TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

COVID-19 in Trinidad & Tobago (Local Updates & Discussions Only)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ST Auto
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: Novel Coronavirus - “COVID-19” - 85 cases, 3 deaths confirmed in T&T

Postby ST Auto » March 31st, 2020, 4:28 pm

Yup
90975784_3242829142413538_1269667168207765504_o.jpeg

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 31st, 2020, 4:28 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:87 now

imported? local spread?

ST Auto
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby ST Auto » March 31st, 2020, 4:30 pm

Close contact

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » March 31st, 2020, 4:32 pm

redmanjp wrote:and persons can become contagious up to 2 days before showing symptoms- some may never show symptoms

Realistically, you are going to experience some sort of symptoms. It's a virus that attacks your respiratory system so atleast a cough and a fever. Symptoms are just your body's immune response to a foreign virus. Your body is not simply going to see a foreign virus and not put up an immune response unless the person's immune system is compromised etc.

People are confusing the term "mild". Mild at this point basically means that you don't require hospitalisation and supplemental oxygen.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » March 31st, 2020, 4:35 pm

Good explaations Redress . We getting better info from you and a few others here than from the MOH updates.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » March 31st, 2020, 4:39 pm

redmanjp wrote:
shake d livin wake d dead wrote:87 now

imported? local spread?

Afaik....local
Attachments
IMG-20200331-WA0202.jpg

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 31st, 2020, 4:43 pm

there is some suspicion that some infected persons never develop and simply pass on.
don’t know if this is really possible or is a new theory but i guess they would eventually want to do blood testing of individuals to confirm this

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » March 31st, 2020, 4:58 pm

pos under fire now ?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » March 31st, 2020, 4:58 pm

Can someone explain why we refuse to test Asymptomatic people?

Is it that with our testing procedures, you can only test positive when symptoms show? I've done some research online and I could not find a single test that works better when you're showing symptoms.

In fact, I found the opposite where viral loads were highest in people right before they start showing symptoms.

If someone has reason to believe they've been in contact with a person who had Covid-19, then f*cking test them.

Why are we only testing ~10-20 cases a day when we should be testing much more, we need to stop refusing people tests.

If this virus spreads out of control it will be mainly due to the sh*tty testing procedures we've set up.

Why? Because my uncle is showing symptoms right now. He has been mostly at home for the last 2 weeks, but he did go to the pharmacy one and grocery one over a week ago. Yesterday he developed fever, headache, slight sore throat, no cough yet.

He called and got blanked. I'm utterly confused as to who we even f*cking test right now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/scientists-say-mass-tests-in-italian-town-have-halted-covid-19

“We were able to contain the outbreak here, because we identified and eliminated the ‘submerged’ infections and isolated them,” Andrea Crisanti, an infections expert at Imperial College London, who took part in the Vò project, told the Financial Times. “That is what makes the difference.”

The research allowed for the identification of at least six asymptomatic people who tested positive for Covid-19. ‘‘If these people had not been discovered,” said the researchers, they would probably have unknowingly infected other inhabitants.

“The percentage of infected people, even if asymptomatic, in the population is very high,” wrote Sergio Romagnani, professor of clinical immunology at the University of Florence, in a letter to the authorities. “The isolation of asymptomatics is essential to be able to control the spread of the virus and the severity of the disease.”

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: Novel Coronavirus - “COVID-19” - 87 cases, 3 deaths confirmed in T&T

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 31st, 2020, 5:27 pm

^ MoH said having no symptoms could produce an incorrect reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... oronavirus
According to this and other articles it is possible to have the virus and be completely asymptomatic and still spread it.

https://www.dw.com/en/up-to-30-of-coron ... a-52900988
This says in one study by the Japanese scientists in China show that up to 30% of those infected were asymptomatic.

There is SO MUCH information online about the virus from varying sources that searches can easily feed our confirmation bias.
It's easy to find exactly what you are looking for, even if it's not correct.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Novel Coronavirus - “COVID-19” - 87 cases, 3 deaths confirmed in T&T

Postby MaxPower » March 31st, 2020, 5:45 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:Can someone explain why we refuse to test Asymptomatic people?

Is it that with our testing procedures, you can only test positive when symptoms show? I've done some research online and I could not find a single test that works better when you're showing symptoms.

In fact, I found the opposite where viral loads were highest in people right before they start showing symptoms.

If someone has reason to believe they've been in contact with a person who had Covid-19, then f*cking test them.

Why are we only testing ~10-20 cases a day when we should be testing much more, we need to stop refusing people tests.

If this virus spreads out of control it will be mainly due to the sh*tty testing procedures we've set up.

Why? Because my uncle is showing symptoms right now. He has been mostly at home for the last 2 weeks, but he did go to the pharmacy one and grocery one over a week ago. Yesterday he developed fever, headache, slight sore throat, no cough yet.

He called and got blanked. I'm utterly confused as to who we even f*cking test right now.

Hello DPD,

I agree with your concerns.

The Govt basically wants you to self isolate and not stress the facilities and resources. They are only interested in severe cases.

This can work but only IF we practice COMPLETE social distancing so those with mild symptoms can fight off the virus and not spread it in society.

Unfortunately, due to the obvious Trinidadian mentality, those with mild symptoms are denied tests and allowed to roam freely among other locals, totally disregarding social distancing.

The govt is assuring the public that they are a “step ahead”. This is incorrect as these Stay at Home orders and “quarantine law” should have been implemented even before the borders were closed. That way, anyone arriving 2 weeks before the border closure will enter the country with this already in effect. But no, can you imagine how many of the massive influx of arriving passengers (20,000 approx) were in the ridiculous and embarrassing crowds in the passed few days? As i mentioned before, the damage is already done.

Right now all we can do is hope and pray because the govt of T&T is really depending on the disgusting population to flatten the curve.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » March 31st, 2020, 5:50 pm

White House briefing on CNN. graphs and sheit, good info

100k deaths the goal if best practices are adhered to

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » March 31st, 2020, 5:51 pm

MaxPower wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:Can someone explain why we refuse to test Asymptomatic people?

Hello DPD,

I agree with your concerns.

The Govt basically wants you to self isolate and not stress the facilities and resources. They are only interested in severe cases.

This can work but only IF we practice COMPLETE social distancing so those with mild symptoms can fight off the virus and not spread it in society.

Unfortunately, due to the obvious Trinidadian mentality, those with mild symptoms are denied tests and allowed to roam freely among other locals, totally disregarding social distancing.

The govt is assuring the public that they are a “step ahead”. This is incorrect as these Stay at Home orders and “quarantine law” should have been implemented even before the borders were closed. That way, anyone arriving 2 weeks before the border closure will enter the country with this already in effect. But no, can you imagine how many of the massive influx of arriving passengers (20,000 approx) were in the ridiculous and embarrassing crowds in the passed few days? As i mentioned before, the damage is already done.

Right now all we can do is hope and pray because the govt of T&T is really depending on the disgusting population to flatten the curve.

Very sensible reply and I agree. I just cannot entertain a reason someone with symptoms would be denied testing. They are being told, only if it's serious to come to the hospital.

rexsmith
3NE 2NR for life

Postby rexsmith » March 31st, 2020, 5:52 pm

based on is going on across the world and the lockdown taken. what is your estimate for things to normalize here and business as usual?

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » March 31st, 2020, 5:55 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:^ MoH said having no symptoms could produce an incorrect reading.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... oronavirus
According to this and other articles it is possible to have the virus and be completely asymptomatic and still spread it.

https://www.dw.com/en/up-to-30-of-coron ... a-52900988
This says in one study by the Japanese scientists in China show that up to 30% of those infected were asymptomatic.

There is SO MUCH information online about the virus from varying sources that searches can easily feed our confirmation bias.
It's easy to find exactly what you are looking for, even if it's not correct.

Thanks Duane, and I agree with even reputable sources providing misinformation, BUT there is no harm in testing.

Test kits are becoming readily available and in fact, fairly reliable ones can be ordered online. Local private doctors have test kits on hand that were imported. Didn't the MoH say we have 10k test kits arriving soon?

Is CARPHA understaffed? Is their testing procedure slow and unable to handle a large load? What is the problem with testing a 60-year-old man (my uncle) who has developed the first symptoms of Covid-19?

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 31st, 2020, 5:59 pm

^so u saying those articles u linked to are wrong?

WHO says repeatedly test test test every suspected case & isolate

South Korea did thousands of test per day so they know exactly what's going on in their country and can isolate every infected person- rather than having these ppl walking around feeling fine (as a certain prison officer who came into contact with a certain tv host said) and stealthily spreading it.

wont be surprised if there is an outbreak in prison.

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/03/25/prisons-commissioner-feels-healthy-after-interacting-with-ian-alleyne/
Last edited by redmanjp on March 31st, 2020, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » March 31st, 2020, 6:02 pm

rexsmith wrote:based on is going on across the world and the lockdown taken. what is your estimate for things to normalize here and business as usual?

I have been looking at the stats and it seems we're 3-4 weeks away from our peak. Cases should start increasing in frequency later this week I imagine.

However, as of now, people with mild symptoms are being told not to come in for testing unless it starts getting serious.

With the mad rush and lack of social distancing last week, expect a surge of cases to develop in the next 2 weeks.

From the looks of it though we now start and far from normalized just yet. Peaks tend to last 2 weeks as well.

So maybe ~6 weeks we'll be back to some normality I hope.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » March 31st, 2020, 6:03 pm

redmanjp wrote:^so u saying those articles u linked to are wrong?

WHO says repeatedly test test test every suspected case & isolate

South Korea did thousands of test per day so they know exactly what's going on in their country and can isolate every infected person- rather than having these ppl walking around feeling fine (as a certain prison officer who came into contact with a certain tv host said) and stealthily spreading it.

wont be surprised if there is an outbreak in prison.

I personally wish they could accurately test everyone

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » March 31st, 2020, 6:03 pm

Redress10 wrote:He's "negative". It could be a false negative as the test could have been taken to early and his viral load was too low. This is why random testing simply would not work. The results would be useless without patient context and history.

This is why it's key at this point to stay home. Guys, testing is useless as most people who present to the hospital don't present because they think they have the virus. They go to the hospital because they are struggling to breathe and symptoms are worsening. This usually occurs around day 10. If your symptoms are improving then there really is no need to present for testing or medical intervention. That is why the world is advocating for self isolation.

Act as though you already have it.

Yup ..

" Typhoid Mary " supports your logic :wink:

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 31st, 2020, 6:04 pm

what ever the test tests for, it takes some time for it to be of significant amount in ur system for it to register, sense, detect, what ever. so it would show the 'false negative', where u have it but the test is unable to say that u have it, at such an early stage.

but then, after some time, u do accumulate enough of the 'thing' that the test tests for, and then it can actually give a true positive for the covid.

my thing is, and what the patterns, the numbers, some studies, show, is that the rapacious spread of this covid, would be occurring while people are asymptomatic, but still infectious. u dont ahve to be deftly sick to say ur symptomatic. u could have only one of any of the symptoms, very mild or even none, so u go about ur business, and no one, even u suspects that u carry it. that is what they call a carrier . not affected by it, yet still can get it from point a to point b.

anyone can have it. the normal/average time to display symptoms is 6/7 days or so. the majority of people would have displayed symptoms by 15 days. but 27 days is a max that was observed, from the infection time to the symptomatic time. 31 days, or 45 as the CMO has stated were outliers that may have had other causes, and not reliable.

14 days that our MoH uses is reasonable, but ur not completely out of the woods until 27.... to be extra cautious.

the fact that this thing moving like a viral trend, and some people die, and economies are crashing, imo, should mean we should display an abundance of caution.

me, i want to get it, isolate, get past the infections stage. i have no pre existing conditions that would render me more vulnerable, and most viruses only look to be 3 days for me.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » March 31st, 2020, 6:06 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:
rexsmith wrote:based on is going on across the world and the lockdown taken. what is your estimate for things to normalize here and business as usual?

I have been looking at the stats and it seems we're 3-4 weeks away from our peak. Cases should start increasing in frequency later this week I imagine.

However, as of now, people with mild symptoms are being told not to come in for testing unless it starts getting serious.

With the mad rush and lack of social distancing last week, expect a surge of cases to develop in the next 2 weeks.

From the looks of it though we now start and far from normalized just yet. Peaks tend to last 2 weeks as well.

flattening the curve also means prolonging the time- it could take a few months if either ppl who supposed to be in quarantine leave and go out in public or if there are asymptomatic ppl or even symptomatic ppl who doh qualify for a test are out in public continuing to spread it.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » March 31st, 2020, 6:15 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:

Yup good observation :wink:

The stats can be a prediction from a mathematical point .

But the margin of error is the people who have the virus and are still outside in the public domain.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » March 31st, 2020, 6:16 pm

white house team is showing the results from the "15-days to slow the spread" lockdown measures and the result is:

"30 days to slow the spread", meaning measures in place for another 30 days.

they do have good data though. Everybody needs to lock down and we can beat this.

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » March 31st, 2020, 6:18 pm

redmanjp wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:

flattening the curve also means prolonging the time- it could take a few months if either ppl who supposed to be in quarantine leave and go out in public or if there are asymptomatic ppl or even symptomatic ppl who doh qualify for a test are out in public continuing to spread it.

You're talking about a 2nd wave after the stay at home is over? Or just a prolonged flattened peak? Eitherway, after our main peak we can assume things shouldn't get much worse once SIQ is over.

What the government should be doing is to use the time they bought by enforcing these measures to prepare our health facilities.

There is no point in delaying a peak unless you have a solution or plan in place, be in more hospitals, beds, ventilators, ICUs, treatment drugs et.

Having a prolonged flattened peak for months also makes no sense as it cripples the country economically.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » March 31st, 2020, 6:20 pm

US Vice President very optimistic about the new point-of-care testing with 15 minute results from Abbott.

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » March 31st, 2020, 6:23 pm

paid_influencer wrote:white house team is showing the results from the "15-days to slow the spread" lockdown measures and the result is:

"30 days to slow the spread", meaning measures in place for another 30 days.

they do have good data though. Everybody needs to lock down and we can beat this.

Hello p.i,

Would you say we are locked down?

What are your thoughts with these flexible stay at home measures?

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » March 31st, 2020, 6:28 pm

MaxPower wrote:Hello p.i,

Would you say we are locked down?

What are your thoughts with these flexible stay at home measures?

I want to cuss up Stuart Young for knowing it will have crowds at markets, supermarkets and banks at month end and doing nothing to prevent it.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » March 31st, 2020, 6:31 pm

I feel carpha unable to handle high test loads, they said they only have one PCR machine and the tests take several hours or so to get a result due to the process. Plus they are testing for other caribbean countries.

they would not want to come out and say they dont have capacity to handle all the tests given their responsibilties to the various countries.

Country_Bookie
punchin NOS

Postby Country_Bookie » March 31st, 2020, 6:31 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:

The lack of social distancing being displayed by trinis is atrocious. All these ppl in lines outside banks and groceries almost jamming up on one another. Since last week Thursday it start and still going on. Community spread from panic buying.

We like to look down on our brothers from the small islands but they're handling this much better than us. Curfews, SOE, groceries only partially opened, banks closed etc. With all the smart phones in Trinidad, why do ppl need to line up to go in the bank ? Can't they use smart phones or ATMs? And is not old ppl, it's ppl under 60. Apparently literacy is a problem too, they didn't read all the notices from the banks about the 1st hour being reserved for the elderly..... so these ppl lining up from 7 in the morning until after 9. We're doomed if we have to rely on these ppl being responsible to stop the spread.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”