TriniTuner.com  |  Latest Event:  

Forums

The difference between the different grades of Blocks...

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

The difference between the different grades of Blocks...

Postby fokhan_96 » April 6th, 2018, 5:48 am

Question... How to distinguish between the different grades of blocks. For example, if i ordered grade 1 blocks, how to tell that it is actually grade 1 and not grade 2/3 (besides it being marked on the side of the blocks). Or do i have to just trust the hardware/ block factory

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: The difference between the different grades of Blocks...

Postby rspann » April 6th, 2018, 6:13 am

A lot of hardwares pass off second grade as first, but if you watch them closely you can see the shape is off . The third grade has a lot of cracks in them and are also more irregularly shaped than the second. If you look at a pallet of blocks you can see how neat the first grade looks.
Since Abel installed their $400m state of the art factory a few years ago they are hardly getting a lot of thirds anymore and even their seconds are real good quality.

agent007
punchin NOS

Postby agent007 » April 6th, 2018, 6:53 am

Wow good info, thank you as I wanted to know as well.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 6th, 2018, 7:19 am

Using seconds to save costs is not bad , because when you plaster it it looks the same . You just don't get the neatness when blocking up ,because of the slightly twisted shape . All you do is use a little more mortar when laying the blocks and this can be corrected. Third grade is no good because you get more wastage because of cracks etc ,and spend more to plaster ,because of the uneven surface.
A good idea which I always do is to cut the blocks with a grinder with a good tile blade . It saves blocks and all the pieces can be reused. When they are cut with a trowel ,unless it's halves ,the pieces go to waste.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » April 6th, 2018, 7:54 am

Spann...therefore you would say go straight to the source as opposed to middleman( hardware)??

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » April 6th, 2018, 9:49 am

Not really ,the reputable hardwares have first grade. You will recognize it when you see it. When I'm buying large amounts ,I pay the hardware in advance ,so they don't have to tie up their own money and I get a better

Real Tuff hardware charges me factory price and he adds transport only. He has a deal in the factory like a lot of other large hardwares ,that if they buy a certain amount for the month ,they get a special discount. If it's 100000 blocks I think. So they are motivated to sell cheap, that's why you see ads for blocks in the newspapers all the time.

The factory can maintain production levels as long as the hardwares continue selling. The hardware can sell at factory prices and still make money on their transport. The best thing to do is to wait until production outstrips sales and they have a sale. Buy in advance if necessary and you have the space.

If you decide to buy from the factory, factor in the cost of transport and offloading ( offloading two or three loads of blocks is no easy task) unless you have your own transport . I offload with my own forklift so it's much easier.

fokhan_96
Riding on 17's

Postby fokhan_96 » April 6th, 2018, 11:43 am

Thanks for the info..

- Rovin's car audio -
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby - Rovin's car audio - » April 6th, 2018, 11:50 am

3rd grade is rel chit block u will immediately know it , bend , cracked , twisted , brittle - it good to build dog house or latrine

1st is almost flawless , most pl buy 2nd grade which is good for most jobs ...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”