Forums

UTT Jobs

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

UTT Jobs

Postby Chris00007 » May 2nd, 2019, 10:43 pm

I'm almost finished with the NETD Mechanical Engineering diploma at UTT and i'm hearing how getting jobs are getting harder now. I know a lot of companies prefer qulifications from UWI but I not sure how it goes for a Diploma from UTT. I'm thinking about doing my Degree at UTT afterwards because i can't make those fulltime classes at UWI.

I'd like to know from diploma graduates of UTT how the job sector looks after you finish the NETD programme. Is there a need to do the Degree right away?

Also, how the salary for a new Mechanical Technician looks? My GPA is fairly high also.
Are Mechanical Technicians/ Engineers in demand right now?

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Re: UTT Jobs

Postby nervewrecker » May 2nd, 2019, 10:47 pm

You on a straight road to unemployment.

If you do get a job, prepare for dog money.

But look on the bright side, at least your job has a fancy title. Imma injinair

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » May 2nd, 2019, 10:51 pm

nervewrecker wrote:You on a straight road to unemployment.

If you do get a job, prepare for dog money.

But look on the bright side, at least your job has a fancy title. Imma injinair

I've heard that Technicians from UTT have a better chance than degree holders. And what exactly is "dog money"

vaiostation
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby vaiostation » May 2nd, 2019, 10:59 pm

As someone who has NETD MET with Plant experience, I can tell you that whether your qualifications is from uwi or utt, it don't have work. I myself tried. I dropped off literally hundreds of resumes and not a single interview. Plus. Remember you competing with people who more qualified than you, and the thousands of graduates that completed school, previously.

I give up on that long time. Industry going down bro. Won't surprise me if companies start shipping their plants to another country with more natural gas. It also won't surprise me if the government begins to end gate funding for a lot of these programs.

I ain't want to discourage you, for all I know, you might be one of the lucky few, but just know that it have a couple hundred thousand trying to be lucky as well. Plus when them Venezuelans get their ID card, they gonna apply for the same jobs that you going for. Plus some men done have links on de inside already.

I have partners with degrees and diplomas, with close to 10 years experience and they cutting grass, and working in hardware.

My only advice to you, is to do your best to leave this country, ASAP. Take it from someone who went through what you currently going through, and accomplished a lot, but in the end nothing matters if you can't get a job.
See if you could go Canada or something. I know a good few people that went there after petrotrin close down and they succeeding.

Chris00007
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Chris00007 » May 2nd, 2019, 11:25 pm

vaiostation wrote:As someone who has NETD MET with Plant experience, I can tell you that whether your qualifications is from uwi or utt, it don't have work. I myself tried. I dropped off literally hundreds of resumes and not a single interview. Plus. Remember you competing with people who more qualified than you, and the thousands of graduates that completed school, previously.

I give up on that long time. Industry going down bro. Won't surprise me if companies start shipping their plants to another country with more natural gas. It also won't surprise me if the government begins to end gate funding for a lot of these programs.

I ain't want to discourage you, for all I know, you might be one of the lucky few, but just know that it have a couple hundred thousand trying to be lucky as well. Plus when them Venezuelans get their ID card, they gonna apply for the same jobs that you going for. Plus some men done have links on de inside already.

I have partners with degrees and diplomas, with close to 10 years experience and they cutting grass, and working in hardware.

My only advice to you, is to do your best to leave this country, ASAP. Take it from someone who went through what you currently going through, and accomplished a lot, but in the end nothing matters if you can't get a job.
See if you could go Canada or something. I know a good few people that went there after petrotrin close down and they succeeding.

Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking about leaving the country but I don't think the NETD MET is recognized internationally (correct me if im wrong). I guess i'll just wait until after im finished with the programme to see how it goes.

I personally know a few people who's currently doing their Degree at UTT and they have jobs in the industry already but i know its generally down to luck and who you know.

It's a shame to see what this country is coming too, and it has so much potential especially in the oil&gas sector. I thought Mechanical Engineering was a solid engineering field that's sure to get a good job afterwards but I was surely wrong.

Is best if we go into politics and theif back we money from the government

stev
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby stev » May 2nd, 2019, 11:29 pm

Degree or no degree it's really tough out there...no matter what institution it's from...

By all means pursue a degree...but dont let everything u want in life depend on it.

U gonna have to be creative / adaptive in this day...do u have a liking or niche market along the lines of your field of study? dont look at what the NETD can get u just yet....can u identify what is it u like to do (dont just say mechanical engineering lol)? Maybe the tuners here can help u find a niche market for work.

death365
Riding on 18's

Postby death365 » May 3rd, 2019, 8:57 am

stev wrote:Degree or no degree it's really tough out there...no matter what institution it's from...

By all means pursue a degree...but dont let everything u want in life depend on it.

U gonna have to be creative / adaptive in this day...do u have a liking or niche market along the lines of your field of study? dont look at what the NETD can get u just yet....can u identify what is it u like to do (dont just say mechanical engineering lol)? Maybe the tuners here can help u find a niche market for work.

you can try project management , it will fall in line with area of study

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » May 3rd, 2019, 9:20 am

Getting employment right now is tough, but education and experience makes you more employable.
Start with any related job, build relevant experience and continue your education, you'll get there. UTT grads may have a tougher time than UWI grads but I've seen that only if they're applying for Engineer level jobs. Technicians usually fairly ok coming out of the UTT pipeline, but prepare to suffer for a while when you now start. Shitty hours, shitty conditions, shitty pay, shitty employers or any combination of all four.

Cliffs: Keep learning. Level up.

jsali
3NE 2NR for life

Postby jsali » May 3rd, 2019, 11:19 am

Don't expect to get a job that pays you based on your qualifications. A lot of companies prefer to train you from scratch so they can pay you sheit as a "trainee"

But that's just how it is... Survival is the name of the game until something else comes up. Save as much as you can..

Cantmis
punchin NOS

Postby Cantmis » May 3rd, 2019, 11:37 am

"TRAINEE" tech.... then tech !

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » May 3rd, 2019, 12:17 pm

death365 wrote:
stev wrote:Degree or no degree it's really tough out there...no matter what institution it's from...

you can try project management , it will fall in line with area of study

Project management is over saturated as well. Your PMP means nothing without a Master's degree to back it up. If you keeping outside of the STEM field then a straight Bachelor's in business management might work if you lucky.

I'll speaking from personal experience as someone with a PMP and BSc.

JDM_23
Ricer

Postby JDM_23 » May 3rd, 2019, 8:07 pm

Chris00007 wrote:
vaiostation wrote:As someone who has NETD MET with Plant experience, I can tell you that whether your qualifications is from uwi or utt, it don't have work. I myself tried. I dropped off literally hundreds of resumes and not a single interview. Plus. Remember you competing with people who more qualified than you, and the thousands of graduates that completed school, previously.

Thanks for the advice. I was actually thinking about leaving the country but I don't think the NETD MET is recognized internationally (correct me if im wrong). I guess i'll just wait until after im finished with the programme to see how it goes.

I personally know a few people who's currently doing their Degree at UTT and they have jobs in the industry already but i know its generally down to luck and who you know.

It's a shame to see what this country is coming too, and it has so much potential especially in the oil&gas sector. I thought Mechanical Engineering was a solid engineering field that's sure to get a good job afterwards but I was surely wrong.

Is best if we go into politics and theif back we money from the government

Its a tough job market right now, I did the BASC in Utilities Engineering at UTT, but what I can say is you have to firstly get any relevant industry experience in any company no matter how big or small. What I can also say is that the majority of companies tend to prefer graduates from UWI with degrees, but with the diploma they prefer UTT graduates and many companies have graduate training programmes such as Atlantic and PLNL, but it all comes down to who you may know, sometimes you may even get lucky and get through but in these times its becoming more and more difficult with the level of nepotism occurring at many companies. However, do not let that discourage you, I still apply for any vacancies that I see relating to my field.

In addition pursuing courses to gain other skills such as online programs can also help with developing other skills not related to your field and this as it shows you are geared towards continual learning. Currently there are many websites that have such courses and some of them even give you a certificate when you complete them.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » May 3rd, 2019, 11:09 pm

I will be real with you. A degree may not get you a job but it teaches you a lot.
I had to do economics, psychology, sociology, entrepreneurship and all kinda shiz in my degree. I majoerd in environmental and did electrical engineering more than 10 years ago.
I fell back on my electrical background and got a job with it. Started in the AC department and picked it up on 7 weeks.
The stuff that I learned in my degree is what helped me build my business today. Without it I may not have been able to be so competitive and have the kinda clientlle I have.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”