugs the mafia to harass and threaten NwAvGuy to disappear they tracked him down and either killed him or threatened him to disappear and since then he was never heard from again.

So golden rule of thumb never spend more than $100 for a DAC or $100 for headphone Amplifier, you can also get a very solid Topping PA3 amp for $100 USD that is going to have insane clean power. right now the HD6XX is the limit of human hearing and is only $195 USD on Mass Drop also known as drop.com for everything else check out parts express and their forums.
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on March 30th, 2020, 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin
Posts: 22980
Joined: March 24th, 2003, 10:27 am
Location: T&T
Contact:

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 30th, 2020, 2:10 pm

There's a Home Theatre thread with some home HiFi discussion in it
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=281327&start=5400&hilit=home+theatre

But a dedicated HiFi thread is a good idea

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9651
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 30th, 2020, 2:22 pm

To continue from my previous rant, the nasty stinking lying audiophile phaggots then turned on NwAvGuy and accused him of spreading "hate" because according to them Science has no role in Audio Engineering but what they really meant was they felt like complete retards having spent their life savings on useless high end audio equipment in the range of thousands of US dollars only to realize he was right and they now had to justify this wastage of money.

If you ask any audiophile working for review magazines and websites even youtube to do a BLIND or double blind LISTENING TEST about 95% of them will make up some excuse why they can't or would try to say it isn't reliable even tho it is the gold standard of scientific testing.

Fun fact even a cheap $20 USD DAC sounds the same as a $1 million USD DAC. Where you would notice a difference is if it is onboard DAC on a otherboard as badly implemented DAC on PC Mainboards can have degraded audio quality but just to show you how far we have come even an old built in iphone 5 DAC sounds no different than a $1 million USD DAC. You can't even tell the difference also the phaggots on head fi will tell you that you need a headphone amp a dedicated one to reproduce the full music and show the true potential of the headphone which again is a lie, all it does is amplify a signal it does nothing else.

NOW if you are talking about listening test for speakers and headphones that is a totally different ball game as upgrading speakers and headphones account for 95% of audio quality, but again HD6XX is the limit of human hearing, buying a planar headphone for $2000 USD is stupid

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » March 30th, 2020, 3:02 pm

That's some serious speakers there boy... Parasound amp on the rack?

ru$$ell wrote:
Gladiator wrote:Thanks ED... glad to see HiFi is alive in T&T... Russel... I remember long ago men had Sansui and Kenwood top end stuff.



nah,i'm speaking of "price for downpayment of a house" kinda high end :|

Image

The best setup i've ever heard in my life, 804 Diamonds

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » March 30th, 2020, 3:18 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:To continue from my previous rant, the nasty stinking lying audiophile phaggots then turned on NwAvGuy and accused him of spreading "hate" because according to them Science has no role in Audio Engineering but what they really meant was they felt like complete retards having spent their life savings on useless high end audio equipment in the range of thousands of US dollars only to realize he was right and they now had to justify this wastage of money.

If you ask any audiophile working for review magazines and websites even youtube to do a BLIND or double blind LISTENING TEST about 95% of them will make up some excuse why they can't or would try to say it isn't reliable even tho it is the gold standard of scientific testing.

Fun fact even a cheap $20 USD DAC sounds the same as a $1 million USD DAC. Where you would notice a difference is if it is onboard DAC on a otherboard as badly implemented DAC on PC Mainboards can have degraded audio quality but just to show you how far we have come even an old built in iphone 5 DAC sounds no different than a $1 million USD DAC. You can't even tell the difference also the phaggots on head fi will tell you that you need a headphone amp a dedicated one to reproduce the full music and show the true potential of the headphone which again is a lie, all it does is amplify a signal it does nothing else.

NOW if you are talking about listening test for speakers and headphones that is a totally different ball game as upgrading speakers and headphones account for 95% of audio quality, but again HD6XX is the limit of human hearing, buying a planar headphone for $2000 USD is stupid


This is the kind of argument that I am seeing all over the net... you have some that believe price must be high to get quality then others that use more objective methods of testing and analysis...

But there is also a grey area that confuses the bullcrap out of me. For example the amplifiers mentioned above... why does a US$600 50W NAD amplifier sound more pleasing than a 120W US$1000 Yamaha amplifier, although the Yamaha has more power and is much better constructed. Bench tests show they both do the same thing but listening tests result in something different.

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » March 30th, 2020, 3:25 pm

Rovin wrote:for a car audio SQish guy like myself i always say i go do a lil something for in home listening but never got around to it ...


That's the mistake I made several years ago... I should have put HiFi first then car audio. The HiFi gives you a good reference point for staging and imaging that you can then use to build on and tune the car.

User avatar
Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin
Posts: 22980
Joined: March 24th, 2003, 10:27 am
Location: T&T
Contact:

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 31st, 2020, 12:13 am


User avatar
shogun
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 13531
Joined: May 6th, 2008, 12:24 pm
Location: Gone Rogue.

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby shogun » March 31st, 2020, 12:26 am

Wow.

Dude has dope taste in music too. I need the 2nd/3rd tracks in my life, soon.

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » March 31st, 2020, 1:00 am

Got the chance to go to CES in January. Visited and demoed some of the audio rooms. Morel, SVS, Definitive Technologies, golden ear, Polk audio and some new brands.

SVS was very disappointing they had 2 rooms one for hi-fi (2 different systems) and the other for HT. The HT was very good though. But just not a HiFi brand.

The Morel speakers were pretty good but huge and the setup was over $200k USD with Esoteric amps.

Definitive tech was ok... but nothing stood out. Some of the floorstanders didn't sound that great.

The best sounding was a pair of powered bell shaped speakers that an old American guy demoed. They didn't look like anything special but the sound was out of this world. The realism was nothing I have ever heard and the source was a bloddy I phone with a headphone jack into a stereo RCA...lol

He is an Electrical Engineer that invented them himself and put 30+ years into it. The low end response was unbelievable and they were extremely transparent. USD$3000 was the price at the show. I see the website have $3500

https://rembrandtaudio.com/pages/rembrandt-model-v-copy
IMG_20200110_115811.jpeg
Last edited by Gladiator on March 31st, 2020, 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » March 31st, 2020, 1:04 am

Also heard this set up from a Korean guy. The system cost $36000usd plus shipping. The sound was very accurate and real. Excellent imaging and staging. But the system was super complicated. Wife would not approve...LOL

These independent inventors/entrepreneur type fellas really out shined the big brands. The amps he had running the system was like USD$20K each though.

IMG_20200110_113853.jpeg
IMG_20200110_113850.jpeg

User avatar
X_Factor
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9283
Joined: April 27th, 2003, 5:54 pm
Location: St. Augustine
Contact:

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby X_Factor » March 31st, 2020, 11:08 pm

saw someone selling a NAD 3130 on fb
even though its considered low power now, it should handle some bookshelf speakers pretty good

anyone interested in a pair of KrK rokit 8 inch studio monitors?

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » April 1st, 2020, 8:57 am

Those NAD amplifiers are a different animal...I have one rated 50 w X 2 but it sounds more like 150x2

User avatar
EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 9651
Joined: April 1st, 2010, 3:17 pm

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » April 1st, 2020, 10:03 am

Those super duper audiophile equipment are very very nice on paper no doubt about that, unfortunately the reality is you wouldn't detect an audible difference if you compared it to something for a fraction of the price.

I think the cut off point is somewhere around $5,000 USD for everything from DAC to AMP to Speakers to reach the limit of human hearing. After that you are essentially paying for marketing

Another thing to note with loud speakers room design and placement of speakers from where you sit is as important as the actual quality of said speakers themselves. You throw in smoked marijuana ontop of that and you have basically an experience of a lifetime, if you never experienced music under the influence of THC you are missing out big time.

16 cycles
punchin NOS
Posts: 4869
Joined: May 10th, 2003, 9:25 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby 16 cycles » April 1st, 2020, 10:17 am

Gladiator wrote:That's some serious speakers there boy... Parasound amp on the rack?



yup @ Parasound...

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » April 1st, 2020, 10:11 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:Those super duper audiophile equipment are very very nice on paper no doubt about that, unfortunately the reality is you wouldn't detect an audible difference if you compared it to something for a fraction of the price.

I think the cut off point is somewhere around $5,000 USD for everything from DAC to AMP to Speakers to reach the limit of human hearing. After that you are essentially paying for marketing

Another thing to note with loud speakers room design and placement of speakers from where you sit is as important as the actual quality of said speakers themselves. You throw in smoked marijuana ontop of that and you have basically an experience of a lifetime, if you never experienced music under the influence of THC you are missing out big time.


I hear yuh ED... they argue that the high price is to pay for the R&D... while that is bs in many cases it may hold some merit for the one man type companies like the Rmbrandt guy

User avatar
Rovin
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5201
Joined: January 23rd, 2014, 1:14 pm
Location: Heart of Chaguanas ...

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Rovin » November 1st, 2020, 10:25 pm


User avatar
wana-B-racer
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 767
Joined: June 23rd, 2003, 9:00 am
Location: Monkey Town

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby wana-B-racer » November 3rd, 2020, 6:19 pm

Good day All
H I'm looking for a 2.1 channel system for my sitting room TV. I recently acquired a vintage Marantz 4400 that i was going to use with some floor standing speakers but decided on a modern setup with maybe a bookshelf and sub combo. I'm trying to be as minimalistic as possible. Was looking at the SVS wireless sound base and I like the Jamo C103's. i can always choose a sub later on or maybe not according to how it sounds in the space I will have it in.

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » November 3rd, 2020, 8:16 pm

wana-B-racer wrote:Good day All
H I'm looking for a 2.1 channel system for my sitting room TV. I recently acquired a vintage Marantz 4400 that i was going to use with some floor standing speakers but decided on a modern setup with maybe a bookshelf and sub combo. I'm trying to be as minimalistic as possible. Was looking at the SVS wireless sound base and I like the Jamo C103's. i can always choose a sub later on or maybe not according to how it sounds in the space I will have it in.


I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 100 speakers (Walnut Finish) with stands. If you interested PM me...

User avatar
Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin
Posts: 22980
Joined: March 24th, 2003, 10:27 am
Location: T&T
Contact:

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 4th, 2020, 8:49 am

wana-B-racer wrote:Good day All
H I'm looking for a 2.1 channel system for my sitting room TV. I recently acquired a vintage Marantz 4400 that i was going to use with some floor standing speakers but decided on a modern setup with maybe a bookshelf and sub combo. I'm trying to be as minimalistic as possible. Was looking at the SVS wireless sound base and I like the Jamo C103's. i can always choose a sub later on or maybe not according to how it sounds in the space I will have it in.

Marantz is a great brand
You opting not to use it?

User avatar
mero
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5564
Joined: September 29th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Location: iymc

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby mero » November 4th, 2020, 11:51 am

Looking for some bookshelf L+R speaker replacements myself..

Wouldn't mind some nice towers as well.

Not feeling to go brand new either

@Gladiator or anyone.. what y'all got?

Not a very large room. Was looking at the NHT Super zero 2.1 as replacements, my pb1000 subwoofer , bass is way sufficient

Gladiator
punchin NOS
Posts: 2764
Joined: April 20th, 2006, 9:43 am

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Gladiator » November 4th, 2020, 9:50 pm

mero wrote:Looking for some bookshelf L+R speaker replacements myself..

Wouldn't mind some nice towers as well.

Not feeling to go brand new either

@Gladiator or anyone.. what y'all got?

Not a very large room. Was looking at the NHT Super zero 2.1 as replacements, my pb1000 subwoofer , bass is way sufficient


Hey mero... I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 100 Walnut Finish. They are less than 6 months old. I not getting time to enjoy it since I currently doing construction at home.

User avatar
mero
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5564
Joined: September 29th, 2008, 6:16 pm
Location: iymc

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby mero » November 5th, 2020, 10:35 am

Gladiator wrote:
mero wrote:Looking for some bookshelf L+R speaker replacements myself..

Wouldn't mind some nice towers as well.

Not feeling to go brand new either

@Gladiator or anyone.. what y'all got?

Not a very large room. Was looking at the NHT Super zero 2.1 as replacements, my pb1000 subwoofer , bass is way sufficient


Hey mero... I have a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 100 Walnut Finish. They are less than 6 months old. I not getting time to enjoy it since I currently doing construction at home.
Lawdamercy..allyuh fellas eh making joke yes ... now peep the brand new price dey...

Check pm.

User avatar
wana-B-racer
3NE2NR is my LIFE
Posts: 767
Joined: June 23rd, 2003, 9:00 am
Location: Monkey Town

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby wana-B-racer » November 5th, 2020, 2:14 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
wana-B-racer wrote:Good day All
H I'm looking for a 2.1 channel system for my sitting room TV. I recently acquired a vintage Marantz 4400 that i was going to use with some floor standing speakers but decided on a modern setup with maybe a bookshelf and sub combo. I'm trying to be as minimalistic as possible. Was looking at the SVS wireless sound base and I like the Jamo C103's. i can always choose a sub later on or maybe not according to how it sounds in the space I will have it in.

Marantz is a great brand
You opting not to use it?

Image

Only reason im not using it is the space i have allocated is very small, maybe 18" wide X 12" high X 12" in depth so thats why im looking for compact pieces

User avatar
Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin
Posts: 22980
Joined: March 24th, 2003, 10:27 am
Location: T&T
Contact:

Re: Official HiFi Thread

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » November 5th, 2020, 5:54 pm

wana-B-racer wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:
wana-B-racer wrote:Good day All
H I'm looking for a 2.1 channel system for my sitting room TV. I recently acquired a vintage Marantz 4400 that i was going to use with some floor standing speakers but decided on a modern setup with maybe a bookshelf and sub combo. I'm trying to be as minimalistic as possible. Was looking at the SVS wireless sound base and I like the Jamo C103's. i can always choose a sub later on or maybe not according to how it sounds in the space I will have it in.

Marantz is a great brand
You opting not to use it?

Image

Only reason im not using it is the space i have allocated is very small, maybe 18" wide X 12" high X 12" in depth so thats why im looking for compact pieces

Nice!!!
Is that tile on the wall or wall paper?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 104 guests