TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

End of ICE (Internal Combustion Engines)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

sMASH
TunerGod

Re: End of ICE (Internal Combustion Engines)

Postby sMASH » February 6th, 2021, 9:47 pm

88sins wrote:Anyone locally ever tried to convert a car from the typical gasoline engine to electric motor?

I halfway done with one project, looking for the next one.
If I can find a suitable electric motor (I already have something very specific in mind) and of course a sufficient means of powering it I don't mind giving it a shot.

last year i real watched vids and builds... and any thing that making sense kinda expensive. a good option is to get parts from a scrap vehicle and bring it down. it have companies selling motor kits with the high current relay and u could get batter packs, but they running like 10k us and ting. if i had to pick, i would chose the kits, cause ease of sourcing parts that new, working, compatible... cept fro the batteries that might be salvaged but shoudl not be a problem.
i not putting that out that on just a project.

what i want to try later this year, is to get the chinese bicycle e bike kits. not for a bike, but to make an awd e atv.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 7th, 2021, 6:47 am

Yeah, I kno it could get expensive. I can get my hands on a forklift motor and some other stuff.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 7th, 2021, 7:18 am

Then u just need the batteries, the charging system, 5he high amperage e throttle unit, adapter plate and shaft coupler. A good bit of ur weight to ship is already eliminated.

If u can get the throttle from the same forklifts. U just have to source the batteries. As the next big weight item

Easiest and cheapest is outright tesla packs.

Unless u would rather use a few lead acid locally.

In either case u would have to source a relevant battery charger.
Lead acid have the simplicity of breaking all components back to 12v to charge.

88sins wrote:Yeah, I kno it could get expensive. I can get my hands on a forklift motor and some other stuff.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 8th, 2021, 9:20 am

yeah I know is a lot of parts, cables, wiring, fuses, etc. & I will have to figure out a few details regarding the power steering & braking
I only looking to do it as a project to see if I can, is not like I trying to build a daily driver, so I could take my time.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

End of ICE (Internal Combustion Engines)

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » February 11th, 2021, 2:10 pm

I’m all for electric vehicles and I love WRC rally but this just doesn’t sound right

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLJ8K5KCoo ... rhjjuxbgbd

[

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 21st, 2021, 7:13 am

Audi Unveils Its New, Tesla-Fighting Electric Sports Car—And It’s a Stunner

Audi just unveiled its latest production vehicle, and it’s a stunner. The Audi e-tron GT is a battery-powered, all-electric sports car, with—in top-performing $140,000 RS guise—motors on the front and rear axles capable of producing 637 horsepower. This provides the sporty four-door with the ability to accelerate from zero to 60 m.p.h. in about three seconds. If you’re not quite so aggressive with the go pedal, it should also be able to eke out well over 200 miles of range on a charge.

Expansion of its electric vehicle (EV) lineup—which currently consists of the pedestrian-looking e-tron SUV—is a top priority for Audi, which for years has staked out a position as a forward-thinking luxury brand, quick to embrace new forms and tech. “Fifty years ago, Audi was nothing compared to our main competitors Mercedes and BMW,” says Marc Lichte, the brand’s global design director. “And the reason why Audi became successful was that Audi made some really bold and progressive decisions.” For Lichte, these include universal implementation of the marque’s Quattro four-wheel-drive system, its use of lightweight aluminum in the underpinnings of its cars, and its abidance of advanced aerodynamics, as in the radical Audi 5000 of the 1980s.

https://www.architecturaldigest.com/sto ... sports-car

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » February 21st, 2021, 12:40 pm

All hell would break loose once toyota enters the race with the solid state battery.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm

aaron17 wrote:All hell would break loose once toyota enters the race with the solid state battery.
Toyota is far from the only major OEM that is involved in SS battery development.

The Eternal Promise of Solid-State Batteries

They’re lighter, with greater energy density, more range, lower cost, and faster recharge times. But solid-state battery packs for cars are far from ready.

Automakers would love to have viable solid-state batteries, and while some are reportedly further along than others, battery packs for cars are far from ready.

Volkswagen, Toyota, General Motors, Hyundai, and Ford all have significant investments in solid-state battery technology companies.

Solid-state batteries may find their way into cars by the latter part of the 2020s, but it may initially be as a showcase for the technology—and at a significantly higher price than lithium-ion.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-car ... batteries/

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 24th, 2021, 12:46 pm

BorgWarner launches 800-volt electric motor for commercial vehicles

Posted February 18, 2021 by Tom Lombardo & filed under Newswire, The Tech.

BorgWarner’s latest High Voltage Hairpin (HVH) electric motor, the HVH 320, is designed to power a variety of commercial EVs. Production of the HVH 320, which is equipped with 800-volt capabilities and is available in four variants, is expected to kick off in 2024. Its multifaceted platform will deliver over 400 kW of power at 97% peak efficiency, and will support BorgWarner’s OEM customers’ demand for a common electric drivetrain.

BorgWarner President Stefan Demmerle said, “Using our 800-volt rated machine, customers can significantly reduce charging time and achieve a higher power density, enabling an even brighter future for electric trucks.”

The company designed four variants of its modular HVH 320 motor platform to meet customer requirements. The motor produces up to 1,270 Nm of torque and supports a vehicle’s shifting sequence and regenerative braking.

The HVH 320 motor is the newest addition to BorgWarner’s portfolio of HVH series motors, which are offered for both light-duty passenger cars and heavy-duty commercial vehicles. These motors feature patented stator winding technology, and are available as fully-housed motors or as rotor/stator assemblies. The motors can be used in a variety of architectural positions throughout a vehicle.

BorgWarner also offers inverters that can achieve the same 800-volt level.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/borgwar ... -vehicles/

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 24th, 2021, 1:02 pm

[in b4 mg man] wah de bugwanahhh!!!

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 27th, 2021, 8:25 pm

Fisker Inc. has "completely dropped" solid-state batteries

Henrik Fisker has abandoned his electric vehicle startup’s effort to create a solid-state battery, the Fisker Inc. founder told The Verge in a recent interview.

[img]https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/4pdMltkSOWwEHBxVc_9Xjk3Sw4I=/0x0:2500x1667/1220x813/filters:focal(1050x634:1450x1034):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/68881440/fisker_ocean_0134.0.jpg[/img]

“It’s the kind of technology where, when you feel like you’re 90 percent there, you’re almost there, until you realize the last 10 percent is much more difficult than the first 90,” he said. “So we have completely dropped solid-state batteries at this point in time because we just don’t see it materializing.”

Fisker spoke with The Verge in late January, though a lot has happened since then — most notably, the startup announced a partnership with iPhone-maker Foxconn. The two companies plan to make an electric vehicle that Fisker says will cost much less than the $37,500 base price tag of its first EV, the Ocean SUV. Fisker told The Wall Street Journal that the vehicle may even be built at Foxconn’s troublesome Wisconsin facility.

Fisker’s decision to axe the solid-state program comes after his startup spent its first few years working to develop the technology. In 2018, he said the company had solved some of the problems related to making solid-state batteries, and that it was just a few months away from a final design. By early 2019, though, the startup postponed a planned sports car that was based on the solid-state technology and pivoted to the Ocean, which uses a more common lithium-ion battery.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/2/26/2227 ... n-suv-spac

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » February 28th, 2021, 7:21 pm

Will synthetic fuel save the performance car? The manufacturers weigh in

Porsche claims a car running on eFuel will have the same CO2 footprint as an EV, and BMW, Audi, Aston Martin and McLaren all agree

Porsche’s Vice President Motorsport and GT cars, Dr Frank Walliser, believes internal combustion engines using synthetic fuel, or eFuel, will make internal combustion cars as clean as an electric alternative. Speaking at the launch of the new 911 GT3, Dr Walliser explained that Porsche’s development of synthetic fuels is on course to start trials in 2022 and that this fuel could be used in all of Porsche’s current internal combustion engines without any requirements to modify them, including the all-new 992-generation GT3. 

“Synthetic fuels are very important to allow us to reduce our CO2 output. Emissions are way better than current pump fuel, with less particulates and less NOx produced; synthetic fuels have between eight to ten components whereas petrol today has 30-40 and not all of them are welcome,” Walliser explained.

“Synthetic fuel is cleaner and there is no bi-product and when we start full production we expect a CO2 reduction of 85 percent. From a ‘well to wheel’ perspective - and you have to consider the well to wheel impact of all vehicles - this will be the same level of CO2 produced in the manufacture and use of an electric vehicle.”

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/203323/wi ... s-weigh-in

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » February 28th, 2021, 7:26 pm

Hope they not lieing.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 3rd, 2021, 7:52 am

FutureBridge Predicts Solid-State Battery Cost Will Match Lithium-Ion By 2025

That’s just four years away and if it proves to be an accurate prediction, it could change EVs for the better.

Even though there are EVs that offer enough range relying on current lithium-ion batteries, and the main hurdle preventing mass adoption is spotty charging infrastructure, we’re still eagerly awaiting the arrival of solid-state batteries (SSBs). The technology is already here and viable, but what’s keeping SSBs from going mainstream is their cost.

Well, according to FutureBridge (a Dutch market analysis company that specializes in tracking and advising enterprises on the future of industries, according to its official website), SSBs will reach cost-parity with lithium-ion batteries by 2025. That doesn’t mean that exactly in 2025 we will see the first commercial application of solid-state battery tech, but it will certainly be an important milestone for electric vehicles - they will not only allow for even faster charging, but also an increased battery lifespan, as well as superior safety in the event of an accident.

The prediction is that by 2030 we will start to see mass commercialization of vehicles equipped with SSBs, although it could probably happen sooner than that. Toyota (in partnership with Panasonic), for instance, has announced its intention to be the first automaker to sell an electric vehicle equipped with an SSB, promising a one charge range of 500 km and recharge time from flat to full of just 10 minutes - it has also stated that it will have a running prototype in 2021, but it did not give a clear time frame as to when it could be commercially available.

https://insideevs.com/news/491713/solid ... e-in-2030/

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 6th, 2021, 6:20 pm

Nissan's New Engine Is As Thermally Efficient As An F1 Powertrain

The Japanese manufacturer is working on a new engine which has reached 50 per cent thermal efficiency in testing

Petrol engines are actually pretty wasteful. The majority of the energy generated from the combustion cycle goes to waste through heat and sound in even the most efficient power plants, but there are improvements to be made on this front in ICE’s twilight years.

Nissan is cooking up a new engine that has already achieved 50 per cent thermal efficiency in testing. For a lot of people reading this, some context is required, which we can give via the 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 used by the Mercedes-AMG F1 team. It’s the most thermally efficient internal combustion engine produced thus far, and it also manages 50 per cent thermal efficiency.

One of the most thermally efficient production powerplants out there meanwhile is Toyota‘s ‘Dynamic Force’ engine, which manages 41 per cent. We should imagine Mazda’s spark-controlled compression ignition SkyActiv-X unit at least manages a similar figure, potentially a better one (the company hasn’t ever given a number).

50 per cent, then, is an incredible achievement. The number isn’t entirely comparable, however, and as for why, the clue’s in the branding - ‘e-Power’. The engine won’t directly power the wheels - as with the current Nissan system going under the name, the ICE bit is a generator that feeds an electric motor. This allows it to stay at the optimum engine speeds for the best trade-off between power and efficiency.

Like the SkyActiv-X engine (above), Nissan’s new powerplant uses a high compression ratio to combust a lean fuel/air mixture. On that subject, Mazda said a few years ago that it was working on something called ‘SkyActiv-3’, which could reach a staggering 56 per cent efficiency, rivalling the emissions of some fully electric cars depending on the charge source.

We don’t know when either SkyActiv-3 or this new version of Nissan’s e-Power will reach production. Regardless, it’s interesting to see that the humble petrol engine still has a few tricks up its sleeve while manufacturers turn their attention to batteries and motors.

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/nissan ... owertrain/

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » March 7th, 2021, 1:01 pm

saw this on bloomberg, did not get to copy paste

https://www.livemint.com/industry/energ ... 79602.html
livemint wrote:How Saudi Arabia plans to make the kingdom a global hub for green hydrogen
Updated: 07 Mar 2021

Saudi Arabia is building a $5 billion plant powered entirely by sun and wind that will be among the world’s biggest green hydrogen makers when it opens in the planned megacity of Neom in 2025

Sun-scorched expanses and steady Red Sea breezes make the northwest tip of Saudi Arabia prime real estate for what the kingdom hopes will become a global hub for green hydrogen.

As governments and industries seek less-polluting alternatives to hydrocarbons, the world’s biggest crude exporter doesn’t want to cede the burgeoning hydrogen business to China, Europe or Australia and lose a potentially massive source of income. So it’s building a $5 billion plant powered entirely by sun and wind that will be among the world’s biggest green hydrogen makers when it opens in the planned megacity of Neom in 2025.

The task of turning a patch of desert the size of Belgium into a metropolis powered by renewable energy falls to Peter Terium, the former chief executive officer of RWE AG, Germany’s biggest utility, and clean-energy spinoff Innogy SE. His performance will help determine whether a country dependent on petrodollars can transition into a supplier of non-polluting fuels.

“There’s nothing I’ve ever seen or heard of this dimension or challenge," Terium said. “I’ve been spending the last two years wrapping my mind around ‘from scratch,’ and now we’re very much in execution mode."

Hydrogen is morphing from a niche power source — used in zeppelins, rockets and nuclear weapons — into big business, with the European Union alone committing $500 billion to scale up its infrastructure. Huge obstacles remain to the gas becoming a major part of the energy transition, and skeptics point to Saudi Arabia’s weak track record so far capitalizing on what should be a competitive edge in the renewables business, especially solar, where there are many plans but few operational projects.

But countries are jostling for position in a future global market, and hydrogen experts list the kingdom as one to watch.

The U.K. is hosting 10 projects to heat buildings with the gas, China is deploying fuel-cell buses and commercial vehicles, and Japan is planning to use the gas in steelmaking. U.S. presidential climate envoy John Kerry urged the domestic oil and gas industry to embrace hydrogen’s “huge opportunities."

That should mean plenty of potential customers for the plant called Helios Green Fuels. Saudi Arabia is setting its sights on becoming the world’s largest supplier of hydrogen — a market that BloombergNEF estimates could be worth as much as $700 billion by 2050.

“You’re seeing a more diversified portfolio of energy exports that is more resilient," said Shihab Elborai, a Dubai-based partner at consultant Strategy&. “It’s diversified against any uncertainties in the rate and timing of the energy transition."

Blueprints are being drawn and strategies are being announced, but it’s still early days for the industry. Hydrogen is expensive to make without expelling greenhouse gases, difficult to store and highly combustible.

Green hydrogen is produced by using renewable energy rather than fossil fuels. The current cost of producing a kilogram is a little under $5, according to the International Renewable Energy Agency.

Saudi Arabia possesses a competitive advantage in its perpetual sunshine and wind, and vast tracts of unused land. Helios’s costs likely will be among the lowest globally and could reach $1.50 per kilogram by 2030, according to BNEF. That’s cheaper than some hydrogen made from non-renewable sources today.

It’s more expensive to produce renewable energy in Europe, and the continent’s anticipated demand while implementing a Green Deal should exceed its own supply, Terium said. That $1 trillion-plus stimulus package will try to make the continent carbon-neutral.

“By no means will they be able to produce all the hydrogen themselves," he said. “There’s just not enough North Sea or usable water for offshore wind."

Terium, who is Dutch, joined Neom in 2018 to design its energy, water and food networks. His enthusiasm for technologies such as electric vehicles and digital networks wasn’t matched by Innogy’s investors, but it is by the backers of Neom.

The most important of those is Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the 35-year-old de facto ruler, who envisions Neom as a zero-emissions exemplar helping transform society and the economy. The hydrogen plant is part of that vision. But while Neom’s $500 billion price tag prompts questions about whether it will go ahead exactly as planned, the hydrogen effort doesn’t depend on the megacity’s overall success.

There are other challenges, too: The country produces one-eighth of the world’s oil supply, but its operational renewables capacity is small by regional standards, and it’s starting from zero with green hydrogen.

The government is partnering with Acwa Power, a Riyadh, Saudi Arabia-based power developer partly owned by the kingdom’s sovereign wealth fund, and Air Products and Chemicals Inc., a $58 billion company based in Allentown, Pennsylvania, to build the green hydrogen plant.

The trio is splitting the costs of Helios, which will use 4 gigawatts of solar and wind power.

“As the first gigawatt plant, we will have an advantage in developing further innovation," Terium said. “This is not going to be the end of the game."

For starters, Helios will produce 650 tons of hydrogen a day by electrolysis – enough for conversion to 1.2 million tons per year of green ammonia. Air Products will buy all of that ammonia, which is easier to ship than liquid or gaseous hydrogen, and convert it back upon delivery to customers.

Enough green hydrogen will be produced to maintain about 20,000 city buses. There are about 3 million buses operating worldwide, and Air Products wants to be a mainstay in depots switching to hydrogen, said Simon Moore, vice president of investor relations.

“We’re not going to wait until this project comes on-stream in 2025 to think about additional capacity," he said.

Fuel-cell vehicles could capture as much as 30% of bus-fleet volume globally by 2050, with growth coming primarily from China and the European Union, according to BNEF. Moore declined to identify Helios’s clients.

Hydrogen will cost more than polluting alternatives at first, but enough governments and businesses face stringent carbon targets that need the gas to meet them, Moore said. Thirteen nations have hydrogen strategies in place, and another 11 are preparing theirs, according to BNEF.

Germany said it needs “enormous" volumes of green hydrogen, and it hopes Saudi Arabia will be a supplier.

“The interest Saudi Arabia has had from investors leads us to believe that there is a sound economic case for hydrogen, even at current prices," a spokesman for the Energy Ministry said.

At the same time, the government is trying to boost its own scant use of renewable energy. Currently, under 700 megawatts operate nationwide -- less than 2% of Spain’s installed capacity. The nation plans to meet half of its power needs from renewables by 2030 and has several projects under construction or soon to start.

Saudi Arabia also is one of the few countries regularly burning crude to make electricity. The highly polluting practice reached a four-year peak in August, and critics say the energy used by the Neom plant should be diverted into the national grid instead.

Yet the focus remains on exports. Petrostates stand to lose as much as $13 trillion by 2040 because of climate-change targets, and Saudi Arabia is among those expected to be most affected.

The hydrogen plant will produce 15,000 barrels of oil equivalent per day at most, hardly a match for the 9 million barrels of crude the kingdom pumps daily. Even so, finding a way to corner part of the clean-fuels market represents a necessary economic lifeline.

“It’s sponsored at the highest possible level, so if any project happens, it’s got to be this," Elborai said.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 16th, 2021, 6:30 pm

Audi Will Stop Developing Internal Combustion Engines

The automaker will slowly phase out existing combustion engines and replace them with all-electric drivetrains.

BY BOB SOROKANICH

MAR 16, 2021

Audi has an impressive slate of internal combustion engines on offer at the moment, including the 591-hp twin-turbo 4.0-liter V-8 you see above, powering the jaw-dropping RS 6 Avant super-wagon. And let's not forget the sonorous naturally aspirated V-10 in the mid-engine R8. But according to the CEO of the company, the automaker will not develop any new internal combustion engines, and will begin phasing out the current gasoline and diesel engines and replacing them with electric powertrains.

In an interview with German-language industry news outlet Automobilwoche, Audi CEO Marcus Duesmann confirmed the decision. "We will no longer develop a new internal combustion engine, but will adapt our existing internal combustion engines to new emission guidelines," Duesmann told the publication (as translated by Google).

Duesmann cited (and slighted) the increasing challenges of emissions regulations in the decision. "The EU plans for an even stricter Euro 7 emissions standard are a huge technical challenge and at the same time have little benefit for the environment," he said in the interview. "That extremely restricts the combustion engine."

As part of Volkswagen Group's large-scale pivot to electrification—partly undertaken as a result of the auto giant's diesel emissions cheating settlement—Audi aims to offer 20 EV models in the next 5 years. The E-Tron crossover and E-Tron GT sport sedan have already begun that push; an electric version of the Q4 small SUV will follow later this year. Previously, Duesmann confirmed that the A4 and A6 will become fully electric by 2030; generations that come out between now and that date will use adapted versions of current Audi engines.

As Motor1 reports, we can expect a few last-hurrah combustion models before Audi completes its pivot to electrification, including an ultra-luxury A8 "Horch" executive sedan using the automaker's legendary W-12 engine.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3585 ... n-engines/

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » March 21st, 2021, 8:29 am

Liquid Piston to become beating heart of Air Force flying orb | ZDNet

By Greg Nichols for Robotics | March 15, 2021 -- 11:00 GMT (04:00 PDT) | Topic: Mobility

There's been a lot of development activity around flying vehicles recently, but the Air Force wants a shortcut to an unmanned electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) concept for urban transport. The secret sauce? Pairing emerging electric vehicle technology with an innovative rotary internal combustion engine to keep batteries charged and extend flight times. 

Urban Air Mobility (UAM) is a major focus of technology development among transportation firms, with ambitious projects to put test vehicles in the sky over major urban centers in the U.S. and Europe within the next few years. UAM combines state of the art propulsion and battery technologies with advances in robotics, machine vision, and AI. The result could be a fundamental rethinking of how we navigate in and around cities.

The problem is that electric vehicle technology, while offering advantages like noise reduction, have severe power density limitations compared to combustion engines. It's a classic development conundrum for aeronautical engineers, one that involves weighing imperfect tradeoffs: Gasoline engines are inefficient, diesel engines are big and heavy, and electric power/batteries weigh a lot compared to the energy they produce. These features present significant limitations to range, payload, and efficiency. Nowhere are those limitations more apparent than in UAV, which require close attention be paid to the weight/power tradeoff.

But what about a hybrid approach? 

That's the strategy the Air Force seems to be landing on with a Phase I Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) contract awarded to LiquidPiston, Inc., a developer of an advanced rotary internal combustion engine called the X-Engine. Paired with a generator, the X-Engine can be configured to charge the eVTOL vehicle's battery and keep it charged during flight, significantly extending the range of an electric propulsion system. Alternatively, it can be configured in parallel with an electric drive, using the engine directly to produce thrust or lift.

The new contract is in support of the Air Force's Agility Prime program, which seeks to leverage commercial electric vertical takeoff and landing (eVTOL) and other transformative vertical flight vehicles for government missions in a way that accelerates the emerging commercial market.

"Our work with the Air Force demonstrates the versatility and utility of our X-Engine across the Department of Defense including our ongoing work with the US Army," said Alec Shkolnik, CEO and co-founder of LiquidPiston, referencing an Army contract we covered last year. "Today's solutions for power and energy are held back by a lack of technological innovation ... The X-Engine solves these challenges, and with this contract, we look forward to showcasing the value a hybrid-electric configuration can bring to unmanned flight."

A rotary engine is the ideal platform for just such a hybrid approach. The X-Engine is 10x smaller and lighter than traditional diesel engines and increases efficiency by 30%. It has only two primary moving parts, a shaft and rotor, which limits size and vibration. 

We've covered LiquidPiston before, and it's easy to get lost in the weeds on the technology. For instance, the company emphasizes that its rotary engines are not Wankel engines, which until now has been the only commercialized rotary engine design. Wankel engines employ a roughly triangular rotor that is spun during a combustion cycle and forms a seal with the outer case at each of the three points of the triangular rotor. As the rotor spins, those seals are subjected to forces that cause them to wear. LiquidPiston's engine, on the other hand, uses an oval rotor that moves within a triangular housing. The required seals are mounted on the stationary housing and are lubricated directly, increasing wear life and durability.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/liquid-pi ... lying-car/

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » March 21st, 2021, 10:00 am

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 9th, 2021, 7:11 pm

toyoda stepping up the fuel cell push.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » August 9th, 2021, 9:17 pm

^^ 20 years ago I was gung ho on hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

Then I realised the infrastructure set up was phenomenally expensive. Toyota partnered with the state of California to build a series of Hydrogen refilling stations.

Meanwhile, its competitors like General Motors started, then veered away from HFCV's because of the costs.

The future looks like battery powered electric rather than all electric hfcv's.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » August 10th, 2021, 9:56 am

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:I’m all for electric vehicles and I love WRC rally but this just doesn’t sound right

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CLJ8K5KCoo ... rhjjuxbgbd

[

Sounds like a remote control toy

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 10th, 2021, 10:53 am

bluefete wrote:^^ 20 years ago I was gung ho on hydrogen fuel cell vehicles.

Then I realised the infrastructure set up was phenomenally expensive. Toyota partnered with the state of California to build a series of Hydrogen refilling stations.

Meanwhile, its competitors like General Motors started, then veered away from HFCV's because of the costs.

The future looks like battery powered electric rather than all electric hfcv's.

right now, the h2 gets trucked in. compard to bev where u just connect to ttec(american equivalent).
cng in trinidad uses nat gas lines, small lines tapped off from the nat gas distribution grid, and large compressors that use ttec. the big problem with the cng stations was that the ttec bill was too high, and the deal was that they would pay it, they didnt understand how often the compressors wold need to run and how much power it would use. they came to some sort of arrangement with cng ngc...

ting is, u can generate h2 on site, u just need compressors, cryo chillers, and the h2 generators.
yes, infrastructure will be expensive to ROLL OUT. but the advantages over having to charge a bev, it should outweigh it,

somebody hadda take the hit and roll out the infrastructure initially. europe, i think volvo has their systems started to kick it off, and that vid showing toyota stepping up.

the thing is, the h2 generation plants would be a lot cheaper to construct compared to fossil fuel processing plants and battery manufacture and extraction operations. it just need to have demand to influence it.

if i could get my hands on a fuel cell, i will use it in a project. to generate the h2 not that difficult,

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 10th, 2021, 11:11 am

Toyota bet wrong on EVs, so now it’s lobbying to slow the transition

Hydrogen dead end

Having spent the last decade ignoring or dismissing EVs, Toyota now finds itself a laggard in an industry that's swiftly preparing for an electric—not just electrified—transition.

Sales of Toyota's fuel-cell vehicles haven't lit the world on fire—the Mirai continues to be a slow seller, even when bundled with thousands of dollars' worth of hydrogen, and it's unclear if its winsome-but-slow redesign will help. Toyota's forays into EVs have been timid. Initial efforts focused on solid-state batteries that, while lighter and safer than existing lithium-ion batteries, have proven challenging to manufacture cost-effectively, much like fuel cells. Last month, the company announced that it would release more traditional EV models in the coming years, but the first one won't be available until the end of 2022.

Confronted with a losing hand, Toyota is doing what most large corporations do when they find themselves playing the wrong game—it's fighting to change the game.

Toyota has been lobbying governments to water-down emissions standards or oppose fossil-fuel vehicle phaseouts, according to a New York Times report. In the last four years, Toyota's political contributions to US politicians and PACs have more than doubled. Those contributions have gotten the company into hot water, too. By donating to congresspeople who oppose tighter emissions limits, the company funded lawmakers who objected to certifying the results of the 2020 presidential election. Though Toyota had promised to stop doing so in January, it was caught making donations to the controversial legislators as recently as last month.

Toyota has also begun to wage a campaign of FUD—fear, uncertainty, and doubt—to cast EVs as unreliable and undesirable. "If we are to make dramatic progress in electrification, it will require overcoming tremendous challenges, including refueling infrastructure, battery availability, consumer acceptance, and affordability," Robert Wimmer, director of energy and environmental research at Toyota Motor North America, told the Senate in March.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/07/to ... ransition/

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » August 10th, 2021, 2:15 pm

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » August 13th, 2021, 10:51 am

We Spotted The Hummer EV, And Its Acceleration Blew Us Away

We've now seen the Hummer EV out testing around Detroit, and it's certainly the real deal.

Living near the Motor City definitely has its perks. We've seen the GMC Hummer EV out testing now on numerous occasions. However, we were never fortunate enough to get a photo or video. Last evening, we were able to snap several pictures, though our chances of getting a video disappeared as the all-electric behemoth rocketed ahead with ease.

https://insideevs.com/news/526305/we-sp ... v-detroit/

[img]https://cdn.motor1.com/images/mgl/2840x/s1/gmc-hummer-ev-on-public-road-near-detroit.webp[/img]

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » November 23rd, 2023, 7:48 pm

Honda this week provided a few more details about its next-generation hydrogen fuel-cell module, at the 2023 European Hydrogen Week in Brussels.
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1141503_honda-shows-hydrogen-fuel-cell-module-set-to-power-cr-v

Co-developed with General Motors, the new module was first shown at the 2023 Tokyo auto show, and it has already been confirmed for use in North America. Honda has already confirmed a Europe-bound energy storage system that combines renewable energy with hydrogen. But this is the first time Honda has discussed other applications for Europe, including passenger cars, commercial vehicles, construction equipment, and stationary power generation.

Fuel cell vehicles, which feature a fuel-cell stack that harnesses a chemical reaction between oxygen and hydrogen, producing electricity plus some water vapor and waste heat, are already typically hybrids, with hybrid-like battery packs to help buffer the stack’s energy production. The plug-in-hybrid fuel-cell combination is one that owners of fuel cell vehicles have requested for years and generations of vehicles.

Improvements over previous fuel-cell systems include compact dimensions, as well as quick startup times—even in low temperatures, Ingo Nyhues, deputy general manager, Europe business planning and development, Honda Motor Europe, said in a statement.

This system will make its debut for North America in a version of the Honda CR-V—set to be Ohio-built starting in 2024.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 23rd, 2023, 10:00 pm

hydrogen fuel is an option, but what killing it is the lack of technology to make it attractive as an alternative.
Most using tanks you will fill at a station. That can get expensive, and inconvenient.
But let's say that there was an efficient way to provide all the hydrogen one might need by way of an on-board process of electrolysis. If that were possible, hydrogen fueled vehicles would become an extremely attractive product.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » November 23rd, 2023, 10:08 pm

88sins wrote:hydrogen fuel is an option, but what killing it is the lack of technology to make it attractive as an alternative.
Most using tanks you will fill at a station. That can get expensive, and inconvenient.
But let's say that there was an efficient way to provide all the hydrogen one might need by way of an on-board process of electrolysis. If that were possible, hydrogen fueled vehicles would become an extremely attractive product.
Not sure about tank sizes since they don't carry it onboard as fuel like CNG. It's actually a chemical reaction in a cell where a by product is electricty for an electric vehicle. How efficient the process is will determine tank sizes.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » November 25th, 2023, 11:12 pm

nervewrecker wrote:
88sins wrote:hydrogen fuel is an option, but what killing it is the lack of technology to make it attractive as an alternative.
Not sure about tank sizes since they don't carry it onboard as fuel like CNG. It's actually a chemical reaction in a cell where a by product is electricty for an electric vehicle. How efficient the process is will determine tank sizes.

Those you mentioned using hydrogen fuel cells are what's being developed today. They aren't very efficient, and are rather expensive.
But I wonder why not just develop an engine to run efficiently on hydrogen gas?

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”