Forums

PNM in Gov't(2015-2020)

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

shake d livin wake d dead
TunerGod

PNM in Gov't(2015-2020)

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 6th, 2016, 4:07 pm

So we're a few hours away from one year governance by the PNM..

How do you all feel? What's your take on the last year in office? Do you see a change in your constituency?

Do you feel safer? How is your standard of living now? How do you all feel about the years to come?

Personally in the constituency on toco grande not one fcuk has changed...the mp just picking up from where Rupert Griffith stopped...

Let's discuss......
Last edited by shake d livin wake d dead on August 11th, 2020, 12:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.

baigan
Riding on 16's

Re: One year later!!!!!

Postby baigan » September 6th, 2016, 4:11 pm

They've been a train wreck from what I've seen and from what the public says lol

But I don't care much about politics, and feel the same all round (safety, standard of living etc)

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 6th, 2016, 4:35 pm

Most media houses reporting failure in the first year...die hard supporters standing firm and still blaming the pp one year later...

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » September 6th, 2016, 4:47 pm

Far worse than I imagined honestly.

cherrypopper
Riding on 18's

Postby cherrypopper » September 6th, 2016, 4:59 pm

No the die hard blames kamala/kamila not kamla ..two different people here.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: PNM in Gov't - One year later!!!!!

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 6th, 2016, 8:07 pm

Well its worse than what I thought it would be BUT its not like the country has money. It is honestly kinda hard to blame Rowley given the circumstances.

Realistically speaking could anybody have done any better? you can't change the rules of economics now can you? If you don't have money to spend where do you get money to spend while avoiding putting us in debt at the same time? America can borrow trillions from China and never be bothered to pay back anything because without America, China will collapse and they need Americans to spend to buy their crap.

We have no such leverage with anybody. The only thing we have is Eat an Food Trini mentality of corruption, littering, aggressive hostile attitude against tourists. I mean just look at the state our police service is in, why aren't they asking for A levels as a minimum requirement to be a police officer?

dude2014
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby dude2014 » September 6th, 2016, 9:15 pm

No matter which party is in Govt, there is a curse called back gold or crude oil industry.
Bas had the sense to create the stabiliation fund and put $200m in the first tranch.
Manning response was "If it was me I would have spend it".

Cutting expenditure achieves the effect of reducing the Gross Domestic Product.
As such, the Debt to GDP ratio automatically rises without borrowing.
Imagine what will happen when you borrow, it will continue to rise exponentially/geometrically.
However it rises, the ecconomists amongst us can explain. But again is "eat ah food", so unless I get paid, I keep my big mouth shut. Some of them should keep it shut until they know what they are really talking about.

The fact is with the legislative framework to borrow more without explaining what is going to be done with it will fuel speculation, cut expenditure further and affect investor confidence. The road show that borrowed one billion US$ is helping to put us in deep cow manure.

The country has money. It is the Govt that does not have. The Prime Minister (after the budget) himself said so. It is private money held in savings, annuity, etc which he is eyeing.

I blame him totally. Remember the bag of Band Aid, answers, and a Mannequin loving Labour leader.
Well the answers really dont fit any of the current questions. Like mummy when daddy getting pay, mummy can I get a snack, I hungry mummy, ....................

NUFF SAID ..................
Last edited by dude2014 on September 8th, 2016, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 6th, 2016, 9:29 pm

^ I agree with the part that Imbert has no academic qualifications for the job which he holds. But I don't bother saying anything because if you do people accuse you of being a UNC Agent who is simply afraid of Imbert because apparently he is UNC's biggest nightmare.

Well? not really because according to Richard Noray, Imbert is the poor man's biggest nightmare and we all know Noray to be a strong PNM.

But over all when its all said and done, there is little anybody could do, too bad Imbert has made 0 attempts at diversifying it shows he is just a typical old head politician with no real vision and only a safe seat to save him.
Last edited by EFFECTIC DESIGNS on September 6th, 2016, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BRZ
Riding on 16's

Postby BRZ » September 6th, 2016, 9:32 pm

False economic recession, govt has money But, they are not helping with their attitude.

sMASH
TunerGod

Postby sMASH » September 6th, 2016, 9:44 pm

i saw on fb that a set of pharmaceuticals have been removed from the CDAP list... attitude?

their attitude is to make living and education tough, while investing in swimming, cricket, and art.

what is the benefit of a cricketer compared to degree graduate... chances are, the cricketer will still have to have a 9-5, and will still have to have qualifications to get the 9-5

pnm jackarses

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » September 6th, 2016, 9:51 pm

Listen, when it comes to it the fact is PNM is a party that is not for the people. The seek to elevate a certain class and section of the country whilst not giving a sh*t about the average citizen.

PP, regardless of corruption (PNM is equally or more corrupt), nepotism and general bacchanal, were a far more patriotic party that sought to improve our lives.

Brilliant political strategist, they were not.

Sundar
Riding on 17's

Postby Sundar » September 6th, 2016, 10:05 pm

Budget coming up and it have a lot of cuts. Brace yourselves. More like brace your pocket.

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 6th, 2016, 10:11 pm

sMASH wrote:i saw on fb that a set of pharmaceuticals have been removed from the CDAP list... attitude?

their attitude is to make living and education tough, while investing in swimming, cricket, and art.

what is the benefit of a cricketer compared to degree graduate... chances are, the cricketer will still have to have a 9-5, and will still have to have qualifications to get the 9-5

pnm jackarses

Well removing pharmaceuticals from CDAP is the least of our problems. The real problem is some of the most common medication so treat things like diabetes are not available from the health facilities. So yeah we got big problems and not only that a lot of common medication that people need can't even be found at local pharmacies. And if it is the price is sky high we got problems.

Daran
Shifting into 6th

Postby Daran » September 6th, 2016, 10:31 pm

EFFECTIC DESIGNS wrote:
sMASH wrote:i saw on fb that a set of pharmaceuticals have been removed from the CDAP list... attitude?

pnm jackarses

Well removing pharmaceuticals from CDAP is the least of our problems. The real problem is some of the most common medication so treat things like diabetes are not available from the health facilities. So yeah we got big problems and not only that a lot of common medication that people need can't even be found at local pharmacies. And if it is the price is sky high we got problems.

Uncle have cancer and almost 2 months now the Chemo drugs have been out of stock. Some just came in but some still pending.

Numb3r4
Shifting into 6th

Postby Numb3r4 » September 7th, 2016, 3:11 am

Great is the PNM!

daas
Shifting into 6th

Postby daas » September 7th, 2016, 7:46 am

I read that BBW coming back?

Dizzy28
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: RE: Re: PNM in Gov't - One year later!!!!!

Postby Dizzy28 » September 7th, 2016, 8:19 am

daas wrote:I read that BBW coming back?

CNC has the story TV that she is back. Happy One year from the Peeonthem!!!!!

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Re: RE: Re: PNM in Gov't - One year later!!!!!

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 7th, 2016, 9:23 am

Dizzy28 wrote:
daas wrote:I read that BBW coming back?

CNC has the story TV that she is back. Happy One year from the Peeonthem!!!!!

http://www.cnc3.co.tt/press-release/mar ... -reshuffle

Sacked Housing and Urban Development Minister Marlene Mc Donald is set to make a return when Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley makes a major Cabinet reshuffle shortly, the T&T Guardian understands.

As the first anniversary of the People’s National Movement’s September 7 general election victory is observed today, sources yesterday confirmed Mc Donald is tipped to return to the Cabinet.

Speculation was rife that Mc Donald’s experience was being used when she appeared as the only non-Cabinet minister on Government’s high-profile team, led by Rowley, during last week’s crime meeting with the Opposition.

She was also at the subsequent news conference held by the PM to detail the outcome of the meeting.

At least four ministers are expected to be affected by the imminent reshuffle, a source said.

The T&T Guardian was told Rowley was “obviously not happy” with the performance of some of his ministers and would be looking to ensure there were improvements in the coming year.

The source said Government would effectively only have three years to ensure it was ready to seek re-election before the final year begins, and Rowley is keen to boost his party’s performance, especially in the face of negative survey results and ratings on its first year in office from various sectors of the public.

“The Prime Minister is clearly not happy about the way some of his ministers have performed over the first year and would be seeking to make the required changes to ensure more effective delivery on the upcoming years,” the source insisted.

There is speculation that Mc Donald my be given the Ministry of Works portfolio, as sources said she was a good housing minister.

Sources also said the prospect of National Gas Company chairman Gerry Brooks joining the Cabinet could become a reality.

Changes were also likely in the Ministries of Health and Communications held by Terrence Deyalsingh and former newspaper editor Maxie Cuffie respectively. But they admitted the appointment could also depend on the Integrity Commission clearing Mc Donald following its current probe of allegations against her.

During a radio interview on Sunday, Rowley had expressed his frustration at the length of time the integrity body was taking to probe a complaint by Fixin’ T&T that Mc Donald allegedly breached parliamentary rules when she hired her common-law spouse and his brother to work in her constituency office during the tenth parliamentary term at salaries above $10,000 each.

Parliament pays the expenses of constituency offices and its rules forbid the hiring of relatives.

Rowley said: “In the spirit of integrity in public life, when allegations are made against public officials, especially parliamentarians, the Integrity Commission must act expeditiously to deal with those investigations, determine whether there’s a case to answer or whether the person’s name should be cleared and the person continue without a cloud. But those investigations are dragging on too long.”

The commission has since defended itself, saying the PM’s claim was unfair and he had no details to support his claim.

Government sources said yesterday the involvement of Mc Donald in the Government/Opposition crime talks and Rowley’s comment on the probe were all indications of his desire to have her return to the Cabinet.

Calls to Mc Donald’s phone went unanswered yesterday.

Mc Donald’s history

Mc Donald was first elected MP for Port-of-Spain South on November 5, 2007, under then prime minister Patrick Manning, and was appointed community development, culture and gender affairs minister. She retained her seat three years later after Manning’s PNM lost a snap election on May 24, 2010.

After Rowley was appointed new PNM leader and Leader of the Opposition, he appointed Mc Donald to serve as deputy political leader and Chief Whip. She was re-elected to the House of Representatives on September 7, 2015 after the PNM was returned to power under Rowley.

Four days later she was appointed minister of housing and urban development, a position she held until March 17, 2016, when she was removed from the Cabinet. She, however, retained her party position.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 7th, 2016, 9:30 am

Nigel Henry poll on Govt's first anniversary: PM's job approval 51%

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20160906/news/approved

Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley has a majority job-approval rating which stands at 51 per cent.
This is one of the main findings of a poll commissioned by the Express, done by Solution by Simulation (SBS, founded by Nigel Henry), to gauge public opinion in the context of Government’s first anniversary in office. Six hundred and one adults were interviewed via telephone during the period August 30 to September 5, 2016.
Forty one per cent disapproved of the job the Prime Minister was doing while eight per cent were undecided.
SBS noted the 51 per cent job approval rating for the Prime Minister is “significant considering the PNM Government was elected by a 51.7 majority” in September 2015.

Allergic2BunnyEars
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Allergic2BunnyEars » September 7th, 2016, 9:33 am

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2016-09- ... work-ahead

Reviews suggest much work ahead

Louis Lee Sing

Former Port-of-Spain mayor Louis Lee Sing yesterday gave the Government a failing grade on their performance after a year in office. Today marks one year since the Dr Keith Rowley-led administration was voted into office.

Over the weekend, the Sunday Guardian published the result of an online poll which showed that 65.66 per cent of those canvassed were “very dissatisfied” with the Government’s performance, with 12.70 per cent indicating they were “somewhat dissatisfied.”

Another 6.35 per cent of the respondents said they were “very satisfied,” while 7.91 per cent were “somewhat satisfied” and 7.39 per cent were “neither satisfied nor dissatisfied.”

Lee Sing was one of five people who assessed the People’s National Movement’s performance. With ten being the highest rating, Lee Sing, who resigned from the PNM last year, gave the administration “a four.”

He said there was no conscience in the current Cabinet and the “Prime Minister had deliberately assembled a team of people who would demand nothing of him. Because they could demand nothing of him, they can’t demand anything of themselves and so they are unable to do anything that sparks...precisely because they are no sparks around their leader.”

It was clear the majority of the population were dissatisfied in the areas of health, crime, labour, housing, foreign affairs and energy, he noted.

Lee Sing said rather than look at the country’s foreign exchange earnings and try to generate domestic revenue, the Government’s plan was to sit, wait and hope that energy prices would skyrocket to turn around the economy.

He also criticised the PM’s regular oversea trips, stating as a leader he should be anchored with his Cabinet.

Assessing the performance of ministers, Lee Sing said he was disappointed in National Security Minister Edmund Dillon.

“To me, Dillon has not come to grips with the difference between running a controlled environment and running an environment where everything is out of control. They have to understand that the buck stops with them. They have to find ways and means to get the job done,” Lee Sing added.

He also condemned the performance of Energy Minister Nicole Olivierre.

“We do not have an Energy Minister. In the context of Trinidad and Tobago, the Energy Minister is the czar of the region. I don’t even know that this lady (Olivierre) exists. And even if she says something it amounts to nothing,” he added.

Lee Sing suggested that Rowley reconfigure the Cabinet to 16 ministers, with each minister being assigned a junior minister to help out. He gave Ministers Shamfa Cudjoe, Dennis Moses, Randall Mitchell, Fitzgerald Hinds, Jennifer Baptiste-Primus, Dillon and Olivierre failing grades but felt there was also room for improvement in health, education, finance and agriculture.

Lee Sing questioned if Finance Minister Colm Imbert would be better suited in Works and Transport, while Mariano Browne, a former minister, would be better to manage the Finance Ministry.

In going forward, Lee Sing said Rowley had to take the bull by the horns by working and guiding his “inexperienced” Cabinet, otherwise they would repeat the error of the past.

Maraj: Grit and courage required

Former foreign affairs minister Ralph Maraj said the economy and crime were two areas the Government collapsed on. He said the country had not seen much movement in adjustments, new earnings and the restructuring of the economy.

Maraj said the Government also needed to look critically at the exchange rate, which should be allowed to slide further while not much had been done in diversification towards new earnings. Another issue not addressed, he said, was the rationalisation of state enterprises to ensure accountability and transparency.

While he praised Rowley for calling on divisional police heads to be sheriffs in their areas, he said Rowley needed follow-up meetings every month with these heads to get updates on developments.

In doing that, Maraj said Rowley would engender a culture of leadership and responsibility which was what was required to reduce crime.

He, however, commended Imbert, saying he had done relatively well for someone who was inexperienced in finance.

“What is required is the grit and courage to make tough decisions. That is what has been lacking and as a result we have not seen any movement towards the challenges we have before us,” he added.

Ferreira: A year spent detoxifying

Founding PNM member Ferdie Ferreira said it seemed the Government spent its first year detoxifying.

As a political analyst, however, Ferreira, 89, said for the last year the country had seen more accountability, while wastage was significantly reduced.

“The major part of the Government in the last year was paying bills or trying to correct what went wrong. I don’t think people really understand the magnitude of the disaster the Government faced when they came into office.”

But Ferreira refused to assess the ministers’ individual performances.

“The problem with prime ministers is the question of judgment. People might be academically qualified for a job but in some cases they don’t fit in... they are not politicians. I think one of the problems is that with a team of so many newcomers, obviously... a lot of them without any political experience... it would take them some time to become politically acclimatised.”

He said sometimes ministers did perform but lack of political flare would give the public the impression that he/she was incompetent or incapable of handling their job.

Teelucksingh: Horse bolted on crime

Former independent senator, Rev Daniel Teelucksingh, said crime should have been addressed from day one by the Government with stakeholders from different quarters.

“You let a year pass. The horse has already bolted. You wait so long. This should have been the first thing this Government should have done.

“They have inherited a nation that is riddled by crime. I don’t think they know how to deal with this very serious problem with the close connection between crime, the narcotics trade and the high prevalence of guns in T&T,” he said.

Teelucksingh gave the Government a thumbs down for not opening the Children’s Hospital in Couva yet, saying citizens were suffering for proper health care while the building was going to waste.

“That hospital does not belong to the PP nor PNM government. It belongs to the people... and many people have been asking if it has become an instrument in a political game,” he said.

On the possibility of a Cabinet reshuffle, Teelucksingh said it was impossible for an OJT minister to learn their job in one year.

“I do not believe in any overnight shuffle of a Cabinet. What the Government has to do is operate in consortium with their manifesto, plans and policies and work towards that. I would be very gracious towards any government in their first year and give them a chance.”

Ford: Cabinet will listen to population

Yesterday, PNM general secretary Ashton Ford said when the PNM came into office they were faced with an empty Treasury and had to cut expenditure due to falling oil prices.

He said it was difficult to understand how some sectors of the public expected the Government to achieve a high level of delivery when the revenue from oil dropped from US$120 to $26 a barrel.

“It is inconsistent with reason. You can’t ask more with less. You could not ask the Finance Minister to be reckless with his spending,” Ford said, praising Imbert for handling the economy prudently.

Asked if an inexperienced Cabinet had created some setbacks for the Government, Ford refused to say.

“That is the Prime Minister’s call. He is the one to assess them and to make a judgment call in the performance of the ministers.”

In the coming year, Ford said the Government would listen to the population’s views.

“The Cabinet will also adjust the negatives and improve on the positives,” he added.

D Diesel Report
Trinituner Peong

Postby D Diesel Report » September 7th, 2016, 10:03 am

PNM need not worry about anything. Kamla is the new Panday. As long as she is there, they good.

As soon as they realise that, hold on for a rough ride people.

baigan
Riding on 16's

Postby baigan » September 7th, 2016, 12:38 pm

Then need to pull ah Kim Jong-un on some of the ministers here lol

EFFECTIC DESIGNS
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby EFFECTIC DESIGNS » September 7th, 2016, 3:25 pm

Yes we know they have a failing grade but lets be real, UNC never returning to power until Kamla and the Cabal goes and lets also be real again that eh happening until they get old and dead.

cherrypopper
Riding on 18's

Postby cherrypopper » September 7th, 2016, 3:44 pm

Only kublalsing will survive

baigan
Riding on 16's

Postby baigan » September 7th, 2016, 4:03 pm

cherrypopper wrote:Only kublalsing will survive

Redman
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby Redman » September 7th, 2016, 4:14 pm

I feel the doubles people purposely time their increase to make the PNM look bad...

yeah.

Dam Rowley and expensive doubles.

:D :cry:

TriP
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby TriP » September 7th, 2016, 5:34 pm

Darrel Take on the 1 year

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 7th, 2016, 5:56 pm

his take is on the opposition...lol

TunerGod

Postby shake d livin wake d dead » September 7th, 2016, 7:27 pm

so Rowley say he isn't afraid to lose his job after the next budget is presented...

in a nutshell: grease allyuh kakahole

mitch1980
3NE2NR is my LIFE

Postby mitch1980 » September 7th, 2016, 7:47 pm

one year later .....on auto pilot waiting on Juniper to come onstream to show growth of economy is taking place.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”