Forums

Local history Thread

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

MG Man
2NRholic

Local history Thread

Postby MG Man » January 8th, 2006, 8:11 pm

since 3rd-Gear_pull did not know Wallerfield was a WW2 American Air base, it got me thinking about what little sense of history we have in this country......trinidad's unique and colourfil past has given it an amazingly rich and diverse history, most of which is being lost on today's youth, so anyways, this thread will hopefully hope to fix that in a small way, so.............I'll go first:
who knw who Manny Dookie was?

3rd_Gear_Pull
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 3rd_Gear_Pull » January 8th, 2006, 8:12 pm

oh gawd.........................

*runs away*

Cjruckus
Riding on 18's

Postby Cjruckus » January 8th, 2006, 8:14 pm

Uriah Butler and the strike that spawned from a power outage (t&tec again), changed trini labor laws. Thats the last thing I remembered from Social Studies Class.

Dont know Manny Dookie Though

Cjruckus
Riding on 18's

Postby Cjruckus » January 8th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Important Years found on Google:

1498 - Christopher Columbus claims Trinidad for Spain
1592 - Spanish settle in Trinidad and retain possession for two centuries
1797 - Trinidad is captured by British
1814 - Tobago is ceded to the British
1834 - Slavery is abolished in Trinidad
1845 - Indian indentured immigration begins; program lasts until 1917
1888 - Tobago is joined to Trinidad as a single Crown Colony
1956 - Trinidad and Tobago achieves self-government
1962 - Trinidad and Tobago is granted independence
1976 - Trinidad and Tobago is named a republic
1980 – Tobago House of Assembly is established

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 8th, 2006, 8:16 pm

google can work here...... :mrgreen:

Val
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Val » January 8th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Tubal Uriah "Buzz" Butler dread

Man here in the oilfield dem kinda Violent Union Tactics still kinda fresh in them workers memories yes.

sleepoytuner
Street 2NR

Postby sleepoytuner » January 8th, 2006, 8:28 pm

MG Man nice to see you on the thread... Don't know who Mannicoo Dookie was...

I have heard the name but can't recall ... but I like the idea of paying tribute where it's due, imagine years from now people will pay tribute to Guy Smily Khan and Eric Williams.... As two smart men who get away... hehehe

Sleepoy

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 8th, 2006, 8:38 pm

look who boi!!!!!!!!!!! I say like yu dead :mrgreen:

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 8th, 2006, 8:39 pm

Cjruckus wrote:Important Years found on Google:

1498 - Christopher Columbus claims Trinidad for Spain
1592 - Spanish settle in Trinidad and retain possession for two centuries
1797 - Trinidad is captured by British
1814 - Tobago is ceded to the British
1834 - Slavery is abolished in Trinidad
1845 - Indian indentured immigration begins; program lasts until 1917
1888 - Tobago is joined to Trinidad as a single Crown Colony
1956 - Trinidad and Tobago achieves self-government
1962 - Trinidad and Tobago is granted independence
1976 - Trinidad and Tobago is named a republic
1980 – Tobago House of Assembly is established

yeah but those are the easy ones...........who knows the origin of the naming of Watson's Bridge? Or the origin of the 18th century cannon in Rio Claro?!

Razkal
2NRholic

Postby Razkal » January 8th, 2006, 9:26 pm

manny dookie wasnt a runner? the barefoot runner guy? :)

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 8th, 2006, 9:31 pm

yeah, but his story is quite fascinating.........he was the first to represnt the country at an international sporting event, and even tho he did not earn a medal, he was welcomed as a hero.......its a truly inspiring story

Razkal
2NRholic

Postby Razkal » January 8th, 2006, 9:35 pm

^heard the story in standard five :) really good if i remembered right...
but i got the answer easily cause i have u on msn remember? :lol:

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 8th, 2006, 9:37 pm

lol yeah, I forgot

Razkal
2NRholic

Postby Razkal » January 8th, 2006, 9:42 pm

^not gettin the story on google boy MG :| i cant remember, was it ain a republic reader book? like the standard five one? i kinda wanna read it again now :)

Rallyfignis
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rallyfignis » January 9th, 2006, 7:52 am

Well MG run some more facts fuh we nah, I enjoying this

The only history I really know about is with the US, and that has pretty much been captured in the other thread :(

Smokey
Street 2NR

Postby Smokey » January 9th, 2006, 7:57 am

wallerfield was a world war two base?????? yuh lie?? :roll: :wink:

Rallyfignis
Shifting into 6th

Postby Rallyfignis » January 9th, 2006, 7:58 am

^^^No, it was a WWII bass

crazychinee
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby crazychinee » January 9th, 2006, 8:48 am

Yea it used to have Jet plane and thing flying in...up even until the 90's.
A time all the current in the area just dead, for like less than a minute and then BAM u just see this sheit fly towards that direction..and den the current come back :o

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 9th, 2006, 8:53 am

I know its a lot, but worth the read.....

Mannie Dookie 1915-1968

MANNIE, THE MARVELOUS MILK BOY

People of the Century

By Michael Anthony

Part 1

Express

April 26, 2000

Pages 48 & 49

One of the unforgettable heroes of Trinidad athletics of our 20th century was the marvelous milk boy, Mannie Dookie.

In these days when Trinidad and Tobago's participation in international athletics is so common that no one wonders when it all began, it is good to repeat the story of Mannie Dookie - the boy who blazed the trail for other men to follow.

The story of Magnificent Mannie goes back to 1930, on the occasion when he left his milk-pail at home and took on renowned runners in a road race.

Mannie Dookie, who was born in St James and lived there, was only 15 at the time.

That race, coincidentally, was 15-1/2 miles around the Saddle Road - and the experienced runners who faced the starter must have been amused to see the frail, insignificant boy beside them.

But they later had the humiliating experience of seeing Mannie Dookie show them the way home. He completed the distance in one hour and 39 minutes, a fine mark at that juncture.

One of the peculiar things about Mannie Dookie, was that however rough the course, he never liked running in shoes. So competing barefoot in that 15-1/2 mile race around the Saddle Road, he became known as the barefoot runner.

But running without shoes was only a little distraction to Mannie Dookie's greatness. The amazing milk boy went to the Queen's Park Oval the next year, 1931, and at those grand Empire Day games, which came to be called "Championships," he lined up for the three-mile event.

To most people Mannie was going too far. While, it was amazing to see the frail youngster coming home in front of big, burly men in a 15-1/2 mile road race, how could he dare to go to the starting line, at "Championships" with Trinidad's renowned three-milers?

How could he survive at all in that company - especially with the champion Francis Dinzey?

On that day, May 24, 1931, the barefoot milk boy did not only survive, but running a sensational race, and spurred on by the thunderous applause of the crowd, he defeated Dinzey and the rest of the field to win in a time of 17 minutes 35 seconds.

In 1932 Dookie again held the attention of the sporting public when he beat all comers in a road race from St James Bridge to Teteron Bay. But it was in 1933 that he accomplished one of the greatest victories of his career.

Now known as a three-miler and a runner of road races, Dookie turned up at the Queen's Park Oval for 'Championships," and went straight to the one-mile starting point.

There, at the line-up, were the one-mile stars, two policemen: Alwyn Forde and Hypolite Sosa. At the sound of the pistol Dookie lunged ahead of the field, and yes, he was never to be caught.

Running the race of his life, he put distance between himself and both Sosa and Forde, winning the race in four minutes, 43 seconds.

And that very day, just to prove that he was still king of the three-mile event, he took part in that too, and crushed, not only Sosa and Forde, but also Francis Dinzey.

Part of his glory was that he could not have beaten them at a better point of time.

What was it that was so important and special about 1933? Well, it was the eve of the British Empire Games at White City in London, and all the athletes were trying to be at their best, hoping against hope that the Trinidad Amateur Athletic Association would send them to compete. Such a thing had never happened before.

Dookie maintained the spotlight in 1933, when, at the West Indies Olympiad held later that year in Georgetown, British Guiana, he again won the three-mile, this time setting a new West Indian record of 15 minutes 8.4 seconds.

He also won the mile, thus achieving a brilliant middle-distance double.

Dookie was now a sensation, not only in Trinidad, but also throughout the West Indies. And so at this time there rose the agonizing cry: "Who will send Mannie Dookie to the British Empire Games? Who will give Trinidad a chance to clash with the best of the British Empire's long distance men?"

While the plaintive cry in favour of Mannie Dookie rose all round, Mannie, between delivering milk, was minding his own business by training hard.

The year 1934 had already dawned, and when "Championships" came that May, the milk boy, now one-mile and three-mile champion, again defeated the cream of the island's three-milers, lowering the Trinidad three-mile record to 15 minutes 19 seconds, not far outside the standard of international games.

So the cry became even more strident: "Who will send Mannie Dookie to the British Empire Games?"

The games were to be held that August, and time was beginning to get short.

The Trinidad athletic authorities could not come up with an answer, maybe because of financial reasons. Could anything be done?

DOOKIE BLAZES A TRAIL FOR T&T

People of the Century
By Michael Anthony
Express
Section 2

May 3, 2000

Pages 22 & 23

This is Part II of the story “Mannie the marvelous milk boyâ€

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » January 9th, 2006, 9:16 am

mannie dookie was trhe bare foot runner...

that was his claim to fame

he was called the bare foot wizard...

as for wallers...

did you all know that trinidad had the 2nd most active airport in the world...

InDeForest
Riding on 18's

Postby InDeForest » January 9th, 2006, 1:07 pm

I was told:
during the latter part WW2, most cargo/supply/bomber planes between north america and europe could not make the transatlantic flight with the fuel and heavy loads etc, so a route of a series of shorter flights was arranged, from north america planes would land at wallerfield, swap cargo refuel and return, or refuel and fly east to africa (dunno where), then do the same and head north toward europe.
Since the german Uboats were doing such a great job sinking allied shipping across the atlantic, as much as possible sea cargo was changed to air cargo. The number of planes and volume of cargo flowing through wallerfield was massive.

Greypatch
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby Greypatch » January 9th, 2006, 1:09 pm

yea boi true dat

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 9th, 2006, 1:27 pm

yep, we were also a prime target for invasion / attack had the war continued past 1945 :shock:

neckto
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby neckto » January 9th, 2006, 4:51 pm

i only hopw it don't need a next world war for we to get a track

trini_ravi
3NE 2NR for life

Postby trini_ravi » January 9th, 2006, 9:07 pm

it was stated that during the war Hitler wanted to capture T'dad as oil was discovered in south and it was one of the biggest finds at the time.

just like George W.

3rd_Gear_Pull
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 3rd_Gear_Pull » January 9th, 2006, 9:14 pm

trini_ravi wrote:it was stated that during the war Hitler wanted to capture T'dad as oil was discovered in south and it was one of the biggest finds at the time.

just like George W.

he go find us guilty for harborin terrorists an take ova d whole island in ah week...you jus watch

~Vēġó~
3NE 2NR Moderator

Postby ~Vēġó~ » January 10th, 2006, 9:23 am

Can folklore be considered in this thread too???

tr1ad
2NR phototakerouter

Postby tr1ad » January 23rd, 2008, 12:13 pm

bump for history buffs

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » January 23rd, 2008, 12:40 pm

ok, here's one, and one of my pet peeves:
Princes Town, NOT princeSS town as many people think:

Princes Town
Originally founded as the Amerindian Mission of Savana Grande, the town was renamed after the 1880 visit by Queen Victoria's grandsons, Prince Albert and Prince George (later King George V). The Princes each planted a poui tree at the Anglican church in the area, which still survives to this day.

The princes were doing their tour, which included a stop to Devil's Woodyard.....for the Lighthouse crew, Devil's Woodyard is a field of mud volcanoes a few miles east of Princes Town, in the village of Hindustan....on their way back, they planted the Poui Trees, which still stand today!

White CZ4A
30 pounds of Boost

Postby White CZ4A » January 23rd, 2008, 12:43 pm

MG Man wrote:ok, here's one, and one of my pet peeves:
Princes Town, NOT princeSS town as many people think:

Princes Town
Originally founded as the Amerindian Mission of Savana Grande, the town was renamed after the 1880 visit by Queen Victoria's grandsons, Prince Albert and Prince George (later King George V). The Princes each planted a poui tree at the Anglican church in the area, which still survives to this day.

The princes were doing their tour, which included a stop to Devil's Woodyard.....for the Lighthouse crew, Devil's Woodyard is a field of mud volcanoes a few miles east of Princes Town, in the village of Hindustan....on their way back, they planted the Poui Trees, which still stand today!

true talk?!

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”