TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

COVID-19 in Trinidad & Tobago (Local Updates & Discussions Only)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 2777 cases, 45 deaths, 1970 active, 762 discharged in T&T

Postby Strugglerzinc » September 11th, 2020, 1:29 pm

goalpost wrote:Nah he coming with a mandatory work from home for all office staff. Retail stores to be closed. Next 14 days.

Whatever was in place for the last 28 days will remain in place for the next 14 days.

Even he own govt on sheit.

2 weeks ago, he said essential govt workers only, all others work from home.

Permanent Secretaries in several ministries decided that doesn't work for them, everybody still come out on rotation.

Forgive me if mandatory work from home seems far fetched.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Coronavirus - COVID-19 - 2777 cases, 45 deaths, 1970 active, 762 discharged in T&T

Postby redmanjp » September 11th, 2020, 1:30 pm

goalpost wrote:Nah he coming with a mandatory work from home for all office staff. Retail stores to be closed. Next 14 days.

Whatever was in place for the last 28 days will remain in place for the next 14 days.

ah thought he say he eh have no money for grants for another lockdown?

i keep saying if retail stores had online shopping they could be physically closed and still make money but most are still in the 20th century

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » September 11th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Nah I just kidding.
We know nothing gonna happen.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 11th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:

Permanent Secretaries in several ministries decided that doesn't work for them, everybody still come out on rotation.

this! we still on the rotation that was in place before and many of us can work from home- we do it on the off days and we did it 2 out of 3 days from march to june

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » September 11th, 2020, 1:34 pm

Trinidad deserves covid 19 for being stupid enough to vote back in those morons.

$h0Ck@
Street 2NR

Postby $h0Ck@ » September 11th, 2020, 1:54 pm

redmanjp wrote:
Strugglerzinc wrote:

this! we still on the rotation that was in place before and many of us can work from home- we do it on the off days and we did it 2 out of 3 days from march to june

Some departments (especially Accounts) in some Ministries have been working as usual 5 days a week without rotation. Directive from the Permanent Sec. All staff on board. End of financial is more important I guess.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 11th, 2020, 2:04 pm

redmanjp wrote:

i keep saying if retail stores had online shopping they could be physically closed and still make money but most are still in the 20th century

This isn't the stores fault, it is the banking system that keeps us in the 20th century.

pete
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby pete » September 11th, 2020, 2:26 pm

In the past two weeks the 7 day average of positive cases as a percentage of tests done has increased from 15% to 43%. (Checking morning report to morning report)

Yesterday was 85% and today was 63%.

Internationally the standard for enough tests is 5% positive. We need to be doing 9x as many. Which means we should be doing 1800 tests a day to be getting these numbers. They're also still doing tests from 10 days ago.

Hopefully the new machines that they keep promising will be installed "by the end of the week/next week" will start to be used and we can at least increase to clear that 10 day backlog.

We had two months they could've slowly increased testing capacity and they just wasted that time being complacent.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 11th, 2020, 2:30 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
redmanjp wrote:

This isn't the stores fault, it is the banking system that keeps us in the 20th century.
I need to disagree with this. There is currently online banking; purchases can be made online or over the phone with a credit card; some stores catalog items online, some show pricing online; some delivery is available; some curbside pickup is available.

If there are too few stores, credit/debit cards or delivery services, it's because the consumer is not driving the change and shows preference for in-store shopping.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 11th, 2020, 2:41 pm

adnj wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
redmanjp wrote:

I need to disagree with this. There is currently online banking; purchases can be made online or over the phone with a credit card; some stores catalog items online, some show pricing online; some delivery is available; some curbside pickup is available.

If there are too few stores, credit/debit cards or delivery services, it's because the consumer is not driving the change and shows preference for in-store shopping.

This is utterly false, try getting an account setup to take online payments if rediculously hard. Scotia and FCB can do this for you at a cost of 299USD or 399USD per month. Merchants cannot setup payments to receive money via PayPal here either, unless it's visa and even then there are many limitations. Every small business in Trinidad would love to accept online payments. Those that do have us or UK bank accounts. The other reason is getting credit cards for the average citizen is very difficult. We have an extremely low credit card penetration rate. Most of the world has visa or MasterCard debit cards not us.

I've seen African countries were road side vendors were accepting online payments and credit cards.

This has little to do with the consumer but more the ease of doing online business in Trinidad. Trust me, you're extremely naive to think consumers and small business don't want this.

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » September 11th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Why not use a service like Wipay?

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » September 11th, 2020, 2:53 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
adnj wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
redmanjp wrote:

This is utterly false, try getting an account setup to take online payments if rediculously hard. Scotia and FCB can do this for you at a cost of 299USD or 399USD per month. Merchants cannot setup payments to receive money via PayPal here either, unless it's visa and even then there are many limitations. Every small business in Trinidad would love to accept online payments. Those that do have us or UK bank accounts. The other reason is getting credit cards for the average citizen is very difficult. We have an extremely low credit card penetration rate. Most of the world has visa or MasterCard debit cards not us.

I've seen African countries were road side vendors were accepting online payments and credit cards.

This has little to do with the consumer but more the ease of doing online business in Trinidad. Trust me, you're extremely naive to think consumers and small business don't want this.

Idk where you got that information but my workplace bank with scotia and we have switched to online payments and there is no cost to it. Just get the banking information of the payee and create the vendor in your online banking and make the payment instantly. It actually is very simple.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 11th, 2020, 2:54 pm

:bday:
teems1 wrote:Why not use a service like Wipay?

Wipay will change things they're making good strides already but they're still in beta.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 11th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Musical Doc wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
adnj wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
redmanjp wrote:

Idk where you got that information but my workplace bank with scotia and we have switched to online payments and there is no cost to it. Just get the banking information of the payee and create the vendor in your online banking and make the payment instantly. It actually is very simple.

This isn't credit card payments though, this is online bank transfer. And it's not instant, it's 2 days from banks outside of Scotia.

Also those fees given to my friend were 2-3 years when a store in West mall tried to set up online payments. He ended up going to the US and setting up a business there, business bank account and used Stripe and PayPal.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » September 11th, 2020, 3:00 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
adnj wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
redmanjp wrote:

This isn't credit card payments though, this is online bank transfer. And it's not instant.

Online wire transfer is a option though. Probably transfers to other banks may not be instant but from what I've seen here Scotia to scotia is instant.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 11th, 2020, 3:06 pm

Musical Doc wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
adnj wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
redmanjp wrote:

This isn't credit card payments though, this is online bank transfer. And it's not instant.

Online wire transfer is a option though. Probably transfers to other banks may not be instant but from what I've seen here Scotia to scotia is instant.

So obviously not everyone has a Scotia account and taking 2 days is very inconvenient. How are you supposed to order food if the merchant has no real proof you paid other than a screenshot.

This is banking from the 1990sm

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 11th, 2020, 4:01 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
adnj wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:
redmanjp wrote:

Africa and South America use mobile payment systems that are native to their regions. Many of the customers do not have bank accounts. Research indicates about 10%+ of GDP is flowing through alternative and mobile payment systems.

https://www.emarketer.com/content/latin ... users-2019

https://riskmagazine.nl/article/2019-10 ... e-number-1

WiPay has been around for a while, is local, and I have met very few people that are even aware of how it works.

There is no reason that a debit card cannot be issued to any person with a savings account. There is no reason that LINX cannot be used in lieu of VISA with nearly any point of sale.

I don't see pervasive customer support for LINX and WiPay, two existing local solutions for cashless payment. The reasons rest squarely on the shoulders of the consumers.

So while I do not disagree that the service is a benefit, I do not agree that the service providers are the main impediment. I do believe that many businesses and consumers also want mobile/cashless payment systems -- but they seem to simply not want it enough.

teems1 wrote:Why not use a service like Wipay?

Exactly

ST Auto
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby ST Auto » September 11th, 2020, 5:01 pm

IMG-20200911-WA0016.jpeg

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 11th, 2020, 5:01 pm

Wipay is still in beta, their Rebel cards haven't officially launched.

At least in the cities, some African countries have wide deployments of visa and Mastercard debit cards.

Linx doesn't support online payments, so I'm not sure what you're getting at.

If we had VISA debit cards and could register for PayPal merchant accounts you'd see widespread online shopping options.

I really don't think you can blame the consumer here.

When I was in Senegal last year, I saw literally every bank had visa debit cards and almost every shop had a way to purchase online, most were click and collect. Food drop apps were plentiful.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 11th, 2020, 5:09 pm

some big shottas in couva yes
jack was rubbing shoulders with burkie

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » September 11th, 2020, 5:24 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:Wipay is still in beta, their Rebel cards haven't officially launched.

At least in the cities, some African countries have wide deployments of visa and Mastercard debit cards.

If we had VISA debit cards and could register for PayPal merchant accounts you'd see widespread online shopping options.

When I was in Senegal last year, I saw literally every bank had visa debit cards and almost every shop had a way to purchase online, most were click and collect. Food drop apps were plentiful.

Most of the banks in TTO offer debit cards so your argument is essentially moot. The online payment system is available and apparently not preferred sufficiently by consumers or businesses.

I believe that First Citizens canceled their debit card program but there are others:

RBC Royal Bank Visa Debit card
JMMB VISA International Debit Card 
Scotiabank Visa Debit Chip card
First National Bank in Trinidad VISA Debit Card
Unit Trust TT$ Income Fund Visa Debit Card

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 11th, 2020, 5:25 pm

adnj wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:Wipay is still in beta, their Rebel cards haven't officially launched.

Most of the banks in TTO offer debit cards so your argument is essentially moot. The online payment system is available and apparently not preferred sufficiently by consumers or businesses.

I believe that First Citizens canceled their debit card program but there are others:

RBC Royal Bank Visa Debit card
JMMB VISA International Debit Card 
Scotiabank Visa Debit Chip card
First National Bank in Trinidad VISA Debit Card
Unit Trust TT$ Income Fund Visa Debit Card

Have you tried applying for any of these? Good luck.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » September 11th, 2020, 5:58 pm

i have a RBL visa debit card but they discontinuing it :( - will have to get a normal credit card when it expire next year

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » September 11th, 2020, 6:17 pm

matr1x wrote:Trinidad deserves covid 19 for being stupid enough to vote back in those morons.

Slim,

The Trinidadian mentality is to blame regardless of who is in power.

Trinis need to stop blaming others for their stupid actions and wake up and get with the times.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 11th, 2020, 6:22 pm

Hearing the total number of deaths for today is 7?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » September 11th, 2020, 6:24 pm

MaxPower wrote:
matr1x wrote:Trinidad deserves covid 19 for being stupid enough to vote back in those morons.

Slim,

Trinis need to stop blaming others for their stupid actions and wake up and get with the times.

Max,

Apparently the Bayside crew were Venezuelan, anything to say about that?

VII
punchin NOS

Postby VII » September 11th, 2020, 6:25 pm

I wonder if the fool knows that includes him and his whole clan,mammy and nennen too...

MaxPower wrote:

Slim,

ron_28
Sweet on this forum

Postby ron_28 » September 11th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Plus 5 deaths
Plus 48 cases
Attachments
IMG-20200911-WA0027.jpg

ron_28
Sweet on this forum

Postby ron_28 » September 11th, 2020, 6:33 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:Hearing the total number of deaths for today is 7?

So the report says. Also an additional 127 cases reported

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » September 11th, 2020, 6:33 pm

3 week lag for deaths really kicking in steady now

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”