Forums

customs: individual brokerage for single items

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sMASH
TunerGod

customs: individual brokerage for single items

Postby sMASH » March 4th, 2020, 9:39 am

tl/dr every single item coming into the country will be bonded, require brokerage so a wait time will be incurred and an ADDITIONAL brokerage fee.

great is the PNM!!!

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Re: customs: individual brokerage for single items

Postby boxy » March 4th, 2020, 9:48 am

From what I understand this has to do with the courier companies bringing in excess of their bond liability and being warned on numerous occasions about it I could be off but customs gives alot of leeway and people overdo it

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 4th, 2020, 9:56 am

this mashing up skybox / seabox?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 4th, 2020, 10:00 am

Would this even worth a broker's time? Broker's fees are pretty small % wise as they supposed to charge based on the CIF values. Based on the Broker's Act I am seeing 2% as the biggest fee percentage/

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » March 4th, 2020, 10:01 am

The simple truth is that the authorities have implemented a new mandate and the resultant process change is going to create serious delivery delays.
Unfortunately, the process change is going to put more pressure on an already sluggish customs system which is known to the authorities.
Courier shipments could under the previous system be cleared within 2 days which in most cases means the shipment is accompanied by documents.The new system would now require infront entry submissions to avoid delays and rent etc.
3 day delivery easily could get up to 7 working days even without valuation queries.
BTW DHL, FEDEX and other courier companies may see regular customers just move to standard air-freight.

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 4th, 2020, 10:08 am

Brokers fee small? Probably for 20k usd shipments they charging 2% but they not charging you anything less than $500 to go clear a small item.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 4th, 2020, 10:10 am

boxy wrote:From what I understand this has to do with the courier companies bringing in excess of their bond liability and being warned on numerous occasions about it I could be off but customs gives alot of leeway and people overdo it

the measures would have a significant effect on them cause that is basically what their business model relies upon, but its not limited to them.
skybox or no skybox, is the citizen that will have to pay more, cause every ting can get accommodated, just put a cost to it.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » March 4th, 2020, 10:13 am

Customs simply don't have the man power to deal with these new changes. Also fees on the whole will go up as a broker's signature is required for all entries.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 4th, 2020, 10:14 am

Phone Surgeon wrote:Brokers fee small? Probably for 20k usd shipments they charging 2% but they not charging you anything less than $500 to go clear a small item.

so when u bring in a fone, thats an additional 500 on top of what was being paid previously? so u bring in a 50 us fone, thats like 350 tt, that cost like 200 blanket sky box cost(being conservative cause recently i got a 400 skybox fee for a fone, buss bad on it), and then a 500 brokerage...
so now, the citizen will hadda pay over a grand for a 50 dollar US fone.

i bring in some fittings that was hard to find here, now u saying i might have to pay 500 additional for a lil 5 dollar US item? each?
Last edited by sMASH on March 4th, 2020, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » March 4th, 2020, 10:24 am

I really wondering who sit down at that meeting and decided to do this, like had such a brilliant idea and decided this is the way forward for this country. Who is the chaired jackass who said "yeah lewe do this a f*ck up the place some more. And after it blow up, grind the country's imports to a halt and create massive black markets for every category of goods for regular taxpayers and frustrates the entire population.... hmm... we go just tell the Minister to blame Kamla in the press meeting."

And then the rest of dem sitting down round that table and said "Yeah this sounding good, sign the page dey, it starting tmrw."

I wish i could see these shitheads.

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » March 4th, 2020, 10:31 am

This is a bit bigger than what you guys making it out to be. I am fairly certain the skybox/express businesses were abusing their respective bond quantams and were warned about it and still continued which caused this. The top brass of customs didn't just invoke this overnight. And notice that none of the courier services kicking brass instantly like they did when the online fee was introduced a few years ago.

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » March 4th, 2020, 10:33 am

anyone bring in anything as of late? what the damage like?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » March 4th, 2020, 10:51 am

sMASH wrote:
Phone Surgeon wrote:Brokers fee small? Probably for 20k usd shipments they charging 2% but they not charging you anything less than $500 to go clear a small item.

so when u bring in a fone, thats an additional 500 on top of what was being paid previously? so u bring in a 50 us fone, thats like 350 tt, that cost like 200 blanket sky box cost(being conservative cause recently i got a 400 skybox fee for a fone, buss bad on it), and then a 500 brokerage...
so now, the citizen will hadda pay over a grand for a 50 dollar US fone.

i bring in some fittings that was hard to find here, now u saying i might have to pay 500 additional for a lil 5 dollar US item? each?

i think this only applies for people who have business names registered for their skybox

but they are also strictly enforcing anything that needed food and drug license or permits or anything like that

normally the skybox would clear in mass quantity and customs eh looking twice

now they jamming everything and everybody

but again, i dont think PERSONAL imports are affected.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 4th, 2020, 11:02 am

thats the thing, 'think' 'assume' 'presume' when the black and white does not differentiate, it leaves the interpretation and application to the trini with the badge on duty. from that video, there is no distinction between items for a company and items for an individual. the merit was that each item under 20k was waived forward, and they are trying to earn money from that now.

did not specify that individuals will continue to be waived forward, and that only businesses will be bonded and individually charged.

in either event, it drives up cost, not value.

if it only drive up cost to the businesses, they will have to pass that on, and that will stagnate the economy further.

im not looking at it from my perspective alone as a skybox user, im looking at it in the general business sense as well as the effect it will have on the ease of living in trinidad. cause when more businesses struggling, its more pressure for them to find money, and might just close up, fire their workers, their workers break in ur house.

toyolink
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby toyolink » March 4th, 2020, 11:13 am

Yes, all cargo brought in by both personal or companies is affected, and the tt$20,000 cap has been suspended.
The issue of bonded couriers abusing prescribed provisions has not been raised when the new direction was provided 3-4 weeks ago and certainly concerns as they relate to this possibility are better resolved by dealing with the specific entities and not putting all importers in further peril.
Up to last week ABL and other bonds in a mess.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 4th, 2020, 11:21 am

so basically hold off any personal imports until this settle?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 4th, 2020, 11:23 am

i have stuff delayed due to the new years, and then corona... its in transit. vid mentioned that people just abandoned stuff... i did that once cause ttpost being stupid. might hadda do it again depending on fees.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » March 4th, 2020, 11:41 am

The fees are legally enshrined in the Broker's Act. You can check the schedule and see wat your fees supposed to be.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » March 4th, 2020, 12:00 pm

Can't help but think (given customs unpreparedness to deal with the situation) that this thing has been implemented as a sort of short-man...ah mean "smart man" way to reduce the demand for forex.

If things become that much more expensive a significant chunk of discretionary purchases from small to medium entities in the private sector gonna fall off a cliff leaving more US$ for the big boys...:|
Last edited by hydroep on March 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » March 4th, 2020, 12:01 pm

Try bringing in an air conditioner that has the new gases in it.. alot of those fking morons in customs are not fimilar with the new standard and emerging changes in GAses and they will hold your item for Months , even when you have provided all literature for them to go along with it....they just too friking lazy and dont have time to read all dat so they leave your items right there..meanwhile you are incurring rent.
This place really going backwards! :roll:

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » March 4th, 2020, 12:03 pm

hydroep wrote:Can't help but think (given customs unpreparedness to deal with the situation) that this thing has been implemented as a sort of short-man...ah mean "smart man" way to reduce the demand for forex.

If things become that much more expensive a significant chunk of discretionary purchases from small to medium entities in the private sector gonna fall off a cliff leaving for US$ for the big boys...:|

Link: https://tradeind.gov.tt/wp-content/uplo ... -78.03.pdf

SECOND SCHEDULE
CUSTOMS BROKERS’ FEES
RATES FOR EACH IMPORT ENTRY
CATEGORY I—FOOD
(a) Inputs for manufacturing and packaging (except controlled food items)—
For the first $15.00 c.i.f. value … 2% of the c.i.f. value
For the next $10,000 c.i.f. value … 11/2% of the c.i.f. value
For the next $100,000 c.i.f. value 1% of the c.i.f. value
For the next $125,000 c.i.f. value 3/4% of the c.i.f. value
plus $10.00 per Bill of Lading or Airway Bill plus $10.00 for documentation.
Provided that where such inputs are warehoused on first importation, each
subsequent withdrawal shall attract a fee of $40.00 only.
(b) Controlled food items—
For the first $50,000 c.i.f. value … 1% of the c.i.f. value
For the next $75,000 c.i.f. value … 3/4% of the c.i.f. value
For the next $125,000 c.i.f. value 1/2% of the c.i.f. value
Provided that where such controlled food items are warehoused on first
importation such subsequent withdrawal shall attract a fee of $40.00 only.
(c) Non-controlled food items—
For the first $15,000 c.i.f. value … 2% of the c.i.f. value
For the next $10,000 c.i.f. value… 11/2% of the c.i.f. value
For the next $100,000 c.i.f. value 1% of the c.i.f. value
For the next $125,000 c.i.f. value 3/4% of the c.i.f. value
CATEGORY II—OTHER CONTROLLED ITEMS
Rates to be fixed when items are Gazetted.
CATEGORY III—ALL OTHER GOODS
For the first $25,000 c.i.f. value … 2% of the c.i.f. value
For the next $100,000 c.i.f. value … 11/2% of the c.i.f. value
For the next $125,000 c.i.f. value … 1% of the c.i.f. value
CATEGORY IV—GOODS ON ONE ENTRY EXCEEDING $250,000
C.I.F. VALUE
The first $250,000 c.i.f. value subject to the respective sliding rates above
and the remaining value by negotiation between importer and broker.
Regulation 14.
MINISTRY OF LEGAL AFFAIRS www.legalaffairs.gov.tt
UPDATED TO DECEMBER 31ST 2007
LAWS OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
22 Chap. 78:03 Customs Brokers and Customs Clerks
[Subsidiary] Customs Brokers and Customs Clerks Regulations
CATEGORY V—GOODS CLEARED EX-WAREHOUSE
With the exception of CATEGORY I—FOOD—(a) and (b) the rates shall
be in accordance with the respective category into which the goods fall.
CATEGORY VI—MOTOR VEHICLES
(a) Assembled motor vehicles … $30.00 per unit
(b) C.K.D. motor vehicles … $25.00 per unit
CATEGORY VII—LIVE ANIMALS
(a) Race horses … $40.00 per head
(b) Ordinary horses, asses, mules, cattle $15.00 per head
(c) Animals, all other … $5.00 per head
Provided that in addition to the rates above all animals subject to
quarantine shall be surcharged $15.00 for the first animal plus $5.00 for each
additional animal.
CATEGORY VIII—PERSONAL AND HOUSEHOLD EFFECTS
Personal and household effects admitted
as such by the Comptroller of
Customs and Excise … $10.00 per warrant
plus $45.00 for each
container of 400 cu. ft.
and over.

wagonrunner
TriniTuner 24-7
Location: Distancing myself from those who want to raid the barn but eh want to plant the corn.

Postby wagonrunner » March 4th, 2020, 12:13 pm

lots of abandoned items in the bond (cost of clearing exceeds value of item)
customs officers enjoy lagniappe
maybe some items make it to sale / auction
1980's all over again, except its 40years later, and the rest of the world accelerates while we're stuck.

"big bad businesses raising prices" due to these fees (brokerage, admin, bond rent)

carluva
Shifting into 6th

Postby carluva » March 4th, 2020, 12:17 pm

Who is responsible for implementing this change? Where has it come form - is it abuse of privileges, misapplication of the law or something else covert? Has anyone in a position of authority or knowledge offered any insight?
sMASH wrote:

tl/dr every single item coming into the country will be bonded, require brokerage so a wait time will be incurred and an ADDITIONAL brokerage fee.

great is the PNM!!!

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 4th, 2020, 12:52 pm

from that schedule, for simple items, it seems there will be $20 + the 2% for customs, and then what ever storage rental and what the broker will charge... have no idea how much a broker will charge to clear a ssd or a fancy toy.

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » March 4th, 2020, 1:03 pm

like someone trying hard to make sure the Multi million dollar exotic car spite the rest ah d population ..........

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » March 4th, 2020, 1:16 pm

carluva wrote:Who is responsible for implementing this change? Where has it come form - is it abuse of privileges, misapplication of the law or something else covert? Has anyone in a position of authority or knowledge offered any insight?
sMASH wrote:

great is the PNM!!!
PNM in charge bro

Ben_spanna
punchin NOS

Postby Ben_spanna » March 4th, 2020, 11:00 pm

And still , regardless of which party has been in power , customs duties still can’t be paid using a credit card, their Linx machine always down and they never have fking change, someone explain me that. All a pack of thieving retarded fvckholes.

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » March 5th, 2020, 4:32 am

Gr8 is the pnm!!!!!

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 5th, 2020, 6:49 am

doh worry,
this change will help them find all them ar15(made in usa) and glocks(made in austria) that coming through everyday

boxy
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby boxy » March 5th, 2020, 8:05 am

Air condition units cannot be imported/cleared without an import Licence This falls under the Ministry of Trade - Licence unit
Customs won't release your goods without the presentation of said Licence. They don't need to read literature u provide as that is not within their purvue. Try to get your Licence sorted before it arrives similarly to what is Done with cars.
Ben_spanna wrote:Try bringing in an air conditioner that has the new gases in it.. alot of those fking morons in customs are not fimilar with the new standard and emerging changes in GAses and they will hold your item for Months , even when you have provided all literature for them to go along with it....they just too friking lazy and dont have time to read all dat so they leave your items right there..meanwhile you are incurring rent.
This place really going backwards! :roll:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”