Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

arawak chicken

Postby daring dragoon » January 17th, 2020, 7:23 am

so i pass arawak factory an studying what is the best buy :
1 case whole chicken is 12 chicken uncut up is $400
1 case ah bbq quarters that add up to 12 chicken is $360
1 case ah mixed parts is $275 which is about 24 packs.

i dont know how they determine price but is the whole chicken more weight than the BBQ quarters cause if you getting the same number of chicken the bbq quarters is the better buy. plus you seeing fresh chicken in a pluck shop at 3 for a $100

all d chicken they processing daily and them never have foot or gizzard in stock.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: arawak chicken

Postby hydroep » January 17th, 2020, 7:32 am

Weight would be a factor plus certain pieces carry a premium (e.g. legs, wings and breast) so they would factor all of that into the whole chicken price.

As for feet, liver and gizzard - there's a high demand and they make a killing selling those separately (souse & soup vendors, breakfast shops and domestic consumption).

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 17th, 2020, 9:30 am

daring dragoon wrote:so i pass arawak factory an studying what is the best buy :
1 case whole chicken is 12 chicken uncut up is $400
1 case ah bbq quarters that add up to 12 chicken is $360
1 case ah mixed parts is $275 which is about 24 packs.

i dont know how they determine price but is the whole chicken more weight than the BBQ quarters cause if you getting the same number of chicken the bbq quarters is the better buy. plus you seeing fresh chicken in a pluck shop at 3 for a $100

all d chicken they processing daily and them never have foot or gizzard in stock.

Large processors set prices by weight, so the difference in price you seeing between bbq quarters & whole birds is due to the fact that for bbq quarters they use slightly smaller birds than for the case of whole chicken.
Difference in price of mixed parts is because you getting plenty thighs & some legs, few wings, hardly any breasts. For premium parts you pay premium prices.
As hydroep said, the shortage of foot, gizzard, liver, neck is attributable to the fast food & restaurant industry. breakfast fillers & cutters haffi sell boi.

A word to the wise tho, you get ripped off a bit when buying chilled chicken by the case, no matter where you buy, no matter how it's packaged whether whole or cut up.
Because instead of weighing the case with chicken only, many processing plants put one setta ice in the bag before it gets weighed, then put it on the scale, so you basically paying for a case of chicken & 9-12 lbs of bloody ice water.
The trick to avoid this? Buy your chicken frozen.

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » January 17th, 2020, 9:33 am

Bbq chicken quarters from arawak is a smaller bird than what they sell as a whole chicken. The weight is measured before it is sold with ice

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 17th, 2020, 10:43 am

SR wrote:Bbq chicken quarters from arawak is a smaller bird than what they sell as a whole chicken. The weight is measured before it is sold with ice

Well that's interesting
If that's the case, please explain to me how come when I used to order from them a case would come labeled with one weight (say for example 20 kg) & when I put it on my digital scale it reads anywhere from 3-7 lbs lighter than the labeled weight? Is extra chicken I getting for free dey owa?

& doh say is meh scale gone mad eh :lol:
Last edited by 88sins on January 17th, 2020, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 17th, 2020, 10:46 am

Yup. BBQ quarters are from slightly smaller birds.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » January 17th, 2020, 1:05 pm

The infamous TYSON BBQ quarters are huge. How much of them are edible is another question entirely.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 17th, 2020, 2:44 pm

some or many of those super sized chickens are capons, ie castrated
not as a result of drugs as many think

they get huge

hydroep wrote:The infamous TYSON BBQ quarters are huge. How much of them are edible is another question entirely.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » January 17th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Genetics'. Those quarters you see being produced by Tyson and the other industry giants are the result of four way crosses of hybridized types that include specific strains of White Plymouth and Cornish. Local chickens are raised on the same antibiotic regimes and corn/soy based diets. The technique allows you to select for traits and then cross those traits to combine them in the second filial.
A * B C * D

ꜜ ꜜ
F1 (AB) * F1 (CD)

F2 (ABCD = 25% A, 25% B, 25% C, 25% D)

But last time we had that discussion here, I got accused of having financial interests in tyson products...*shrugs*

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 17th, 2020, 3:30 pm

it’s not only eating chickens are genetically fine tuned
all them egg layers are imported stock

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » January 17th, 2020, 3:45 pm

Yup, I end up at pascargo a couple times for the week with live fish and crates upon crates of chicks are a very regular sight and sound for that matter lol.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » January 17th, 2020, 4:05 pm

so the better deal is the whole chicken ?

dogg
Riding on 16's

Postby dogg » January 17th, 2020, 4:05 pm

all that maths and the fowl smelling like frozen dog shyt?

meccalli wrote:Genetics'. Those quarters you see being produced by Tyson and the other industry giants are the result of four way crosses of hybridized types that include specific strains of White Plymouth and Cornish. Local chickens are raised on the same antibiotic regimes and corn/soy based diets. The technique allows you to select for traits and then cross those traits to combine them in the second filial.
A * B C * D

ꜜ ꜜ
F1 (AB) * F1 (CD)

F2 (ABCD = 25% A, 25% B, 25% C, 25% D)

But last time we had that discussion here, I got accused of having financial interests in tyson products...*shrugs*

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » January 17th, 2020, 4:26 pm

Well it's not math, and that's cool... but the facts are that the size of the chicken is based on it's genes.

Redress10
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Redress10 » January 17th, 2020, 4:28 pm

Ent is the same tyson alluh does eat and buy when alluh gone away?

dogg
Riding on 16's

Postby dogg » January 17th, 2020, 4:39 pm

Redress10 wrote:Ent is the same tyson alluh does eat and buy when alluh gone away?

Same brand. But not the same putrid expired nastiness they sell here!

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » January 17th, 2020, 5:01 pm

all dem chinee and roti shop using tyson and people rushing it , idk y allyuh lying for ? OP is about arawak chicken. I rather the arawak over find choice. i fine find choice does taste rottenish

Soul Collector
12 pounds of Boost

Postby Soul Collector » January 17th, 2020, 5:30 pm

screwbash wrote:all dem chinee and roti shop using tyson and people rushing it , idk y allyuh lying for ? OP is about arawak chicken. I rather the arawak over find choice. i fine find choice does taste rottenish

Not you alone na bro.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 17th, 2020, 7:04 pm

part of the problem is them tyson sold by a solid case as a frozen block
they does thaw the whole block and use a little at a time.

screwbash wrote:all dem chinee and roti shop using tyson and people rushing it , idk y allyuh lying for ? OP is about arawak chicken. I rather the arawak over find choice. i fine find choice does taste rottenish

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » January 17th, 2020, 7:57 pm

pugboy wrote:part of the problem is them tyson sold by a solid case as a frozen block

Flavour to the bone. The black bone.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » January 18th, 2020, 5:56 am

rspann wrote:
pugboy wrote:part of the problem is them tyson sold by a solid case as a frozen block

Flavour to the bone. The black bone.

it had a bar in springvillage opposite uwi hiway side about 2010 so i limin dey and buy wings from dem, man when i reach the bone the bone black like it soak in soy sauce and drunk an still trow it away yes. i neva see black bone chicken in my life. havent lime dey since, but i pass on the road earlier this year and see it block off with about 4 garage doors that raise up so idk if it still have a bar dey.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 18th, 2020, 6:21 am

the black bone is the blood in
marrow spoiling
it won’t kill you as they cook to high temps which kills all germs
just don’t chew up the bones, might taste funky

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » January 18th, 2020, 6:33 am

pugboy wrote:the black bone is the blood in
marrow spoiling
it won’t kill you as they cook to high temps which kills all germs
just don’t chew up the bones, might taste funky

Local food places? Surely you jest.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 18th, 2020, 6:37 am

I buy Tyson for my dog's and when I chopping it up so far I haven't seen any pieces that looked or smelled spoiled, but I buy it by the whole case and I make sure to check the expiration date and try to avoid taking any with less than 2 months till expiration.
I've noticed some people complaints and I have come to the conclusion that Tyson leg quarters is hit or miss depending on where you buy. Ive observed that many of the small meat shops and supermarkets that sell it will repackage it and sell it by the pound. So who's to say if it's not expired or spoiling when they sell it that way?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 18th, 2020, 9:18 am

how do you thaw it out ?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 18th, 2020, 9:28 am

I poke a small hole in the bag & fill it with tap water, wait 20 minutes, drain, refill & repeat till the outside pieces are soft, then open the bag completely & take them out & rest them in the sink filled with water & start pulling them apart. Some will still have some ice inside, but the water helps it come apart a little.
then is just to weigh out portions, bag, label & put in freezer till needed. the smaller portions thaw faster for when needed

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » January 18th, 2020, 10:15 am

them restaurant not going thru that wuk
is drop on ground overnight to melt and use as needed
doh mind outside pieces will be at room temp for longer time and risk of black bone syndrome

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 18th, 2020, 10:22 am

well boi me ah ha no restaurant :lol: but yeah a fella that runs a restaurant came home by me see me doing that & say that does take too long & is too much wuk & water. I was like "ok, so is a good thing I don't eat by allyuh then"

but besides that even tho is for my dogs, I do not like the idea of feeding any living creature with substandard foods, so I don't mind the extra work.
many ppl don't realize GIGO is a real thing

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 18th, 2020, 10:25 am

pugboy wrote:them restaurant not going thru that wuk
is drop on ground overnight to melt and use as needed
doh mind outside pieces will be at room temp for longer time and risk of black bone syndrome
Yup. Realized Chinese chicken eh the same since that cheap quarters flooded the market.
Might get a couple that uses local, but most using the Tyson for bottom line profit. That's why you can still get a chicken special for under 20, or in some cases closer to 15

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 18th, 2020, 11:11 am

saw some Chinese buying those whole fryer chickens in Pricesmart, a full trolley. So i assumed that's for the restaurant. Marinate with some soy sauce, whole deep fry and then cut up.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”