Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Re: Property Tax in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby ProtonPowder » October 18th, 2020, 12:23 pm

88sins wrote:
I'd love to see the complete rate schedule they using, cuz something telling me even that and all might have some issues.

The rates are grouped into location brackets (bands) of each of the 14 municipal corporations in trinidad, and each bracket has a rate for the different type (class) of dwelling, except in areas like the highest bands of DMRC and PoS where one wont encounter a shack or a substandard dwelling.

Plus the adjustment for the zoom rader tax

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 18th, 2020, 12:41 pm

sMASH wrote:
88sins wrote:
paid_influencer wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:In a freaking recession where inflation will soon be 20% and unemployment rising?

see this is the part where I disagree with Vasant. We will not have inflation. The demand for goods and services in the overall economy isn't there. The money to sustain higher prices in the economy isn't there. The higher cost of doing business will have to be absorbed.

To illustrate, there was on CNC3 an interview with the boss of one of the gas station companies. They asked him point blank if he believed the floating of fuel prices would result in inflation. The boss responded that several times in the past few years government raised fuel prices and inflation actually dropped.

And he's right - the inflation rate for 2017, 2018 and 2019 is tiny despite steep international price increases and domestic tax increases. Even doubles these days effectively dropping in price - the $2 and $3 doubles have big crowds and the $5 doubles man by me making his bara massive. The flour and channa costs going up globally, but to counteract the drop in demand the cost of the labor - the work of the doubles man - is being pushed into lower prices.

Yes, the cost of doing business is going up, but the real problem is the collapse of demand (both globally and locally). I think we might be on the road to seeing deflation happen as people increasingly keep money in the bank and stop engaging in business activities.

Some people might see deflation a good thing, not understanding that it's not. But let's not get too hung up on the possible end results to the extent that we forget to understand the causation for those possible outcomes.
A lot of people are losing jobs in all sectors, and there's more than a little uncertainty in the air about where we stand both as a nation and individually. All this uncertainty is what drives people to save and cut back on spending and keep their money on hand or in banks, which in turn shrinks the economy little by little and reduces tax collections, putting the state in a deficit, so they then pressure the people with fines and penalties and taxes. Understand, the more people are taxed, the more likely they are to actively seek out methods of tax avoidance(legal or otherwise), and the more you tax people, the less they willing to spend. The less they spend, the less taxes you collect. It's a cycle but one that can be broken or directed if managed properly.

We need to take quite a few steps before we can see any positive movement that can lead to stabilization and growth of the economy. People need to save, we need to improve our forex earning opportunities and potential, and the state needs to learn to be more efficient with its resources so that the people aren't taxed into oblivion. We're at the beginning leg of a recession, and you can't tax your way out of a recession, that's been established.

the costs of doing business and acquiring stuff will go up due to govt and international influences. but demand will be reduced due to petrotrin and pandemic. so, we will see a kinda trade off between cost push inflation and demand pull deflation, and prices will have to remain somewhat not as high as it would normally be expected to be.

imburt dem will kinda get away... they will not see the sky rocket as we would normally expect, but a mild trailing upward trend as time goes on.
they will take to the platforms and rail about that, "the opposition predicted doom and gloom but the market balanced itself mr speaker, tnx to our prudent and careful management "

There will be deflation in some sectors, but obviously, with ttec, Wasa, more taxes....there will be inevitable inflation, especially with food. We don't generally price things according to market value in Trinidad, so don't expect a huge drop.

I do expect finally some real estate reduction.

Lou Screuz
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Lou Screuz » October 18th, 2020, 4:21 pm

i

think that

Property Tax should be a flat rate.

change my mind 0X

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » October 18th, 2020, 4:31 pm

Redman wrote:
matr1x wrote:Let's cut the BS. The purpose of the tax is to plunder land. And pnm and their cronies have been dishonest

the lack of the annual filing etc enables land fraud....so you have it back to front....

That is the logic you coming with? When you buy land, there are taxes and checks and balances that normally deals with land ownership. This tax will not help with fraud with land ownership or buying.

The annual filing which serves no purpose but to harass people? Or more accurately help to keep track and make sure that in this economic hard times, which lands the hdc getting.

paid_influencer
Trying to catch PATCH AND VEGA

Postby paid_influencer » October 18th, 2020, 4:43 pm

matr1x wrote:
Redman wrote:
matr1x wrote:Let's cut the BS. The purpose of the tax is to plunder land. And pnm and their cronies have been dishonest

the lack of the annual filing etc enables land fraud....so you have it back to front....

That is the logic you coming with? When you buy land, there are taxes and checks and balances that normally deals with land ownership. This tax will not help with fraud with land ownership or buying.

The annual filing which serves no purpose but to harass people? Or more accurately help to keep track and make sure that in this economic hard times, which lands the hdc getting.

the hard economic times must be made harder.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » October 18th, 2020, 5:58 pm

I can tell you that the tax goal is to build up the HDC properties which has very little oversight. And its been known that the officers sent to scope out properties have been selling or been part of kidnapping and bandit rings

elec2020
12 pounds of Boost

Postby elec2020 » October 18th, 2020, 6:03 pm

^ watch out guys matr1x is a MP. He knows without a doubt what the property tax is meant for. Tell us more MP matr1x

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 18th, 2020, 6:24 pm

matr1x wrote:
Redman wrote:

Ministry of Finance have digital records of every land owner, land purchase etc from the dawn of time. They can easily find fraud now, they don't need property tax to do this, what you think it is?

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » October 18th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Dohplaydat wrote:Ministry of Finance have digital records of every land owner, land purchase etc from the dawn of time. They can easily find fraud now, they don't need property tax to do this, what you think it is?

matr1x wrote:I can tell you that the tax goal is to build up the HDC properties which has very little oversight. And its been known that the officers sent to scope out properties have been selling or been part of kidnapping and bandit rings

looks like we have a minister of finance and national security in de ched, how lovely

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 18th, 2020, 8:05 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
Dohplaydat wrote:Ministry of Finance have digital records of every land owner, land purchase etc from the dawn of time. They can easily find fraud now, they don't need property tax to do this, what you think it is?

matr1x wrote:I can tell you that the tax goal is to build up the HDC properties which has very little oversight. And its been known that the officers sent to scope out properties have been selling or been part of kidnapping and bandit rings

looks like we have a minister of finance and national security in de ched, how lovely
Well proton why don't expose the bias that is happening with evaluations .

It is clear that tax officers are targeting injun folk

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » October 18th, 2020, 8:28 pm

zoom rader wrote:Well proton why don't expose the bias that is happening with evaluations .

You make the claim, you present the evidence

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » October 18th, 2020, 8:52 pm

matr1x wrote:
Redman wrote:

...you need to check your facts.

I went in for a clearance last month.
The people in the Sando Rev office dis agree with you entirely.
Regular filings are important...the truth is that our laws have not been modified to keep up with modern ways of doing business.
Or fraud.

If you feel using an analog hand written system....to manage the largest asset class, and the single largest repository of corruption in TNT is ok...then have at it.

zoom rader
TunerGod

Postby zoom rader » October 18th, 2020, 8:57 pm

ProtonPowder wrote:
zoom rader wrote:Well proton why don't expose the bias that is happening with evaluations .

You know very well of the bias that is applied to injun areas, but refuse to acknowledge this .

SR
Chief Cook & Instigator

Postby SR » October 18th, 2020, 9:14 pm

Digital my ass

Sell or buy a property and see how digital any ministry is with regards to the paperwork involved

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » October 18th, 2020, 9:38 pm

zoom rader wrote:
ProtonPowder wrote:

You know very well of the bias that is applied to injun areas, but refuse to acknowledge this .

you know very well of the bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias because you know theres a bias

zoom has the intellect of al rawi in the courtroom

Dohplaydat
punchin NOS

Postby Dohplaydat » October 19th, 2020, 12:18 am

SR wrote:Digital my ass

Sell or buy a property and see how digital any ministry is with regards to the paperwork involved

it's digitised already, jus not in use yet. But soon, this was all part of the property tax plan.

matr1x
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby matr1x » October 19th, 2020, 3:02 am

anyone wants to know who maintaining the database?

Thats a lot of high value targets for the pnm followers to target

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » October 19th, 2020, 7:22 pm

Who is maintaining it?

Duane 3NE 2NR
Admin

Postby Duane 3NE 2NR » October 31st, 2020, 11:20 am

4e65bf23-12b2-4c38-b32e-743324394073.jpg
4e65bf23-12b2-4c38-b32e-743324394073.jpg (70.65 KiB) Viewed 3168 times

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » October 31st, 2020, 1:05 pm

Try that costume here tonight and you might be the one to end up on the ground :lol:

The_Honourable
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby The_Honourable » February 21st, 2021, 6:43 pm

PROPERTY OWNERS/OCCUPIERS:

The Valuation Division advises of the invalidity of Receipts and Property Identification Numbers (PINS).

See the Public Notice for details.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » February 21st, 2021, 7:23 pm

mc govt annoying. they doing crap and u have to take time in covid to go and sort out their mess cause they dont want to sort out what is what.

bluefete
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby bluefete » February 21st, 2021, 7:55 pm

That is one piece of BS.

Is years now I send in that info. I NEVER got any receipt or PIN.

They seriously expect me to WASTE my time again.

Doh make me cuss on 2NR!

Somebody should tell them -- eff orf.

That shows the level of inefficiency at state agencies.

Even if I had a receipt, there was NO WAY, I was going to resubmit anything. Let them find it where ever they put it.

Soundstream_626
Riding on 17's

Postby Soundstream_626 » February 23rd, 2021, 12:39 pm

The easiest thing to do would have been to amend the existing land tax rates and they would have been collecting increased revenue long time. Because Property tax involves the building and or ancilliary structures on your land, this is where all the problems come from. There aren't any provisions for multi use properties eg Household upstairs and business place downstairs.

You cannot forcibly enter my land If I don`t want you to, so how are you going to measure and evaluate my building properly if you cant come in? If you use a satellite map and estimate my roofline to further estimate what my building footprint is, this is more bacchanal. it doesn't show if its multi storey or even if that roof covers a building and partly a shed or car port etc.

I have no political affiliation but the PNM thoroughly under estimated the scope and complexity of this exercise and their insistence on continuing it is baffling. You can`t fault the employees, It is Colm Imbert and the PNM who are giving instructions.

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » February 23rd, 2021, 2:43 pm

Soundstream_626 wrote:The easiest thing to do would have been to amend the existing land tax rates and they would have been collecting increased revenue long time. Because Property tax involves the building and or ancilliary structures on your land, this is where all the problems come from. There aren't any provisions for multi use properties eg Household upstairs and business place downstairs.

You cannot forcibly enter my land If I don`t want you to, so how are you going to measure and evaluate my building properly if you cant come in? If you use a satellite map and estimate my roofline to further estimate what my building footprint is, this is more bacchanal. it doesn't show if its multi storey or even if that roof covers a building and partly a shed or car port etc.

I have no political affiliation but the PNM thoroughly under estimated the scope and complexity of this exercise and their insistence on continuing it is baffling. You can`t fault the employees, It is Colm Imbert and the PNM who are giving instructions.

this thing gonna dead just now. and I hope it stays that way

ProtonPowder
Shifting into 6th

Postby ProtonPowder » February 23rd, 2021, 5:03 pm

i was saying it for the longest time

ST Auto
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby ST Auto » March 22nd, 2021, 9:03 am

Hey all. Are the evaluators required to come inside the house? Or is it just the perimeter

christopherwilliams2
Riding on 18's

Postby christopherwilliams2 » March 22nd, 2021, 9:28 am

ST Auto wrote:Hey all. Are the evaluators required to come inside the house? Or is it just the perimeter

just outside, and if you have a gate ....they might just have to peek over it if you are not at home.

ST Auto
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby ST Auto » March 22nd, 2021, 9:47 am

So they don't need to come in to measure house?

88sins
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby 88sins » March 22nd, 2021, 11:22 am

ST Auto wrote:So they don't need to come in to measure house?

no, they don't have to enter your premises, but they law facilitates for a if they do ask.
Now, iirc, I believe the law provides leeway for the valuators to enter a premises and assign a valuation to a property according to the fixtures therein, not just the sf & condition of the structures on the property.
So if yopu & your neighbor have identical buildings, and they visit your home and ask to enter and you let them inside the building and they see a hot tub in the bathroom of your building ut he doesn't have one in his, that hot tub adds value to your building and increases its ARV. So you will end up paying more in tax than your neighbor that doesn't have one.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”