TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

Why is Trinidad so UNDER powered Digitally?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Why is Trinidad so UNDER powered Digitally?

Postby Monk BANzai » January 5th, 2020, 1:43 pm

yes i have a axe to grind always about our "backfootness digtially"

Over the holidays I passed through the mall with a business colleauge from foriegn, and he initially pointed out something to me that I really didnt take notice until he kept harping on it: "Why are all of the major telecom providers STILL have extremely long, slow lines filled with customers. Don't customers have better things to do with their time?"

Hopefully in 2020, the customer experience would evolve? Why are customers lining up when there are Self care apps both online and mobile? Why are customers being tormented with this madness? Why are customers not being educated about relevant options to avoid lines?

Incentivize customers there are easy solutions, be creative. Having led online payments and successfully onboarding thousands of customers, I know there is a better way. Or is it we really don't care anymore about becoming where other's in the region are Digitally (and i use that term loosely eh).

bmobilelines.jpg
flowline.jpg

topuplines.jpg

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Re: Why is Trinidad so UNDER powered Digitally?

Postby Gladiator » January 5th, 2020, 1:49 pm

That's still not that bad... went to Cuba some years ago and the line spanned about 2.5km.

You live in a 3rd world $heit hole... accept that and join the line!!!

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » January 5th, 2020, 1:53 pm

Albeit poor customer service, we seem to still gravitate to tangible customer/sales rep interactions, especially the over 30's for whom it's tradition, look at your pics, see the age demographic? It's similar to how we have so much online banking features yet people line up by banks from 6am to collect their pensions, just so they could have it home. As the younger generation who eschews personal interaction and favors impersonal online lifestyle grows we may see a change in habits, also incentives will encourage behavioral changes as you suggested

Monk BANzai
3NE 2NR Moderator
Location: 2 Laws of 2NR. 1. You can't turn a hoe into a housewife. 2. The Streets are Undefeated.

Postby Monk BANzai » January 5th, 2020, 2:11 pm

eliteauto wrote:Albeit poor customer service, we seem to still gravitate to tangible customer/sales rep interactions, especially the over 30's for whom it's tradition, look at your pics, see the age demographic? It's similar to how we have so much online banking features yet people line up by banks from 6am to collect their pensions, just so they could have it home. As the younger generation who eschews personal interaction and favors impersonal online lifestyle grows we may see a change in habits, also incentives will encourage behavioral changes as you suggested

i do hope so. With Massy's current restructuring (including selling off of G4S and a few others) it's clear the platforms are changing on the football field.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 5th, 2020, 2:24 pm

eliteauto wrote:Albeit poor customer service, we seem to still gravitate to tangible customer/sales rep interactions, especially the over 30's for whom it's tradition, look at your pics, see the age demographic? It's similar to how we have so much online banking features yet people line up by banks from 6am to collect their pensions, just so they could have it home. As the younger generation who eschews personal interaction and favors impersonal online lifestyle grows we may see a change in habits, also incentives will encourage behavioral changes as you suggested
Online banking in TT primitive and pointless

In the UK I can transfer funds to any international bank account world wide. Free local transfers and I pay £7 world wide fee.

Here in Trini you can't even transfer to parallel local banks much less transfer out of trini.

Banana republic banking filled with two forms of ID, and endless useless rep tape.

Trini is not online friendly nor is it interconnected.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » January 5th, 2020, 2:39 pm

How can you pay online when TSTT does not produce your bills on time or even for months on end?

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 5th, 2020, 3:03 pm

bluefete wrote:How can you pay online when TSTT does not produce your bills on time or even for months on end?
You just have to over pay it and get credit on it.

But you are at a loss while TSTT makes money on your head. They hold your overpayments and gain the interests on it while you loose out on it .

mero
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby mero » January 5th, 2020, 3:28 pm

zoom rader wrote:

In the UK I can transfer funds to any international bank account world wide. Free local transfers and I pay £7 world wide fee.

Here in Trini you can't even transfer to parallel local banks much less transfer out of trini.

Banana republic banking filled with two forms of ID, and endless useless rep tape.

I tranfer to other local banks via online banking normal normal. Where you getting this info from?

You living UK or here?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 5th, 2020, 3:46 pm

It's a lot of older people who are stuck in the lines at the banks. They don't know how apps and SSL work, and are actually going to be more susceptible to malware and doing nonsense. Most online scams are targeted at older people as well. I avoid the banks as much as I can and do most stuff online. I cannot speak for what's available for the business/commercial side of banking, but I would think a lot of it is on the apps. You could literally lie down in your bed and pay all your bills on the phone before you fall asleep. There is also the older method of dial telephone banking.

Sometime times I pay bills at a secure Lotto place too. It goes through immediately, and gets tagged in the next billing cycle. No lines.

Lines for bills are for last minute suckers though. Those people lining up at Flow and bmobile paying when they receive the bill and it's overdue. You didn't mention that OP. I know how much my bills will be and I allocate it and transfer before the billing cycle starts. What, they get their paycheck on the 1st of the next month? Sometimes things are tight and have to wait until next month, but I would still have 30 days left for the overdue date.

j.o.e

Postby j.o.e » January 5th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Telecoms providers are pushing people towards digital billing and payment. There is a small percentage who will resist until the end, resources will not be made available to make their process easy or comfortable. The lines will continue until they die or begin to use technology

Kenjo
punchin NOS

Postby Kenjo » January 5th, 2020, 5:15 pm

maj. tom wrote:It's a lot of older people who are stuck in the lines at the banks. They don't know how apps and SSL work, and are actually going to be more susceptible to malware and doing nonsense. Most online scams are targeted at older people as well. I avoid the banks as much as I can and do most stuff online. I cannot speak for what's available for the business/commercial side of banking, but I would think a lot of it is on the apps. You could literally lie down in your bed and pay all your bills on the phone before you fall asleep. There is also the older method of dial telephone banking.

Sometime times I pay bills at a secure Lotto place too. It goes through immediately, and gets tagged in the next billing cycle. No lines.

Lines for bills are for last minute suckers though. Those people lining up at Flow and bmobile paying when they receive the bill and it's overdue. You didn't mention that OP. I know how much my bills will be and I allocate it and transfer before the billing cycle starts. What, they get their paycheck on the 1st of the next month? Sometimes things are tight and have to wait until next month, but I would still have 30 days left for the overdue date.

I thought was me alone but no young person should be going through lines who is less than 45 years old . Lots of options available . Wasa could even pay online and do that for a yearly payment and forget

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » January 5th, 2020, 5:15 pm

most of dem ppl trying to get rid of the old hundreds. That line look shorter/less risky than lining up at the bank.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 5th, 2020, 5:55 pm

mero wrote:
zoom rader wrote:

I tranfer to other local banks via online banking normal normal. Where you getting this info from?

You living UK or here?
Republic bank does not have this facility as yet .

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » January 5th, 2020, 6:00 pm

didn't we just learn that real ppl have their money at home and in printer-paper boxes?
how they gonna pay online

online? waz dat?...

devrat
12 pounds of Boost

Postby devrat » January 5th, 2020, 6:23 pm

FrankChag wrote:didn't we just learn that real ppl have their money at home and in printer-paper boxes?
how they gonna pay online

online? waz dat?...
20200105_182243.jpeg

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » January 5th, 2020, 6:42 pm

using telecoms as an example, I love what digicel jamaica used to do, not sure if they still do it

if you use the online portal to top up, if you buy a certain amount of phone credit, you get much more per dollar than if you bought the same amount at a physical store

back here in tnt, whenever the digital kiosks actually work in c3 or sando proper, i use them, in and out of the store in 90 seconds or less, but they are almost always down so i resort to topping up online by default now

In terms of long, slow lines, is mostly old people or people who refuse to understand the basic instructions from the kiosk.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » January 5th, 2020, 7:06 pm

zoom rader wrote:

It's also because we are blacklisted financially.

If you try to launch an app on Google Store/Play you are limited to the "freemium" model you cannot set a price of offer in app purchases all because the banking system in Trinidad and Tobago is not up to international regulatory policy standards.

When it comes to doing business internationally with US or foreign currency tough luck even if you services like WIPAY even if the transaction is in US you are forced to clear in TT. I believe even PayPal has limits as to what can be done.

We are under-performing digitally mostly because we have a horrible financial system and very little to offer other wise to offset it.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » January 5th, 2020, 9:08 pm

so old ppl in the foreign countries doh pay online?

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 5th, 2020, 9:32 pm

op never gone to an apple store?

Arcmanov
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Arcmanov » January 5th, 2020, 9:52 pm

maj. tom wrote:It's a lot of older people who are stuck in the lines at the banks. They don't know how apps and SSL work, and are actually going to be more susceptible to malware and doing nonsense. Most online scams are targeted at older people as well. I avoid the banks as much as I can and do most stuff online. I cannot speak for what's available for the business/commercial side of banking, but I would think a lot of it is on the apps. You could literally lie down in your bed and pay all your bills on the phone before you fall asleep. There is also the older method of dial telephone banking.

We on the same page.
I haven't lined up to pay a Bmobile, Flow, TTEC, or Greendot bill in years. The facilities are slowly but surely being introduced...is people own fault why they refuse to get with the times.

If we as a nation was willing to embrace the tech to make simple things like bill-payments easier, all them lines would be a thing of the past.

aaron17

Postby aaron17 » January 5th, 2020, 9:56 pm

Yuh know how much time I beg d ole folks to convert...steups.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 5th, 2020, 10:09 pm

redmanjp wrote:so old ppl in the foreign countries doh pay online?
You would be surprised. In UK old folks want nothing to do with computer much less for a cell phone.

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » January 5th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Arcmanov wrote:

We on the same page.
I haven't lined up to pay a Bmobile, Flow, TTEC, or Greendot bill in years. The facilities are slowly but surely being introduced...is people own fault why they refuse to get with the times.

If we as a nation was willing to embrace the tech to make simple things like bill-payments easier, all them lines would be a thing of the past.

i sign up for bmobile online payments but for some reason 1 of the accounts (blink security) info hasn't been posted there in months so to get info about that i have to go in to one of their stores

Arcmanov
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Arcmanov » January 5th, 2020, 10:23 pm

aaron17 wrote:Yuh know how much time I beg d ole folks to convert...steups.
Steupppssss....dan, is YEARS now I trying to convince my mother to sign up properly for Republiconline. All da headache she does hadda go through just to line up in the branch to pay credit card... All that could be eliminated.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 6th, 2020, 8:17 am

Current technology and trends are well out of the scope of baby boomers. Untrustworthy to a lot, and rightly so because they are the main target of scammers and phishing. The 1980s and early 1990s tech years were their peak understanding era.

Guys, one day we will be there too eh. By 2045 or so we will refuse to learn and accept the new ways and falling for all kind of AI scam :lol:

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » January 6th, 2020, 9:12 am

QUESTION: Why Is Trinidad So UNDER Powered Digitally?
ANSWER: Because it's a 3rd world, back-water, green fig republic (so-called "leaders" to dumb to even realize they could at least aspire to & even acquire banana republic status with a lil effort) with multiple black markets where excessive volumes of cash are used to conduct "business" because physical cash notes is easier to move/wash/use undetected than digital currency, & the people like it this way.

Next question.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » January 6th, 2020, 9:42 am

88sins wrote:QUESTION: Why Is Trinidad So UNDER Powered Digitally?
ANSWER: Because it's a 3rd world, back-water, green fig republic (so-called "leaders" to dumb to even realize they could at least aspire to & even acquire banana republic status with a lil effort) with multiple black markets where excessive volumes of cash are used to conduct "business" because physical cash notes is easier to move/wash/use undetected than digital currency, & the people like it this way.

Next question.

Occam's razor.
The most predictable hypothesis for not wanting digital financial records is corruption/banditry.
Anytime a ministry delaying some easy technology (cough-transport-div-cough), it's not bc they're stupid; its because they have things to hide.

So when you have an oil/energy-based economy still using vote-books in their ministries (probably, literally, the only one in the world or at least the commonwealth), we all know why.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » January 6th, 2020, 9:45 am

maj. tom wrote:Current technology and trends are well out of the scope of baby boomers. Untrustworthy to a lot, and rightly so because they are the main target of scammers and phishing. The 1980s and early 1990s tech years were their peak understanding era.

Guys, one day we will be there too eh. By 2045 or so we will refuse to learn and accept the new ways and falling for all kind of AI scam :lol:

Who you trying to convince you're not a boomer, boomer.
You quoting 1969 Bowie lyrics.... :lol:

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » January 6th, 2020, 9:50 am

1st world country problems. I used to beat up on them kinda things b4 : efficiency effectiveness professionalism. Then I came to the realization that in trini we is ah 1x1 country. So I just give up,

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » January 6th, 2020, 9:58 am

88sins wrote:QUESTION: Why Is Trinidad So UNDER Powered Digitally?

Next question.
Greed is the main reason, especially with the banks .

It's all about the banks controlling your money.

When you think of it , it really does not make sense keeping your money in a bank. They give you jack 5cit for it and you have to pay them to keep it for your.

If every took their money out the banks will collapse.

Old folks and Muslims are very smart to advoid fees

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”