Forums

Curepe Taxi fares To Increase From 28/2/2020

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Curepe Taxi fares To Increase From 28/2/2020

Postby bluefete » February 28th, 2020, 3:51 pm

I am still trying to process that excuse.

Taxi-drivers warn: Curepe fares going up
FEBRUARY 27, 2020

Passengers commuting between Port of Spain and Curepe/Tunapuna can expect an increase in taxi fares from this weekend.

This was disclosed by president of the Port of Spain to Curepe Taxi-Drivers Association Hayden Whiskey, who said fares were restructured after an advisory was issued by the Transport Division (Licensing) of the Ministry of Works and Transport earlier this year.

The advisory indicated certain types of vehicles such as the Nissan Serena, Toyota Voxy and Toyota Noah are only permitted to carry six passengers. As a result, the authority said those vehicles carrying more than the permitted number would be charged with overloading.

In response, the association has restructured its fares around the six-passenger limit. For those travelling from Port of Spain to Curepe, the previous $7 fare has been increased to $9. The association has also reopened its route from Port of Spain to Tunapuna with an $11 fare.

“The Curepe/Tunapuna Taxi-Drivers Association will be increasing their fare from the 28th of February 2020, based on the information we received in an advisory from the Licensing Office. The Licensing Authority has advised that the popular choice of transport, the Serena, Voxy and the Noah, based on the laws of Trinidad and Tobago, can only carry six passengers legally.”

“Come Monday, March 2, the law enforcement arm of the Licensing Authority and the police will be stopping anyone with seven passengers and giving them a ticket and demerit points for overloading. As a result, the Port of Spain to Curepe Taxi-Drivers’ Association has made a decision that we are going to restructure our fare to carry six passengers,“ he said.

Passengers get heads-up

Whiskey told the Express other taxi-drivers’ associations were likely to follow suit to avoid receiving demerit points.

He pointed out the increase in fares did not increase profits, but compensated for the loss of a passenger in the midst of a difficult economic climate.

“There would be and there should be an effect nationwide as we are all affected by this. Drivers have been absorbing costs since the removal of fuel subsidies. With an increase in price, there’s also maintenance and other factors, and truthfully, we cannot continue to absorb these costs,” he said.

In a statement released on the association’s Facebook page, passengers were urged to take note of the fare change to avoid complications.

“Commuters, especially those who utilise our service, please be aware of this impending change. It will affect all taxis of this nature nationwide. Please share to prevent yourselves and others from becoming a “volunteer” to be put out on the side of the road.”

trinidadexpress.com/business/local/taxi-drivers-warn-curepe-fares-going-up/article_ee022e7e-59c2-11ea-be0f-03e29818854e.html

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Re: Curepe Taxi fares To Increase From 28/2/2020

Postby thelem-again » February 28th, 2020, 3:55 pm

He pointed out the increase in fares did not increase profits, but compensated for the loss of a passenger in the midst of a difficult economic climate

Blasted greed. You losing out on one passenger and want to increase the fare??

And I saw nothing about it being limited to "7 seater vehicles only", therefore fares being raise in normal 4 seaters as well?

I'm not a travelling commuter but this is non-sense. Guess this is what happens when you live in a country without regulatory bodies with "associations/unions that regulate themselves.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 28th, 2020, 4:55 pm

so how much passengers those vehicles used to carry? right now POS to Arima is $10 but there already was an increase with the last gas price hike. they better not increase it again.

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 28th, 2020, 5:06 pm

They will increase it, trinidadians will make some noise, then line up on the stand normal.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » February 28th, 2020, 5:32 pm

The_Honourable wrote:They will increase it, trinidadians will make some noise, then line up on the stand normal.

Hahahahah exactly.

Dey too damn dotish with dey dotish self.

Come on Trinis, pay that sheit.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » February 28th, 2020, 6:19 pm

The_Honourable wrote:They will increase it, trinidadians will make some noise, then line up on the stand normal.

i will start back taking maxi

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 28th, 2020, 6:43 pm

It's a 7 seater
6 passengers and 1 driver
So where was the 8th person sitting?

Untitled-4.jpg

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 28th, 2020, 6:52 pm

thelem-again wrote:
He pointed out the increase in fares did not increase profits, but compensated for the loss of a passenger in the midst of a difficult economic climate

And I saw nothing about it being limited to "7 seater vehicles only", therefore fares being raise in normal 4 seaters as well?

I'm not a travelling commuter but this is non-sense. Guess this is what happens when you live in a country without regulatory bodies with "associations/unions that regulate themselves.

Correct, but fares have to increase across the board. Because if the increase doesn't apply to 4 seaters so they cheaper to travel wit, all the drivers with the listed vehicles would ketch dey ass to pull a trip. Couple that with the fact that many still paying for their vehicles, and the amount of mileage and wear they put on them working taxi, rapidly depreciating them, if they can't pay their loans and banks repo those vehicles dem drivers would still be on the hook.

But dis is allyuh pee on em guavamint, allyuh vote fuh dat, and allyuh like it so.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » February 28th, 2020, 6:53 pm

Elll oh elllll

wickedtuna
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby wickedtuna » February 28th, 2020, 7:13 pm

They usually put 3 at the back 3 in the middle and the driver and 1 passenger at the front .....
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:It's a 7 seater
6 passengers and 1 driver
So where was the 8th person sitting?

Untitled-4.jpg

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 28th, 2020, 7:40 pm

lol so they reducing passengers and raising the fare to compensate, but yet no word of passenger safety like seat-belts for all passengers. Inertia does stop by magic after the front seat ent? What about child seats for baby passengers? As registered taxi drivers, should they all not have a child seat in the trunk to attach to a regular seat for when there is need to buckle up a child? Nothing wrong with paying a passenger fare for that safety service. Trinidad forever have backward sheit laws that never protect its citizens eh?

And they eh talk about how taxi drivers always speeding and zig zagging like Mad Max hog warriors? They culling the traditional jackass taxi driving with this fare raise? If Arrive Alive ever needs proof for their campaign, just follow a POS/Curepe to Sando taxi at any hour with a dashcam.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » February 28th, 2020, 8:03 pm

All this for elite to make more money

hustla_ambition101
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hustla_ambition101 » February 28th, 2020, 8:36 pm

88sins wrote:
thelem-again wrote:

Correct, but fares have to increase across the board. Because if the increase doesn't apply to 4 seaters so they cheaper to travel wit, all the drivers with the listed vehicles would ketch dey ass to pull a trip. Couple that with the fact that many still paying for their vehicles, and the amount of mileage and wear they put on them working taxi, rapidly depreciating them, if they can't pay their loans and banks repo those vehicles dem drivers would still be on the hook.

But dis is allyuh pee on em guavamint, allyuh vote fuh dat, and allyuh like it so.
JA comment tbh. If a manufacturer specifies a certain capacity how is it the fault of any gov't to enforce such. Majority of them got CNG kits free courtesy the same gov't and spending less on fuel. How much income taxes they paying on a yearly basis because we all know that they earning beyond the allowance

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 28th, 2020, 8:59 pm

maj. tom wrote:... Inertia does stop by magic after the front seat ent? ...

Momentum

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » February 28th, 2020, 9:14 pm

Allyuh feel curtains and smirnoff cheap? Yuh hadda pay for the armbeeaunce.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 28th, 2020, 10:09 pm

maj. tom wrote:lol so they reducing passengers and raising the fare to compensate, but yet no word of passenger safety like seat-belts for all passengers. Inertia does stop by magic after the front seat ent? What about child seats for baby passengers? As registered taxi drivers, should they all not have a child seat in the trunk to attach to a regular seat for when there is need to buckle up a child? Nothing wrong with paying a passenger fare for that safety service. Trinidad forever have backward sheit laws that never protect its citizens eh?

And they eh talk about how taxi drivers always speeding and zig zagging like Mad Max hog warriors? They culling the traditional jackass taxi driving with this fare raise? If Arrive Alive ever needs proof for their campaign, just follow a POS/Curepe to Sando taxi at any hour with a dashcam.

those vehicles come with seat belts, is the LO that only requires the front passengers be belted. they come with airbags too, LO dont care bout airbags.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 29th, 2020, 12:45 am

^^

Increase to $10

Taxi people work hard and Gov't not providing the promised RAIL SYSTEM ..

Imbert like he playing possum .. ( manicout )

Now ah hungry for curry mani ..

2ndchance
Sweet on this forum

Postby 2ndchance » February 29th, 2020, 1:07 am

thelem-again wrote:

Taxi driver maths....
Before fare increase, 7 passengers at $7 each was $49 total.
After increase, 6 passengers at $9 is $54 total.
So the increased fare results in an additional $5 per trip even with 1 less passenger but yet "He pointed out the increase in fares did not increase profits".
I guess if he was being honest, he would admit that they want the passengers to compensate them for not breaking the law as they were doing in the first instance by exceeding the authorized number of passengers.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » February 29th, 2020, 3:00 am

2ndchance wrote:
thelem-again wrote:

Taxi driver maths....
Before fare increase, 7 passengers at $7 each was $49 total.
After increase, 6 passengers at $9 is $54 total.
So the increased fare results in an additional $5 per trip even with 1 less passenger but yet "He pointed out the increase in fares did not increase profits".
I guess if he was being honest, he would admit that they want the passengers to compensate them for not breaking the law as they were doing in the first instance by exceeding the authorized number of passengers.

Why you acting so jello ?

Hard working taxi owners' people MUST be compensated :|

You have to subtract the gas/diesel and car/van maintenance .. i.e. tires, tune up, bad diesel etc.

The late or early hours shifts ..

And the rude and delinquents TT patrons who damage the interior :|

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » February 29th, 2020, 4:11 am

let dem taxi go aheah man, when corina virus hit yuh go c how much people go travel in 7 seater and maxi, less people man less chance of infection. real men go look for 4 seater or pay for the whole car,or get a drop or rather walk. taxi men go be a high risk job so is best they raise the price further.

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » February 29th, 2020, 5:26 am

im just here to say that i rather drag my balls across a razor blade the length of POS to Curepe than to travel with a 7 seat taxi.....

....my option is safer

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 29th, 2020, 8:02 am

Just imagine 7 seater vehicles were actually allowed to carry 7 passengers blocking the door entrance in case of emergency and putting passengers at a huge inconvenience.

But the real reason isn't passenger inconvenience, Drivers got tired of getting out of their seat to come and move that sh!tty passenger seat blocking the door

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » February 29th, 2020, 8:15 am

A nation of Taxi drivers

Good job PNM

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 29th, 2020, 8:34 am

maj. tom wrote:lol so they reducing passengers and raising the fare to compensate, but yet no word of passenger safety like seat-belts for all passengers. Inertia does stop by magic after the front seat ent? What about child seats for baby passengers? As registered taxi drivers, should they all not have a child seat in the trunk to attach to a regular seat for when there is need to buckle up a child? Nothing wrong with paying a passenger fare for that safety service. Trinidad forever have backward sheit laws that never protect its citizens eh?

AYE
boi, several years ago I had the misfortune to have to take a taxi to arima, and little did I know the driver was pushing hard for the CvNT of the Decade Award in the jackass driving category. He start driving like a ass from by maritime flyover, tailgating, speeding, shoulder driving, zig-zag all over the place. I asked him one time to slow down & follow the laws of the road. He responded in the manner I expected a jackass would, "if yuh eh like how I driving yuh could come out here yunno".
Me eh say a word after, I just pull out phone & start to record the rest of the trip.
Reach arima, I walk out the car, & I tell him I eh paying him. He start to cuss & come out d car,& I tell him, let us go in d station & see if the police decide I should pay him for endangering my life & If they do decide I should pay him after watching the video of his driving on my phone, I would & tip him $100.
That was the fastest I ever see an a$$h0le jump back in a taxi & drive off cussin :lol: .

killercow
Riding on 17's

Postby killercow » February 29th, 2020, 10:11 am

hustla_ambition101 wrote:
88sins wrote:
thelem-again wrote:

JA comment tbh. If a manufacturer specifies a certain capacity how is it the fault of any gov't to enforce such. Majority of them got CNG kits free courtesy the same gov't and spending less on fuel. How much income taxes they paying on a yearly basis because we all know that they earning beyond the allowance
I was talking to a LO recently while in the presence of a taxi driver doing inspection. Apparently some vehicles can carry 7 passengers and some can carry six. Some vehicles are actually manufactured with 8 seal belts and 8 headrests and from the pic I see Duane posted, I noticed seat belt buckles for 3 persons at the back and 3 in the middle.
Not sure what criteria has to be met but I personally felt that if you had to increase the fare, $8 would have been sufficient.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 29th, 2020, 11:35 am

@killercow
There's fair, and then there's a hustlers interpretation of fair. Guess which one they ascribe to.

@hustler
A company can design and make and name any vehicle they want, and cram as much seating capacity as they feel they can into said vehicle. Doe's make said vehicle suitable or acceptable for use any one particular nation's roadways. That task then falls to whatever division of the nation's law enforcement agencies. In our case, that's LO & MOWT.
I personally got no issues with a vehicle that comes as standard from the factory fitted with seating for 7 passengers transporting same number of passengers. But it seems that the state does.

Did anyone ask persons at LO and/or for the logic and reason they applied beyond this decision by MOWT & via what criteria or information led them to the decision they made that caused this problem to be foisted upon the travelling public?

juggernaught
3NE 2NR for life

Postby juggernaught » February 29th, 2020, 11:44 am

So my question is things only hard for them taxi drivers alone? What horse feces I hearing look how long the working public salaries have never been adjusted to the high cost of living and then these sons of beaches wanna increase the fare because they losing out? Man that’s just greed for real, I nor the traveling public never gone and tell you to buy a frigging Serena or noah

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 29th, 2020, 12:41 pm

killercow wrote:Some vehicles are actually manufactured with 8 seal belts and 8 headrests and from the pic I see Duane posted, I noticed seat belt buckles for 3 persons at the back and 3 in the middle.
Not sure what criteria has to be met but I personally felt that if you had to increase the fare, $8 would have been sufficient.

I don't think licensing office licenses any of the Serena, Voxy, Noah as 8 seater though.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » February 29th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Taxi drivers with Noah, Voxy and Serena were up to 2 years ago licensed for 7 passengers so they weren't breaking any laws, when the MOWT decided to use the MGW as listed in the de-registration cert from Japan as well as seat width, to determine passenger amt it dropped to 6, so drivers going for inspection were being told to reclassify their vehicles and new vehicles were registered as 6, enforcement of the change happened late last year and since taxis are inspected annually one can expect by the end of this year all of the above vehicles will be reg for 6. This does not apply to P vehicles as they can carry 7 like normal. North-South taxis did a calculation and the lost seat equates to just under $3500 a month in lost revenue which is about a loan payment to them. Some drivers will eventually upgrade to larger vehicles if they can afford it, a RORO Serena averages $165K vs a new H1 which is registered for 8 and sells for bet $315-350K.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » February 29th, 2020, 1:15 pm

juggernaught wrote:So my question is things only hard for them taxi drivers alone? What horse feces I hearing look how long the working public salaries have never been adjusted to the high cost of living and then these sons of beaches wanna increase the fare because they losing out? Man that’s just greed for real, I nor the traveling public never gone and tell you to buy a frigging Serena or noah

That's a pretty narrow-minded opinion, what does public sector salaries have to do with an entrepreneur that invested money to provide a service? A businessman does not go into business for the purpose of charity he goes in to make money. In a country with no reliable mass-transit system, larger capacity vehicles are the better bet, it's the norm internationally

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”