Forums

facebook marketplace

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

facebook marketplace

Postby daring dragoon » February 12th, 2020, 6:17 am

so if someone advertising their product for $1 shouldn't they have to honor the price of $1 if i show up with a $1 ? isnt there some consumer affairs laws about this? some even advertise as free. how hard it is to put the real price if they dont want to honor the $1 as advertised.

K74T
TunerGod

Re: facebook marketplace

Postby K74T » February 12th, 2020, 7:35 am

Ok

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » February 12th, 2020, 7:43 am

daring dragoon wrote:so if someone advertising their product for $1 shouldn't they have to honor the price of $1 if i show up with a $1 ? isnt there some consumer affairs laws about this? some even advertise as free. how hard it is to put the real price if they dont want to honor the $1 as advertised.

K

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 12th, 2020, 7:49 am

so yuh see something advertise for $1 and tell yourself that hadda be real and actually worth $1 in a trade, let me air my "best of" on triniutuner to make sure everyone knows.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 12th, 2020, 8:01 am

Why not take up the issue on FB?

here is Trinituner marketplace.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 12th, 2020, 9:24 am

daring dragoon wrote:so if someone advertising their product for $1 shouldn't they have to honor the price of $1 if i show up with a $1 ? isnt there some consumer affairs laws about this? some even advertise as free. how hard it is to put the real price if they dont want to honor the $1 as advertised.

reason for the $1 is because the asking price is ridiculously over priced & they eh want nobody bash them, also

some ppl lonely & dotish & want someone to call them, even if the call ends up producing nothing of value & they get a swift hang, haggle up or cuss out.

thelem-again
Sweet on this forum

Postby thelem-again » February 12th, 2020, 9:26 am

Do mods still lock threads for being stupid??

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » February 12th, 2020, 9:36 am

Welcome to earth OP. Hope you enjoy your stay.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » February 12th, 2020, 10:15 am

Opindra looks like the kind of person who walks into a store and asks if items without price tags are free.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 12th, 2020, 10:54 am

What is the law regarding prices on the item and the price at the register though?
Two Saturdays ago I bought a lunch kit for my son in Excellent Stores as the zipper in his had spoilt. Price tag said $49 and when I scanned it it also said $49 but when they scanned at the counter was really $90 (the counter scans the product bar code not the price tag barcode). Woman say its an error and the most she can do was offer 20% off. Took it as I was going to buy one anyhows but was wondering if I could have argued for the price tag price.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » February 12th, 2020, 11:03 am

"Price too high" arguments aside,,,

This is covered in 1st yr contract law (if you did a business degree), and if I'm not mistaken, MoB and PoB (if those things still exist :roll: ).

1. This is called an "Invitation to treat"... the actual contract (offer and acceptance) comes after. So yes, they can put the $1 afaik. (if you did contract law, you might remember the famous Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company.. basically the first case law that you encounter... ah the days...) see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invitation_to_treat.

2. There is the concept of "caveat emptor" or buyer beware (also from PoB/MoB, and of course your Bus.Ad/Mgt degree), which basically means that you are responsible for the ensuring the quality of what you buy.

BUT, there is consumer affairs as well, which pays attention to whether businesses are doing that nonsense and tricking customers, but I highly doubt they're going to do anything about ppl on fb doing that, unless fb or the group admins do something about it.

tl;dr := yea they can do that;

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 12th, 2020, 11:03 am

The law is to drop it and walk away and let them haul dey mc.

Mistakes like that can happen all the time. Trinidad on the whole doesn't have any policies or culture to honor claims of mismatched prices like Walmart, etc.

Though Massy St. Augustine did honor it for me once because it was their mistake and the manager admitted that they printed the wrong price tag with the same barcode on the shelf. I was pleasantly surprised.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » February 12th, 2020, 11:06 am

[[i feel like i just got tricked into answering someone's Business Law tutorial questions... never more!]]

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » February 12th, 2020, 11:09 am

maj. tom wrote:The law is to drop it and walk away and let them haul dey mc.

Mistakes like that can happen all the time. Trinidad on the whole doesn't have any policies or culture to honor claims of mismatched prices like Walmart, etc.

Though Massy St. Augustine did honor it for me once because it was their mistake and the manager admitted that they printed the wrong price tag with the same barcode on the shelf. I was pleasantly surprised.

So, the price on the tag is the invitation to treat. There is no contract (ie, sale) just by putting up a price. The offer and acceptance happens at the register, when YOU offer to pay for your stuff, and THEY accept. That's why you can fill an entire trolley with goods and just leave it and walk out.. you havent bought anything.

They only honour the price on the tag to keep you as a customer (that, or the mgr doesnt know the law).

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » February 12th, 2020, 11:11 am

sometimes is d old bait n switch tactic , cud be a human error too

nobody cud make u buy from them so if d price\item dont suit u simply doh buy it ...

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » February 12th, 2020, 11:34 am

Pricemart always honours the printed price. Granted I have never seen it with thousand dollar items but the few times I have ever paid more than the posted price I have gotten a refund and my father in law same as well.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » February 12th, 2020, 12:43 pm

yes, i went in xtra foods and saw a chicken for 15 cents on the sticker and the cashier cash 15 cents and i went on my way. if these people tricking customers to look at their product by advertising the wrong price some law should be in place.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » February 12th, 2020, 12:45 pm

FrankChag wrote:

So, the price on the tag is the invitation to treat. There is no contract (ie, sale) just by putting up a price. The offer and acceptance happens at the register, when YOU offer to pay for your stuff, and THEY accept. That's why you can fill an entire trolley with goods and just leave it and walk out.. you havent bought anything.

They only honour the price on the tag to keep you as a customer (that, or the mgr doesnt know the law).

interesting read.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » February 12th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Rovin wrote:sometimes is d old bait n switch tactic , cud be a human error too

nobody cud make u buy from them so if d price\item dont suit u simply doh buy it ...

my post is not about the $1 itself but about the fact that they spend time to put $1 they might as well could put up the actual price and dont waste no one time.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » February 13th, 2020, 9:01 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:Opindra looks like the kind of person who walks into a store and asks if items without price tags are free.
You mean they not?

I thought the police cars were trying to race me as well.

Zetski
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Zetski » February 14th, 2020, 2:40 am

You was looking on marketplace to buy music to clash that purple panel van in san juan that giving you horrors?

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » February 14th, 2020, 4:07 am

Zetski wrote:

You was looking on marketplace to buy music to clash that purple panel van in san juan that giving you horrors?

since then is quiet, like they see the post and simmer down.

on ebay if the time over and the bid price is $1 the person has to honor the price.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » February 14th, 2020, 9:23 am

ebay is different and has different rules that are enforced by several legal entities and credit companies. ebay is a legit auction company, like the ones with gavel and auctioneers, except by a computer.

fb has no rules. It's just to collect your data and sell it.
I can't believe people called you out and you still playing dotish here on this issue.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » February 14th, 2020, 9:46 am

The "Free" and "$ 1" postings is just to draw people in...yuh know how Trini like cheap/free thing...:|

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » February 14th, 2020, 9:50 am

Isn't the $1 thing usually for when certain market places only has US currency as an option?

In any event I wouldn't buy anything from anyone anywhere in the world who doesn't have an advertised price. This goes for all those groceries and stores etc who loves to have items without a price.

Some places selling 1 liter Moo Milk for all kinda $15 and thing now and no price they wait for you to reach the cash register to scan it and tell you the price. No price I leave it right there

Spitfir3
punchin NOS

Postby Spitfir3 » February 14th, 2020, 12:01 pm

if somebody put $1 on the description then is either
a.they open to offers because they have no idea what there sheit will sell for
b.some eye gouging price and they don't want to get makeout

it easier to hit a man a chain up over the phone which is why they rather talk
personally i don't even bother if they don't put up a price just to avoid all the long talk

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 14th, 2020, 12:03 pm

if the item is $1, i try to see if i can get it for 0.25c

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » February 14th, 2020, 3:30 pm

Nah

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”