TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The official tropical weather thread 2020

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod
Posts: 25806
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » August 31st, 2020, 5:26 am

Allyuh real lucky yes. Up in the bush like crix

Advertisement
bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8120
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby bluefete » August 31st, 2020, 5:58 pm

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/08/30/inaccu ... et-office/

Inaccurate forecasts at Met Office
ANDREW GIOANNETTI YESTERDAY

Image
The Doppler weather radar station at Brasso Venado in the Central Range. - Lincoln Holder


The Meteorological Service of TT's (MET) forecasts are sometimes inaccurate because of broken or poorly calibrated equipment, a senior staff member has said.

So its offices are woefully underprepared for the present rainy and hurricane seasons.

He said the state entity, which operates out of the terminals at the old Piarco Airport, is also unhygienic and many staff demoralised because of apparent unfair work practices, encouraged by managers and those in higher authority.

Newsday interviewed a number of stakeholders who, on the condition of anonymity, shared their dissatisfaction with daily operations at the Met Office. They have complained of issues ranging from faulty or completely broken equipment to the infestations of pests.

Because of this, the staff say they cannot produce what is being asked of them. They allege that the many complaints and concerns expressed to those in authority have been met with indifference.

A senior employee claimed a recent change of directors has worsened the work atmosphere, instead of them "working to improve conditions and equipment for the essential services."

One person was fired last year, according to several employees, because he was becoming a "more recognised voice and social media presence" than the Met Office itself.

"He made one mistake and they used it as an excuse to get rid of him."

In addition, "It's always a fight to get the Airports Authority or Met Office to make repairs."

He said there are leaking roofs, faulty staircases, non-functioning air-condition units and poorly calibrated or non-functioning equipment, among other serious concerns.

Then he says there are incompetent managers, who force staff to do tasks which their job specifications do not include.

Image

"They do so saying the junior staff have no work to do. Meanwhile, senior management themselves have shunted their responsibilities onto OJTs (On-the-Job Trainees) or simply do not do the tasks they are responsible for. None of them are taken to task.

"And while there are one or two of the managers who would try to make a difference, there is little or no support."

The administrative staff, he said, sometimes make salaries for contract workers and remuneration for staff's travelling claims into a "muddle of incompetence," leaving them to wait months before they are paid out.

"The synoptic staff (who summarise data) have been subjected to an office with no showers, even though it is a 24/7 essential service," he said, adding that the toilets are outdated and carpets have been unchanged in decades.

"In all it is a truly unsanitary office.

"Our cleaners do a fantastic job, but there is only so many times a carpet can be vacuumed before it outlives its expectancy."

He said in terms of technology, the increased capabilities of computers, satellites and radar, have made several tasks redundant, like the plotting and analysing charts which, he says, some see as a reduction of their workload and "a reason to shunt other duties onto other officers.

"There were several reclassification exercises in the Met Service," he said. "However, the Met assistants were never reclassified (after 60 years). Now new tasks are being assigned without discussion with the union or consideration for additional compensation."

He lamented a reduction of funding for equipment and maintenance, "since during rainy season, the Met Office is the one the entire population turns to for guidance.

"The radar has been down for close to 18 months (and) the proposal for a new (NASA-operated) GOES-16 satellite imagery system is somewhere buried under the red tape. The radar and GOES-16 satellite are critical to our operations. It serves to alert us to the weather around us and what is approaching and how severe it is. The satellite especially gives us a view of the weather far to the east of us and around, while the radar gives real-time data to the east, especially during the hurricane season. It is essential equipment."

Equipment at the Met Office has been poorly maintained for years, he said, because those who are familiar with the equipment are long gone.

"From the outset, the usual repair schedules and even simple charts for recording data were impossible to source or incorrect charts were purchased," he said, putting it squarely as a matter of incompetence.

"Putting staff who are not aware of the intricacies related to the equipment, the charts, the times for the charts to be be used; the type of paper to be used, et cetera."

The Met office takes the data, which he says is "woefully inaccurate" and uses them "as gospel to generate climate data and sell this data," knowing how inaccurate it is.

A number of industries rely on the data, including oil and insurance. Students also use it regularly for research.

"These readings may only be one or two degrees, but the difference lies in when you say the max for the day was 32 or 33 when it should really be 34 or 35. It affects the heat index and humidity, etc.

"Now, to the layman, it may just be numbers. But when applied to climate data, it will throw off the data tremendously, especially when this data is being used for research and other applications.

In terms of human resources, he spoke of instance in which a person retired and received all benefits but returned to work on contract.

"Now that person is being paid his salary, yet is being given time off earned while he was in the service five years ago.

"These are, in fact, burdens the taxpayer has to face … millions being squandered because the managers have decided to spread the wealth through extra days off for the contract workers, who are not entitled to it.

"Then, there are automatic weather stations and other very expensive equipment which have never worked well," he said, using an example of a hydrothermometer which was purchased several years ago but was never used because, as he said, "the equipment repairmen requested training and the director did not see the need for training."

Director: Grouses could be political

Newsday reached out to Met Service director Ezekiel Sampson, recently. Sampson, who was promoted from assistant director, did not confirm nor deny most of the claims made by the staff.

"I maintain that if there are issues that are internal to these officers, I think the appropriate forum at first is that we address it internally," Samspson said.

"And if for some reason, they feel that those issues have not been sufficiently addressed then you take it to the next avenue, which is dealing with the permanent secretary and take it to the minister, and possibly involve the union."

Asked whether he felt the Met Service was appropriately equipped and providing accurate information, he replied, "As with any organisation, we can't get too comfortable with our position. We must always seek to do better.

"Issues concerning equipment, I would prefer to have them addressed internally. It's all subject to the availability of resources. They are not a result of anybody's inability to deal with the issues.

He admitted much of the equipment is old. "Because of wear and tear, you would have these issues arising. It's like an old car. It doesn't matter how often you change the brakes, the wear and tear, and the age of the vehicle, issues will continue to arise."

Newsday asked if he intended to deal with the issues, he said, "With elections coming up, I don't know if the issues are political or if someone is creating mischief."

However, the staff insist these problems span decades. Most also insist they are uninterested in politics and that there is no reason to suggest they have ulterior motives.

One told Newsday, "To say this is political is clearly deflecting from situations which have arisen since the period under Panday. Ganga Singh came and tried to change the office and nothing happened. So since then the govt has recognised that the Met office needs to be changed. But nothing after 20-plus years."

On August 10, the People's National Movement candidate Marvin Gonzales was elected Member of Parliament for for Lopinot/Bon Air West. He was also appointed Minister of Public Utilities under which the Met Service falls.

Newsday has reached out to Gonzales but was unable to get a comment by the time of publication.

The staff say they hope the minister notes their concerns and meets with them to improve standards at the organisation.

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod
Posts: 25806
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 1st, 2020, 1:06 pm

some SERIOUS rain for the last 20 minutes in Piarco

User avatar
aaron17
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2166
Joined: June 13th, 2006, 7:54 pm

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby aaron17 » September 1st, 2020, 1:22 pm

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:some SERIOUS rain for the last 20 minutes in Piarco
Dread i seeing it dark on your side.

User avatar
Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin
Posts: 22212
Joined: March 24th, 2003, 10:27 am
Location: T&T
Contact:

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 1st, 2020, 1:36 pm

4df13412-e614-48cd-a2fe-0253b69f2930.jpg


Screenshot 2020-09-01 at 1.35.01 PM.jpg

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8120
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby bluefete » September 1st, 2020, 1:48 pm

GORGEOUS weather!


Trinidad and Tobago Weather Center
7 hrs ·
After a *very* hot and sunny start to Tuesday, isolated showers and thunderstorms are forecast across the Western and Northern halves of Trinidad by the late morning through the afternoon.

Funnel clouds and isolated strong thunderstorms are possible!

1:15 PM Update: The Trinidad and Tobago Meteorological Service has issued an Adverse Weather Alert Yellow Level on Tuesday afternoon at 1:03 PM, which went into effect at 12:40 PM Tuesday 1st September 2020 and will remain in effect through 6:00 PM Tuesday 1st September 2020.

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 14284
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby pugboy » September 1st, 2020, 1:54 pm

stiff rain st augustine

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11560
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby Dizzy28 » September 1st, 2020, 2:08 pm

Port of Spain bone dry!!

User avatar
VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 13610
Joined: May 1st, 2003, 10:23 am
Location: ���

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby VexXx Dogg » September 1st, 2020, 2:19 pm

central overcast but I hearing about flash flooding in the EW corridor.
north looks bleak from here

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod
Posts: 25806
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 1st, 2020, 2:30 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:central overcast but I hearing about flash flooding in the EW corridor.
north looks bleak from here


EMR: Arouca, maloney etc

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod
Posts: 25806
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 1st, 2020, 5:04 pm

Nana and omar out deh

User avatar
brickman
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2158
Joined: February 2nd, 2010, 10:08 am
Location: In a happy place

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby brickman » September 2nd, 2020, 1:37 pm

Overcast with crazy thunder in pos, shocked there isn't any rain or lightning.No electricity in belmont for over an hour,hearing other places went out about the same time so suspect it's linked.

User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 14599
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby sMASH » September 2nd, 2020, 2:16 pm

South boiling.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8120
Joined: November 12th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Location: POS

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby bluefete » September 3rd, 2020, 11:45 am

Some serious weather is on the way. Rain was pouring in Couva about 1 hour ago.

Weather seems to be moving northwards.



Trinidad and Tobago Weather Center
8 hrs ·
A weak tropical wave and the ITCZ are forecast to bring intervals of heavy rainfall, frequent lightning, and gusty winds to Trinidad on Thursday.
Last edited by bluefete on September 3rd, 2020, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11560
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby Dizzy28 » September 3rd, 2020, 11:47 am

Thunder now starting to rumble in Tunapuna.

User avatar
ST Auto
3NE 2NR Power Seller
Posts: 831
Joined: June 30th, 2010, 10:09 am

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby ST Auto » September 3rd, 2020, 11:59 am

Heavy rainfall for an hour so far in point lisas

User avatar
maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 7498
Joined: March 16th, 2012, 10:47 am
Location: ᑐᑌᑎᕮ

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby maj. tom » September 3rd, 2020, 12:01 pm

Rel lighting in Central.
Heavy rain. Flash flooding for sure in many places. Under Chaguanas flyover must be a swamp already.

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 14284
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby pugboy » September 3rd, 2020, 12:12 pm

caroni river still running brown and highish water all week too
still running off what fell last weekend

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod
Posts: 25806
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 3rd, 2020, 12:46 pm

Moderate showers up my side for about 15 mins now. Place pitch black though

User avatar
Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin
Posts: 22212
Joined: March 24th, 2003, 10:27 am
Location: T&T
Contact:

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 3rd, 2020, 1:01 pm

Over an hour now of heavy showers in Chaguanas

GOES16402020247R5MPkf.jpg

User avatar
The_Honourable
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa
Posts: 5829
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 3:45 pm
Location: SaaaannnnnDO!

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby The_Honourable » September 3rd, 2020, 1:18 pm

Moderate rainfall in San Fernando

User avatar
Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 11560
Joined: February 8th, 2010, 8:54 am
Location: People's Republic of Bananas

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby Dizzy28 » September 3rd, 2020, 1:22 pm

Rainfall has been pretty light in Tunapuna...1 hr duration and going but light (can't even say it reached moderate) intensity

User avatar
Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin
Posts: 22212
Joined: March 24th, 2003, 10:27 am
Location: T&T
Contact:

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » September 3rd, 2020, 1:31 pm

Flooding Dass trace , Crown trace , Montrose
rains still falling heavily water rising on Rodney Road and in the housing scheme in Egypt extension

Egypt Trace right now
6ac046c4-9345-4082-b6c6-dc82bac84aef.jpg

pugboy
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 14284
Joined: September 6th, 2003, 6:18 pm

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby pugboy » September 3rd, 2020, 2:23 pm

high tide 5pm
brace for more flooding

redmanjp
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 8662
Joined: September 22nd, 2009, 11:01 pm
Contact:

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby redmanjp » September 4th, 2020, 12:19 am

eet cold!

User avatar
brickman
Shifting into 6th
Posts: 2158
Joined: February 2nd, 2010, 10:08 am
Location: In a happy place

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby brickman » September 4th, 2020, 1:30 am

Perfect wrap up under the covers and sleep like you are dead weather.

User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 14599
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby sMASH » September 4th, 2020, 5:30 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:Flooding Dass trace , Crown trace , Montrose
rains still falling heavily water rising on Rodney Road and in the housing scheme in Egypt extension

Egypt Trace right now
6ac046c4-9345-4082-b6c6-dc82bac84aef.jpg

i grow up knowing about caroni from school, and the text books had referred to it as the 'Caroni Flood Plains'. good for planting rice and cane and catching crab.

screwbash
Riding on 17's
Posts: 1569
Joined: April 19th, 2011, 10:03 pm

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby screwbash » September 5th, 2020, 5:04 am

screwbash wrote:it so dam hotttt. i feel we go get a earthquake soon.

7 days after ...earthquake.

User avatar
shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod
Posts: 25806
Joined: July 20th, 2009, 1:25 pm
Location: all over

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 5th, 2020, 5:44 am

screwbash wrote:
screwbash wrote:it so dam hotttt. i feel we go get a earthquake soon.

7 days after ...earthquake.


Hot sun has NOTHING to do with earthquakes!

User avatar
sMASH
TriniTuner 24-7
Posts: 14599
Joined: January 11th, 2005, 4:30 am

Re: The official tropical weather thread 2020

Postby sMASH » September 5th, 2020, 6:11 am

the evidence is mounting.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: vtec-ghost and 116 guests