Water pump

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Water pump

Postby Ted_v2 » June 7th, 2020, 7:21 pm

IMG_6167.JPG

turns out these stuff needs to be flushed out ever so often, that i never did. im 100 percent sure its some sediment inside that started it.

i have a state select water heater i plan to flush this weekend and take a look at the anode that does rotten

dtopshottas
3NE 2NR for life

Postby dtopshottas » November 14th, 2020, 7:39 pm

Good day all,
Have anyone installed the Square D Low Pressure Cut Off Switch? Or do I use the traditional float in water tank to prevent the pump from burning.

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » November 15th, 2020, 10:39 am

Ted_v2 wrote:
IMG_6167.JPG

turns out these stuff needs to be flushed out ever so often, that i never did. im 100 percent sure its some sediment inside that started it.

i have a state select water heater i plan to flush this weekend and take a look at the anode that does rotten
Yea, my pump man say every year or two give it a scrapdown and clean out. Esp since I don't use filters .
Granted I only see my pump man every 3-4 years when the smart head buss or bearings go bad.... and he does cuss to clean the buildup

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » November 15th, 2020, 11:43 am

I did my water heater last weekend after 10yrs, amazing to say the least. Cleaned the refrigerator cooling fins underneath also. Expecting a drop in electricity consumption next cycle.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 15th, 2020, 12:46 pm

pressure switch and pressure tank will last longer than them stupid smart heads

VexXx Dogg wrote:
Ted_v2 wrote:IMG_6167.JPG

Yea, my pump man say every year or two give it a scrapdown and clean out. Esp since I don't use filters .
Granted I only see my pump man every 3-4 years when the smart head buss or bearings go bad.... and he does cuss to clean the buildup

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 15th, 2020, 12:51 pm

was having a major issue with pump cycling endlessly
like clicking on and off every 2 seconds

changed pressure switch to digital pressure switch
changed to a pressure tank 4 times bigger from a old pump i had
with the digital pressure switch you can see the pressure drop in decimals so i went around the whole house fixing leaks and changing old pipes

pump comfortably comes on at 30psi and cuts off at 50psi, nice long run times

initially as soon as you open a pipe it use to come on, now you can see the psi have to drop to 30psi before it comes on

also, is it regular air from a compressor i using to recharge the pressure tank?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 15th, 2020, 2:22 pm

it could also have been your pressure tank was busted to cause the constant cycling

another cause of cycling is if the check valve on the pump intake from the water tank is too far from the pump
it should ideally be directly on the pump

never saw those digital switches locally
you didn’t have a regular pressure gauge on the pump?

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 15th, 2020, 2:24 pm

yeah i had a regular one before,

watersource sells the digital one for $300

Chimera
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Chimera » November 15th, 2020, 2:26 pm

this so much easier to adjust and view
Attachments
123789877_680889965901117_1085127871469583100_o.jpg

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » November 15th, 2020, 2:50 pm

Phone Surgeon wrote:this so much easier to adjust and view
Good thing I see this, soon I looking to put in a pressure tank on the system, this will come in very handy

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » November 15th, 2020, 9:12 pm

that looking like good trouble

my thing does conk out all random hours and does need diagnosing quick.
last year christmas eve me and nervewrecker troubleshooting my water pump pressure switch, wasnt starting up properly, one of the currents wasnt reaching thru the switch.

i bought a pentax from water source, same pressure switch and smart head design, no problems yet, i refreshed the goulds in the above pic, its perfect once all the rust was removed, all the bolts to drain the case was corroded, removed with ease with my mig welder.

ill get it rebuilt at water source once some cash frees up.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 15th, 2020, 9:16 pm

there is a guy on fb i bought a used backup goilds from
he does refresh service etc reasonable and sells units he did over

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » November 16th, 2020, 7:45 pm

pugboy wrote:there is a guy on fb i bought a used backup goilds from

Name/link?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 16th, 2020, 7:46 pm

786-1381
dwayne

NR8 wrote:
pugboy wrote:there is a guy on fb i bought a used backup goilds from

Name/link?

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » November 17th, 2020, 12:58 pm

I have a pentax pm45 about 3 months which I use twice a week to pump water from the 1000 gal downstairs to the 400 gal upstairs which I use to supply the house via gravity flow. A couple times when I put on the pump I got a low humming noise for about 5 seconds then its comes on. What could cause that?

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » November 17th, 2020, 1:05 pm

capacitor could be bad or sticky bearings
but if bearings bad it should make rough sound when running

Musical Doc wrote:I have a pentax pm45 about 3 months which I use twice a week to pump water from the 1000 gal downstairs to the 400 gal upstairs which I use to supply the house via gravity flow. A couple times when I put on the pump I got a low humming noise for about 5 seconds then its comes on. What could cause that?

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » November 17th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Musical Doc wrote:I have a pentax pm45 about 3 months which I use twice a week to pump water from the 1000 gal downstairs to the 400 gal upstairs which I use to supply the house via gravity flow. A couple times when I put on the pump I got a low humming noise for about 5 seconds then its comes on. What could cause that?

The way the brass impeller is positioned so closely to the internal pump volute in the PM45, the deposits and sediment in the local water supply will cause the impeller to stick.
That’s why it hums a bit before it starts up.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » November 17th, 2020, 1:11 pm

pugboy wrote:capacitor could be bad or sticky bearings
but if bearings bad it should make rough sound when running

After 3 months? :/ I'll have it checked then

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » November 17th, 2020, 1:12 pm

wheelbarrow wrote:

The way the brass impeller is positioned so closely to the internal pump volute in the PM45, the deposits and sediment in the local water supply will cause the impeller to stick.

Ok so what damage could this cause? And is there any way to prevent that?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » November 17th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Musical Doc wrote:
wheelbarrow wrote:

This is a common problem for lift pumps with even low water turbidity. Run the pump more often for a short period of time to prevent seizure.

wheelbarrow
Riding on 17's

Postby wheelbarrow » November 17th, 2020, 1:46 pm

adnj wrote:
Musical Doc wrote:
wheelbarrow wrote:

This is a common problem for lift pumps with even low water turbidity. Run the pump more often for a short period of time to prevent seizure.

Run the pump more often.

Musical Doc
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby Musical Doc » November 17th, 2020, 2:40 pm

Will do, thanks!

trinimark
Street 2NR

Postby trinimark » May 1st, 2021, 1:20 pm

The smart head that came with my Pentax pump from Water source in 2006 lasted me until 2015 with almost daily useage.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » May 1st, 2021, 2:14 pm

you better buy lotto
go to any water source branch and you will see ppl coming to buy smartheads.....

trinimark wrote:The smart head that came with my Pentax pump from Water source in 2006 lasted me until 2015 with almost daily useage.

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 30th, 2021, 5:34 pm

Anybody could give some advice?

I sent a half HP Goulds to repair, and after about 5mins of intermittent use it gets to about 60-70 Celsius and goes dead for a few minutes then starts back up again. Web searches saying it could be a mechanical issue, since most internals were changed it might have unnecessary friction somewhere... I was thinking electrical .

In the meantime I was pondering a piper pump to use. I had a Pentax spare but that hold up by another repairman so I have to cope. Any suggestions?

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » June 30th, 2021, 5:59 pm

viedcht wrote:Anybody could give some advice?

I sent a half HP Goulds to repair, and after about 5mins of intermittent use it gets to about 60-70 Celsius and goes dead for a few minutes then starts back up again. Web searches saying it could be a mechanical issue, since most internals were changed it might have unnecessary friction somewhere... I was thinking electrical .

In the meantime I was pondering a piper pump to use. I had a Pentax spare but that hold up by another repairman so I have to cope. Any suggestions?

The overload kicks in and causes it to cut off to prevent damage. I doubt friction could put that kinda strain on the motor, besides from listening to it you would know if it's sounding sluggish. Could be the windings got damaged and it's shorting to ground. Get an electrician to check it out possible Megger test the windings as well

viedcht
Riding on 18's

Postby viedcht » June 30th, 2021, 6:19 pm

Thanks, repairman coming before the weekend to take back and re-repair... I remember there was a cheap pump selling for under $1000... You know the name by chance?
alfa wrote:

The overload kicks in and causes it to cut off to prevent damage. I doubt friction could put that kinda strain on the motor, besides from listening to it you would know if it's sounding sluggish. Could be the windings got damaged and it's shorting to ground. Get an electrician to check it out possible Megger test the windings as well

alfa
Shifting into 6th

Postby alfa » June 30th, 2021, 6:39 pm

viedcht wrote:Thanks, repairman coming before the weekend to take back and re-repair... I remember there was a cheap pump selling for under $1000... You know the name by chance?
Leo I believe. Other than that there is the no name lift pump that local dealers slap on a smart head or switch and pressure tank to and sell as a complete automatic pump. Smart head version sells for 7 to 8 hundred. Works ok.
alfa wrote:

Skillys
Street 2NR

Postby Skillys » June 30th, 2021, 7:41 pm

Had the same issue with a Gould's pump, ended up being the motor. Just by a new pump not worth the hassle to fix.

Dave
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Dave » June 30th, 2021, 7:51 pm

Leo.
Installed one in a very seldom used situation and knock wood three years later still going good. Was even a smart head unit but they came well fitted with gate valves and unions. Also quite noiseless.
viedcht wrote:Thanks, repairman coming before the weekend to take back and re-repair... I remember there was a cheap pump selling for under $1000... You know the name by chance?
alfa wrote:

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”