The Law and Tinted Vehicles

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

pugboy
TunerGod

Re: The Law and Tinted Vehicles

Postby pugboy » January 8th, 2021, 7:19 am

i aint understand the beat up for tint so
is it that ppl want blackout tint so badly for style or to hide themselves ?

I drive a car with dark tint all around the other day, I find it was a real nuisance with the rear glass when using the rear mirror
cant imagine driving a car with front glass blacked out too

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 8th, 2021, 7:20 am

j.o.e wrote:
sMASH wrote:No scene,
I doubt tint will come in every single percent,
It Wil be in 5's or so.

But if u put 35, and the minor changes from one manufacturer to the next, would the meter detect it as less than 35?

Also, if it isn't calibrated and off, u might get tagged fir 33.

U really want to put 40% tint just to be safe from the error due to the device?
*KRONIK* wrote:Me eh know, i see they post up on FB they have a meter

But big man ting

Allyuh men really studing if it calibrate?
What is yuh plan? To put a tint at exact 32% and look to make bacchanal with the police?
Kenjo wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:N. Gopie and them have a meter
sMASH wrote:in this moratorium period, u should be able to go in and verify ur tint with their meters. or, certify the testing stations have the same calibration as the ones they will be using to issue ur tickets.

they say 'check ur tint'
i am like 'how, and where?'

Is it calibrated ?are they giving you a document ?

Legislation I saw had a room for error of 3% i believe.

given the tolerances of modern manufacturing techniques, that woudl be a very safe margin. if is so, then np on the accuracy.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 8th, 2021, 7:26 am

Kenjo wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Correct, VLT of the glass itself needs to be taken into account.

Also, some y'all need to pat down.
for years we have have been oppressed with discretionary interpretation of the tint laws. they actually fix that by setting VLT limits and using meters to remove the possibility of human error/spite/badmind/jelousy.
If yuh cant get the transport commissioner to give yuh an exemption, put he legal correct tint and stop fretting.

adnj wrote:
It Wil be in 5's or so.

But if u put 35, and the minor changes from one manufacturer to the next, would the meter detect it as less than 35?

But big man ting

What is yuh plan? To put a tint at exact 32% and look to make bacchanal with the police?
Kenjo wrote:
sMASH wrote:in this moratorium period, u should be able to go in and verify ur tint with their meters. or, certify the testing stations have the same calibration as the ones they will be using to issue ur tickets.

they say 'check ur tint'
i am like 'how, and where?'

Almost every vehicle manufactured uses a factory tint with a transmissibility of about 80% to 85% -- not 100%. You will be adding a window tint and lowering that number. If you use a VLT40 film you will likely get a reading of VLT32 to VLT34 and miss the regulation on both.

You will likely need VLT45 film (VLT38 and VLT36 results) to barely meet regulations and VLT50 film (VLT42 and VLT40 results) for any margin of error. Of course, YYMV.

Yup men said it was subjective and they wanted objective , now they complaining . Calibration for anyone who does measurements etc is very important .if the grocery has a weighing machine that isn’t calibrated will you want short change on your vegetables ?

u might be surprised to find that we have laws in the land to ensure that ALL scales, grocery, parlour, van side the road are calibrated and accurate. and all are supposed to be certified on a routine basis.
i eh kno, like when allyuh changing tire, allyuh does put a 60 profile in one, a 55 in the next, a chinee brand 50 in a next one, cause it close, it dont need to be exac exac.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » January 8th, 2021, 7:37 am

pugboy wrote:i aint understand the beat up for tint so

I drive a car with dark tint all around the other day, I find it was a real nuisance with the rear glass when using the rear mirror

What seems to be the issue for most is finding a shop with an approved light meter. I did an experiment once with two different tints(charcoal and black) both 35%. The black looked like 20 when it was done and after the entire car was completed it looked like 5%. The charcoal looked as it should be.
Im looking for a place to have my vehicles checked out and is pure failure.

aaron17
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby aaron17 » January 8th, 2021, 8:46 am

Strugglerzinc wrote:
eliteauto wrote:
aaron17 wrote:I see alot of hyundai cars with bubble tints which means they are failing on the rear back glass. Is that because of the dealer?

Noticed that too, also with Toyotas, that's why I passed on the dealership offers to tint my vehicles when purchasing, seems they use a cheap tint that lasts about 3 years

Bubbles on rear windshield may be specifically from use of the rear defroster.
Never knew that...will hardly use it then.

eliteauto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby eliteauto » January 8th, 2021, 8:55 am

That may be a possibility but not always, my 2 TTTL purchased vehicles had bubbling rear glass and it wasn't from defogger use, both vehicles hardly drive and drive almost only during daytime hours. Have a neighbor experiencing the same right now and usage is about the same

VexXx Dogg
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby VexXx Dogg » January 8th, 2021, 10:03 am

eliteauto wrote:That may be a possibility but not always, my 2 TTTL purchased vehicles had bubbling rear glass and it wasn't from defogger use, both vehicles hardly drive and drive almost only during daytime hours. Have a neighbor experiencing the same right now and usage is about the same

Absolutely true.
Wife's corolla started bubbling about 1 year after she got it.

The tint and aftermarket alarms that they give you are rubbish

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 8th, 2021, 10:41 am

Correct.
The TTBS has a whole department that calibrates and certifies scales from tiny grocery scales to weigh bridges.
sMASH wrote:
Kenjo wrote:

for years we have have been oppressed with discretionary interpretation of the tint laws. they actually fix that by setting VLT limits and using meters to remove the possibility of human error/spite/badmind/jelousy.
If yuh cant get the transport commissioner to give yuh an exemption, put he legal correct tint and stop fretting.

adnj wrote:
It Wil be in 5's or so.

But big man ting

Kenjo wrote:

Almost every vehicle manufactured uses a factory tint with a transmissibility of about 80% to 85% -- not 100%. You will be adding a window tint and lowering that number. If you use a VLT40 film you will likely get a reading of VLT32 to VLT34 and miss the regulation on both.

You will likely need VLT45 film (VLT38 and VLT36 results) to barely meet regulations and VLT50 film (VLT42 and VLT40 results) for any margin of error. Of course, YYMV.

Yup men said it was subjective and they wanted objective , now they complaining . Calibration for anyone who does measurements etc is very important .if the grocery has a weighing machine that isn’t calibrated will you want short change on your vegetables ?

u might be surprised to find that we have laws in the land to ensure that ALL scales, grocery, parlour, van side the road are calibrated and accurate. and all are supposed to be certified on a routine basis.
i eh kno, like when allyuh changing tire, allyuh does put a 60 profile in one, a 55 in the next, a chinee brand 50 in a next one, cause it close, it dont need to be exac exac.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 8th, 2021, 10:43 am

Shouldnt matter, as long as the meter shows legal limits when checked, they cant fault you for how it "looks"

shake d livin wake d dead wrote:

What seems to be the issue for most is finding a shop with an approved light meter. I did an experiment once with two different tints(charcoal and black) both 35%. The black looked like 20 when it was done and after the entire car was completed it looked like 5%. The charcoal looked as it should be.
Im looking for a place to have my vehicles checked out and is pure failure.

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Dizzy28 » January 8th, 2021, 11:31 am

The Metrology Unit of the TTBS. They certify everything to do with measurements not just weight.
*KRONIK* wrote:Correct.
The TTBS has a whole department that calibrates and certifies scales from tiny grocery scales to weigh bridges.
sMASH wrote:
Kenjo wrote:

adnj wrote:
It Wil be in 5's or so.

But big man ting

Kenjo wrote:Is it calibrated ?are they giving you a document ?

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 8th, 2021, 11:35 am

the idea behind the 'beat up' is that a regular driver should be able to go to a tint place, say they want 35% and when they get pull up in a road block, LO tint meters say is the same 35%.

variances will come from manufacturer to manufacturer and meter to meter.

all we are saying is, there needs to be some sort of mechanism and collaboration between the MOWT LO and tint places to get both of their meters synchronized.

later, they can set up a place in collaboration with the TTBS, so that private people can carry their meters to get calibrated.

but now, all they should do in the mean time, is just set up specimen samples of variable VLT's so that tint men could pass tru and check to see if they have bosch grade meters or alibaba crap.

j.o.e
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby j.o.e » January 8th, 2021, 12:35 pm

sMASH wrote:the idea behind the 'beat up' is that a regular driver should be able to go to a tint place, say they want 35% and when they get pull up in a road block, LO tint meters say is the same 35%.

all we are saying is, there needs to be some sort of mechanism and collaboration between the MOWT LO and tint places to get both of their meters synchronized.

later, they can set up a place in collaboration with the TTBS, so that private people can carry their meters to get calibrated.

but now, all they should do in the mean time, is just set up specimen samples of variable VLT's so that tint men could pass tru and check to see if they have bosch grade meters or alibaba crap.

Allyuh over complicating a simple ting.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 8th, 2021, 2:50 pm

This!
j.o.e wrote:
sMASH wrote:the idea behind the 'beat up' is that a regular driver should be able to go to a tint place, say they want 35% and when they get pull up in a road block, LO tint meters say is the same 35%.

Allyuh over complicating a simple ting.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 8th, 2021, 3:15 pm

okay, take a 12k ticket cause the tint man give u chinee 35% and LO meter read it 30%

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 8th, 2021, 3:36 pm

Me eh so dotish
I not gonna be fighting the law to be on a exact point.
I will run a 50% on my side glass and and 80% cuz i know to cater for the glass' natural colour.
So i know i safe.

sMASH wrote:okay, take a 12k ticket cause the tint man give u chinee 35% and LO meter read it 30%

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 8th, 2021, 9:21 pm

*KRONIK* wrote:Me eh so dotish
I will run a 50% on my side glass and and 80% cuz i know to cater for the glass' natural colour.
So i know i safe.

sMASH wrote:okay, take a 12k ticket cause the tint man give u chinee 35% and LO meter read it 30%
That's what people who have been living with tint laws for years do. Many shops in the US and the EU don't measure anything. They assume VLT20 factory glass and dial it in.

The factory glass spec is published by make, model and year if you need to check privacy or limo tints.

gastly369
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby gastly369 » January 9th, 2021, 1:22 am

Not that the kia and hyundai have a automatic defroster so the chit turns on when it wants... There is some online threads that show how to disable it on the vehicles
eliteauto wrote:
aaron17 wrote:I see alot of hyundai cars with bubble tints which means they are failing on the rear back glass. Is that because of the dealer?

Noticed that too, also with Toyotas, that's why I passed on the dealership offers to tint my vehicles when purchasing, seems they use a cheap tint that lasts about 3 years

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 9th, 2021, 10:27 am

Yuh cant just pull out the power jack?
gastly369 wrote:Not that the kia and hyundai have a automatic defroster so the chit turns on when it wants... There is some online threads that show how to disable it on the vehicles
eliteauto wrote:

nick639v2
30 pounds of Boost

Postby nick639v2 » January 9th, 2021, 12:39 pm

Before this whole issue I was already trying to get my letter for darker film in my rear glass. Not to hide me, but my tools and other ppl equipment and documents when I doing quick work during the day.. I got pull over for tint like 4 times ever, 3 of them when the officers saw that what I was transporting the gimme a Bligh.

Know how much times I get jobs in sketchy places and I see eyes inside my vehicle when It park up.

kamakazi
punchin NOS

Postby kamakazi » January 9th, 2021, 2:58 pm

Isn't there an allowance for darker tint on the rear glass(tail gate and rear quarters) for station wagons and similar vehicles

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 9th, 2021, 3:52 pm

kamakazi wrote:Isn't there an allowance for darker tint on the rear glass(tail gate and rear quarters) for station wagons and similar vehicles

ea851428-e29c-48b4-89d6-7acc1bae792d.jpg

All vehicles are allowed darker tint in the back but no lower than 20%

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » January 9th, 2021, 4:01 pm

According to https://tintglass.com/wp-content/upload ... lation.pdf
Most factory automotive glass is in the range of 70% - 85% light transmission. Only the clearest glass is above 90% and is not very common in most markets. When the glass is coated with window film the resulting light transmission is lower than the film alone and is called NET VLT.

Unless the tint caters for this 70%, then the tint film of 35% will end up being lower than 35%
74% natural glass X 35% film =25.90% VLT
or 0.74 x 0.35 = 0.259
x100 to determine the percentage = 25.9%

Hopefully officers take into consideration that clear factory glass is already 70%-80%

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 9th, 2021, 6:07 pm

Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:According to https://tintglass.com/wp-content/upload ... lation.pdf
Most factory automotive glass is in the range of 70% - 85% light transmission. Only the clearest glass is above 90% and is not very common in most markets. When the glass is coated with window film the resulting light transmission is lower than the film alone and is called NET VLT.

Unless the tint caters for this 70%, then the tint film of 35% will end up being lower than 35%
or 0.74 x 0.35 = 0.259

Hopefully officers take into consideration that clear factory glass is already 70%-80%

The law removes subjective consideration. The meter reads the multiplicative effect of added tint film directly from the vehicle window.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » January 10th, 2021, 9:36 am

So i know i safe.

I get 30.5% on the side glass that have 35% tint, when I put the ceramic tint I'll see what reading I get

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby *KRONIK* » January 10th, 2021, 10:16 am

Where you getting it tested?
Kronik wrote:
So i know i safe.

I get 30.5% on the side glass that have 35% tint, when I put the ceramic tint I'll see what reading I get

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » January 10th, 2021, 11:38 am

*KRONIK* wrote:Where you getting it tested?
Kronik wrote:
So i know i safe.

When I collect it by tech motive after the ceramic coating, he have a vlt meter, as he does tinting as well, so we check it to see what it had. The percentage varied by about 2% on various parts of the glass, so that alone looking like it go be trouble.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 10th, 2021, 11:47 pm

Kronik wrote:
*KRONIK* wrote:Where you getting it tested?
Kronik wrote:
So i know i safe.

When I collect it by tech motive after the ceramic coating, he have a vlt meter, as he does tinting as well, so we check it to see what it had. The percentage varied by about 2% on various parts of the glass, so that alone looking like it go be trouble.
2% is about the best accuracy that you are going to get from a portable tint meter.

-------

Enforcer II - TM1000

Measurement Range

The measurement reads out a value between 0% (opaque material such as cardboard) and 100% (pure air).

All Laser Labs, Inc tint meters are accurate within plus or minus 2% and are not affected by humidity or stray light.  They are reliable from 0º to 100º F, day or night.

Two NIST traceable reference samples are included with each meter.  The lighter sample is high transmittance (65% to 80%), and the darker sample is low transmittance (20% to 35%).

https://www.laser-labs.com/enforcer-ii/

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » January 11th, 2021, 2:52 pm

adnj wrote:
Duane 3NE 2NR wrote:According to https://tintglass.com/wp-content/upload ... lation.pdf

or 0.74 x 0.35 = 0.259

The law removes subjective consideration. The meter reads the multiplicative effect of added tint film directly from the vehicle window.

tint men have to take in the oem treatment when applying, in order to not transgress the limit. so if it already has an 80%, they should know to jess and the little slight thing to get it to not go beyond.

my objective is, is just to have the tints, the consumer meters and LO meters all in sync, so that john/jane public can jess go to a tint place and say, ' put ah 35%' and LO meters not say it is less than 35%.

the over kill with TTBS and test glasses is, jess so outlets can use as a reference to see if their own ebay meters accurate, or at least how far off they are from the LO meters.

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » January 11th, 2021, 3:57 pm

sMASH wrote:
adnj wrote:

or 0.74 x 0.35 = 0.259

tint men have to take in the oem treatment when applying, in order to not transgress the limit. so if it already has an 80%, they should know to jess and the little slight thing to get it to not go beyond.

my objective is, is just to have the tints, the consumer meters and LO meters all in sync, so that john/jane public can jess go to a tint place and say, ' put ah 35%' and LO meters not say it is less than 35%.

the over kill with TTBS and test glasses is, jess so outlets can use as a reference to see if their own ebay meters accurate, or at least how far off they are from the LO meters.
The meters that are used by law enforcement in the US are widely available for about US$100.

There is no "syncing" necessary. You use a transmissability reference just like you use a reference weight for a scale.

You need a set of reference transmissability certified chits to test the meter every day that you use it. And you should change those chits every year because of degradation.

The certified chits are about US$20.

Tint meters are new in Trinidad but they have been around for a long, long time in other countries.

2WNBoost
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby 2WNBoost » January 13th, 2021, 2:12 pm

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”