Forums

WTB: Matt Black spray paint for Rims?

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

WTB: Matt Black spray paint for Rims?

Postby Kasey » March 9th, 2017, 7:34 am

I am looking to paint a set (4) of rims matt black. Any of you have experience with this? The rims were chrome but they are flaking so I opted to paint them over. I already buffed them with a metal brush disc so they should be able to take the paint. What are your recommendations in terms of the following:
1) Brand and type of paint
2) Price
3) Location where I can buy the paint
4) Amount of paint that should suffice my application

Looking forward to your constructive input, and thanks in advance!!!

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: WTB: Matt Black spray paint for Rims?

Postby rspann » March 9th, 2017, 7:53 am

Just make sure the surface is properly scuffed and primed ,otherwise it would not last very long. Don't use
Bomb spray, use automotive paint for a proper job. You can buy 250 ml of matte 2k paint and use hardener in it . This way you can wash as you want without the paint washing away. If you don't have access to a compressor, you can buy a preval paint system in any of the Marine retail outlets in Chag. Like boaters shop , Budget marine or Majestic Coatings.

4a70
3NE 2NR for life

Postby 4a70 » March 9th, 2017, 3:10 pm

My buddy did this last august.... we had a set of old flaky rims cleaned it up with a wire brush... and two and a half tins of matte black bomb spray was used. We applied it in three coats. These are the cheap $22 per can varity found at all hardware stores.

nissan4life
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby nissan4life » March 9th, 2017, 4:02 pm

op plz dont listen to 4a70. bomb spray is not for that type of application. Man have chrome rims not old steel rims.

I 2nd rspann opinion, buy paint and hardener and have painter do it.
If you looking for a cheaper alternative you can go with plastic dip/automotive paint , last time i checked them they had some specifically for rims.This was used on some offroad rims already and if worked very well
Techmotive in aranguez

randolphinshan
Riding on 17's

Postby randolphinshan » March 9th, 2017, 9:05 pm

Why not do it properly with powder coat ?

dredman1
Riding on 18's

Postby dredman1 » March 9th, 2017, 10:28 pm

nissan4life wrote:op plz dont listen to 4a70. bomb spray is not for that type of application. Man have chrome rims not old steel rims.

I 2nd rspann opinion, buy paint and hardener and have painter do it.
If you looking for a cheaper alternative you can go with plastic dip/automotive paint , last time i checked them they had some specifically for rims.This was used on some offroad rims already and if worked very well
Techmotive in aranguez
Bhagwansinghs has the matte black plasti-dip as well.

It's a decent, cost effective way to "paint" the rim to see if you really like it. If you do, just leave it on - it holds up decently well once applied properly, If you don't, just peel it off.

There are youtube video tutorials on how to apply it to your wheels - even without removing the wheel from your car or the tyre from the rim. Take a look and see if that option may be for you.

Kasey
I LUV THIS PLACE

Postby Kasey » March 10th, 2017, 8:39 am

Thanks to all for all your input. I have done some research and found out the following:
1) A tin PlastiDip duplex spray is $75 at Double r in sando
2) They told me that if I am painting all four 22" rims inside and out I would need at least 6 cans (to get a nice thick manageable coat)
3) I priced a matte paint coat at Sherwin Williams - Epoxy Primer, Paint (the whole kit), and matte spray clear coat all costed $450. (the exact amount they recommended to cover all 4 rims).

I have opted to go with the more durable option: Sherwin Williams, as the plasti dip will not hold out as well as the epoxy paint.

Thanks again for all your input. The only extra cost I have to incur is painter labor, which I don't mind for a more professional finish, plus the painter is mih pardner :D

GixxerMan
Sweet on this forum

Postby GixxerMan » March 12th, 2017, 11:01 pm

dupli color has a kit , 2dmax auto has them..

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”