Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby Redman » October 13th, 2020, 5:42 pm

sMASH wrote:
death365 wrote:what i dont understand is why did they start with residential and not commercial/ industrial.

give the small man ah ease up

how can u get to live in a million dollar house selling pumpkin, bodi, doubles and chicken roti? they eying those since manning days.

She did it by using the same contractors that was doing all the govt work

https://www.stabroeknews.com/2012/12/23 ... ty-leader/

Sunday Express investigations have revealed that Super Industrial Services (SIS), the construction firm that did extension works at Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar’s residence in Philippine, south Trinidad, in March, also worked on Jack’s TT$2 million house in Hillsborough, Mt St George, Tobago.

In a recent media statement, Jack told the country his home was built by CJ Construction, a company owned by his brother Curtis Jack.

In an exclusive interview with the Sunday Express earlier this month, Jack responded to questions about any SIS involvement in the construction of his home and if the Tobago house was a “gift” from a local contractor.

He denied this, saying he was not “hand-to-mouth” and was solely responsible for building his family a “nice” home.

He also disclosed that he was employed with a Trinidad firm, Phoenix Welding and Fabricating Ltd, one of four jobs he holds, which allowed him to fund his eight-room, two-storey home overlooking the sea, without having to take bank loans.

Internet checks revealed Phoenix is an associate company or subsidiary of SIS—which means Jack was indirectly associated with SIS.

Sunday Express investigations also revealed a construction company trading under the name Casa Contractors Ltd did in fact work on the private residence of the Tobago Organisation of the People (TOP) leader.

Jack is on record as saying CJ Construction, owned by his brother Curtis Jack, was responsible for building his home.

Casa Contractors shares the same trading address as SIS, at #23 Rivulet Road, Brechin Castle, Couva, according to documents received by the Sunday Express.

There is no listing of Casa on the Ministry of Legal Affairs’ Company Registry.

But when the Sunday Express called the number listed for Casa on a list of companies compiled by the National Insurance and Property Development Company Ltd (Nipdec) online, a security officer explained that Casa was a part of SIS.

It is public knowledge that SIS, a known financier of the ruling United National Congress (UNC), was the recipient of several lucrative contracts from the People’s Partnership Government, including the TT$45 million Siparia Market and TT$70 million Couva/Preysal Interchange which Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar officially opened earlier this year.

Informed sources told the Sunday Express that Casa Contractors joined CJ Construction during December 2010-2011 to complete the job on Jack’s house in Tobago.

One of the workers who worked on the residence, which includes a swimming pool, told the Sunday Express: “There were two contractors, CJ and SIS, who worked on this really massive house.”

He said two crews were operating at the same time.

Told that documents he provided to the Sunday Express made reference to Casa Contractors, and not SIS, the employee insisted that “they are one and the same”.

“The crew from SIS had about 18 to 20 workers and the other one from CJ Construction had about 13,” he disclosed.

The worker, who asked not to be named, said CJ workers were responsible for the basic, more labour-intensive aspects of the job, including bricklaying, while SIS’s crew did the finer aspects of the job, including the plastering and more refined wood and concrete works.

He described the house as oval-shaped and said the two master bedrooms were located upstairs while the other rooms were located on the ground floor.

He also confirmed the SIS-linked company did not advertise its presence by putting up a public sign as is usually the case of many construction firms, who use the opportunity to advertise their business while carrying out a job.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 13th, 2020, 5:49 pm

sMASH wrote:
death365 wrote:what i dont understand is why did they start with residential and not commercial/ industrial.

how can u get to live in a million dollar house selling pumpkin, bodi, doubles and chicken roti? they eying those since manning days.

The question you should be asking is why shouldn't you.

Fun story time.
When I was a young lad, I was holding down a little job, and my salary was 700/week., and I used to save as much of it as I possibly could. Used to hustle on the side after work too, take the occasional evening jobs doing whatever.
After a few months, I bought a 910 bluebird, and the week after I got it, send it for body work and reupholstering, change the rims and I installed the music.
The man I was working for used to drive a royal saloon, and he was frickin stunned to see what I did with 700 a week.
A girl who was working there for 3x my pay, tell him she want to buy a car but can't afford to on her salary. The man point at me and tell she if I could buy a ride and have it looking and working better than his own my salary, she could do the same too and she hadda figure out she business.
But what he didn't expect was for me to enlighten him I tell him, the salt I go suck with a smile to achieve my own goals, not everybody willing or able to do the same so I is not a good example to reference.

Moral of the story
If you want something bad enough and ain't fraid hard wuk and sacrifice, yuh could get it if you willing to work for it.

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » October 13th, 2020, 6:59 pm

E bounce for that moral deh sins

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 13th, 2020, 9:58 pm

I tell you I spoke to someone who knows a lady working MoF and she said that they pleaded with the Min of Finance to not go after residential but to start with rental complexes and commercial and he outright refused.... but when you have a sadist as a Minister of Finance what do you expect?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 13th, 2020, 10:38 pm

Gladiator wrote:

I tell you I spoke to someone who knows a lady working MoF and she said that they pleaded with the Min of Finance to not go after residential but to start with rental complexes and commercial and he outright refused.... but when you have a sadist as a Minister of Finance what do you expect?

If it wasn't clearly obvious before, lemme spell it out for allyuh.

These politicians are nothing more than parasites that do not give a fifth of a fragrant flatulent fowl fanny about anybody but their own.
They see the population as livestock, mindless animals, there for them to put to work for politicians and their financial supporters gain while you suffer, and all the while they ignore your requests for even the most basic of necessities. They do not care whether yuh can or can't pay their unjust taxes that you will never benefit from, they do not care if yuh live or drop down dead. They actually prefer if you dead, ideally before you start to collect your pension.

This is what allyuh choose, this is what allyuh vote for, this is what allyuh asked for, repeatedly, for decades. And that is what allyuh refusing to stand against.
People get the government they deserve. So if you enjoy playing dotish, don't be amazed when they treat you like idiots.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 14th, 2020, 7:24 am

So when is the right time to regulate the largest asset class in the country?

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 14th, 2020, 7:47 am

zoom rader wrote:
sMASH wrote:

These things need to be kept a secret, you cant explain to the red Goverment supporters on how to save money and run a side line bussiness selling bodi.

Check Eden Gardens.....they inflate land purchases too.

Why pay 52m when you can pay 175m.

Only the UNC /injun / the non P word demographic pay for that....or all of us did?

RC was the lawyer on the Eden heights sales.....and the chair at NGC....and in a shocker...the attorney for SIS.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 14th, 2020, 12:50 pm

Not to mention the acquisition of land by the state.

Wouldn’t it great to nail Rohanie......allyuh always complaining...

Transparency in the Real Estate sector benefits all....

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » October 16th, 2020, 10:40 pm

Vasant carrying Prakash Ramadhar axe the tax torch...

Join me and say NO to Property Tax!

As our party, the United National Congress, celebrates its 32nd anniversary, I take but 1 minute to reflect.

To reflect on the years' long struggle towards the mud of the Aranjuez savannah, despite facing the storm of Oppression and Abuse , through this common purpose the UNC was born.

Our party has served the Nation, par excellence, providing many firsts. It is my hope that one day soon, through unity and harmony, our UNC can return to Government.

Until then, with the founding principles in my heart, I vow to continue to fight, against poor Governance and social oppressions such as the draconian Property Tax.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/vasantbharath0 ... 664752535/

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » October 16th, 2020, 10:52 pm

The_Honourable wrote:Vasant carrying Prakash Ramadhar axe the tax torch...

too bad Vasant going to be expelled from the party after the internal election. Maybe he can work on another recovery plan for the PNM.

Gladiator
punchin NOS

Postby Gladiator » October 16th, 2020, 11:03 pm

The_Honourable wrote:Vasant carrying Prakash Ramadhar axe the tax torch...

Join me and say NO to Property Tax!

As our party, the United National Congress, celebrates its 32nd anniversary, I take but 1 minute to reflect.

To reflect on the years' long struggle towards the mud of the Aranjuez savannah, despite facing the storm of Oppression and Abuse , through this common purpose the UNC was born.

Our party has served the Nation, par excellence, providing many firsts. It is my hope that one day soon, through unity and harmony, our UNC can return to Government.

Until then, with the founding principles in my heart, I vow to continue to fight, against poor Governance and social oppressions such as the draconian Property Tax.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/vasantbharath0 ... 664752535/

Ent tanty Merle and neighbor Wilfred say we need the tax... the PNM Govt has no morney so we need to pay the tax. They vote for it, let them have it.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 17th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Dog whistle for days.

By number 2 s logic we should endeavor to earn less....cuz when you earn more you pay more tax.

Well it’s all tooze.
Vasant trying to go down market.....this should be interesting....

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 17th, 2020, 6:11 pm

:mrgreen:
Redman wrote:Dog whistle for days.

By number 2 s logic we should endeavor to earn less....cuz when you earn more you pay more tax.

Well it’s all tooze.

Wait wtf is point 5 true? 2 years upfront? That's 3k minimum for most home owners.

In a freaking recession where inflation will soon be 20% and unemployment rising?

That's seriously a Mugabe vindictive style tax. Wtf.

Anyone have an example of how they're estimating rental value?

Say a typical 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home on a lot of land valued at 1.2M?

adnj
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby adnj » October 17th, 2020, 6:28 pm

Last edited by adnj on October 17th, 2020, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 17th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Dohplaydat wrote::mrgreen:

Well it’s all tooze.

Wait wtf is point 5 true? 2 years upfront? That's 3k minimum for most home owners.

In a freaking recession where inflation will soon be 20% and unemployment rising?

The way the ARV would be calculated the same way every valuation done in the history of valuations is calculated....according to established guidelines and whatever professional standards govern this calculation.
This gives a decent breakdown
http://www.instituteofsurveyors.com/ow/files/SRMVR.pdf

If it didn’t it would be subject to challenge.

The last valuation on my home,from R and P came in with a rental value of 4% of the valuation.

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » October 17th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:In a freaking recession where inflation will soon be 20% and unemployment rising?

see this is the part where I disagree with Vasant. We will not have inflation. The demand for goods and services in the overall economy isn't there. The money to sustain higher prices in the economy isn't there. The higher cost of doing business will have to be absorbed.

To illustrate, there was on CNC3 an interview with the boss of one of the gas station companies. They asked him point blank if he believed the floating of fuel prices would result in inflation. The boss responded that several times in the past few years government raised fuel prices and inflation actually dropped.

And he's right - the inflation rate for 2017, 2018 and 2019 is tiny despite steep international price increases and domestic tax increases. Even doubles these days effectively dropping in price - the $2 and $3 doubles have big crowds and the $5 doubles man by me making his bara massive. The flour and channa costs going up globally, but to counteract the drop in demand the cost of the labor - the work of the doubles man - is being pushed into lower prices.

Yes, the cost of doing business is going up, but the real problem is the collapse of demand (both globally and locally). I think we might be on the road to seeing deflation happen as people increasingly keep money in the bank and stop engaging in business activities.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 17th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Sadly Vasant is being dishonest.

There is no causal relationship between this tax and WASA.

Wasa rates going up with or without this tax....

He sounding almost as dumb as Kamla.

matr1x

Postby matr1x » October 17th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Let's cut the BS. The purpose of the tax is to plunder land. And pnm and their cronies have been dishonest

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » October 17th, 2020, 8:20 pm

paid_influencer wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:In a freaking recession where inflation will soon be 20% and unemployment rising?

see this is the part where I disagree with Vasant. We will not have inflation. The demand for goods and services in the overall economy isn't there. The money to sustain higher prices in the economy isn't there. The higher cost of doing business will have to be absorbed.

To illustrate, there was on CNC3 an interview with the boss of one of the gas station companies. They asked him point blank if he believed the floating of fuel prices would result in inflation. The boss responded that several times in the past few years government raised fuel prices and inflation actually dropped.

And he's right - the inflation rate for 2017, 2018 and 2019 is tiny despite steep international price increases and domestic tax increases. Even doubles these days effectively dropping in price - the $2 and $3 doubles have big crowds and the $5 doubles man by me making his bara massive. The flour and channa costs going up globally, but to counteract the drop in demand the cost of the labor - the work of the doubles man - is being pushed into lower prices.

Yes, the cost of doing business is going up, but the real problem is the collapse of demand (both globally and locally). I think we might be on the road to seeing [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflation]deflation[/url] happen as people increasingly keep money in the bank and stop engaging in business activities.

IIRC, Core inflation was 0.2% and headline inflation was 0.6% as at June 2020 according to Central Bank. I often wonder where these people shop to say that inflation is so low.

If deflation happens, crapaud smoke we pipe. I don't think we have ever faced a deflation.

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 17th, 2020, 8:38 pm

matr1x wrote:Let's cut the BS. The purpose of the tax is to plunder land. And pnm and their cronies have been dishonest

the lack of the annual filing etc enables land fraud....so you have it back to front....

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 17th, 2020, 9:13 pm

bluefete wrote:
paid_influencer wrote:

Yes, the cost of doing business is going up, but the real problem is the collapse of demand (both globally and locally). I think we might be on the road to seeing [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflation]deflation[/url] happen as people increasingly keep money in the bank and stop engaging in business activities.

IIRC, Core inflation was 0.2% and headline inflation was 0.6% as at June 2020 according to Central Bank. I often wonder where these people shop to say that inflation is so low.

If deflation happens, crapaud smoke we pipe. I don't think we have ever faced a deflation.

The april 2020 imf weo forecasted tnt to experience deflation

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 17th, 2020, 11:29 pm

paid_influencer wrote:

Yes, the cost of doing business is going up, but the real problem is the collapse of demand (both globally and locally). I think we might be on the road to seeing deflation happen as people increasingly keep money in the bank and stop engaging in business activities.

Some people might see deflation a good thing, not understanding that it's not. But let's not get too hung up on the possible end results to the extent that we forget to understand the causation for those possible outcomes.
A lot of people are losing jobs in all sectors, and there's more than a little uncertainty in the air about where we stand both as a nation and individually. All this uncertainty is what drives people to save and cut back on spending and keep their money on hand or in banks, which in turn shrinks the economy little by little and reduces tax collections, putting the state in a deficit, so they then pressure the people with fines and penalties and taxes. Understand, the more people are taxed, the more likely they are to actively seek out methods of tax avoidance(legal or otherwise), and the more you tax people, the less they willing to spend. The less they spend, the less taxes you collect. It's a cycle but one that can be broken or directed if managed properly.

We need to take quite a few steps before we can see any positive movement that can lead to stabilization and growth of the economy. People need to save, we need to improve our forex earning opportunities and potential, and the state needs to learn to be more efficient with its resources so that the people aren't taxed into oblivion. We're at the beginning leg of a recession, and you can't tax your way out of a recession, that's been established.

ProtonPowder
Riding on 18's

Postby ProtonPowder » October 18th, 2020, 1:40 am

Well it’s all tooze.

For land with a building on it they dont bother with the capital values

Is a fixed rate per square metre of the building based on the location and type of house. Multiply by size to get monthly rental value, then by 12 for ARV

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 18th, 2020, 7:51 am

Taxing your way out of a recession would contradict the 7000 per month tax free income.

This has been on the books for years....the UNC took the political action and even though recognizing the necessity had other motives.

It’s an efficient tax, and will go quite a way to the transparency that we need.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 18th, 2020, 8:03 am

ProtonPowder wrote:

Well it’s all tooze.

For land with a building on it they dont bother with the capital values

Is a fixed rate per square metre of the building based on the location and type of house. Multiply by size to get monthly rental value, then by 12 for ARV

I'd love to see the complete rate schedule they using, cuz something telling me even that and all might have some issues.

Kronik
18 pounds of Boost

Postby Kronik » October 18th, 2020, 8:32 am

Redman wrote:Taxing your way out of a recession would contradict the 7000 per month tax free income.

This has been on the books for years....the UNC took the political action and even though recognizing the necessity had other motives.

It’s an efficient tax, and will go quite a way to the transparency that we need.
I don't think the majority have a issue with the actual tax, it's what the tax being used for because it's supposed to be for fixing roads, garbage collection, water supply, etc like it is in first world. But that not gonna happen

paid_influencer

Postby paid_influencer » October 18th, 2020, 8:37 am

I'm pretty sure we are in a depression right now, given the downturn has been happening for several years. The COVID shutdown was the nail in the coffin of that debate.

the phrase really should be, "you can't tax your way out of a depression"

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » October 18th, 2020, 9:38 am

88sins wrote:
paid_influencer wrote:

Some people might see deflation a good thing, not understanding that it's not. But let's not get too hung up on the possible end results to the extent that we forget to understand the causation for those possible outcomes.
A lot of people are losing jobs in all sectors, and there's more than a little uncertainty in the air about where we stand both as a nation and individually. All this uncertainty is what drives people to save and cut back on spending and keep their money on hand or in banks, which in turn shrinks the economy little by little and reduces tax collections, putting the state in a deficit, so they then pressure the people with fines and penalties and taxes. Understand, the more people are taxed, the more likely they are to actively seek out methods of tax avoidance(legal or otherwise), and the more you tax people, the less they willing to spend. The less they spend, the less taxes you collect. It's a cycle but one that can be broken or directed if managed properly.

We need to take quite a few steps before we can see any positive movement that can lead to stabilization and growth of the economy. People need to save, we need to improve our forex earning opportunities and potential, and the state needs to learn to be more efficient with its resources so that the people aren't taxed into oblivion. We're at the beginning leg of a recession, and you can't tax your way out of a recession, that's been established.

the costs of doing business and acquiring stuff will go up due to govt and international influences. but demand will be reduced due to petrotrin and pandemic. so, we will see a kinda trade off between cost push inflation and demand pull deflation, and prices will have to remain somewhat not as high as it would normally be expected to be.

imburt dem will kinda get away... they will not see the sky rocket as we would normally expect, but a mild trailing upward trend as time goes on.
they will take to the platforms and rail about that, "the opposition predicted doom and gloom but the market balanced itself mr speaker, tnx to our prudent and careful management "

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 18th, 2020, 9:43 am

Kronik wrote:
Redman wrote:Taxing your way out of a recession would contradict the 7000 per month tax free income.

I don't think the majority have a issue with the actual tax, it's what the tax being used for because it's supposed to be for fixing roads, garbage collection, water supply, etc like it is in first world. But that not gonna happen

Sure.

But let’s not pretend that there are many that hiding cocoa from the sun

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 18th, 2020, 11:12 am

Redman wrote:
Kronik wrote:

Sure.

But let’s not pretend that there are many that hiding cocoa from the sun
Tax is aimed at Injun folk.

It's an injun tax.

Red goverment supporters will be Paying far less cause they know ppl

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”