Forums

All things Presidential thread *now with state housing

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

All things Presidential thread *now with state housing

Postby redmanjp » August 28th, 2019, 1:51 pm

https://trinidadexpress.com/news/local/president-knocks-national-anthem-at-carifesta/article_806f91a6-c900-11e9-addf-9735cfc74391.html
President knocks National Anthem at Carifesta
Camille Hunte Aug 27, 2019 Updated 21 hrs ago

Singer: Danielle Williams, sings the national anthem during the closing ceremony of Carifesta XIV at the Queen's Park Savannah, Port of Spain, on Saturday afternoon. -Photo: DEXTER PHILIP

President Paula Mae Weekes is unimpressed with the performance of the national anthem at the closing ceremony of CARIFESTA XIV.

The rendition, by singer Danielle Williams, prompted a release from the Office of the President detailing how the anthem must be sung.

Williams took some creative license during her performance of the anthem on Sunday, incorporating an opera style at the beginning and at the end.

The President said the performance was “unacceptable”.

“A discordant note was struck at the closing ceremony, when an unacceptable rendition of our National Anthem was performed,” the President said in a release.

“The National Anthem must be sung in its original music; no introduction or coda can be added or other artistic licence taken in its rendition.”

Weekes said the offence is compounded when it occurs at an official function like CARIFESTA XIV.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Re: President knocks National Anthem at Carifesta

Postby zoom rader » August 28th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Weeks dam right.

Give dem chance and they will jamaicanise it

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: President knocks performance of National Anthem at Carifesta

Postby eliteauto » August 28th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Fully agree with the President's criticism

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » August 28th, 2019, 2:02 pm

How many people even know de national anthem?

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » August 28th, 2019, 2:08 pm

only thing constant is change...

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby redmanjp » August 28th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Most of it was OK, but the beginning though... you wouldn't know it was the Anthem she singing

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » August 28th, 2019, 2:49 pm

"..and may god blass our nation" :lol:

Girl, FOH with that overworked failure, yes.

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 28th, 2019, 3:12 pm

i only see a lil piece of it on d tv news

yea d woman changed it up from d norm but i doh see wais d big deal , is there a written law on how it shud be read or sang ?

funny how we rarely hear d president speak on way more serious public matters ...

SMc
punchin NOS

Postby SMc » August 28th, 2019, 3:14 pm

zoom rader wrote:Weeks dam right.

Give dem chance and they will jamaicanise it

Maybe she was trying to de-Guyanese it to meet the current populations expectations?

anyway- I cant sing and wouldn't normally criticise someone who doing something I cant- but the reality was she was toots, its so far away from it could have sounded like if done well is scary...Pat must be crying at this point (I think he still alive- or now may longer be)

Also nobody did the 'pshhh's' cybal noises with their mouth at the end which makes it even worse.

screwbash
Riding on 18's

Postby screwbash » August 28th, 2019, 4:33 pm

the president deaf and dumb on other matters of great important such as murder rate, crime, unemployement, climate change, basic food and shelter issues and she go open she piehole about the singing of the national anthem. lord fadda.

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » August 28th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Well at least it wasn't sung in Spanish....... yet.

Too much deviation and it's no longer the national anthem, it's a song.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 28th, 2019, 5:41 pm

All this kinda kakahole thing going on in Trinidad and daz wah upset Weekes...wdmc

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby MaxPower » August 28th, 2019, 5:46 pm

Why is this news

rollingstock
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rollingstock » August 28th, 2019, 6:01 pm

You can tell those you have no national pride.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 28th, 2019, 7:12 pm

Yes there is a law.
Patrick S. Castagne composed the words and music of the National Anthem in 1962. The words of the National Anthem reflect the nature and strength of the people of Trinidad and Tobago and our courage as one nation working towards living in unity despite our diversity. The National Anthem should be accorded the respect due to it when played, and on no occasion should it be treated with scant courtesy. While it must be played in the original music, the pitch, speed and tone can be changed.

When the Anthem is being played, all persons should pay respect to it by standing to attention. Men in civilian dress should remove their headdress. Commissioned Officers of the Armed Forces, Gazetted Officers of the Police Service, Cadet Force Officers and Officers of the Fire Services, Prisons Service, St John Ambulance Brigade, Red Cross Society, Boy Scouts Association and Girl Guides Association, in uniform are to salute. All other ranks and all other persons are to stand to attention.

There is no law that says you must stand for the National Anthem, it is simply protocol.

https://otp.tt/trinidad-and-tobago/anthem/

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 28th, 2019, 7:13 pm

Well at least we know what the President does do now. Working for them $$$$$$$$

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » August 28th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Rubberstamp
maj. tom wrote:Well at least we know what the President does do now. Working for them $$$$$$$$

matr1x
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby matr1x » August 28th, 2019, 9:58 pm

At least frogmouth took the time address the pertinent issues in Trinidad. Must be tiring being buried in snatch

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » August 29th, 2019, 6:20 am

vaiostation wrote:How many people even know de national anthem?

very few if any at all, I didn't even know that half of my co-workers were actually vagrants until only recently.

This was also the reasoning my boss gave me when I asked him how come he only hiring Vene, he say trinis too dutty and illiterate, I honestly couldn't disagree with facts.

Did you know half of this country thinks that dinosaurs were fake and it is a scam that scientists apparently came up with?

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » August 29th, 2019, 6:31 am

We have a president??? But she damn right on this topic

How many schools still teach this

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » August 29th, 2019, 6:59 am

give them a chance and they will butcher any music
look at how any and everybody is a jazz musician now

goalpost
punchin NOS

Postby goalpost » August 29th, 2019, 7:52 am

President really have nothing better to do oui..

antlind
Riding on 17's

Postby antlind » August 29th, 2019, 8:36 am

It wasn’t that bad. We have bigger problems to address in this country.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » August 29th, 2019, 9:03 am

Haven't heard the rendition the President is referring to but the few times I hear ppl try to flair the anthem up it sounded like real toots.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » August 29th, 2019, 9:28 am

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
vaiostation wrote:How many people even know de national anthem?

very few if any at all, I didn't even know that half of my co-workers were actually vagrants until only recently.

This was also the reasoning my boss gave me when I asked him how come he only hiring Vene, he say trinis too dutty and illiterate, I honestly couldn't disagree with facts.

Did you know half of this country thinks that dinosaurs were fake and it is a scam that scientists apparently came up with?

Maybe the problem is not Trinis....its your boss.

Les Bain
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby Les Bain » August 29th, 2019, 9:52 am

Dizzy28 wrote:Haven't heard the rendition the President is referring to but the few times I hear ppl try to flair the anthem up it sounded like real toots.

Video is embedded in OP's post.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » August 29th, 2019, 10:04 am

yes it really does sound like some game of thrones rendition kaka

https://vimeo.com/356267272
anthem music starts @ 00:36 ; singing starts @ 1:12
tbh it's only the intro that weird. the rest of the song uses the same melody, etc. as the original.

Use headphones or something if you don't want your dog to start biting up the chair leg.
Last edited by maj. tom on August 29th, 2019, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » August 29th, 2019, 10:04 am

Rant via le facebook (Not me but I agree)

President takes issue with variation of anthem...is big NEWS

O' Lord Tanty...full silence on the worsening roads...golden silence on $100 M paid for non-existent oil...judicious silence on monumental corruption in front your face...abysmal silence on the Big Mac caught like a fat rat in a trap...eerie silence on the closing of Petrotrin and the fiasco with Malcolm J...silence when 65000 jobs are lost...stunned silence on $ 80 M contract to a Minister's wife to power wash a stadium (check the real cost to build a new one), systematic silence on rent paid to a minister's family, the amount which can build two new similar buildings...blissful silence on the millions wasted on the Tobago bamboo rafts...tranquil silence on a leader caught repeatedly showing blatant bias, nepotism and caught lying over and over...and is a law unto himself...not a word on the unrecoverable millions paid to fictitious flood victims...awkward silence on the MOE who claims that all schools are ready and children still going to a temple for classes...subsequent silence of the escalating murder rate and crimes and gangs and drugs in T&T...dead silence when the Freedom of information act is adjusted so that it is no longer free...icy silence when 100 000 Vennys invade the shores at a monumental cost to taxpayers...respectful silence when criminals aka Community leaders get big contracts for big money and the law-abiding ones are jobless...calculated silence when the bigwigs get big increase and big pensions x 2 and x 3 and others are asked to tighten their belt till they looking like Jack Spaniards...

But the anthem being sung differently is so horrifying, so unforgivable...so disastrous and so dastardly...that it is enough to break that golden silence...and it makes all these other societal ills and 1000 more...just pale by comparison...

You is ah boss, Tanty...Is it to be A sharp or D minor? Now, I succumb to mutinous silence...

Rovin
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Rovin » August 29th, 2019, 11:03 am

president in this country is basically like d king in chess , holds d highest position but basically sits there with very little movement while those in d cabinet is like d rest of chess pieces , we d ppl wud be d pawns ....

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 29th, 2019, 11:09 am

Slartibartfast wrote:Rant via le facebook (Not me but I agree)

President takes issue with variation of anthem...is big NEWS

O' Lord Tanty...full silence on the worsening roads...golden silence on $100 M paid for non-existent oil...judicious silence on monumental corruption in front your face...abysmal silence on the Big Mac caught like a fat rat in a trap...eerie silence on the closing of Petrotrin and the fiasco with Malcolm J...silence when 65000 jobs are lost...stunned silence on $ 80 M contract to a Minister's wife to power wash a stadium (check the real cost to build a new one), systematic silence on rent paid to a minister's family, the amount which can build two new similar buildings...blissful silence on the millions wasted on the Tobago bamboo rafts...tranquil silence on a leader caught repeatedly showing blatant bias, nepotism and caught lying over and over...and is a law unto himself...not a word on the unrecoverable millions paid to fictitious flood victims...awkward silence on the MOE who claims that all schools are ready and children still going to a temple for classes...subsequent silence of the escalating murder rate and crimes and gangs and drugs in T&T...dead silence when the Freedom of information act is adjusted so that it is no longer free...icy silence when 100 000 Vennys invade the shores at a monumental cost to taxpayers...respectful silence when criminals aka Community leaders get big contracts for big money and the law-abiding ones are jobless...calculated silence when the bigwigs get big increase and big pensions x 2 and x 3 and others are asked to tighten their belt till they looking like Jack Spaniards...

But the anthem being sung differently is so horrifying, so unforgivable...so disastrous and so dastardly...that it is enough to break that golden silence...and it makes all these other societal ills and 1000 more...just pale by comparison...

You is ah boss, Tanty...Is it to be A sharp or D minor? Now, I succumb to mutinous silence...

totally agree

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”