Forums

COSTAATT Accused Of Deliberately Extending Students Degrees Years

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

TheOwnerPO
Chronic TriniTuner

COSTAATT Accused Of Deliberately Extending Students Degrees Years

Postby TheOwnerPO » September 17th, 2016, 9:15 pm

EXCLUSIVE: COSTAATT Accused Of Deliberately Extending Students Degrees Years Beyond The Allotted Time

The Petty Room
We received this letter in our inbox, from a student of the College of Science Technology and Applied Arts of Trinidad and Tobago (COSTAATT) who has been experiencing difficulty in graduating from the educational institution.

She has asked to remain anonymous so we will call her Marsha Smith. Ms Smith accuses COSTAATT officials of deliberately extending the length of time one takes to complete a degree.

Ms Smith also states that other students have had similar experiences and are willing to come forward to highlight their plight. Efforts have been made to have the situation rectified, to no avail.

Tuck in below!

Dear The Petty Room,

My name is Marsha Smith and I have a concern as it relates to tertiary level education, specifically at the College of Science Technology and Applied Arts of Trinidad and Tobago (hereafter referred to as C.O.S.T.A.A.T.T).

In September, 2008 I enlisted at C.O.S.T.A.A.T.T to pursue an Associate Degree in Journalism and Public Relations. In 2010 I expressed a desire to transfer from the Associate Degree in Journalism and Public Relations to the Degree in Mass Communication and I was advised to complete the necessary paperwork and submit it to the relevant department.

In December, 2015 I completed what should have been my final semester with three A’s and two B+ and was assured that I was eligible to graduate. Almost two semesters later I received a phone call telling me that I was required to repeat a core curriculum course before I am allowed to do so. I admit to having failed the course in 2013 however I was advised by a senior lecturer at the institution that it was not necessary to repeat it and I could opt for an alternative. Incidentally this is not the only time I was given this advice and, after failing another course in 2015 I was advised to pursue a replacement course by a senior lecturer/adviser at the school.

I have now surpassed the credit requirement for the Degree in Mass Communications and I have been advised that I would be required to reimburse G.A.T.E for all additional credits I have attained. In spite of this I am now being asked by the institution to complete yet another course in order to graduate.

C.O.S.T.A.A.T.T’s position is that this is a core curriculum course however; I am in possession of an emailed advisement session sent by my advisor/lecturer in 2014 informing me that I had done, and I quote, “very many core curriculum courses and should ignore those completely and concentrate on other courses.” The institution does acknowledge similar advice given to me by another senior lecturer/adviser during my final semester but maintains that though this information was also erroneous it would be allowed to stand.

As a single parent, I opted to pursue a Degree in Mass Communications whilst my sons were at secondary school so that I could afford to provide them with the opportunity to realize their dreams after they completed their exams. They are now full time students at the University of the West Indies, St Augustine and Trinidad & Tobago Hospitality and Tourism Institute, Chaguaramas.

I am also at present rostered for 24 hour shifts at my present job. Additionally I am required within this time to present myself for court when necessary. As such I am in no position physically, mentally or financially to continue going to school indefinitely.

In November, 2015 I submitted an application for employment to the Public Affairs Department of the Trinidad and Tobago in anticipation of finally receiving the degree. At present my application is outstanding.
thepettyroom.com/exclusive-costaatt-accussed-deliberately-extending-students-degrees-years-beyond-allotted-time/

This is my second time applying to the Public Affairs Department of the Trinidad and Tobago. I also applied in 2012. I was interviewed on 17th November, 2012 and accepted by the former head of the department pending the successful completion of the Degree. More than three years later and I am no closer to achieving my very reason for pursuing a Degree in Mass Communications.

On 16th April, 2016 I submitted correspondence to the President of C.O.S.T.A.T.T Dr. Gillian Paul outlining my concerns. To date I have gotten no response whatsoever from her, not even an acknowledgement that same had been received.

Caesar_T
Street 2NR

Re: COSTAATT Accused Of Deliberately Extending Students Degrees Years

Postby Caesar_T » September 17th, 2016, 9:18 pm

Hmmm

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 17th, 2016, 9:38 pm

the part about not passing a previous course, but passing the successive ones, happened to a youth padnah.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 17th, 2016, 9:48 pm

I started there in 2006, got my papers earlier this year.
Did associate degree, had a two year break because nothing was offered for the BSc and so they drag their feet with the BSc.
Adding courses, removing courses, restructuring the programme, can't find info, incompetent staff, it lab never available, it staff never there (mind you, you pay a fee for this), printers never have paper or never working etc.

Not saying I have regrets and not denying I didn't attain a lot of useful info that wasn't pertaining to my degree but oh gosh man, buck up nah Costaatt.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 17th, 2016, 9:50 pm

I think it had a whole year no courses were offered too.

meccalli
punchin NOS

Postby meccalli » September 17th, 2016, 9:54 pm

I did my Bio assoc. there, had a great time, great lecturers. Uwi is another kettle of fish altogether in terms of the experience.

nervewrecker
3NE 2NR Power Seller

Postby nervewrecker » September 17th, 2016, 10:12 pm

Yes, the lectures are the best. Very caring and make you feel like family. They seek your interest and are not hesitant to share extra info.

Miguel000
3NE 2NR for life

Postby Miguel000 » September 18th, 2016, 12:55 am

considering that the country has 90% of tertiary education students in uwi/utt, can't blame them ...

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”