Forums

Star Trek - Picard

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Star Trek - Picard

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » May 23rd, 2019, 2:03 pm

Sir Patrick Stewart is back: CBS has just released the first teaser trailer for its upcoming series Star Trek: Picard, set to premiere later this year on the CBS All Access streaming service.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Star Trek - Picard

Postby maj. tom » May 23rd, 2019, 2:37 pm

Quite a few novels after canon TNG deal with the Borg. Picard never truly got rid of the Borg from his brain. His mind is melded with them. I'm guessing that will be a major theme in this series.

They also expanded into analyzing the existence of Q.

RedVEVO
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RedVEVO » May 23rd, 2019, 6:45 pm

Personally he is most boring and I prefer Worf.

eKeith
Street 2NR

Postby eKeith » May 23rd, 2019, 10:42 pm

With the same team behind Discovery and the loss of Netflix funding I am not expecting much except decent acting by at least one character. However, perhaps the smaller budget will lead to less explosions and overdone set pieces in favour of dramatic storylines. One can wish...

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 8th, 2019, 9:49 pm

brickman
18 pounds of Boost

Postby brickman » January 24th, 2020, 12:16 am

1st episode wasn't bad,hoping it gets better & doesn't start to turn into another crappy discovery.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » January 24th, 2020, 7:14 am

Eh go lie, the episode was riveting.

Flawed science for a Star Trek show though. Also couldn't help but notice the striking similarity in the storyline to Battlestar Galactica...like it hard for dem fellas to come up with something original these days.

Let's see where it goes...:|

Spoilers:
*STP: Synthetics = BSG: Cylons, created to serve their masters, some "sleeping" until activated, attack their creators.

*The premise of cloning DATA from a single positron seems foolish. A positron is basically an electric charge and contains no information unlike a cell which contains DNA. But it's the future so the process may be explained later on.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » January 24th, 2020, 2:35 pm

I watched it last night. Very good start to the series. As an avid fan of the ST Universe, I am going to write some Star Trek lingo here:

No, it's much more than that. The way I speculate it, the Borg has infiltrated the Federation a long time ago. That's what caused the sabotage at Utopia Planitia shipyards, and why they never discovered why the synthetics did it. "Synthetics" aren't slaves made to serve masters, they're unique and independent life like Data was, and would be respected under the Federation Charter. That programme of creating synthetics ended and was outlawed after the Mars disaster because the synthetics were blamed for it. It would be assumed that there are some out there hiding, because they are sentient life and don't want to die.

The assassins moved like Section 31, so I wouldn't be surprised if they joined with a few rogue Romulans (who has every reason to mortally hate synthetics) to completely erase and rid the galaxy of synthetics, because they have inside information about the Borg infiltration. And the Federation withdrawal from helping the Romulus Empire during the supernova was a Borg scheme to collapse the Federation from within... which will take decades. The Borg had long realized that the Federation is a unique enemy that cannot just be defeated and assimilated like so many other races. So they hatched a new plan, dastardly and devious and working along the lines of human imagination. Lives lost mean nothing to the Borg. Time means nothing to the Borg. That final scene with the Borg cube opens up the entire series to all this derived speculation.

Borg Hugh and Seven of 9 play big parts in this series, so it suggests that as well. Those characters were rescued Borg. The story will revolve around the Borg and Picard's deep links to them revisited from TNG Season 3 to First Contact. The Borg never really left Picard's soul. They're still in his brain somewhere, as evidenced in First Contact.

Q will also show up because it had large parts to play with the Borg in a few TNG and VOY novels outside of the TV series. Q can manifest as any character, not necessarily the original actors John de Lancie and Suzie Plakton.

And finally a "single positronic neuron" from a positronic brain/neural network built by Dr. Soong. A positronic matrix described in Star Trek is a very complex AI network resembling the human brain in terms of its neuronal complexity. A single human neuron cell has all the DNA of a human. It's the same concept they are trying to postulate. They're not referring to a positron antimatter particle as we know it today in physics.

FrankChag
Riding on 16's

Postby FrankChag » January 25th, 2020, 11:49 am

^^^ shut your damn mouth.. #bringbackjaneway (sobs in orange)

brickman
18 pounds of Boost

Postby brickman » March 26th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Really dissapointed with that season finale.......Will be going back to Star Trek Online for the only thing left that still feels like real star trek.

hydroep
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby hydroep » March 26th, 2020, 2:35 pm

Stopped watching after the 3rd episode. Didn't think anything could be worse than STD but gosh boi.

Star Trek: Discard...:|

nemisis
punchin NOS

Postby nemisis » March 26th, 2020, 3:56 pm

Hey hey
shut-your-ne-dirty-whore-mouth-cnegenaor-net-shut-your-dirty-52502675.jpeg

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » March 26th, 2020, 5:26 pm

brickman wrote:Really dissapointed with that season finale.......Will be going back to Star Trek Online for the only thing left that still feels like real star trek.

including picard's death with transfer to synth foreshadowing is a complete cop out. they should have left out him dying out of the story. it wasn't even a plot device.

data's perception of life seemed flawed as well. soji can't die but picard made her realise she was real. yet data thought death would mean that he was alive? meh

h1tach1
Street 2NR

Postby h1tach1 » March 29th, 2020, 2:23 am

Also disappointed with the finale...

st7 wrote:
brickman wrote:Really dissapointed with that season finale.......Will be going back to Star Trek Online for the only thing left that still feels like real star trek.

including picard's death with transfer to synth foreshadowing is a complete cop out. they should have left out him dying out of the story. it wasn't even a plot device.

data's perception of life seemed flawed as well. soji can't die but picard made her realise she was real. yet data thought death would mean that he was alive? meh

Like you said, why even add his death as part of the story line? You don't call a show Picard and then kill off the title character. Everyone knew he was coming back for season 2, so his death could not invoke the same emotion had his fate been in question. This also meant the writing had to be really good to bring him back, which it was not. In fact it was terrible. You saw it coming way before it was mentioned and it was <in Spock's voice> illogical. You would put him in a synthetic's body and not give him immortality or extra abilities? Nope. This just seemed lazy.

Then there's Data. Why have him "die" again? As much as I was glad to have him in the plot throughout the season, why do it like this? Now that I think of it, could his consciousness have been transferred to a synth? That would have made more sense and fans would have loved it. (Also, I wonder why they didn't use de-aging technology to make him look more like his previous form. I assume it was due to budget.) It would be better than having Brent Spiner return to play Dr. Soong's son, who as far as I remember was NEVER mentioned in the TNG. Again, lazy writing.

Jurati murders a man, her former lover, but there is no consequence to this? Just because she helped save Picard, all is forgiven and she has moved on to Rios. um...okay.

Seven and Rafi are in a relationship now? No build up to the fact that the characters were gay or what led to them being in a relationship. It was just inserted like a bad edit. DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Anyways, looking forward to season 2. :lol:

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » March 29th, 2020, 6:07 am

It was ok enough. Not too bad, nothing to be amazed about. I went along with it. Even though i was completely wrong about all my hopes of resolution of so many stories left in TNG which i wrote earlier in this thread. :|

But i think this is how TV writing is these days, modeled after the new Star Wars films writing "nothing makes sense."
Serialization. ('member that time South Park did a whole season on serialization? That was a commentary of the state of TV today. This is what they meant.)
I think each season of Picard, if there is more, will be an entirely serialized event. Each season will contain one complete story arc which will be disappointingly resolved without satisfying the curiosities of Star Trek fans with so many questions left untold in the canon.

So many opportunities missed for the writers to create more depth and meaning in the canon Star Trek Universe, and revisit good ideas left in TOS, TNG and VOY... but left untouched because they want to appeal to the new-age instagram 3-second attention span audience out there.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » March 29th, 2020, 11:48 am

maj. tom wrote:It was ok enough. Not too bad, nothing to be amazed about. I went along with it. Even though i was completely wrong about all my hopes of resolution of so many stories left in TNG which i wrote earlier in this thread. :|

But i think this is how TV writing is these days, modeled after the new Star Wars films writing "nothing makes sense."
Serialization. ('member that time South Park did a whole season on serialization? That was a commentary of the state of TV today. This is what they meant.)
I think each season of Picard, if there is more, will be an entirely serialized event. Each season will contain one complete story arc which will be disappointingly resolved without satisfying the curiosities of Star Trek fans with so many questions left untold in the canon.

So many opportunities missed for the writers to create more depth and meaning in the canon Star Trek Universe, and revisit good ideas left in TOS, TNG and VOY... but left untouched because they want to appeal to the new-age instagram 3-second attention span audience out there.

Remember, sadly, these are not made for hardcore ST fans. They throw in Easter eggs and cameos to invoke the nostalgia response but are mainly focussed on the younger generation who have never seen any older series. For the same reason Star Wars is now almost a romantic drama between rey and ben.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » March 29th, 2020, 12:52 pm

How much virtue signaling and SJW propaganda will there be in this new Star Trek?

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » October 9th, 2022, 4:20 pm

They pull out everything for the 3rd and final season! Feb 2023.

From the old TNG simulation of Sherlock Holmes' Professor Moriarty to Lore.
Don't forget that the Borg is now part of the Federation at the end of season 2. You can skip the entire convoluted roundabout going nowhere nonsense of season 1.

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » April 16th, 2023, 12:59 pm

This is Officially now the best season of Picard for me.

Spoiler alert!
Don’t watch the following videos for those who hasn’t seen the series yet.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » April 16th, 2023, 1:09 pm

'Overall' i am hearing the entire thing is bad.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 16th, 2023, 1:59 pm

aaron17 wrote:'Overall' i am hearing the entire thing is bad.

You're hearing wrong.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » April 16th, 2023, 2:14 pm

st7
punchin NOS

Postby st7 » April 16th, 2023, 2:18 pm

i hearing season 3 going rel good. i thought season 1 was good... hadda pick back up season 2

The Bamboo Online
3NE 2NR for life

Postby The Bamboo Online » April 16th, 2023, 5:58 pm

DMan7 wrote:

Lol true main actors are retirees so it’s slow paced with small bursts of action

Borg wanted to join the federation in season 2 looks like they got rejected and retaliated

brickman
18 pounds of Boost

Postby brickman » April 16th, 2023, 7:31 pm

That was another faction of liberated,the real borg are still in the delta quadrant.Season 3 has been some of the best trek in years,you can skip 1 & 2,Terry saved Picard & he can go out in style now.

DMan7
punchin NOS

Postby DMan7 » April 16th, 2023, 7:46 pm

Arcmanov
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Arcmanov » April 18th, 2023, 8:52 pm

Episode 6 and 9 hit me right in the nostalgia nutz...

...aaaaand I don't care. This has been some of THE best Trek in years (aside from Strange New Worlds).

I hope they reallllllllllly stick the landing in episode 10.

timothymcdavid
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby timothymcdavid » April 19th, 2023, 7:45 am

Honestly I didnt like Picard Season 1 ... Have Season 2 to view but premise didnt excite me much ... hearing good things about 3.

Is a similar issue to me and the MCU I just couldnt stomach Wanda Vision, Star Wars and Kenobi and let us not forget Star Trek Discovery.

So lost interest in everything.

Guess I go have to learn to swallow meh vomit cause there is so much to catch up on.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 19th, 2023, 9:26 am

Skip Season 1, it pointless.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”