Forums

Petrotrin refinery shut down

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Petrotrin refinery shut down

Postby De Dragon » December 25th, 2020, 4:05 pm

hover11 wrote:Can anyone say for certain when gas stations will be privatized, it is end of December and I have yet to see any advertisements of such in the local newspapers or otherwise, need to know whether gas price is still increasing in the not too distant future
Redman wrote:Fuel for local consumption would be paid for in usd.

I estimate we use 14M TTD per day.
I don't think any right thinking operator would take that risk.

Apparently all the NP ones are earmarked for privatization.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » December 25th, 2020, 4:13 pm

But how, wasn't it supposed to be available to the general public, where is the transparency here huh well ok thanks
De Dragon wrote:
hover11 wrote:Can anyone say for certain when gas stations will be privatized, it is end of December and I have yet to see any advertisements of such in the local newspapers or otherwise, need to know whether gas price is still increasing in the not too distant future

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 25th, 2020, 4:18 pm

hover11 wrote:But how, wasn't it supposed to be available to the general public, where is the transparency here huh well ok thanks
De Dragon wrote:

The NP ones are GORTT owned, and with the rape of the Procurement Act, they will go to LFRFD friends, financiers and families.
Oh sure, they'll make a big pappyshow of offering them up publicly, but without any checks and balances, John Public will have to suck salt.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 25th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Part 2 of the 1970s gas station racket
De Dragon wrote:
hover11 wrote:But how, wasn't it supposed to be available to the general public, where is the transparency here huh well ok thanks
De Dragon wrote:

The NP ones are GORTT owned, and with the rape of the Procurement Act, they will go to LFRFD friends, financiers and families.
Oh sure, they'll make a big pappyshow of offering them up publicly, but without any checks and balances, John Public will have to suck salt.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » December 25th, 2020, 4:32 pm

So how much allya think gas going up by cuz I mean an increase is expected , when diesel prices increases doesnt that mean everything else will increase as well
De Dragon wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 25th, 2020, 5:08 pm

It will go up according to world prices

We will longer get any benefits as citizens. It's all gone. Our resources have been raped and plundered by the res government
hover11 wrote:So how much allya think gas going up by cuz I mean an increase is expected , when diesel prices increases doesnt that mean everything else will increase as well
De Dragon wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » December 25th, 2020, 6:42 pm

De Dragon wrote:

The NP sites that are not already privately owned..are to be sold.

The dealers that are operating the sites...some with supply agreements for 10+ years are to be given first rights.

How they do this is a big question since they have removed the fixed margins on fuel...

It will be a royal mess...and think the fuel business is broken.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 25th, 2020, 7:03 pm

Redman wrote:
De Dragon wrote:

The NP sites that are not already privately owned..are to be sold.

The dealers that are operating the sites...some with supply agreements for 10+ years are to be given first rights.

How they do this is a big question since they have removed the fixed margins on fuel...

It will be a royal mess...and think the fuel business is broken.
That's it, the red government family and friends to own these gas stations.

Back to 1970s gas station racket

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » December 25th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Many of the big sites were contracted pre 2015.

hover11
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby hover11 » December 25th, 2020, 8:52 pm

But then how can this be transparent
Redman wrote:Many of the big sites were contracted pre 2015.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » December 26th, 2020, 7:31 am

It is transparent- you know who the players are- you will know the justification for them getting first option.
You have a series of operators that have contracts that run for extended times-up to 15 years.
What do you recommend to solve the issue of some one having signed a supply agreement, taken financing with the banks-etc...??
Once the valuation process is properly done they should be given rights of first refusal.

That said there is the likelyhood that the property will be worth more than the new business can finance.

Who will step in on the second option..??
Thats where the bobol would start.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » December 26th, 2020, 10:58 am

So no one taking a stab at funding the refining losses?

Smash you the Forex banton-no suggestions to take a stab at making it work?

ZR- the oil tycoon-how were you moving forward with the refinery from Aug 2018?
With that resume you post on the 24th-that supposed to be easy for you.

Dont tell me that you guys cant make any real suggestions that can be discussed.

Seems that the long beaten accusation of the govt not implementing the reccs is not accurate.
We cant continue as is- losses, and the resolution of the financing packages needed working and profitable to be able to repay and secure the debt roll need time to work up.
We cant downsize because the union say no.

We have both reports, and the unions position to the implementation of the Solomon report.

Lashley report was a WASTE OF FKIN TIME....see below.

Other than closure- what would you do?

Allyuh must be able to suggest a better solution...

be pragmatic.

The Lashley reports reccs:
8. RECOMMENDATIONS
Having regard to our findings and given our mandate to “make a recommendation for the
restructuring of Petrotrin”, the Team proposes the following two recommendations. The
two, we firmly believe, are the strategic decisions, which must be taken to ensure that
subsequently, the Company implements the appropriate technical, financial and
management actions necessary for it to become “a sustainable profitable entity that pays
taxes, meets the HSE standards of the Nation, pays dividends, and earns significant foreign
exchange.”
1. Governance Arrangements
To enable the Company to have a consistent, focused mandate, facilitate long term
planning and avoid the frequent changes in Board and Management, we
recommend:
a. The members of the Board of Directors are selected through a process, which
provides for comprehensive and transparent input and feedback from key
stakeholders to ensure that members possess the relevant experience and
capabilities to address priority matters critical to the transformation and
sustainable development of the company.
b. Petrotrin adopts and adheres to the laws and regulations that apply to publicly
listed companies, especially with respect to transparency and accountability.
c. Petrotrin adopts a policy whereby the Board of Directors terms of office are
cycled in such a manner as to ensure that, at all times, there is continuity of
membership of at least 50% of the Board.
2. Organizational Structure
To enable the Executive and Senior Management to focus on strategic and
operational responsibilities of managing profitable businesses for which they will
be held accountable, we recommend:
33 | P a g e
a. The establishment of three operationally independent business units namely;
 Trinmar
 Land Exploration and Production
 Refining and Marketing
b. That each of these business units be led and managed by persons who would be
responsible for organizing all the resources (financial, human, physical) within
the unit in order to achieve the established targets; and be held accountable for
the business’ performance.
c. That the Office of the President of the Company be accountable for ensuring
the implementation of policy across all business units, providing oversight and
strategic leadership of the Company.

Yes that ALL their reccs.
:roll:

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 26th, 2020, 8:17 pm

So no one taking a stab at funding the refining losses?

Smash you the Forex banton-no suggestions to take a stab at making it work?

ZR- the oil tycoon-how were you moving forward with the refinery from Aug 2018?
With that resume you post on the 24th-that supposed to be easy for you.

Dont tell me that you guys cant make any real suggestions that can be discussed.

Seems that the long beaten accusation of the govt not implementing the reccs is not accurate.
We cant continue as is- losses, and the resolution of the financing packages needed working and profitable to be able to repay and secure the debt roll need time to work up.
We cant downsize because the union say no.

We have both reports, and the unions position to the implementation of the Solomon report.

Lashley report was a WASTE OF FKIN TIME....see below.

Other than closure- what would you do?

Allyuh must be able to suggest a better solution...

be pragmatic.
The refinery should never have been completely shut down firstly. The recommendations should have been adopted, communicated, and carried out, who vex lorse! The requisite time to see the effectiveness would then be allowed to pass, but regular evaluations of the progress, and tweaking of the plan where appropriate.
IF staff cuts are deemed necessary, share the pain equally. Management not pulling their weight, must go, never mind their political affiliation and appointments. Workers cannot be expected to bear the brunt of any staff reduction alone.
A key in all this is the GORTT MUST not micromanage it! Appoint competent, proven managers, give them the tools/resources and get the hell out of the way.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » December 27th, 2020, 5:35 pm

[quote]The refinery should never have been completely shut down firstly. The recommendations should have been adopted, communicated, and carried out, who vex lorse! The requisite time to see the effectiveness would then be allowed to pass, but regular evaluations of the progress, and tweaking of the plan where appropriate.
IF staff cuts are deemed necessary, share the pain equally. Management not pulling their weight, must go, never mind their political affiliation and appointments. Workers cannot be expected to bear the brunt of any staff reduction alone.
A key in all this is the GORTT MUST not micromanage it! Appoint competent, proven managers, give them the tools/resources and get the hell out of the way.[/quote

The only way for the refinery to survive was not just cutting staff-but keeping the right staff at ALL levels.
That said the numerical majority would have come from 'workers' based on Solomons analysis.

The way I see it- is that the union would have done what the union always did- strike/call industrial action- and this would have cost Petrotrin everything it didnt have- Cash/USD, efficiency and time,-
Industrial action means 80% ish of the refinery output is exported-that and the USD inflow would be interrupted.
Local ops would slow down and or stop.

They missed the boat on communicating to the public- and letting the union fall out of favor with the population-that should have started in 2015.Publish a condensed version-and let all see what was needed.

In order to refinance the 2019 bonds -in the environment that existed then then they needed time-and Heritage needed to be up and running and demonstrating cash flow at levels to support the refi.
That meant production improvements etc.

Again TIME is what the problem was.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 27th, 2020, 9:18 pm

Redman wrote:
The refinery should never have been completely shut down firstly. The recommendations should have been adopted, communicated, and carried out, who vex lorse! The requisite time to see the effectiveness would then be allowed to pass, but regular evaluations of the progress, and tweaking of the plan where appropriate.
A key in all this is the GORTT MUST not micromanage it! Appoint competent, proven managers, give them the tools/resources and get the hell out of the way.[/quote

The only way for the refinery to survive was not just cutting staff-but keeping the right staff at ALL levels.
That said the numerical majority would have come from 'workers' based on Solomons analysis.

The way I see it- is that the union would have done what the union always did- strike/call industrial action- and this would have cost Petrotrin everything it didnt have- Cash/USD, efficiency and time,-
Industrial action means 80% ish of the refinery output is exported-that and the USD inflow would be interrupted.

They missed the boat on communicating to the public- and letting the union fall out of favor with the population-that should have started in 2015.Publish a condensed version-and let all see what was needed.

In order to refinance the 2019 bonds -in the environment that existed then then they needed time-and Heritage needed to be up and running and demonstrating cash flow at levels to support the refi.

So what did PT lose by shutting down everything entirely? Everything. What did the union gain? Nothing, but it cost the economy, employees, fenceline communities, and contractors plenty. As I said, the union should have been made aware of the report and its recommendations, given a chance to slavage the necessary jobs, and if they couldn't or wouldn't buy in, told to take a flying fack.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » December 28th, 2020, 12:55 am

sMASH wrote:the bubble might have started there. what did imburt do to deflate it?
cause pnm had a full and complete term in office to put things in place and in their second consecutive term, local businesses are NOW refusing to accept TT.

the bubble started long ago, its NOW bursting. that is on the heel of a full PNM term in office, not any other party.

Well now that you admitting it started there, then the "they" is Jwala and the PP currency policy.

Nevertheless, this is nothing Imbert or a 5Yr term can turn around. There was a loss in confidence in the TTD b/c of Jwala's actions and it was followed by a drop in O&G prices. Since then prices have remained low and O&G is 70% of our exports.

The way to resolve it whether who in govt is a deflation of the TTD. And while USD might become available, prices will skyrocket.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » December 28th, 2020, 6:53 am

De Dragon wrote:
Redman wrote:

So what did PT lose by shutting down everything entirely? Everything. What did the union gain? Nothing, but it cost the economy, employees, fenceline communities, and contractors plenty. As I said, the union should have been made aware of the report and its recommendations, given a chance to slavage the necessary jobs, and if they couldn't or wouldn't buy in, told to take a flying fack.

You’re thinking only in terms of the refinery.
They needed Heritage as the cash cow up and selling oil,new corporate entity un encumbered.
And you are ignoring the union’s historical policy of industrial action alongside legal action.

Staying open means dealing with the union.
Downsizing means dealing with the union.
Opting to close is in the singular remit of the owner.No court can force an owner not to close.

Given the 400M worth of inventory of which 75% was there more than 15 years...plenty of the former business would have been reduced...things could not remain untouched.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » December 28th, 2020, 7:11 am

Redman wrote:
De Dragon wrote:
Redman wrote:

You’re thinking only in terms of the refinery.
They needed Heritage as the cash cow up and selling oil,new corporate entity un encumbered.
And you are ignoring the union’s historical policy of industrial action alongside legal action.

Staying open means dealing with the union.
Downsizing means dealing with the union.
Opting to close is in the singular remit of the owner.No court can force an owner not to close.

Given the 400M worth of inventory of which 75% was there more than 15 years...plenty of the former business would have been reduced...things could not remain untouched.

No court can force any entity, State or otherwise to carry burdensome staff levels to its own fatal detriment. Maybe they were afraid that they couldn't make the case for staff reductions while Malcolm Jones and his colossal fackery cost them BILLIONS. That wouldn't go over well with the allegedly union sympathetic IC.
This union was allowed to wield unchecked power because from its inception, PT allowed it due to political directives and optics. When the bottom fell out of that market, there simply could not be the "business as usual" approach, ZERO compromise.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » December 28th, 2020, 7:22 am

I was told that our Our industrial court ruled that inability to pay is no justification for retrenchment.

In Aug 2018 GORTT had no time, no money and alternatives that ran the risk of creating a default on the international markets

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 28th, 2020, 9:16 am

Redman wrote:I was told that our Our industrial court ruled that inability to pay is no justification for retrenchment.

In Aug 2018 GORTT had no time, no money and alternatives that ran the risk of creating a default on the international markets

what u were told was wrong, and used as the scape goat arguement for public service. the labor act specifically allows for restructuring with its accompanied redundancies. a person, via a union, may challenge it in court, and then the company will have to defend their decision in that scenario, but as long as the company has their records in order, will be able to demonstrate their case.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 28th, 2020, 9:25 am

Habit7 wrote:
sMASH wrote:the bubble might have started there. what did imburt do to deflate it?
cause pnm had a full and complete term in office to put things in place and in their second consecutive term, local businesses are NOW refusing to accept TT.

the bubble started long ago, its NOW bursting. that is on the heel of a full PNM term in office, not any other party.

Well now that you admitting it started there, then the "they" is Jwala and the PP currency policy.

Nevertheless, this is nothing Imbert or a 5Yr term can turn around. There was a loss in confidence in the TTD b/c of Jwala's actions and it was followed by a drop in O&G prices. Since then prices have remained low and O&G is 70% of our exports.

The way to resolve it whether who in govt is a deflation of the TTD. And while USD might become available, prices will skyrocket.

it has to be over a decade i was saying that our exchange rate was too low. cause when simple ting like provisions and green fig get imported, when we can grow them here, it means we unnecessarily eat up our forex. i know people with feilds of citrus just leave them in the feild cause by the time they factor in labor and transport, not counting chemicals for fertilizer and insecticides/fungicides, they just cant sell at a competative rate.
its cheaper to import than to export.

while unc didnt change it, they took steps to get the gas contracts going to maintain spending.

what imburt dem could do? raise it. they didnt, what they did to maintain spending? they put a cap on who could get the forex.

that is absolutely wrong. keepng it the same price gives the impression that every thing is okay, but its a false sense of security.

not only did imburt NOT do any thign to improve the situation, they put things in place to HIDE the reality.
it was more imperative that imburt dem rectify the situation in their first term, than before.

what kamla dem did was irresponsible, what imburt dem did was reckless and damn dangerous given the change in economic climates.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » December 28th, 2020, 9:41 am

sMASH wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

it has to be over a decade i was saying that our exchange rate was too low. cause when simple ting like provisions and green fig get imported, when we can grow them here, it means we unnecessarily eat up our forex. i know people with feilds of citrus just leave them in the feild cause by the time they factor in labor and transport, not counting chemicals for fertilizer and insecticides/fungicides, they just cant sell at a competative rate.

while unc didnt change it, they took steps to get the gas contracts going to maintain spending.

what imburt dem could do? raise it. they didnt, what they did to maintain spending? they put a cap on who could get the forex.

that is absolutely wrong. keepng it the same price gives the impression that every thing is okay, but its a false sense of security.

not only did imburt NOT do any thign to improve the situation, they put things in place to HIDE the reality.
it was more imperative that imburt dem rectify the situation in their first term, than before.

what kamla dem did was irresponsible, what imburt dem did was reckless and damn dangerous given the change in economic climates.

In the same way that you were initially wrong on who created the forex bubble you are wrong on this.

Imbert did slightly devalue the TTD from 6.3 to 1 to 6.7 to 1

The PP allowed for gas exploration contracts to write off their taxes against their exploration expenses. While that would have increased activity it would have dropped tax revenue, a major source of forex. It was Imbert's royalties policy that cause revenue to increase.

There is no magic wand to be waved to solve our forex shortage and not cause huge inflation. Suriname an economy most like ours own had to devalue their currency by half and there is still trouble.

You are trying all how to blame Imbert but the facts not agreeing with you.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » December 28th, 2020, 11:03 am

Habit7 wrote:
sMASH wrote:
Habit7 wrote:

In the same way that you were initially wrong on who created the forex bubble you are wrong on this.

Imbert did slightly devalue the TTD from 6.3 to 1 to 6.7 to 1

The PP allowed for gas exploration contracts to write off their taxes against their exploration expenses. While that would have increased activity it would have dropped tax revenue, a major source of forex. It was Imbert's royalties policy that cause revenue to increase.

There is no magic wand to be waved to solve our forex shortage and not cause huge inflation. Suriname an economy most like ours own had to devalue their currency by half and there is still trouble.

You are trying all how to blame Imbert but the facts not agreeing with you.

still cheaper to import dasheen than local, so then its not enough. that rate needs to go up and up and up. and they gonna wait till it run out then to change it, and then its too late. cause the little it have will be calling all kinda monies.

so imburt dem decide to increase taxes. increasing how much they levying on the companies, when prices had dropped world wide is surety to stagnate the industry... so said so done.

continue, and u will see more of the likes of rowley mandating that ngc foot the turnaround expenses just to say that the plant not shut down. it aint making money, actually costing money cause u have to pay upkeep, but damned if they print in express that another plant shut down.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » December 28th, 2020, 11:32 am

It is cheaper to import dasheen because wages are lower in other countries. It is called globalism.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 28th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Habit7 wrote:It is cheaper to import dasheen because wages are lower in other countries. It is called globalism.
I thought the red government trying to save forex and support real local (not 1%)

Now we buying Yams, dasdeen and kurmar

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » December 28th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Habit7 wrote:It is cheaper to import dasheen because wages are lower in other countries. It is called globalism.

So why do tariffs exist then?

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » December 28th, 2020, 12:18 pm

teems1 wrote:

Some suppliers can still supply products cheaper even with tariffs. Plus with trade agreements like Caricom, there are no tariffs or they are reduced.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » December 28th, 2020, 12:23 pm

Habit7 wrote:
teems1 wrote:

Some suppliers can still supply products cheaper even with tariffs. Plus with trade agreements like Caricom, there are no tariffs or they are reduced.
Caricom is a total failure , they are of little benefit to Trinidad citizens.

Time for triniexit

teems1
punchin NOS

Postby teems1 » December 28th, 2020, 12:38 pm

Habit7 wrote:
teems1 wrote:

The suppliers use raw materials from US, Brazil, India etc.

So even if you see Holiday, Chief, Creamery up the islands, they still cost Forex in Trinidad to obtain.

Habit7
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Habit7 » December 28th, 2020, 1:00 pm

teems1 wrote:
Habit7 wrote:
teems1 wrote:

The suppliers use raw materials from US, Brazil, India etc.

So even if you see Holiday, Chief, Creamery up the islands, they still cost Forex in Trinidad to obtain.

Are we still talking about dasheen?

Nevertheless, local manufacturers use forex to attain raw materials, but they add value and sell it internationally thus becoming net forex earners.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”