Forums

WTK: Ceramic/Nano Coating?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: WTK: Ceramic/Nano Coating?

Postby Ted_v2 » January 31st, 2018, 12:59 pm

Recommend me a sealer for a vehicle that Was just painted. Never saw anything yet

cadence
Street 2NR

Postby cadence » February 2nd, 2018, 12:01 am

Call 4782414 for the paint sealants...

Ibis Electronics
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Ibis Electronics » February 4th, 2018, 7:44 am

MaxPower
TriniTuner 24-7

WTK: Ceramic/Nano Coating?

Postby MaxPower » February 4th, 2018, 1:22 pm

VA777 wrote:
iM@st@1 wrote:
gastly369 wrote:Does anyone do home service of the ceramic coating...keep getting the run around with shady "detailers"

Try Premier Auto Detailing 769-0514 - Joel

He did my vehicle and does house visits

What was his average cost?

Steups...BOOOO @ Joel.

Too over friendly and did a half way work on a simple interior job. Anyone can apply a treatment, but not everyone has the time to do it right. Would have been better if he knows how to take his time and not miss out places. But hey he’s a trini, so expected right?

So if he cant get a simple job correct, not trusting him to nano coat for he to fak it up..

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 27th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Anyone use one of the newish DIY spray ceramic coating from Meguiars or Adams? What's your thoughts?

Yes I know it is not true ceramic.
Yes I know cquartz et al better.
Just looking for something diy, minimal prep and fast movements that relatively cheapish as I have 2 vehicles and not a lot of time to spare.

cadence
Street 2NR

Postby cadence » April 28th, 2019, 1:01 am

At present there is alot of hype in the Detailing Industry about coatings that are fictitious. I am trying to summarize this as short as I can...

1. Coatings require proper prep work before application to allow proper bonding. The preparation processes require above average costly products, additional equipment and knowledge.

2. Coatings are not lifetime, they diminish under circumstances eg. Improper car wash soap, harsh climate, abrasive detailing liquids such as compounds etc

3. A genuine reputable coating will be atleast five times more cost than a high end wax/sealant.

4. If you purchase a wax/sealant eg: Meguiars NXT 2.0 and apply it once in two months and in between washes use a polymer sealant spray as a drying aid you will be protecting your paint surface for way less money and in some instances will appear no different to coated or sometimes look better based on waxing frequency.

5. The maintenance on most coatings are not practical, expensive and "fragile" in nature. Any wax/sealant will be the better approach in most situations especially if cost and user friendly is your concern.

AutoClinique Professional Detailing
Fareed

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 28th, 2019, 9:58 am

Thanks. I already used NXT and Mothers Synwax so I suppose I was curious if the SO called Hybrid ceramics had any benefits vs synthetic waxes or carnauba based waxes or detailers.

I'm not questioning the prep, cost or durability of true ceramic coating. I am asking if the new generation of diy aimed products offers any benefit over previous systems.

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 29th, 2019, 5:54 am

i use the Meguiar's G190526 Hybrid Ceramic Wax once on my van at the last wash. I did as the instructions said, alot of water beading taking place. Van didnt get dirty as it usually gets. about 2 weeks since i washed it, pretty average looking. Slightest rain or shower leaving the vehicle cleaner than before.

cant compare to most products as this is my first wax im using.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 29th, 2019, 6:15 am

Cost?

Ted_v2 wrote:i use the Meguiar's G190526 Hybrid Ceramic Wax once on my van at the last wash. I did as the instructions said, alot of water beading taking place. Van didnt get dirty as it usually gets. about 2 weeks since i washed it, pretty average looking. Slightest rain or shower leaving the vehicle cleaner than before.

De Dragon
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby De Dragon » April 29th, 2019, 7:28 am

pugboy wrote:Cost?

Ted_v2 wrote:i use the Meguiar's G190526 Hybrid Ceramic Wax once on my van at the last wash. I did as the instructions said, alot of water beading taking place. Van didnt get dirty as it usually gets. about 2 weeks since i washed it, pretty average looking. Slightest rain or shower leaving the vehicle cleaner than before.

And where to get it. Thanks

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 29th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Car plus cipero Street

Sent from my GT-I9060C using TriniTuner mobile app

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 29th, 2019, 12:20 pm

I wouldn't mind trying one on my already weathered paint
Not looking for car show mirror job,
Just want something that dust will wash off easily and last more than paste wax job

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » April 29th, 2019, 3:30 pm

the Meguiars hybrid ceramic coating is cool
For something more durable but not as expensive as the high-end stuff, Meguiars has the M688 which gives that hard protective coating...need to do full prep and paint correction etc first for a proper finish. Needs time to cure, but doesn't need heat lamps

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » April 29th, 2019, 9:27 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:Anyone use one of the newish DIY spray ceramic coating from Meguiars or Adams? What's your thoughts?

Which ones in particular are you looking at?

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 29th, 2019, 9:30 pm

MG Man wrote:the Meguiars hybrid ceramic coating is cool
For something more durable but not as expensive as the high-end stuff, Meguiars has the M688 which gives that hard protective coating...need to do full prep and paint correction etc first for a proper finish. Needs time to cure, but doesn't need heat lamps

Its the Meguiars hybrid ceramic and Mothers CMX that have me asking these questions.

Trying to avoid a full paint correction etc job. Something that i can apply after a quick decontamination/clay is ideal.
Detailers will be detailers and recommend different things but lets face it, i wash my cars every 2 months.

I've used the NXT and other DIY waxes and they're fine. Just want to know of anybody tried any and if they have any benefits over said NXT etc.

For example, do they stop bird sheit from staining the paint any better? That sort of real world review.

NR8
Riding on 18's

Postby NR8 » April 29th, 2019, 10:57 pm

While not a "ceramic" spray, I've found that the Turtle Wax T-9 1-Step Wax & Dry works well for me once the surface is cleaned and prepped. Can be applied while car is still wet after washing and just dry off as usual. Perfect lazy man ting. At time of purchase it was less than $5 USD per bottle. Also fairly popular locally.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007TV6M0/re ... UTF8&psc=1

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 30th, 2019, 5:30 am

that is the problem with detailers,
they feel everybody wants a car show mirror finish.

I know three ppl who have been quoted figures of the paint "correction" work before application which
was typical candle costing more than the funeral

Detailers dont seem to care about customer joe blow who is not a contractor chile who blinging he fadda money
....granted a detailer would not want to risk his reputation

Strugglerzinc wrote:

Its the Meguiars hybrid ceramic and Mothers CMX that have me asking these questions.

Trying to avoid a full paint correction etc job. Something that i can apply after a quick decontamination/clay is ideal.
Detailers will be detailers and recommend different things but lets face it, i wash my cars every 2 months.

I've used the NXT and other DIY waxes and they're fine. Just want to know of anybody tried any and if they have any benefits over said NXT etc.

For example, do they stop bird sheit from staining the paint any better? That sort of real world review.

maj. tom
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby maj. tom » April 30th, 2019, 6:12 am

I've been looking for the Mothers Clay Bar, or any clay bar really. Can't find locally. Saw a nice car detailing video on ChrisFix that claying the car after a foam wash drastically improves the fine details of the surface and prepares it for the wax. He also has one where he clays the windscreen and it picks up a lot of micro dirt.

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 30th, 2019, 7:28 am

maj. tom wrote:I've been looking for the Mothers Clay Bar, or any clay bar really. Can't find locally. Saw a nice car detailing video on ChrisFix that claying the car after a foam wash drastically improves the fine details of the surface and prepares it for the wax. He also has one where he clays the windscreen and it picks up a lot of micro dirt.

I bought the Mothers clay at Xtra Foods of all places. $160 for a kit with 2 bars, detail spray to lubricate and microfiber.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 30th, 2019, 7:30 am

I got one of the rubber “clay” mitts and it does a good job also

16 cycles
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Postby 16 cycles » April 30th, 2019, 12:08 pm

maj. tom wrote:I've been looking for the Mothers Clay Bar, or any clay bar really. Can't find locally. Saw a nice car detailing video on ChrisFix that claying the car after a foam wash drastically improves the fine details of the surface and prepares it for the wax. He also has one where he clays the windscreen and it picks up a lot of micro dirt.

mother's clay bar available in car shop in valpark….quite a variety of car care products there too...

lubetech also has meg's clay bars

can check iam for chemical guy's clay bars - call first...they may have distributed to a shop near you..

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » April 30th, 2019, 12:19 pm

pugboy wrote:that is the problem with detailers,

I know three ppl who have been quoted figures of the paint "correction" work before application which

Detailers dont seem to care about customer joe blow who is not a contractor chile who blinging he fadda money

Strugglerzinc wrote:

I was quoted a starting price of 6K for a ceramic treatment.
That's right, starting price.

DVSTT
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby DVSTT » April 30th, 2019, 12:33 pm

VexXx Dogg wrote:

Strugglerzinc wrote:

Damn. I saw Millennium on FB quote a starting price of $3K.

lalloboy101
Sweet on this forum

Postby lalloboy101 » April 30th, 2019, 12:49 pm

I tried a thing and it came out great. Used Meguiars car wash > Meguiars clay kit and a polish from Autoglym

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » April 30th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Have plenty men calling themselves "detailers" in TT... Atm

Strugglerzinc
punchin NOS

Postby Strugglerzinc » April 30th, 2019, 1:33 pm

DVSTT wrote:
VexXx Dogg wrote:

Strugglerzinc wrote:

Damn. I saw Millennium on FB quote a starting price of $3K.

And if we had cars that cost $300k then fine it may be worth it. $6k is 20% the value of my POS car. I wouldn't even pay that much to repaint the whole thing.

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » April 30th, 2019, 2:51 pm

well there ya go
If I built my reputation on flawless paint correction for people who can afford that level of work, why would I attach my name to a job for an average joe who just wants a decent buff and polish?
Even though joe knows he's paying less for less, at the end of the day, somebody gonna watch joe car and say 'waaaaaays all dat big name MG Man have and daz de shid he do???''

It's not a matter of detailers not caring about average joe, it's a matter of joe not part of their target market, and there's nothing wrong with that
Take a page outta cinco's book if you is joe: buy good quality products, put in the time and effort, and get awesome results

MG Man
2NRholic

Postby MG Man » April 30th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Strugglerzinc wrote:

I haven't done it yet because I haven't found the time to do decontamination and clay bar prep etc yet
But from my understanding it's not like Modesta etc and those hard glass ceramic coatings
But it does provide a better layer of sacrificial protection that waxing and polishing alone....it's longevity will depend on the conditions the car is exposed to, once treated, ie if its washed regularly, neglected, etc
For good bird poop protection that won't break the bank, the Meg M688 seems the best option for shallow pockets

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » April 30th, 2019, 5:16 pm

There may come a time when their skills will not command such a premium eh...
They better milk #72 and dem as much as they can lol

Ted_v2
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Ted_v2 » April 30th, 2019, 5:55 pm

i does use a decent carwash, meguires. Ironx every 6-8 wash, tar remover and now the hybrid wax.

For the price the hybrid wax is excellent, does what i need to do.

I look at it as a way to get a easy maintenance wash. Brisk 1hr wash and im finish now for a pickup, whereas before was 2hrs+ my van does get fingerprints easy, now it doesnt, i work in a dusty environment so its always used to get dusty. Now not so much. spray down with a hose could prep me for whenever i not feeling to do a proper wash

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”