Insurance car repair- questionable practices

this is how we do it.......

Moderator: 3ne2nr Mods

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Insurance car repair- questionable practices

Postby jhonnieblue » May 16th, 2016, 12:07 pm

Guys quick question

My door got hit by a car that reversed onto it.
Got quote thru the company-southern sales, for a new door and repair and the car is new.

However getting some strange feedback. They are saying the following
1. Door is being shipped from Korea and would arrive next week. 2 week shipping from Korea???

2. Their repair center is on site in south ( by Mazda rentals) - dint see a single paint booth in the area

3. I requested the old door once the repair is finished- they saying the insurance usually requests the door. I have no idea why they would ever want a old damaged door.

What's you'll thoughts

Rory Phoulorie
3ne2nr Toppa Toppa

Re: Insurance car repair- questionable practices

Postby Rory Phoulorie » May 16th, 2016, 12:41 pm

1) Probably the two week period is for shipping and clearing through Customs and Excise. You are lucky they told you two weeks. Neal and Massy (now Massy Motors) told me a month just to import a clutch and pressure plate for my car.

2) I recall seeing Southern Sales' repair centre right next to Kay Donna on the Southern Main Road in Curepe. I am not sure if it is still active at that location.

3) If the insurance pays for the repair, wouldn't the old parts become the property of the insurance company?

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » May 16th, 2016, 12:45 pm

no i just called the insurance company. Guardian general does not request or ever has requested old parts as they have no use or place to store them.

The two week shipping is questionable as last week when i went in they said the part was already pre ordered and shipping from Miami. suddenly its now being ordered from Korea and expected to arrive next week (their words)

the repair center I'm making reference to is the one in south - located on the compound of mazda rentals

bluesclues
punchin NOS

Re: RE: Re: Insurance car repair- questionable practices

Postby bluesclues » May 16th, 2016, 5:03 pm

jhonnieblue wrote:no i just called the insurance company. Guardian general does not request or ever has requested old parts as they have no use or place to store them.

The two week shipping is questionable as last week when i went in they said the part was already pre ordered and shipping from Miami. suddenly its now being ordered from Korea and expected to arrive next week (their words)

the repair center I'm making reference to is the one in south - located on the compound of mazda rentals

This is incorrect. Guardian does buy old parts from clients if they are in decent shape or if they have use for them. Its not an absolute case of 'they never buy parts'. They didn't buy mine, but they do under certain circumstances confirmed to me personally by them.

Here is what u do. U get your estimate. Submit it to them, tell your repairer that the adjuster wants to see all the parts changed out or u will have to take your business elsewhere. Go and collect your parts as soon as they change out because if they lookin to thief they will say it throw out with the trash by mistake.

Anyhow. Better than that. Get a quote from a local Toyota dealer for original parts. Not sure if Neal and massy carries Toyota. But with guardian general u get a nice discount that brings them back down very close to foreign used prices because of an arrangement they have with n&m. This is all if u have full comprehensive. U were not wrong in the accident but your premium will raise a lil. U can process all your repairs with original brand new parts and labour to mount and paint etc and u will just have to pay a small ting. In your case is just a door so I estimate u might just have to pay a couple hundred under indemnity or something so I can't remember. Ask your broker about it.

But yes, take back all your parts because some could sell back used. You dealing with your insurance not your repairer so they have no business keeping your parts to give the insurance on your behalf. Smartmanism is evident.

bluesclues
punchin NOS

Postby bluesclues » May 16th, 2016, 5:05 pm

They figure u don't know the process so lookin to take advantage of u. Call ur broker and have a chat they will fill u in on all the details that is what they there for. Don't trust nobody.. 'advice'

S_2NR
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby S_2NR » May 16th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Dont trust southern sales. Worst dealership ever. Good luck

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » May 16th, 2016, 8:23 pm

Gave the insurance back a call. They said the don't want the door and it's mine to take. Sent them an email to get It in writing. Also called southern sales and told them the Conversation I had with my insurance. The guy back peddle saying I making an issue of it. Said I could take the door once it changed out. Going to send them the confirmation email once I get it back in writing from insurance and have all parties copied in the email confirming this. Once done will be handing off all emails and correspondence to my lawyer and copy everyone in that just for clarity.

I'm not going to let some smart man try to rip me off. Just want my van fixed the way it's supposed to be.

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 16th, 2016, 9:11 pm

What you going to do with an old damaged door? Just curious.

bluesclues
punchin NOS

Re: RE: Re: Insurance car repair- questionable practices

Postby bluesclues » May 16th, 2016, 9:52 pm

rspann wrote:What you going to do with an old damaged door? Just curious.

What them was gone do with it? Lol

buckredan
3NE 2NR for life

Postby buckredan » May 17th, 2016, 6:32 pm

most of the time company usually sub contract to other garages hence the two weeks never heard of insurance claiming old parts ,put a mark in d door only u would know of when repair finish u cant check to c if the door change or the old one is repaired

rspann
TriniTuner 24-7

Postby rspann » May 17th, 2016, 6:50 pm

The door is the property of the insurance company after they replace it with a new one . The thing is ,most of them cannot be bothered to collect and store old parts , so they leave it with the garage or owner. Colfire won't pay your final cheque if they tell you they want the damaged part and they don't collect it. A lot of companies retain valuable parts or salvageable parts. I removed two truckloads of parts from Beacon ,because they collect back parts from garages. They don't do it any more unless it is very small damages. I work for the major companies and they collect parts from other garages but give it to me free. Their only duty is to restore your car the way it was . There are instances of garages using back the same part and charging the company for it. When I am finished I show the owner the parts changed and also take pics of the progress with the changed parts.
Southern sales on Cipero rd has A paint room to the back of the compound, I painted a new car for them in it ,for use as a display vehicle a couple of years ago.

jhonnieblue
Riding on 18's

Postby jhonnieblue » May 18th, 2016, 12:43 pm

good advice there. my main concern is that they do the repair with a new door. think i will mark it to ensure and have proof in case of anything.

thats the basis of the argument for getting back the door. its just to ensure what was quoted for in the repair was actually done.

Advertisement

Return to “Ole talk and more Ole talk”