Forums

Laptop/ tablet suggestions for 5&7 year old

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Laptop/ tablet suggestions for 5&7 year old

Postby Premchand1976 » January 12th, 2020, 8:34 am

Guys, looking to get the kids some new devices for basic streaming, music, videos etc and wanted some suggestions . They have the Samsung tab 3 10.1 devices currently but thinking about a lil upgrade .....please share some recommendations other than APPLE products .

Thanks

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Re: Laptop/ tablet suggestions for 5&7 year old

Postby fokhan_96 » January 12th, 2020, 8:57 am

Amazon Fire Tablet.
You can't go wrong. Amazon usually has sale on these often and you get up to 50% off. For the price, and the specs don't think anyone can come close. And all Amazon devices i have so far i wasn't disappointed. There is also the Fire tablet kids edition but is normally more expensive, but you can just buy the tablet and order the case separately you'll come out cheaper.

bossmann
Trinituner Peong

Postby bossmann » January 12th, 2020, 9:00 am

fokhan_96 wrote:Amazon Fire Tablet.
You can't go wrong. Amazon usually has sale on these often and you get up to 50% off. For the price, and the specs don't think anyone can come close. And all Amazon devices i have so far i wasn't disappointed. There is also the Fire tablet kids edition but is normally more expensive, but you can just buy the tablet and order the case separately you'll come out cheaper.
/thread

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » January 12th, 2020, 9:43 am

Yesterday I saw JJ and Friends offering an Amazon Fire Tablet with some of their apps on it . Looks like a very good educational tool and it's advertised for ages 6 to 8. Google it and see.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » January 12th, 2020, 9:51 am

rspann wrote:Yesterday I saw JJ and Friends offering an Amazon Fire Tablet with some of their apps on it . Looks like a very good educational tool and it's advertised for ages 6 to 8. Google it and see.

i find its a bunch of crap. the tablet dey give have no room to install any other apps and you cant expand the memory. you can just add more storage for pics and such but it not allowing you to install more apps. buy a regular table from smasung or a generic brand that u can install more apps. that jj friends is a bunch of nonsense that is a waste of money. ABC mouse is a better app.

Premchand1976
Riding on 16's

Postby Premchand1976 » January 12th, 2020, 10:13 am

screwbash wrote:
rspann wrote:Yesterday I saw JJ and Friends offering an Amazon Fire Tablet with some of their apps on it . Looks like a very good educational tool and it's advertised for ages 6 to 8. Google it and see.

i find its a bunch of crap. the tablet dey give have no room to install any other apps and you cant expand the memory. you can just add more storage for pics and such but it not allowing you to install more apps. buy a regular table from smasung or a generic brand that u can install more apps. that jj friends is a bunch of nonsense that is a waste of money. ABC mouse is a better app.
This is exactly why I am not Into apple products. Android market offers alot more i.m.o.

Thanks for the suggestions ppl .

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 12th, 2020, 10:59 am

Pricesmart carries the Kindle Fire also.

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » January 12th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Stay far from Amazon Fire tablets, they are slow af. I used one some years ago The specs are really low, basic internals and very small 1GB RAM . NOTE: RAM and Storage is not the same thing although they use the same GB measurements. The one i used was struggling to play Angry Birds which my old samsung tablet can run smoothly.

Buy any other android tablet e.g The Samsung Galaxy tab (2019) comes with 2 and 3GB ram models,plus better internal specs.
Then attach a child friendly rugged 3rd party case and a screen protector on amazon and you good. You can turn on child settings on the device and apps to limit what they can see etc.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 12th, 2020, 3:08 pm

I think an older generation iPad is the best option for kids.
They're well built, better components, better support, better case accessories available for protection, it will last many years compared to regular tablets. Older iPads are cheap now. You can get a 4th gen refurbished from Amazon for $150 USD, because it's for your child, not for productive work. Larger app store for kids. The Apple software updates will keep them optimal compared to regular cheap Android platforms who usually stop supporting after 1 year. I bet 4 years down the line they're still using the same iPad and it will be working fine still. Android tablet in the garbage after 2 years, no software support or updates, lagging and not supporting any new apps. Even the high quality Sony Xperia tablets went this way.

You can lock down your Apple environment for children exactly how you want and totally control the apps, the store, the movies, the games. Just be a diligent parent and keep up to date on the latest security for your iPad for the kids. Apple has a reputation for their line of mobile products for a good reason. Some people still toting their iPhone 5 and it working normal as a basic smartphone with iOS 13 because of Apple software updates and support.

Coppershot
Riding on 17's

Postby Coppershot » January 12th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Apple have been known to stop supporting devices with software updates as well especially in mac mini line of products.
You can get an indeed go with a refurbished ipad. Avoid the apple tax completely. The ipad seems more robust, less likely to die due to planned obsolescence features in imac, mac book pro, mac book air etc. Older ipad have no T2 security chip, so no worries when changing a cracked screen.

Secondly not all android laptops are cheap. Samsung, LG, Asus etc all have flagship premium models, mid range models as well as budget models. Most ppl buy the budget models because consumers think they all look alike and don`t read specs.

Lastly you can flash some older android devices with a custom rom such as LineageOS, Resurrection Remix, Havoc os, Aosp Extended plus many more. However depends on device and model. Usually if its a popular device you can find a guide on how to do it on youtube or in another forum. I am planning to flash my old android tablet since support was dropped.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 12th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Kindle fire kids is good bang for buck.
Plus has full replacement warranty if bought from Amazon directly. You'll need an SD card, but grab the newest version and it should be fine for most kids.

daring dragoon
18 pounds of Boost

Postby daring dragoon » January 24th, 2021, 6:05 am

anyone know where i can get a fire tablet screen replaced? tablet fell and screen cracked up.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 24th, 2021, 6:26 pm

daring dragoon wrote:anyone know where i can get a fire tablet screen replaced? tablet fell and screen cracked up.

It might actually be cheaper and less problematic to buy a new one

timelapse
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby timelapse » January 28th, 2021, 9:42 am

Keep them off TIKTOK.....

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » January 28th, 2021, 10:51 am

I got one these for my brood and it works well. It is rugged, light, laptop/tablet and Chrome OS is lighter and has a quicker start up time. In fact, I am envious of it and use it when I have to go to meetings.
One main drawback is that if you use Zoom, there are limited functions on Chrome OS

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R2 ... le_o08_s00

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”