Forums

Why You Should Not Buy A Used Motorcycle Helmet

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » October 25th, 2016, 10:27 am

http://www.streetdirectory.com/travel_guide/56174/motorcycles/why_you_should_not_buy_a_used_motorcycle_helmet.html

A motorcycle helmet is one of those essentials that will help save your life should you have an accident while riding your bike. This will protect your head from a damaging and even potentially fatal head injury. Motorcycle helmets are so important that state lawmakers have even included a directive in the state laws that orders all people riding the motorcycle to wear helmets.

Some people though do not understand the importance of this accessory. In fact, some people do not even like wearing it because it is too heavy and too suffocating. Others find it a killjoy to not be able to feel the wind on their faces when riding a motorbike.

Motorcycle helmets are not really that expensive but they are also not cheap. Some who are not that well-informed will probably save all their money for the motorcycle leaving a really small budget for safety gears like the helmet. Some even buy used helmets instead of new ones. This, however, is one practice that should not be encouraged.

Using used helmets is extremely dangerous and impractical. Used helmets are actually worthless and what is more you cannot really tell whether they are damaged or not. You won't even be able to tell if they are relatively new ones or not. This is because the helmet is made from a hard outer shell that envelops a layer of expanded polystyrene. You will never be able to tell if the expanded polystyrene is already compressed or not unless you cut the outer shell. An already compressed polystyrene layer will not protect you from an accident.

Another thing that you should consider is the fact that polystyrene becomes brittle as it ages. This is the reason why old helmets should be exchanged for new ones in a couple of years as it may not be able to absorb much of the impact when an accident does happen. The polystyrene layer is also easily damaged by the sun and by chemicals such as gas vapors.

Motor bikers who always place their helmet near the gas tank will also unknowingly damage the lining of the helmet. It is also not a good idea to always let the helmet sit under the heat of the sun. If you can, try to park your motorbike in areas that are shaded. Pointed objects may also compromise the lifespan of the helmet by piercing through the polystyrene layer inside.

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Used Motorcycle Helmet

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 25th, 2016, 10:31 am

Good info!

RBphoto
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby RBphoto » October 26th, 2016, 7:58 am

I thought them things was never done oui.

cacasplat3
punchin NOS

Postby cacasplat3 » October 27th, 2016, 12:25 pm

helmets should also be replaced if they fall from more than 1m and manufacturers recommend 7 years from build date or 5 years from purchase date, whichever comes first.
some manufacturers offer xray inspections after an impact in the US.
considering the cost of an xray vs. a new helmet....pretty sure a nursing home wont mind doing it for the usual fee...you just have to inspect it for damage yourself....

my rule is always buy the best safety gear you can afford....

Morpheus
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Morpheus » October 27th, 2016, 12:29 pm

Good info...

baigan
Riding on 16's

Postby baigan » October 27th, 2016, 12:42 pm

Yep good info

Plus buying a used helmet is just plain gross lol

DTAC
18 pounds of Boost

Postby DTAC » October 27th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Buying a used motorcycle helmet is like buying a used condom. It works but, really........?

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » October 28th, 2016, 1:20 pm

cacasplat3 wrote:helmets should also be replaced if they fall from more than 1m and manufacturers recommend 7 years from build date or 5 years from purchase date, whichever comes first.
some manufacturers offer xray inspections after an impact in the US.
considering the cost of an xray vs. a new helmet....pretty sure a nursing home wont mind doing it for the usual fee...you just have to inspect it for damage yourself....

my rule is always buy the best safety gear you can afford....
It all depends on how much you value your head an what's inside it. Personally I don't consider a helmet unless it is snell or ECE certified and I only use full faced helmets.

Also, padded jacket, shin and knee guards and boots. Don't leave home without it. Been in several accidents and only able to walk still thanks to my gears.

pugboy
TunerGod

Postby pugboy » October 28th, 2016, 1:36 pm

many cars use foam behind the bumper shell,
should these be time checked as well ?

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » October 28th, 2016, 1:47 pm

pugboy wrote:many cars use foam behind the bumper shell,

Do new cars still come with that? I thought most cars just use a flexible plastic bumper for pedestrian safety now.

*KRONIK*
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: RE: Re: Why You Should Not Buy A Used Motorcycle Helmet

Postby *KRONIK* » October 28th, 2016, 3:11 pm

Slartibartfast wrote:
pugboy wrote:many cars use foam behind the bumper shell,

Do new cars still come with that? I thought most cars just use a flexible plastic bumper for pedestrian safety now.

No...there are inserts at various point between the bumper and the body

Ruff
Chronic TriniTuner

Postby Ruff » October 30th, 2016, 11:18 am

Slartibartfast wrote: Personally I don't consider a helmet unless it is snell or ECE certified

x2

Open-face helmets won't meet with Snell or ECE. I also advise against modular helmets, they come apart upon impact and can actually do more damage than good. Unfortunately, most of our protective services utilize modular helmets.

Slartibartfast
punchin NOS

Postby Slartibartfast » October 31st, 2016, 10:30 am

Yup. Too many people don't realise that. Modular helmets may offer good protection from the weather but in an accident its basically an open face helmet.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”